Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

3 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

What is the problem with your dragons?

Instead of the action taken by dragon I get this ->

You can only view this page from within the site. If you believe you have reached this page in error, see the help section.

If you are sure nothing is amiss, you can continue to the actions page regardless.

2 minutes ago, dtwrites said:

Instead of the action taken by dragon I get this ->

You can only view this page from within the site. If you believe you have reached this page in error, see the help section.

If you are sure nothing is amiss, you can continue to the actions page regardless.

Ok, I've seen that when I put a link to a dragon's action page in a spreadsheet for easier breeding. Did it happen when you clicked a link to the action page from somewhere other than the dragon's actual page?

7 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

Ok, I've seen that when I put a link to a dragon's action page in a spreadsheet for easier breeding. Did it happen when you clicked a link to the action page from somewhere other than the dragon's actual page?

No. I go to the "Filter by BSA" section and when the dragons pop up I choose a dragon by action wanted. Then I click on the message, click on the egg I'm trying to read (in this case), put in my password and get the above message. I don't think it matters how I get to the original dragon since the filter is part of the game.

PS The correct action is taken according to my Action Log.

Edited by dtwrites

5 minutes ago, dtwrites said:

No. I go to the "Filter by BSA" section and when the dragons pop up I choose a dragon by action wanted. Then I click on the message, click on the egg I'm trying to read (in this case), put in my password and get the above message. I don't think it matters how I get to the original dragon since the filter is part of the game.

PS The correct action is taken according to my Action Log.

Huh. That's odd. I've only seen that message when I used the link from a doc. I just precog'ed an egg to test and didn't get the message. Sorry, maybe someone else has an idea of what's causing it. =/

1 minute ago, Chaosdawn said:

Huh. That's odd. I've only seen that message when I used the link from a doc. I just precog'ed an egg to test and didn't get the message. Sorry, maybe someone else has an idea of what's causing it. =/

Thanks for trying.

2 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Has anyone ever noticed a phenomenon whereby refreshing the /dragons page increases the total views counter for some dragons, but not for others? I've noticed several times before that eggs of mine that were only in Valley Sherwood to my knowledge (and which I took out of there, after looking at all other sites I know of to see if they were there) were gaining views exactly with the pace that I refreshed the /dragons page, even if I slowed down or sped up my refreshes considerably - "Views" would always have gone up by exactly +1 when I reloaded (from the previous page load).

e.g. right now this was happening for my White/Undine hybrids, and they got sick from this (because I view my /dragons page quite frequently). Nothing to worry about, this is only because they're very young, but it was pretty striking.

(Other eggs are also in Valley Sherwood and not showing this behaviour.)

It's almost as though the /1.gif suffix of the egg image URL sometimes isn't actually preventing the view as it's meant to. I can't quite figure out what the common cause of this is - in this case the eggs were bred eggs, but it's not happening for bred hatchlings on my scroll, so that won't be it, and indeed it tends to just happen for a certain amount of time and then stop.

Anyone ever observed this?

If they've hit their total views allowed they won't increase. 1 unique view allows for 15 total views (2 = 30, and so on...). Could that be it, or have I misread the question?

I've entered the raffle for the May 31st drawing, but I definitely will not be awake at 3am my time (EST) to see if I won the drawing. How long do I have to claim the prize if I do win, before it's maybe redrawn? =( I'm worried I'll win and wake up to claim it many hours after that, and find out I wasn't fast enough and my prize was given to someone else.

42 minutes ago, Lagie said:

If they've hit their total views allowed they won't increase. 1 unique view allows for 15 total views (2 = 30, and so on...). Could that be it, or have I misread the question?

Misread the question, unfortunately, sorry for being unclear.

When I visit the /dragons page (the logged in version of my scroll, not the public scroll), usually the views of the eggs will not increase, regardless how often I open the page. I would need to go to the public scroll link. The reason is that the images embedded on /dragons have URLs like https://dragcave.net/image/i9UlX/1.gif instead of https://dragcave.net/image/i9UlX.gif - the extra /1 in the URL tells dragcave.net not to count a view for that dragon.

