Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

How do you know how to tell before they colour ?

The Even gen thread allows asking for specific breedings.

And yes, there is a trade thread for colour variant stiuf like that:

26 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you know how to tell before they colour ?

Organizing dragons by color. The reds will sort in red, blues in blue, etc. Someone told me how, and so far it has never been wrong. Maybe I'm just lucky with it, but three Nebs that the color organizer said would be red ARE red. The one that said blue...she's blue. Luck, or it really works. I dunno. I just decided to try it. XD

Thanks for the links. I knew the even gen existed, but I hadn't seen the breed variant trade in a while, so I assumed it had been merged with something or deleted.

Good lord. I'm amazed TJ hasn't made sure that doesn't work :D Thanks - when I get back to my nebbie lines I will try that !

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Good lord. I'm amazed TJ hasn't made sure that doesn't work :D Thanks - when I get back to my nebbie lines I will try that !

It is a nice loophole. It's annoying having to raise a miscolored Nebula. I'm glad I found out how to tell what color they would be. I have 2 reds and a blue currently on my scroll (hatchies) and I put them all in my "Nebula" group and organized the group dragons by color. The blue baby was with the blue Neb adults, and the red babies were at the bottom of the list entirely with the red ones. 

I'm sure it'll get fixed, since I don't think we're supposed to know in advance. 

Does anyone know if the color thing works for Gemshards too? Or just Nebulas?

1 hour ago, Suzumiya said:

Does anyone know if the color thing works for Gemshards too? Or just Nebulas?

It only works for hatchies, not eggs, and by the time a Gemshard hatches, you already know XD

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It only works for hatchies, not eggs, and by the time a Gemshard hatches, you already know XD

Coloring sorting doesn't work on Nebula eggs? If this is true, thank God! I still have a chance to get a red baby out of my two bred Nebs from Script parents! I just know it works for sure for hatchlings (or at least the game is trolling me by making it seem to work).

1 hour ago, Suzumiya said:

Coloring sorting doesn't work on Nebula eggs? If this is true, thank God! I still have a chance to get a red baby out of my two bred Nebs from Script parents! I just know it works for sure for hatchlings (or at least the game is trolling me by making it seem to work).

Eggs don't know yet what they will be, whether they alt or not.

There were site glitches which resulted in data being rolled back to an earlier point in time, and some people had eggs hatch twice, once before and once after the rollback, and some got alts out of their egg the first time, but not the second, and others had it happen the other way round. That indicates that alting is being determined at hatching time, not egg-laying time (exceptions are Ridgewings, Dorsals, Florets and time-dependent breeds, of course).

17 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Eggs don't know yet what they will be, whether they alt or not.

There were site glitches which resulted in data being rolled back to an earlier point in time, and some people had eggs hatch twice, once before and once after the rollback, and some got alts out of their egg the first time, but not the second, and others had it happen the other way round. That indicates that alting is being determined at hatching time, not egg-laying time (exceptions are Ridgewings, Dorsals, Florets and time-dependent breeds, of course).

This is a huge relief. Thank you. Now time to pray to the DC gods that I get Red Nebulas from the pairings so I don't have to spend a year getting blue fails. 

Is there a way to make an animated avatar work on the forums, does the image just have to be a specific size? I swear I've seen at least one animated avatar around here recently. :D Though when I uploaded a gif avatar, the animation didn't work.

What's the best place to offer free rares/unbreedables to those who need them? I am a Chicken/Zyu magnet and would love to find someone to give one of my Chicken eggs to, as well as a Yellow or Red Zyu. Or both, since I am not fond of them.

Also, how rare are Candelabras!? I've been searching for 3 hours and haven't seen one!

Like a lot of other commons, Candelabras seem to come in waves.

2 hours ago, Cottoncat said:

Is there a way to make an animated avatar work on the forums, does the image just have to be a specific size? I swear I've seen at least one animated avatar around here recently. :D Though when I uploaded a gif avatar, the animation didn't work.

I believe the "new" forum can no longer take animated avatars, and any still around were uploaded before the update and never changed.

39 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I believe the "new" forum can no longer take animated avatars, and any still around were uploaded before the update and never changed.

Gotcha, thank you for the answer! I was thinking that maybe that could've been the case, yes.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

I know of at least one person who made herself an animated avvie and she only came to the game/forums after the change - maybe ask @Verandi, @Cottoncat

Edited by Herk

I do have an animated avatar, made it myself from a gif making site because I wanted something that was related to what I liked. But all of the images came from the sites wiki and it is rather small so I dont know if I just got lucky or what. I joined the forums on April first, only joined the actual site the day before. 

Does anyone know how to save drafts in the new messenger? 

I feel like I could in the old messenger, but I don't know how to do it in the new one.

Also, how long does the messenger keep messages?

In my indox, it only goes back like a year, but my sent box goes farther than that. 

9 hours ago, Suzumiya said:

What's the best place to offer free rares/unbreedables to those who need them? I am a Chicken/Zyu magnet and would love to find someone to give one of my Chicken eggs to, as well as a Yellow or Red Zyu. Or both, since I am not fond of them.

Also, how rare are Candelabras!? I've been searching for 3 hours and haven't seen one!

Usually, I just make a two-way public trade link on the Hub and ask to offer an unwanted egg/hatchie, they're offered on quite fast. If you'd rather it go to new players/someone who don't have plenty of those yet, you can specify to leave scroll visible and check. 

16 hours ago, Cottoncat said:

You can check if your gif files works by opening it directly in an empty browser tab. I uploaded an animated gif myself with the new forum to test the avatar function, and it worked.

13 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

The new forum can no longer take use external image rotators (which would randomly deliver just one image at a time). The forum would instead load whichever single image was served by the rotator at the time of avatar updating, and thus make the avatar a static one.

7 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Does anyone know how to save drafts in the new messenger? 

I feel like I could in the old messenger, but I don't know how to do it in the new one.

That function seems to have been removed. You could use your private notepad in Account Settings => Edit Profile to save drafts, even though that's not exactly a comfortable way of saving drafts :(

7 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Also, how long does the messenger keep messages?

In my indox, it only goes back like a year, but my sent box goes farther than that. 

Forever, as far as I can tell. If you keep scrolling to the bottom of your inbox, it will load additional batches of messages again and again, whenever you think you've hit rock bottom. I've gone back 3 years this way already ...

Just now, Aurora-Silver said:

I don't see any Eggs in the Cave and the hourly Release failed o.o

My friend tells me the same!

What does it mean when no eggs drop? :(

Have the dragons all figured out that they're surrounded by thieves, and decided to store their eggs in better hiding?

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Newfuzzi said:

What does it mean when no eggs drop? :(

That the hourly egg generation failed. Wait until the next full hour.

Narratively, it would make one wonder why they forget about the thieves after only 1 hour XD

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Do dead eggs count as eggs on your scroll? I could've sworn they used to, but I'm only silver and now including two common egg vamp fails I now have 7 eggs on my scroll...

2 minutes ago, missy20201 said:

Do dead eggs count as eggs on your scroll? I could've sworn they used to, but I'm only silver and now including two common egg vamp fails I now have 7 eggs on my scroll...

They only 'count' for 24 hours, although the shells will stay around for 2 weeks. 

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

They only 'count' for 24 hours, although the shells will stay around for 2 weeks. 

Ahhh that makes much more sense. Thank you!