Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

I'm pretty sure there's no animation involved. The site probably just delivers the sprite that belongs to the current stage & breed for a given creature.

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Is it something where the coding/whatever has all these different cracking-stage images, as their own image-files, and it just inserts the correct image?

I feel like we have some evidence this is true, given the cracking stages are occasionally too large for the egg sprite during the initial release (we've seen pygmy or drake eggs with regular dragon cracking stages, for strange results!). So presumably, when there is no custom cracking (where each stage of course is its own image; although whether it's "simply" sliced out of a larger image I couldn't say), there is one unblemished egg sprite, and then the egg cracking overlay is computed into the image depending on the dragon stage.

Whether that in turn is precomputed, i.e. done once when the breed is initially released, or is done on-the-fly, i.e. whenever the image is not fetched from a person's browser cache, but actually comes from the server, again I couldn't say for sure. But since we have custom cracking, it would make sense that they're precomputed (otherwise you'd have two kinds of logic depending on whether they're standard-cracking or custom-cracking).

As a developer (but this is rampant speculation! Please don't take it as anything else ❤️), I would imagine there's a high likelihood the images are in some not-publically-accessible folder, following a certain naming convention, e.g. .../alcedine-red-egg-s0.gif, .../alcedine-blue-egg-s0.gif, et cetera (yes, those would be the same image - I actually deliberately picked that example to illustrate what I mean!), and the image serving script would just look for the file by simply looking at the stage it's meant to display ("egg" & "s0") and the species of the dragon ("alcedine" & "blue"), building the file name, and serving that. And if it can't find it, it shows a fogball.

Anyone know what gives with Baikala breeding?  How is it possible for me to get a green egg from a Coast male and a Forest non-Baikala mate, but a Jungle male and a Coast non-Baikala mate give... a green egg as well?

How are these things supposed to work?!?!? ;A;

The color of a Baikala egg depends on these factors:[1]

The biome the CB Baikala egg was picked up from: green Baikala are found in Forest and Jungle, while blue Baikala are found in Coast.

Male Baikala x any CB female dragon = Egg color of its mother's biome.

If the mother has no biome (bred dragon) or is from Cave, Alpine, Desert, or Volcano, offspring will be the color of the Baikala father.

CB Female Baikala x any male dragon = Egg color of the female Baikala.

If that's any help - it looks half right but I am half asleep....

5 minutes ago, Amazon_warrior said:

Anyone know what gives with Baikala breeding?  How is it possible for me to get a green egg from a Coast male and a Forest non-Baikala mate, but a Jungle male and a Coast non-Baikala mate give... a green egg as well?

How are these things supposed to work?!?!? ;A;

It's like copper breeding, I think. If father's a baikala, the baikala child is the color of the mother's habitat.

1 minute ago, Dirtytabs said:

It's like copper breeding, I think. If father's a baikala, the baikala child is the color of the mother's habitat.

But then the _second_ result should have been a blue egg, and it isn't?

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If that's any help - it looks half right but I am half asleep....

Then something's wrong because that is not the result I'm seeing for the green Baikalas.

3 minutes ago, Amazon_warrior said:

But then the _second_ result should have been a blue egg, and it isn't?

I was gonna say Fuzz has better info by copying the wiki, but huh. Why *is* the egg green? Maybe there's a tiny bit of randomness, like xenowyrms?

I have an initial release wrong-color baikala from coast, and funnily, M green (forest) baikala and F green (coast) baikala produce green.

Edited by Dirtytabs

Just now, Dirtytabs said:

I was gonna say Fuzz has better info by copying the wiki, but huh. Why *is* the egg green?

I have an initial release wrong-color baikala from coast, and funnily, M green (forest) baikala and F green (coast) baikala produce green.

Interestingly, I have exactly the same issue.  I have a glitchy green femme from the Coast and she has never not bred me a green egg: https://dragcave.net/progeny/mP93n

1 hour ago, Dirtytabs said:

1 hour ago, Amazon_warrior said:

Interestingly, I have exactly the same issue.  I have a glitchy green femme from the Coast and she has never not bred me a green egg: https://dragcave.net/progeny/mP93n

But... Aren't those working correctly?  CB Female Baikala x any male dragon = Egg color of the female Baikala. If you are breeding a CB Female Baikala, it will *always* give the same color of the female. In each quoted example the CB female Baikala is green, meaning she will only breed green. That's how it's supposed to be. (The fact they are 'supposed' to be blue because they are from the Coast is probably overridden in the system because, well, they *are* green.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

6 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

But... Aren't those working correctly?  CB Female Baikala x any male dragon = Egg color of the female Baikala. If you are breeding a CB Female Baikala, it will *always* give the same color of the female. In each quoted example the CB female Baikala is green, meaning she will only breed green. That's how it's supposed to be. (The fact they are 'supposed' to be blue because they are from the Coast is probably overridden in the system because, well, they *are* green.)

