Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

11 minutes ago, olympe said:

@missy_, @Mewtie

No, you don't have to wait for the new month to start collecting. I've already completed the assignment, and June's (I think) was done within hours of the new raffle entries being possible - which was still the last day of the month before. What has to happen, though, is that you need to raise the correct kind of dragon. This month, it's dragons from the coast - that means CB dragons from the coast biome. All you have to do to succeed is raise them from hatchi-hood to adulthood.

Yup, I remember a few months ago I checked DC on my phone in the middle of the night (while I should've been sleeping...), I hadn't even realized the raffle winners for that month had been drawn, just a few hours before, and was confused as heck to see that notice that I'd already qualified for the new raffle (due to hatchlings becoming adults in the middle of the night). As soon as the old raffle is over the new requirements are up and ready to be conquered!

15 hours ago, Mewtie said:

Do you indeed have to, though?

@Mewtie, hmmm I guess not! I was confused by cbussiere's post; somehow I must have misinterpreted?

11 hours ago, olympe said:

@missy_, @Mewtie

No, you don't have to wait for the new month to start collecting. I've already completed the assignment, and June's (I think) was done within hours of the new raffle entries being possible - which was still the last day of the month before. What has to happen, though, is that you need to raise the correct kind of dragon. This month, it's dragons from the coast - that means CB dragons from the coast biome. All you have to do to succeed is raise them from hatchi-hood to adulthood.

Thanks, @olympe! I hadn't started it yet; I do know about raising the type of dragons for the raffle requirements and I understand that when it says Coast, it means "from the Coast biome." I was confused by cbussiere's earlier post which made me wonder if dragons raised on July 31 will count.  From what you all have posted here (and thanks, HeatherMarie as well), I gather that they will count.  Thanks, all. :)

Edited by missy_

Guys -- how do I use the spoiler tag? I tried what I thought would do it -- 

[spoiler]Insert spoiler text, images here[/spoiler] 

and it didn't work. I was expecting to see the dropdown arrow with hidden image, text, etc. But when I preview it, it looks like it does in the above code.  Thanks!

ETA: Trying this again. No code this time:

This is where I want my spoiler to be hidden. THIS IS A SPOILER

Hmmm, I answered my own question. Apparently the spoiler isn't created until the post is actually posted. It doesn't show up in the preview. 

Edited by missy_

With all the Thuweds I’m seeing in the trades, does a verified ND Thuwed exist? What about a 2g ND from Thuwed parents? I’m just curious as it had me thinking.

1 hour ago, Solaries said:

With all the Thuweds I’m seeing in the trades, does a verified ND Thuwed exist? What about a 2g ND from Thuwed parents? I’m just curious as it had me thinking.

I don't know about a verified ND Thuwed, but I did find a 2G ND from Thuwed parents.

In the forum Dragon Requests, is anybody whatsoever allowed to make a sprite or is there a special team that completes sketches? I’m still a bit confused after reading through everything, though I assume anybody can make a sprite?

If you have a dragon suggestion (not just a sprite) you can submit it to the mods, who will decide whether it's OK to be put up there. If you are just wanting to draw sprites, you need to look through the requests that are asking for spriters and ask if you can offer one.

You can't just make a sprite and post it without a description of the breed and everything - and any dragon request has to go trough the mods. Anyone can submit a dragon request - but it has to have the words done first - or at least at the same time as - the sprite.

This is what you need to do - it's quite specific and long, so I put it in a spoiler. Note all the places where it says "required!.

Spoiler

REQUIRED AND OPTIONAL INFORMATION WHEN SUBMITTING

To give your topic the best chances for approval, follow the guidelines below. Please use the standard format.

