Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

@Lagie @missy_

I'm not sure if that's correct. The wiki says:

and those that hatch at 2 days 0 hours to 0 days 0 hours will be purple. The time refers to the egg's natural time left, without the use of Incubate.

If you incubate an egg at 3 days left, it's natural time left is still 3 days left, so it would hatch blue, I think? 

I think you need to wait till its natural time is 2 days left (or 1 day left if you incubated it). Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

27 minutes ago, Cinspawn said:

@Lagie @missy_

and those that hatch at 2 days 0 hours to 0 days 0 hours will be purple. The time refers to the egg's natural time left, without the use of Incubate.

If you incubate an egg at 3 days left, it's natural time left is still 3 days left, so it would hatch blue, I think? 

I think you need to wait till its natural time is 2 days left (or 1 day left if you incubated it). Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

I believe that you are correct.

Are there any in-cave artists open for DMs for art crits? Not sprites, but the actual sketches that turn into the sprites.

14 minutes ago, Keileon said:

Are there any in-cave artists open for DMs for art crits? Not sprites, but the actual sketches that turn into the sprites.

There's a list here of artists who are open to being pinged for final crits for dragon requests. Since those artists have indicated a willingness to be contacted in regard to dragon request threads, I would recommend starting there and politely sending one a message to ask whether they would be interested in providing critique for sketches. As long as you're polite and friendly when approaching people, I'm sure you'll find someone who's willing to help. :)

6 hours ago, Cinspawn said:

@Lagie @missy_

That IS correct. I incubated all mine when they first came out and had to wait till the ones to be purple hit one day. It was - quite scary. But at that time a few people who were determined this theory was wrong  (we were all guessing at the time) hatched incubated eggs at a day and a half. They turned blue.

11 hours ago, missy_ said:

I have a question about creating a Purple Siyat, having never done it before.

As long as it hatches at the *age* of 5 days or older, it'll be purple. It doesn't matter what else you do with it or if/when you incubate it.

Check the date and time when the egg was laid/stolen, add 5 days and note it in your calendar. If it hatches after that point, it'll be purple.

The only reason to incubate a Siyat egg you intend to hatch purple is to make hatcheries and hatchery visitors believe it's in great danger of dying within less than 24 hours and give it priority for views.

5 hours ago, Dracaena said:

Deepsea, shallow water, baikala, and water.

Ooh thank you very much

On 12/1/2018 at 12:13 AM, missy_ said:

In order to have the best chance of avoiding permanent refusal, do I need to use Fertility on both dragons, or can I use it on only one dragon? 

Thanks in advance. 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:24 AM, Imzadi said:

I don't think using on both dragons has any more effect that a single use.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:36 AM, missy_ said:

I hope that is true, because I am running out of Purples! 

I have some gorgeous even gens that I want to pair though, and I don't want to take any chance of a refusal since they aren't replaceable. 

So maybe she won't refuse him, but he might refuse her ... that is what I am not sure of. 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:52 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

Refusals are about a pair, not about one dragon.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:36 AM, Astreya said:

@missy_

One fertilized dragon usual does it - I had one exception: When there are Turpentines involved. With Turpentines one can still get refusals despite using Fertility. But for all other dragon types using Fertility on one of the partners helped me not getting refusals any more. Fertility just doesn't really help with a greater chance for an egg, my feeling tells me. ^^

Fertility update:

Hey folks, unfortunately, I had a very bad refusal yesterday ...  it was for an extremely important pairing, one of my two Mistletoes and my one male Guardian of Nature. I used fertility on the Mistletoe but not on him. I got the dreaded "the dragons refuse to go near each other." :(

I am simply devastated.  

I wonder, had I used fertility on both dragons, if the chances of a refusal would have been statistically lessened.

Maybe *she* was in the mood, but *he* was not. -_- And, apparently, he never will be again now ... 

I have other very important pairings, some irreplaceable, and I am now afraid to try anything without using double fertility (fertility on both mates). 

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome. I had been using just the one fertility since asking about it in here, but now it seems risky for any new pairs to only use one.  Thanks in advance.  

37 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I wonder, had I used fertility on both dragons, if the chances of a refusal would have been statistically lessened.

Maybe *she* was in the mood, but *he* was not. -_- And, apparently, he never will be again now ... 

I have other very important pairings, some irreplaceable, and I am now afraid to try anything without using double fertility (fertility on both mates). 

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome. I had been using just the one fertility since asking about it in here, but now it seems risky for any new pairs to only use one.  Thanks in advance.  

Using fertility on both dragons will have no extra benefit. All it does is waste your second fertility. I suppose if it's going to make you worry afterwards that you made the 'wrong' decision, you could always do it just for the peace of mind, but it won't actually make any difference to the outcome.

3 hours ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Why did Cheshire only do one dragon?  The Speckle-throated is one of my absolute favorites--the gendered hatchlings as well as the adults.

It's ultimately up to TJ which dragons get released into the cave. Some artists have worked on a greater number of dragons simply because they have more time, while others have only worked on a few projects. How particular artists choose to dedicate their time on the site is something only they can answer. 

59 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Fertility on both will not make a difference. Fertility doesn't guarantee no refusal; it just helps. WE all have pairs that are vital. We all have that happen at times. It's just lousy luck.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

22 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

Using fertility on both dragons will have no extra benefit. All it does is waste your second fertility. I suppose if it's going to make you worry afterwards that you made the 'wrong' decision, you could always do it just for the peace of mind, but it won't actually make any difference to the outcome.

