Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

If you look through the Cave Blockages - AP thread, we gave multiple warnings to keep the thread on-topic. These warnings were ignored multiple times, so we finally decided to close it. Rarely do we have to close threads for derailing, but that was a perfect example of it. That topic is not forbidden, not at all, we just ask that the original topic be discussed. Unfortunately, the other examples you mentioned are also really contentious topics, and those are the ones that tend to derail the most. 

Perhaps I'm phrasing my question badly. The users who were rude and off-topic were first warned, then had their messages deleted (and probably received a forum penalty.) Isn't that what's supposed to happen? Why was the thread also blocked and the topic closed off, when the warning-deletion system seemed to be working correctly? The mod note in that case specifically said the offending messages had been deleted, so presumably all the other suggestions and comments were acceptable. With the offending poster(s) successfully warned and disciplined, it's still the policy to end the discussion anyway?

Again, this is intended as clarification, not an attack. But it's sounding like this is the mod intent: if a few people act rude about a topic, then not only are they warned and deleted, the thread is killed. And topics that are well-known to make some people become rude, like sprite updates et al, are de facto no-go zones for the same reason. Correct?

Edited by tjekan

1 minute ago, tjekan said:

Again, this is intended as clarification, not an attack.

I know you're not attacking, you just want an explanation.

1 minute ago, tjekan said:

And topics that are known to make some people become rude, like sprite updates et al, are de facto no-go zones for the same reason.

No, the sprite update topics are not allowed for a different reason, if I recall correctly. I believe it's because the sprites represent finished work and are not open to critique, like Holiday sprites (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Other topics that have been hot-button topics are allowed to be re-discussed, but know the result tends to be the same thing, where the topic turns nasty and there's no amount of mod intervention to keep smooth sailing. To reiterate: these topics can be revisited, including the Cave Blockages topic, but if the threads keep derailing, we'll rinse and repeat the thread-warn-to-closed-thread cycle.

4 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Why was the thread also blocked and the topic closed off, when the warning-deletion system seemed to be working correctly?

By blocked, I assume you meant closed? It's not blocked. And the warning-deletion system was not working (with the Cave Blockages thread in question), as we were regularly updating the thread with verbal warns and deletions. When the system ceases to work, the topic is closed. That is the rule: discuss topics. When things get chippy, mods will do a general thread warn. If repeated thread warns aren't heeded, the topic is locked. That's exactly what happens. 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:02 PM, tjekan said:

(and probably received a forum penalty.)

Just for completion's sake (mentioning it mostly in case some people reading this exchange might be worried about this always being correlated) - that doesn't always happen. :) For example, some of my stuff was lost to the aether without that I got any warnings for it.

(I put a lot of work into the posts, so I'm actually a little sad they're gone, but that's the way the cookie crumbles and it's better this way, probably! ❤️ Do not-so-secretly wish we could still access posts we wrote that were deleted in some way, mind, though I recognise that would be a poor idea in a lot of cases. XD)

Edit: Thank you, purplehaze, for PMing me the posts! ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic

Regarding the cave blockages thread - it kept repeatedly devolving into an argument over mass breeding.  No one was actually making suggestions at that point.  The thread was warned several times not to do that, and repeatedly directed to Site Discussion for such a topic.  Suggestions was not the place for that.

Also, I removed the posts that pertained to said argument.  They served no purpose to the topic except to start the fight up all over again.  They were not necessarily warn worthy on an individual level.

17 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

For lesser offenses, sure. You would have to be specific about what offenses would be "lesser", however, that aren't already covered by the ToS. If that thread is used to re-discuss this same issue, however, which the previous two did devolve into, then that thread will be closed, again. 

I'd say lesser was anything that wasn't leading directly to a scroll-burn ? So you can mend your ways before that happens. In this case - that wasn't possible as far as I can see, but...

For instance - you get a few names pulled. You think nothing of it, "such is life", stuff - but at the next dodgy name your scroll goes phut.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

For instance - you get a few names pulled. You think nothing of it, "such is life", stuff - but at the next dodgy name your scroll goes phut.

I don't... understand what you're trying to argue for in that example. As far as I know, dodgy names currently get the dragon killed and, in the case of too many offenses, all names and naming privileges revoked. No scroll burns. The dragon being killed is a very visible warning in and of itself, and I know at least 2 people who have had their naming ability removed but their scroll stays intact. Granted, I think one escalated immediately to losing name ability bc they had multiple names that they assumed were fine and hit their metaphorical 3 strikes all at once when a mod noticed, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Multiple repeat rude name offenders can be burned, I assure you. But what I mean is to have warnings for smaller offences, not instant burning offences.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

The dragon being killed is a very visible warning in and of itself

Only if the dead dragon suddenly pops up at the top of your scroll. On multipage scrolls, they probably get missed.

What is a chicken listed as in the trade hub drop down list?

I checked under chicken and hen … neither are there and out of ideas on what it would be under 

3 minutes ago, Merenwen said:

What is a chicken listed as in the trade hub drop down list?