I genuinely don't know.  I'm trying to find out!

^^ I assumed it was original-habitat based, but matching the mother makes more sense. Still, the listing on the wiki isn't entirely right, so this might not be, either

I checked all my baikala baikala offspring, and I don't have much data but...

All of my CB right-color males produced their color when bred with a CB female from cave, alpine, desert, and volcano (11)

All of my CB right-color females produced their color when bred with a CB male from anywhere (5)

A CB right-color forest male produced a green egg when bred with a CB wrongly-green coast baikala, matching its mother 

A CB right-color coast male produced a green egg when bred with a CB non-baikala from forest https://dragcave.net/lineage/qf4Lf

It's now when I try breeding them all that they only produce the other breed's egg, aren't interested, or refuse. -__-

It also sounds quite inefficient to read both colour and biome. Clearly biome does matter because of the green egg from a Forest mate x Coast male.  And, barring glitches like my and DirtyTab's green Coast girlies who were never supposed to be a Thing, colour is biome-determined.  So why on earth would you need to check that twice?

This boi would have opinions about that...

Edited by Amazon_warrior

21 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/Zmo9u Well, it certainly doesn't do so for glitched blue baikala females.

17 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/Zmo9u Well, it certainly doesn't do so for glitched blue baikala females.

Huh. Well, I thought I understood what was actually going on, but guess not! If there is inconsistency in the way wrong-color-biome Baikalas breed, that's definitely an issue.

9 minutes ago, Amazon_warrior said:

......... and somehow I managed to forget to submit for evidence my own lineage! :lol:

Ooh, I just-now-remembered to check my blue jungle female baikala, whose children are all green https://dragcave.net/progeny/9KzzV, though I tried a (coast) bauta with her earlier but they produced no egg.

And it's not that once they produce one color, they stick with it: https://dragcave.net/progeny/SFqTk

1 minute ago, Dirtytabs said:

Ooh, I just-now-remembered to check my blue jungle female baikala, whose children are all green https://dragcave.net/progeny/9KzzV, though I tried a (coast) bauta with her earlier but they produced no egg.

And it's not that once they produce one color, they stick with it: https://dragcave.net/progeny/SFqTk

If you ever pair her with a blue Coast boi, I would be very interested in knowing what you get (and begging a sib if it's green!).

4 minutes ago, Amazon_warrior said:

If you ever pair her with a blue Coast boi, I would be very interested in knowing what you get (and begging a sib if it's green!).

Noted! :lol: 

Compiled a list of baikala results here:

What the actual rules seem to be:
- all glitch baikalas = green (blue m glitch baikalas still need to be tested to confirm or refute)
- all green baikalas = green
- any male baikala x forest or jungle biome = green
- cross color baiks = ??????? a mess

Edited by Shadowdrake

My baikala have something to do again next week.

I forgot I was the one who added the breeding info to the wiki, citing this "baikala biome glitch" topic. They supposedly produce variants the same way coppers do, but maybe I wrongly read the statement as they breed EXACTLY like coppers.

10 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

Noted! :lol: 

Eeee! :excited:

I think I even made a Help thread about my green Coast girl not long after release, but never did get any sort of answer...

What's more valuable? (if either even ARE valuable at all lol)

Breedable non-CB adult dragons with 4 digit code names?

Or Breedable CB dragons with 4 digit code names that are from location 'cave'?

Asking cuz I'm getting triggered over seeing my scroll so borked from being so old, yet if these sorts of dragons are valuable...maybe I should keep them? But if not, I wanna know so I won't feel as bad about releasing them. I'd trade them if you could trade adult dragons XD

I’m just curious since this is the first time I’ve seen it, but is it a glitch to see a hatchie at 7d 15h? Was stun used to add an extra day, perhaps? 🤔

Most likely. Stun can get a hatchling up to 8 days.