Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Anyone else having trouble signing in anonymously? It doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I'm definitely checking the box. It's been like this for days for me now.

2 hours ago, Mochi said:

Anyone else having trouble signing in anonymously? It doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I'm definitely checking the box. It's been like this for days for me now.

What's not working?

The asterisk next to your username in the online list is a custom addition that TJ has to re-add with every forum update.

The always-up-to-date "last visited" timestamp is a totally COUNTERPRODUCTIVE "bugfix" by the invision people. Total poop - if someone stalks YOU, the anonymous login no longer helps.

To check if you are signed in anonymously, open the forum's main page in a "private browser window" - that lets you view it as if you were an outsider and check if your name shows up at the bottom.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

2 hours ago, TheNobleOne said:

Anyone else having issues viewing threads on the forums?

I keep getting a warning from Chrome that the site is unsecure. Only happens when I view threads, not the main forum page.

Is it some new setting they've added in the latest update? I'm on my laptop (it's new, just got it in July).

Yes, I've cleared my cache and all that usual stuff. But it keeps happening and I'm not that tech savvy.

I did get that warning also ... but could not access anything as the warning just stayed there    ....

so I did a SYSTEM RESTORE .... then reinstalled Chrome

no problems ... knock on wood  .. since then

hope this helps 

5 hours ago, TheNobleOne said:

Anyone else having issues viewing threads on the forums?

I keep getting a warning from Chrome that the site is unsecure. Only happens when I view threads, not the main forum page.

Is it some new setting they've added in the latest update? I'm on my laptop (it's new, just got it in July).

Yes, I've cleared my cache and all that usual stuff. But it keeps happening and I'm not that tech savvy.

Have you checked to make sure your laptop's date is correct? If the date is wrong on your computer it can't verify the site. No idea otherwise.

Does anyone know what's up with the Desert biome recently? It seems to run out of eggs, like, all the time. It's the only biome that does.

1 minute ago, tjekan said:

Does anyone know what's up with the Desert biome recently? It seems to run out of eggs, like, all the time. It's the only biome that does.

Possibly because the raffle requirement for this month is to raise three desert dragons? Still seems a bit odd, but might be at least part of it.

There was a massbred wall of eggs no one wanted at the same time as a new release, so it sat there a long time while people picked up more new eggs from the cave instead. Now it's cleared, but the eggs behind it are too low time to influence, reducing their desirability too.

It's a pain, but too many people apparently prefer it this way for it to change.

15 minutes ago, tjekan said:

There was a massbred wall of eggs no one wanted at the same time as a new release, so it sat there a long time while people picked up more new eggs from the cave instead. Now it's cleared, but the eggs behind it are too low time to influence, reducing their desirability too.

It's a pain, but too many people apparently prefer it this way for it to change.

Ah I see, I had a feeling it was related to new release but never saw it this low before.

Thanks for taking time to answer!

Okay, so earlier today, there was a thread in S&R suggesting less intense punishments. I got two notifications from that thread, so I know it's not something I made up. (@lethanavir and @JavaTigress, whose notification I got, can corroborate.) Now, this thread has been put where it cannot be viewed by general users. Why is that? Wouldn't have closing the thread with a short and neat statement been enough? Or is there some kind of obscure rule to not discuss the meting out of punishments on-site? I'm honestly confused.

The thread was closed with a short and neat statement, provided by myself.  After some time passed, it was deleted as it was primarily based on completely inaccurate information and would only cause problems.

Ah. You know, it's quite unusual for a thread to disappear within mere hours of being closed, so ... :huh: I must admit that this kind of situation does not exactly raise my confidence in the modding team.

The thread didn't exactly raise MINE in our members..... We do not know what happened. The thread was relying on gossip and statements by one of the players affected. We are therefore not in a position to make demands/suggestions around it all. Things are often far from what they seem and from what others would have us believe.

As I said in that thread - I am well aware of a past case here where two related players garnered a shedload of sympathy posts etc when they were in fact the offenders and another player was shafted. TJ took action then too - and we didn't get to be told about his reasoning; only those who had been following it all from the start were able to observe the whys of it. That wasn't the case this time, but as I say - we do not know. And there's little point to a thread based on gossip and unsubstantiated rumour. Just because a version was posted on discord and elsewhere does not make it the truth. Maybe someone was caught in some crossfire or maybe not.

Let it go. Reading up on why scrolls were burned is not going to happen, nor should it. Start a new thread asking for a warning system, without mention of specific cases, if it's important to you. That would make sense.

I posted a public trade of an egg asking for a dummy. Someone offered a hatchie but I have the accept option greyed out. Any ideas why? I have plenty of space in my scroll... maybe the offerer doesn't? First time I've seen this.

23 minutes ago, Naughtrish said:

I posted a public trade of an egg asking for a dummy. Someone offered a hatchie but I have the accept option greyed out. Any ideas why? I have plenty of space in my scroll... maybe the offerer doesn't? First time I've seen this.

They're probably egglocked, yes.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, purplehaze said:

Possibly because the raffle requirement for this month is to raise three desert dragons? Still seems a bit odd, but might be at least part of it. 

