Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

21 minutes ago, QVic said:

Do we usually have a January release?  I've been watching and keeping my scroll relatively unlock (having 1 egg slot count right? :D)

Not usually (I don't even know if there's a precedent) because we have the Valentine's event at the beginning of February :)

21 minutes ago, QVic said:

Do we usually have a January release?  I've been watching and keeping my scroll relatively unlock (having 1 egg slot count right? :D)

Wouldn't make that much sense... Vday release will be in ~3 weeks. :unsure:

7 hours ago, bloodyneptune said:

Oh my god, this is literally why I came to this thread xD

CB here to all us means 'cave born'.  Someone new to the game may not realize that CB means something different to us than it does out in the real world.  As an example... in the reptile/amphibian pet/hobby trade circles - when people are selling/buying/trading animals specific acronyms are used to designated whether an animal is wild caught (WC) or captive born (CB) or captive bred and born (CBB).  Trying to apply their terminology to the game here gives interesting results...

Eggs taken from the cave would be WC (wild caught) since they were taken directly from the wild.  But, since a player is then hatching those wild eggs in 'captivity'... they also qualify as CB (captive born).

Eggs with a lineage that are hatched in captivity also qualify as CB.  However, lineage eggs also qualify as CBB because they came from adults who were bred in captivity (from the person's scroll) to produce that egg. 

Long ago, dragons that people had released to the wildnerness used to be able to breed at random and on rare occasions throw their eggs to the AP. Some crazy lineages resulted from that.   Since those lineage eggs came from the wild, they would qualify as WC and CB, but never CBB since the parents were not in captivity at the time they bred to produce the egg.

48 minutes ago, QVic said:

Generally speaking we don't have a January release.  However, there was one year (2012) where we had a release on January 23 (Gold Wyverns and Royal Blues).  Chinese New Year fell earlier than usual. Normally it tends to fall in February or very late January which puts it a little too close to the Valentine event.  I probably would not expect to see another CNY release until Sunday, Jan 22, 2023.

*edit.  The 2012 release was also the year of the dragon.  The 2023 date would be year of the rabbit, however, 2024 will be the next year of the dragon but the date falls on Feb 10.... so kind of a toss up.

Edited by WraithZephyr

27 minutes ago, WraithZephyr said:

CB here to all us means 'cave born'.  Someone new to the game may not realize that CB means something different to us than it does out in the real world.  As an example... in the reptile/amphibian pet/hobby trade circles - when people are selling/buying/trading animals specific acronyms are used to designated whether an animal is wild caught (WC) or captive born (CB) or captive bred and born (CBB).  Trying to apply their terminology to the game here gives interesting results...

Eggs taken from the cave would be WC (wild caught) since they were taken directly from the wild.  But, since a player is then hatching those wild eggs in 'captivity'... they also qualify as CB (captive born).

Eggs with a lineage that are hatched in captivity also qualify as CB.  However, lineage eggs also qualify as CBB because they came from adults who were bred in captivity (from the person's scroll) to produce that egg. 

Long ago, dragons that people had released to the wildnerness used to be able to breed at random and on rare occasions throw their eggs to the AP. Some crazy lineages resulted from that.   Since those lineage eggs came from the wild, they would qualify as WC and CB, but never CBB since the parents were not in captivity at the time they bred to produce the egg.

I checked the scroll, and it says 2009. But that username here either hasnt logged in since 09, or its someone else and they dont have a forum account. So I did think maybe someone who knows none of the terms might think since the entire site is *called* Dragon Cave, a egg bred would be 'cave born'. But your "captive bred" thing make sense, I dont think Ive ever seen someone write out "cave born" on the trades. And if the term CB is used for breeding captive reptiles, and breeding captive reptiles is literally what they did, I could see assuming thats what it means.

Building them and building on lineages that others have started gives you something to accomplish besides just collecting dragon sprites, which can get pretty boring after awhile. I would never have stuck with this game for 10 years just to collect dragons.

Edited by purplehaze

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Building them and building on lineages that others have started gives you something to accomplish besides just collecting dragon sprites, which can get pretty boring after awhile. I would never have stuck with this game for 10 years just to collect dragons.

as in like why would people trade more for (as an example) a Sunstone egg/hatchling or something like that if one of its parents/ancestors is a Gold Tinsel or something like that?