Thanks, all. Has TJ said or has there been a definite announcement about this since the 2016 update? The info in the "Help" file and on the wiki page seems like it is for the original fertility (1.5 increase).

I found this old quote from Sock below from 2015:  It lists the "1.5 multiplier" quote but that was before Fertility was updated in 2016?  It doesn't look like the Help file or the wiki have discussed using on individual dragons or maybe I am missing it. 

On 8/30/2015 at 4:49 AM, Obscure_Trash said:

From the FAQ:

Q: Does fertility guarantee an egg?

A: No, it only increases your chances a bit (by about 50%). As specifically said by TJ in a help thread: "It's a 1.5x multiplier."

I find it awesome for more common yet stubborn pairings (which stripes seemingly fall under). No harm in using it, even if you aren't sure it will help, anyway. =3

The "newer" ability (since 2016) seems like it could pertain to each individual dragon. Just musing aloud here ... I forget the exact fertility message, but it is something like it increases the chances that that particular dragon will have a better chance in the next breeding, and maybe the chances of breeding an egg are increased, but has TJ definitely stated whether using on two dragons versus one affects refusals (versus increasing the chances of an egg)? Probably wishful thinking on my part. 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Fertility on both will not make a difference. Fertility doesn't guarantee no refusal; it just helps. 

Fuzz, is this anywhere in writing? I don't see it in the Help file; did TJ say something definite about this?

Thanks, you guys. I guess it is wishful thinking on my part: it almost seems like fertility is a two-part issue. One, the possibility of breeding an egg increases. Two, the possibility of a refusal decreases.  I get that the egg breeding part would only take one fertility to help, but it seems (she said hopefully) that maybe if they both have a dose of fertility they might be less likely to refuse?

My proud and mighty Guardian of Nature ... he just couldn't be seen with that Mistletoe ... I can't help but wonder if a dose of Fertility might have lessened his pride a notch! (I thought she was a great mate for him; shows how much I know.)

TJ did. First post in the announcement,. He has said it again since.

Purple BSA: Fertility

Use this BSA to increase the chance of a successful breeding. Just choose one dragon to use it on, and the next time they breed their chances will be upped. Using it on both dragons on a pair does not produce any increased effect.

In 2016 he added the ability to reduce refusals:

But he has never said using it on both would help.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

TJ did. First post in the announcement,. He has said it again since.

I see it now, thank you -- just noticing that is from 2011, before the change in 2016 ... has he said anything since 2016 about it? 

Edited by missy_

Thank you for that quote. I am looking (probably too closely) at the words TJ said:

"Dragons that have had their fertility increased via the Purple Dragon's BSA" (which could be interpreted as the single dragon the BSA was used on)  

"have a significantly reduced chance of refusing another dragon."  (which could be interpreted as that one dragon has a significantly reduced chance of refusing another dragon ... but that it only affects that one dragon)

I know ... probably wishful thinking on my part that using two Purples would lessen the chance of refusals, but hey, TJ, if you want to keep me from wasting all my purples, XD can you give us anything definite? ;) 

@missy_ Is the Mistletoe in question this one? https://dragcave.net/progeny/IzQ9e

Could it be that they had refused before already and just accepted each other during the holiday season? If so, Fertility unfortunately cannot undo the previous refusal :( It's still stored in the system despite those lovely holiday babies and will stay there forever.

13 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

@missy_ Is the Mistletoe in question this one? https://dragcave.net/progeny/IzQ9e

Could it be that they had refused before already and just accepted each other during the holiday season? If so, Fertility unfortunately cannot undo the previous refusal :( It's still stored in the system despite those lovely holiday babies and will stay there forever.

Ruby Eyes, to my knowledge and to the best of my memory, I had never bred them outside the holiday season until this attempt. I had read the advice to be sure to use Purple on holiday breeding pairs for their first attempt outside a holiday breeding.  

Also, usually if a pair refuses, that potential mate sinks to the bottom, and they were available to mate, if that makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Also, usually if a pair refuses, that potential mate sinks to the bottom, and they were available to mate, if that makes sense. 

That bit gets reset when they mate successfully during a holiday, unfortunately.

When breeding, was the mate listed at the top or in scroll sort order? edit: forget that question - you probably won't remember that bit from over 2 years and 11 months ago.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

55 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That bit gets reset when they mate successfully during a holiday, unfortunately.

Thanks; I didn't know it gets reset after holiday breeding. I don't think they had ever bred outside of the holiday season; I can't say with 100% certainty but I am fairly sure. 

As to your second question, you are correct; I don't remember the breeding order. (Even from the recent breeding I can't remember ... ?!) 

How desperate are you for an avatar from that pair ? Mine just didn't produce an egg, so I can try again in the New Year, if that would help ?

32 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How desperate are you for an avatar from that pair ? Mine just didn't produce an egg, so I can try again in the New Year, if that would help ?

Thank you so much, Fuzz; I will PM you. ^^ 

Just one Little Thing,

Just read it in a few threads. There are no refusals for breeding with Hollidays during their Holidays, is that right?

So I wouldn't need to spare my fertilize BSAs^^