This could be, but... at the 9:25 drop, there were 6 people in the desert. By 9:26, the biome was empty. Six people taking 3 eggs apiece does not usually empty a biome. Something weird is going on here.

I have questions about (1) the Trading Hub rules and (2) what are the consequences for breaking the rules, and (3) if there is only a permanent ban option if one breaks the Trading Hub rules or if there are other options?

Background:

I am concerned, after finding old threads from when the Trading Hub was first implemented--and some more current posts--about people being banned from trading without warning. (I am not saying some of these aren't justified, as I don't know the circumstances.) 

I am bringing this up because I have had questions about this since I returned to DC last year and noticed that so many people that I used to recognize on the forum are no longer active. Maybe they are taking an extended break like I did, but from those older threads, there did seem to be a number of "regulars" that were caught up in Trading Hub issues when the Hub was new.  

Some of my questions are:

1. Are there any more rules other than the general rule which reads, "Use of trading messages for any purpose except those stated above may result in disciplinary action, such as loss of ability to create public trades. Off-site links are forbidden."?  I worry that there are more rules that are being applied, that I am not finding or misunderstanding.  

2. Is it okay to say PM me and give one's forum name? (Obviously on the DC forums, which are connected to the Trading Hub). The rules don't seem to say; I assume this is okay? Does anyone know?

3. Is it okay to say Please see my post on in the Trading Forum for more ideas, or something to that effect? Sometimes everything one wants cannot be fit into the Trading Hub text field; is it okay to direct people to the forum and to say you have a thread on the forum? Again, I would think this is okay, but does anyone know?

4. Is banning always permanent? I don't mean people who have more than one scroll (obviously they will get burned, banned, etc.) but it seems from when the Trading Hub was new, a number of people were permabanned, when the rules were not clear.  Again, I don't know what happened, as I was not here. But in reading a number of threads, the common theme is: users are upset, users want to understand more about the Trading Hub rules, thread gets locked. I cannot find an open thread to discuss this; is there one? If so, could someone please direct me to it? Thanks. 

5. Where I can go to discuss and give more detailed feedback on the Trading Hub? For example, I would like to see more clear rules, and I would hope there would be different types of action taken besides permanently banning someone, unless they were multiscrolling or something equally bad.  I am not bringing this up to discuss any specific player; but instead to discuss how these rules affect the larger player base. I bring this up because for any Dragon Cave player, the thought of a permanent ban would be unnerving and disheartening, especially when I believe most people try very hard not to break any rules.  Most players are using the Trading Hub almost exclusively for trading, so naturally, one wants to make sure one is not breaking any rules. And getting permabanned would be so disheartening. So completely understanding the rules and how they are implemented is vital.

If there is not a current open thread, I would like to suggest we have a simple thread called "Trading Hub feedback" or "Trading Hub discussion" where we can discuss how we can make the Trading Hub better. 

I have the greatest respect for the mods and for TJ, and I know how busy he must be. I just want to know how/where to discuss this and the questions I mentioned above. 

Thank you. :)

8 minutes ago, missy_ said:

1. Are there any more rules other than the general rule which reads, "Use of trading messages for any purpose except those stated above may result in disciplinary action, such as loss of ability to create public trades. Off-site links are forbidden."?  I worry that there are more rules that are being applied, that I am not finding or misunderstanding.

You may need to take it more literally than you possibly might intuitively take it, but the only thing that I can think of offhand that the rule doesn't cover is "don't use full or even partial links (except to refer to dragon codes or groups or other stuff directly on-site)".

2. Is it okay to say PM me and give one's forum name? (Obviously on the DC forums, which are connected to the Trading Hub). The rules don't seem to say; I assume this is okay? Does anyone know?

My last understanding was that this is not allowed (it's neither "a type of offer you're looking for" nor "what you're offering" - that it helps people to offer the right thing in ways orthogonal to a description of what you're looking regrettably isn't relevant). You can, however, name a dragon to point to your forum name, and put it prominently near the top of your scroll.

3. Is it okay to say Please see my post on in the Trading Forum for more ideas, or something to that effect? Sometimes everything one wants cannot be fit into the Trading Hub text field; is it okay to direct people to the forum and to say you have a thread on the forum? Again, I would think this is okay, but does anyone know?

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but would err on the side of no. I may be wrong about this. I know it's allowed to reference on-site groups (e.g. to say "mates for any of the dragons in this group"), but suspect the forum is not an OK thing to reference in general.

4. Is banning always permanent? I don't mean people who have more than one scroll (obviously they will get burned, banned, etc.) but it seems from when the Trading Hub was new, a number of people were permabanned, when the rules were not clear.  Again, I don't know what happened, as I was not here. But in reading a number of threads, the common theme is: users are upset, users want to understand more about the Trading Hub rules, thread gets locked. I cannot find an open thread to discuss this; is there one? If so, could someone please direct me to it? Thanks. 