I checked under chicken and hen … neither are there and out of ideas on what it would be under 

Gallus gallus domesticus - and it is RIGHT at the bottom with the dinos.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Gallus gallus domesticus - and it is RIGHT at the bottom with the dinos.

thank you!

opps may have said thank you too soon....

It is missing in my drop down?

*FIGURD IT OUT*

It was the last thing I needed to 'unlock' in the market area which is why I wanted to search for trades with it so I could offer up a blue dino I got for my red dino (only needed the blue to unlock it in market). Apparently since it was no unlocked yet in the market, it did not show up in the list for me to search. I put up the blue and got a chicken egg and now it shows in my drop box. And I now have everything unlocked in market *YAY!*

Untitled.png

Edited by Merenwen

11 minutes ago, Merenwen said:

It is missing in my drop down?

You may need to unlock the egg sprite in your Encyclopedia first. That unlocks it in the Market and the Hub for you.

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

You may need to unlock the egg sprite in your Encyclopedia first. That unlocks it in the Market and the Hub for you.

I was editing my post above to say just that LOL

Even though I have tons of them as adults, I never unlocked the egg. Had everything else in encyclopedia but the egg

(which is why I wanted the chicken ...now I have an egg I kinda don't want so off to trade it for something else LOL)

Edited by Merenwen

3 hours ago, Merenwen said:

I was editing my post above to say just that LOL

Even though I have tons of them as adults, I never unlocked the egg. Had everything else in encyclopedia but the egg

(which is why I wanted the chicken ...now I have an egg I kinda don't want so off to trade it for something else LOL)

AT least you know for sure in your case the chicken came before the egg! XD

Do some hatchery viewing to locate the rest you need, I guess.

35 minutes ago, Lagie said:

AT least you know for sure in your case the chicken came before the egg! XD

Do some hatchery viewing to locate the rest you need, I guess.

it did indeed! But need nothing else from the market unlocked. Everything is listed as buy now. Not that I will just wanted them unlocked xD

Is there a thread where I can request/offer eggs to be Bitten by Vampires? This one was closed because Vamps can be traded in "existing threads" and this one was closed due to the possibility of people bugging others for AP'd eggs. (I'd say just remove that part and re-open.)

But yeah, Vampires hate me and the feeling is mutual, already have two dead eggs. This is why I rarely use them.

Edit: Thanks for all the offers and help, I think I'm good for now.

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

5 hours ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

Is there a thread where I can request/offer eggs to be Bitten by Vampires? This one was closed because Vamps can be traded in "existing threads" and this one was closed due to the possibility of people bugging others for AP'd eggs. (I'd say just remove that part and re-open.)

But yeah, Vampires hate me and the feeling is mutual, already have two dead eggs. This is why I rarely use them.

You know, I'd like a thread like that, too. I bit an egg yesterday trying to boot a misclicked egg and it vampire'd. I very quickly found someone needing a vampire, but they can't really just ask for one anywhere. I get a ton of vampires (I try to boot spaz-clicked eggs and they nearly ALWAYS turn) and I'd love to do more than abandon them. I know a lot of folks who'd love a free 'CB' vampire. When posting trades, I don't usually find anyone straight up interested in trading for vamps, but I'd like to be able to offer them in a vamp-related thread. Especially with Halloween coming up. Lots of vampire fans!

You have the exact opposite of my Vampire luck, lol.

2 hours ago, Suzumiya said:

I know a lot of folks who'd love a free 'CB' vampire. When posting trades, I don't usually find anyone straight up interested in trading for vamps, but I'd like to be able to offer them in a vamp-related thread. Especially with Halloween coming up. Lots of vampire fans!

It gets my vote.

To those of you who have or collect 2Gs from Spriter's alts, (or maybe even a spriter if they happen to see this :lol:) I'm wondering what you usually have to trade to get them? I know sometimes they're raffled off, but to actually trade for one, how do you get the opportunity and what kind of stuff do the spriters usually ask for? Is it at all heard of to have spriter's alt trades involving some large number of CB hatchlings, like CB prize owners do sometimes? 

Thanks for the help! :D

1 hour ago, Aqub said:

To those of you who have or collect 2Gs from Spriter's alts, (or maybe even a spriter if they happen to see this :lol:) I'm wondering what you usually have to trade to get them? I know sometimes they're raffled off, but to actually trade for one, how do you get the opportunity and what kind of stuff do the spriters usually ask for? Is it at all heard of to have spriter's alt trades involving some large number of CB hatchlings, like CB prize owners do sometimes? 

Thanks for the help! :D

I have a 2GSA and I was actually Lucky, the Spriter came to me first and wanted a 2G Prize Egg and 2G Prizekin ^_^ Just be nice! ask if they need anything and if they have some time to try to breed one for you!. I am trying to get another one from a different Spriter, but they are specifically looking for 4-5 Letter word codes (with proper letters, not 0's for O's or capital L's for I's) and I have NO luck with word codes.