19 minutes ago, InfiniteGalaxiezz05 said:

as in like why would people trade more for (as an example) a Sunstone egg/hatchling or something like that if one of its parents/ancestors is a Gold Tinsel or something like that?

Because they can use it for their own projects. A Gold Tinsel is hard to get, as you can't just catch them in the cave, so you need to trade or wait until you win one :P if you want to make a lineage with Tinsels.

That said, not any Tinsel that appears somewhere in the lineage makes the egg more valuable. It always depends on the combination.

Edited by Fly-by-Night

27 minutes ago, InfiniteGalaxiezz05 said:

CB Tinsels and Shimmerscales (Prize dragons) are still relatively rare, even with the monthly raffle now. Starting a lineage that involves them means either already having won one, or needing to trade for an offspring of one. Personally I think Shimmers in general are beautiful in lineages, so majestic and shiny. A lot of people like making lineages with Tinsels and Shimmers, perhaps in part because of the challenge. But unless they are one of the few who has a CB, they have to trade to get what they need. (Also, in general low-generation Tinsels and Shimmers are going to be considered 'rare' because of that small amount of CBs, so even a really-common breed paired with a low-gen Prize is often seen as fairly valuable.)

If you are egglocked, can you still trade hatchlings via Dragon Cave's trading mechanism? Or will the trade be canceled?

Edited by Sunrise

Yes, you can still trade hatchlings. You can even trade eggs as long as you trade 1:1.

Is DC being a PAIN to play today for anyone else?

The forum keeps giving me zero-sized replies (aka blank pages) and DC itself feels like GIVING ME THE SAME ERROR AGAIN that I already had some days ago, which Confused Cat had observed first, but ONLY whenever I do NOT get that darn tombstone error for a change.

GRAAAARGH!

I forgot -- have we ever had new dragon releases happening in January? Or have I been preparing for nothing for the last few hours? XD

2 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

I forgot -- have we ever had new dragon releases happening in January? Or have I been preparing for nothing for the last few hours? XD

According to WraithZephyr above there has only ever been one, in 2012. I'd be very surprised if we had one now, with less than three weeks til the Valentine's release and even less before Valentines breeding.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Is DC being a PAIN to play today for anyone else?

The forum keeps giving me zero-sized replies (aka blank pages) and DC itself feels like GIVING ME THE SAME ERROR AGAIN that I already had some days ago, which Confused Cat had observed first, but ONLY whenever I do NOT get that darn tombstone error for a change.

GRAAAARGH!

Site's going up and down for me - and isup.me agrees. Some of the time it says it's down too.

Just now, FiveSix said:

According to WraithZephyr above there has only ever been one, in 2012. I'd be very surprised if we had one now, with less than three weeks til the Valentine's release and even less before Valentines breeding.

Yeah, I got a feeling it's probably not going to happen. But the site is glitching up for me and my mind keeps screaming that TJ's programming in a new release... XD Maybe I just need to take a break.

2 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

Yeah, I got a feeling it's probably not going to happen. But the site is glitching up for me and my mind keeps screaming that TJ's programming in a new release... XD Maybe I just need to take a break.

I'm seeing downtime/loading errors too, and sort of repeatedly checking the news section... XD

But I'm not optimistic that it'll really happen so much as I want to be sure to catch it early in the unlikely event it does.

I'm locked with lineage stuff. Also with the glitchiness just now I HOPE there won't be one !

As a fairly new player, I'm wondering, is it possible to dodge the 5-hour-lock of a freshly caught CB egg by bsa incubating it? I'm thinking it might, beause the incubate takes a day off the egg's timer. However I don't have the bravery to try it, even if i had an available for bsa red dragon right now :D

I'm wondering if any of you have tried it?

8 minutes ago, nordana said:

is it possible to dodge the 5-hour-lock of a freshly caught CB egg by bsa incubating it?

Nope. An egg's age cannot change, only its countdown.

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Nope. An egg's age cannot change, only its countdown.

Oh, thanks! Good that I haven't tried then :)

14 hours ago, Sazandora said:

Last time we had a Jan release was 2012 for the Chinese new year (it was the year of the dragon and the date fell earlier than normal).  I really don't see another Chinese New year release possibly happening until maybe 2023 (when it falls early again; year of the rabbit) or maybe 2024 (when it coincides with year of the dragon again but the date would be in Feb).