As far as I know, temporary bans exist. If you're banned, there's supposedly a place that tells you how long you're banned for. (Thankfully haven't seen it. :P)

5. Where I can go to discuss and give more detailed feedback on the Trading Hub?

Generally, the Suggestions forum is where to put your thoughts. :) The general thread for Trading Hub feedback was closed, but people are encouraged to post their ideas individually.

(Be sure to wait for someone else to also answer your questions, as I may have gotten the one or other thing wrong - you'll definitely want a sample size > 1 here!)

Thank you, @pinkgothic ^_^ I appreciate you taking the time. 

I realize you said wait for others to respond for more clarification and to get a sample size >1 but ... while I am waiting ... :P (Forgive me, lol)

Regarding my question #2, (and realizing you didn't say for sure it isn't), I am surprised (and confused) and hope it is okay to simply put the eggs and list one's forum user name, especially if it is different than one's scroll.  I have seen it many times and always assumed it was okay.  It isn't something I see that often, but just like with listing a dragon's code, or a group name, it seems like a similar thing, since it relates directly to DC.  Also honestly a bit alarmed, since the rules don't prohibit this, and the rules also list nothing about dragon groups or dragon codes, but since they are all on site, and again not directed at a single person, it would seem okay. I hope to hear others' thoughts on this. :)

Same as above with regard to #3.

I will wait and hopefully others will have some answers as well and I can get a sample size >1 (love that, lol). Thank you! :nyan:

@missy_ From what I understand (from a post of TJ's I can't find at the moment), putting *just* a 'PM me' message is not okay, but *adding* it to a short 'want' list is okay. It's not okay to *only* put that because then the message is indeed going against the rules, which are to describe what you want. Listing a couple breeds you want and then saying something like 'PM (name) on forum for more ideas' or something is fine, I believe. 

In general, what we've learned from the initial trading-hub-ban mess is err on the side of caution and take a moment to think about how your message may or may not go against these rules:

Describe what you’re offering and/or help others understand what types of offers you are looking for. If creating a public trade, your message should be applicable to many people using the trading hub, not just a specific person.

45 minutes ago, missy_ said:

20 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

My last understanding was that this is not allowed (it's neither "a type of offer you're looking for" nor "what you're offering" - that it helps people to offer the right thing in ways orthogonal to a description of what you're looking regrettably isn't relevant). You can, however, name a dragon to point to your forum name, and put it prominently near the top of your scroll.

Forgot to add in my original question: I didn't mean a Trading Hub post that simply and only stated "PM blah on the forum" but instead gave what was wanted; but if, for example, all of the potentially wanted items didn't fit in the text box, or maybe to PM proof of influence or precog, or something similar to its use in a Trading forum thread.  It isn't always needed, and most often isn't, but if it is needed, it's there. The main difference in the Trading forum being that we have our PM links handily displayed, so it's most often used to say "PMs welcome" or something to that effect on the forum :) With the Trading Hub, it seems handy to know how one can reach the person who is offering, especially if their forum name differs from their scroll.  On the Trading forum, for example, if one has a question regarding someone's offer of an ungendered hatchling and the trader has not specified whether it is precogged or influenced, it is handy to be able to reach out. Hopefully in the Trading Hub, the same kind of thing would apply; it seems like common sense. 

Sorry, I rattled on again. :lol: I will wait to hear what the sample size of >1 has to say.  :nyan:

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

@missy_ From what I understand (from a post of TJ's I can't find at the moment), putting *just* a 'PM me' message is not okay, but *adding* it to a short 'want' list is okay. It's not okay to *only* put that because then the message is indeed going against the rules, which are to describe what you want. Listing a couple breeds you want and then saying something like 'PM (name) on forum for more ideas' or something is fine, I believe. 

In general, what we've learned from the initial trading-hub-ban mess is err on the side of caution and take a moment to think about how your message may or may not go against these rules:

Describe what you’re offering and/or help others understand what types of offers you are looking for. If creating a public trade, your message should be applicable to many people using the trading hub, not just a specific person.

Thank you, @HeatherMarie^_^ Apologies; I was crafting a post at the same time as you, apparently, and thought for a moment I had posted it twice. Anyway, ninja'd! :ph34r:

Yes, I did mean that very thing: Not a post with nothing asked for, that simply stated "PM blah" but instead, as you stated, a post that states what one wants from the trade and then adds a PM as one does a dragon group, etc. to facilitate trading. 

As an aside, the rules are only discoverable after a player clicks two links (and while one is busy in the midst of creating the trade); one must first click "Create new teleport" and then "Public trade". 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:02 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

What's not working?

The asterisk next to your username in the online list is a custom addition that TJ has to re-add with every forum update.

The always-up-to-date "last visited" timestamp is a totally COUNTERPRODUCTIVE "bugfix" by the invision people. Total poop - if someone stalks YOU, the anonymous login no longer helps.

To check if you are signed in anonymously, open the forum's main page in a "private browser window" - that lets you view it as if you were an outsider and check if your name shows up at the bottom.

Ooh I totally forgot about the asterisk thing. I thought it mostly applied to the 'last visited' timestamp, honestly the only reason I every signed in anon =/