• STEP ONE (required): Include either artwork or a description of your dragon's physical appearance. This information should be included in the standard format where the finished sprites will eventually be placed.
    • Working artwork meant to be the final art set
      • Art submitted must include working art for all final adult sprites. Hatchlings and egg/s are optional to include.
      • You may submit a sketch that is ready to have a sprite made from it or submit a working sprite that you or a collaborator plan on using for the final product.
      • Art submitted must have a strong grasp of anatomy (body and limb positions and sizes make sense, ie no simple mistakes such as "hangbutt").
      • Sketches submitted must be neat enough that a sprite can be made from it (ie the anatomy is cleaned up and the sketch is not simply a draft).
      • Sprites made must show a basic understanding of how to sprite (ie has fairly smooth lines, no lines thicker than one pixel).
    • OR
    • An in depth physical description or sketch
      • Your physical description must include more than just the color of the dragon. Also think about size, shape, build, wing type and number of wings, head shape, special features (spikes, frills, fur, armor), end of the tail, etc. No sketcher or spriter likes to be bound by extremely strict restrictions, but some idea of what you’re looking for always helps inspiration.
      • Another dragon's description is not a physical description. Saying your dragon has "wings like the embers" and "feet like reds" is not a description. It is a comparison and a copy. Rather, take a look at those wings that remind you of your idea and figure out why, then lay it out with words or do a quick sketch or doodle yourself.
      •  Pictures as references are good and can be helpful, whether you've drawn these yourself, or grabbed it off the internet (with credits to the original artist or site). However, they are also not a stand in for a description. They can help get your point across, but you must also either sketch it yourself or describe it in your own words.
      • Just because you add a sketch or sprite into the first post doesn’t mean it has to be the one you stick with. Don’t be afraid to ask for other sketches. It’s fine to want to do it all on your own, but be prepared for serious critiquing. Nothing is ever perfect and certainly not the first time around.
  • STEP TWO (required): Concept work
    • Breed description and other information: flesh out your concept. 
      • Includes, but is not limited to, personality, quirks, habits, habitat(s), diet, mating behaviour, why it's named whatever you called it, etc. 
      • A formal breed description is not required at this stage, but if you have on written already, feel free to include it.
      • Doesn't need to be in paragraph format. Bullet points are good. 
      • Does not need to be terribly in depth, but having some idea of what you want the breed to be like helps with writing descriptions and encyclopedia information later.
  • STEP THREE (required): Biome & Element
    • Use the spaces in the standard format for these.
  • IF YOUR REQUEST IS REJECTED
    • Requests in the queue may be rejected for not meeting the above minimum criteria.
    • You will receive a PM if your topic has been rejected, WITH reasons why it was rejected.
    • You may resubmit your rejected request to the queue AFTER the problems (the reasons why it was rejected) are addressed.
    • You may PM a help mod for critique on your request before you resubmit.

•  
Edited by Fuzzbucket

@Fuzzbucket So just to make sure I understand properly, anybody can draw a sprite/sprite a dragon if their post goes through and meets the requirements, or they can either offer to sprite for someone? Not just a special spriting team working for DragonCave?

As in, the OP of a dragon suggestion/sprite sketch can make the actual sprite themselves if the post gets approved and requirements are met?

I mean, I’d usually expect a special spriting team or a team or artists so this is new to me and I’d like to know for the future if I want to do something like this and try to get a sprite approved.

Just double checking *^* 

Anyone can put in a request, including their own sprite - but you HAVE to do the concept (words) not just a sprite.

2 hours ago, Iamartistic2 said:

@Fuzzbucket So just to make sure I understand properly, anybody can draw a sprite/sprite a dragon if their post goes through and meets the requirements, or they can either offer to sprite for someone? Not just a special spriting team working for DragonCave?

As in, the OP of a dragon suggestion/sprite sketch can make the actual sprite themselves if the post gets approved and requirements are met?

I mean, I’d usually expect a special spriting team or a team or artists so this is new to me and I’d like to know for the future if I want to do something like this and try to get a sprite approved.

Just double checking *^* 

The Dragon Requests section is open to everyone on the forum.

If your request gets approved, you can sketch and sprite it all on your own or ask for help.

There is no specified team that does the sketches. In fact, some new spriters have become "in-cave" or official spriters, by submitting their work there and working through the process. Sometimes already in-cave spriters will come and work on requests they find interesting. 

That's one of the biggest draws for me here. People are allowed to submit their ideas and art with the chance of it becoming real. Of course, there are several rules (explicit and vague) like what Fuzzbucket posted that guide the requests, and it's not guaranteed you will get into the cave, but it's possible. 

Does that explain what you wanted to know? 