But I've noticed that sometimes, dragons seem to count up views from the /dragons page despite that - but it only happens for some of the dragons.

This is completely independent of the 15-views-per-1-unique-view cap. e.g. there is an egg on my scroll that currently has the stats 125 V, 54 UV, 2 C. I can refresh /dragons as much as I want and the 125 UV does not go up. But earlier, it was doing exactly that.

This behaviour has happened to me several times before, but I've been dismissing it as "it has to be in a hatchery somewhere that you just don't know about", despite the suspiciously precise correlation with my /dragons page reloads. This is the first time I'm absolutely certain my own refreshes were doing it, because I deliberately varied the speed at which I reloaded quite strongly (both slowing it down and speeding it up), and the increase kept pace with my reload count exactly.

So my guess is that in some cases, the /1 addition in the URL is not actually preventing the view from counting. I don't know what "in some cases" is. Maybe it's "whenever the egg has only 1 click". Maybe it's "any bred egg in the first five hours of its life". Maybe it only happens to certain species (the last time I know it definitely happened was with a forest zyumorph - I was really confused about that one).

I don't have enough data yet to guess at what is causing it, but at this point I'm no longer willing to assume it's just in my head.

Edit: Just to be clear, I've only very rarely observed this. This is in part going to be because it takes certain events and circumstances for me to be refreshing that page a lot, but I assume it's also rare in general. In this case it was just two eggs out of 21 growing things doing it.

7 minutes ago, UltimateTH said:

I've entered the raffle for the May 31st drawing, but I definitely will not be awake at 3am my time (EST) to see if I won the drawing. How long do I have to claim the prize if I do win, before it's maybe redrawn? =( I'm worried I'll win and wake up to claim it many hours after that, and find out I wasn't fast enough and my prize was given to someone else.

You have a month to claim your prize, if I recall correctly. Definitely don't worry about a few hours!

Edited by pinkgothic

@pinkgothic - I had that happen from time to time but never bothered to investigate what the regularities behind it were, so I can't help with the data  besides - you're not the only one.

1 minute ago, Herk said:

@pinkgothic - I had that happen from time to time but never bothered to investigate what the regularities behind it were, so I can't help with the data  besides - you're not the only one.

Thanks very much for the heads-up! Gotta admit a part of me was wondering if I was going completely insane (though a friend told me he had also observed this happening and had just assumed "that's how Dragon Cave works", he's pretty new to the site - but also because he's new to the site I wasn't sure how to weight the observation).

I'll make a bug thread about it, then. It's no biggie - now that I know what it is I can stop it from making young eggs sick, after all - but would still be good to fix.

Thanks for your help. :)

9 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

Misread the question, unfortunately, sorry for being unclear.

When I visit the /dragons page (the logged in version of my scroll, not the public scroll), usually the views of the eggs will not increase, regardless how often I open the page. I would need to go to the public scroll link. The reason is that the images embedded on /dragons have URLs like https://dragcave.net/image/i9UlX/1.gif instead of https://dragcave.net/image/i9UlX.gif - the extra /1 in the URL tells dragcave.net not to count a view for that dragon.

But I've noticed that sometimes, dragons seem to count up views from the /dragons page despite that - but it only happens for some of the dragons.

This is completely independent of the 15-views-per-1-unique-view cap. e.g. there is an egg on my scroll that currently has the stats 125 V, 54 UV, 2 C. I can refresh /dragons as much as I want and the 125 UV does not go up. But earlier, it was doing exactly that.

This behaviour has happened to me several times before, but I've been dismissing it as "it has to be in a hatchery somewhere that you just don't know about", despite the suspiciously precise correlation with my /dragons page reloads. This is the first time I'm absolutely certain my own refreshes were doing it, because I deliberately varied the speed at which I reloaded quite strongly (both slowing it down and speeding it up), and the increase kept pace with my reload count exactly.