Oh, on a side note, there are people who are official spriters for Dragon Cave (the in-cave spriters.)  No one is paid, but they are artists who in their free time made art for DC (whether it be dragons or event writing and artwork, etc.) They often submit art directly to TJ privately, and have their own private sub-forum for working on official art work.

NOTE: Submitting to TJ a privately is NOT limited to in-cave artists. Non-cave artists can submit privately as well. It's just more likely for an in-cave artist to get in than an non-cave one. Non-cave artists have to get established (ie. sign all the legal paper work and stuff.) 

Did anyone ever identify what the deal is with avea migration patterns, or is there a thread where it's being discussed? I looked and didn't see one.

The wiki says the aveas migrate every hour, but I think that must be an error. I've seen them stay in the same biome all day.

2 hours ago, tjekan said:

Did anyone ever identify what the deal is with avea migration patterns, or is there a thread where it's being discussed? I looked and didn't see one.

The wiki says the aveas migrate every hour, but I think that must be an error. I've seen them stay in the same biome all day.

Have you checked the dragonopedia for their current biome? I've definitely got some from jungle and desert while their entry currently only says forest. Alternatively perhaps there are certain biomes they're more likely to migrate to than others?

2 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Have you checked the dragonopedia for their current biome? I've definitely got some from jungle and desert while their entry currently only says forest. Alternatively perhaps there are certain biomes they're more likely to migrate to than others?

The wiki says all habitats, which is definitely true. I have caught them in all biomes. But the wiki also says "Habitat shifts every hour." That doesn't match what I've seen at all. They seem to stay in the same biome for at least a day. I was wondering if anyone had been tracking them or just one thing too many to worry about. 🙂

Just now, tjekan said:

The wiki says all habitats, which is definitely true. I have caught them in all biomes. But the wiki also says "Habitat shifts every hour." That doesn't match what I've seen at all. They seem to stay in the same biome for at least a day. I was wondering if anyone had been tracking them or just one thing too many to worry about. 🙂

Hm. Well, I remember during the release they were definitely switching around between forest and jungle at least once every few hours. But if that pattern's changed by then I haven't heard anyone pay close attention to it. Perhaps if someone made a thread or two to discuss tracking them, there'd be more solid info?

10 hours ago, tjekan said:

I monitored them Riftwyrms over three days, and they were migrating almost every hour; on occasion they stuck in one place for more than one hour. And there was no pattern to it at all, which was why I gave up. I have 8 from every biome, caught using the encyclopedia to target the correct one at any given time. Every time I went for them the encyclopaedia changed on the hour, so I knew where to go.

I have never, as you might say, not seen them in coast. It's always been coast and one other, or only coast. At one point it was saying coast, coast !

I didn't think Aveas were everywhere...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I think you are thinking of the Rift Wyrms, Fuzz. The Aveas do migrate, too, but not every hour. I think it is more like every day.

I didn't know the in-cave encyclopedia kept up with what biomes Rifts and Aveas were in. I got mine through brute force LOL! That certainly makes migratory breeds less inconvenient to find... Thanks!

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I didn't think Aveas were everywhere...

I can definitely confirm they are, I have them from all six...

Edited by tjekan

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I think you are thinking of the Rift Wyrms, Fuzz. The Aveas do migrate, too, but not every hour. I think it is more like every day.

Oops you are absolutely right. My apologies !

Is there any tutorial or directions for making groups? I haven't tried to use it before and I don't seem to understand how it works. Are you only able to add dragons to groups one at a time? I try to click on all the dragons I want in a group, but one is highlighted at a time. Is that how it works? Just one dragon can be added at a time? I'm not adding all of one breed to the group, if that matters.

13 minutes ago, raindear said:

Is there any tutorial or directions for making groups? I haven't tried to use it before and I don't seem to understand how it works. Are you only able to add dragons to groups one at a time? I try to click on all the dragons I want in a group, but one is highlighted at a time. Is that how it works? Just one dragon can be added at a time? I'm not adding all of one breed to the group, if that matters.

Try holding the Ctrl key (if you're on Windows; you might have to hold the Option key on Mac, or the Command key, give either a try) when you click to select several individual dragons, or the Shift key to select a range.

Edit: You're welcome! ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the help.

What is the chance of getting a pink out of an aria dragon?