So my guess is that in some cases, the /1 addition in the URL is not actually preventing the view from counting. I don't know what "in some cases" is. Maybe it's "whenever the egg has only 1 click". Maybe it's "any bred egg in the first five hours of its life". Maybe it only happens to certain species (the last time I know it definitely happened was with a forest zyumorph - I was really confused about that one).

I don't have enough data yet to guess at what is causing it, but at this point I'm no longer willing to assume it's just in my head.

Edit: Just to be clear, I've only very rarely observed this. This is in part going to be because it takes certain events and circumstances for me to be refreshing that page a lot, but I assume it's also rare in general. In this case it was just two eggs out of 21 growing things doing it.

You have a month to claim your prize, if I recall correctly. Definitely don't worry about a few hours!

Ah. Now I think I get it.

Not that I have an answer, but...

When I grab a cave egg on my phone, click the egg, then go to my scroll, it gains one click, one view, one unique view. When I grab a cave egg on my laptop or work computer, click the egg, then go to my scroll, it gains no clicks, no views, no unique views. Maybe your question is related to that phenomenom?

3 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Ah. Now I think I get it.

Not that I have an answer, but...

When I grab a cave egg on my phone, click the egg, then go to my scroll, it gains one click, one view, one unique view. When I grab a cave egg on my laptop or work computer, click the egg, then go to my scroll, it gains no clicks, no views, no unique views. Maybe your question is related to that phenomenom?

Possibly, but I doubt it, since this phenomenon is entirely independent of any other pages. I open the /dragons page directly, and reload only that page. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

5 hours ago, UltimateTH said:

A prize remains to be claimed until the next drawing. So you have a full month to do so.

I hope this is the right place to post this question, but how are the official names for color variants determined? I'm asking specifically in regards to Xol dragons (are they purple and brown? blue and red? some other combination/color?) and the new Alcedine Wyverns. For instance, Gemshards are technically ruby, jade, and azure. Coppers are rainbow, verdigris, and liver of sulfur. Where can I find these official colors/info? Thanks! :D 

1 hour ago, smartster4 said:

I hope this is the right place to post this question, but how are the official names for color variants determined? I'm asking specifically in regards to Xol dragons (are they purple and brown? blue and red? some other combination/color?) and the new Alcedine Wyverns. For instance, Gemshards are technically ruby, jade, and azure. Coppers are rainbow, verdigris, and liver of sulfur. Where can I find these official colors/info? Thanks! :D 

I don't think there really are official names for the variants of Xols, but as the person who created them, I call their variants blue and red. :3 However, there is nothing wrong with using different terms like purple and brown to describe them, I think those also get the meaning across just fine.

Edited by Mewtie

Has anyone else been experiencing extreme lag when custom sorting and trying to save? I often get error messages and it didn't save.

3 hours ago, Mewtie said:

I don't think there really are official names for the variants of Xols, but as the person who created them, I call their variants blue and red. :3 However, there is nothing wrong with using different terms like purple and brown to describe them, I think those also get the meaning across just fine.

Thanks for the reply!  :) I guess I tend to overthink things a bit haha

41 minutes ago, Lady_of_The_Forest said:

Does Dragon Cave have an app for iPhone?

There isn't an app, you can access a mobile version of the site through your iPhone browser. I don't know what that is, I've never had an iPhone. XD

Wow, the cave is really lagging for me since yesterday evening.

Too many people online and trying to catch the new ones?

Already cleared my cache, deleted cookies, rebooted my system.

But still heavy lags on mobile and desktop.

EDIT: Okay, now all I get is the tombstone with "an error has occured" page everywhere.

Edited by Seriva Senkalora

I don't think it's your cache. I just clicked an egg in the Coast and the page took nearly 2 minutes to load, so when it finally did, the egg was of course already taken by someone else.

The cave's been doing that yesterday as well. Probably just too much traffic but it's an unusual time of day for that ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Are there currently any connection problems? I am getting one 504 Gateway Time-Out after another, not being able to name dragons. Anyone else have this?

Yes, the site is currently alternating between being very slow and not working at all.