Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

How long does soft-shell sickness on an AVERAGE last if an egg is hidden? I know it varies, but what's the typical time?

There's not really a typical time because, as you said, it varies. Probably a few hours, though, unless you have an extremely high amount of stats.

How long does soft-shell sickness on an AVERAGE last if an egg is hidden? I know it varies, but what's the typical time?

As Sock says, that is almost impossible to answer. Each egg is different, even with similar views and of course the higher the stats the longer it is likely to stay sick.

Even if the sickness goes away quickly, it is best to keep the egg fogged for at least 4 hours so it doesn't just turn around and get sick again. Some will say to keep it fogged for a whole day, but I have never found that to be necessary -- unless you suspect view-bombing.

Edited by purplehaze

As Sock says, that is almost impossible to answer. Each egg is different, even with similar views and of course the higher the stats the longer it is likely to stay sick.

Even if the sickness goes away quickly, it is best to keep the egg fogged for at least 4 hours so it doesn't just turn around and get sick again. Some will say to keep it fogged for a whole day, but I have never found that to be necessary -- unless you suspect view-bombing.

Makes sense. Should we start collecting statistics?

Makes sense. Should we start collecting statistics?

I'm curious how you would do this, since the amount of stats the egg collects before you fog it is a huge determining factor in how quickly the egg gets better. If you fog it right when it gets sick, it'll heal quickly. If it sits sick for several hours, it'll take several hours to get better. The amount of time the egg has left is also going to factor into what stats are required to get the egg sick in the first place. You're going to need an insane number of stats, most of which will have questionable accuracy ("how long was the egg sick for?" being the primary one - most of us can't watch an egg for hours and hours to see when it gets better), to get anything meaningful out of it imo.

Personally, I've seen eggs be sick anywhere from a few minutes (got sick while I was at the computer and I fogged it instantly) to 12h+ (stubborn GoN that I finally shoved into hatching).

I'm curious how you would do this, since the amount of stats the egg collects before you fog it is a huge determining factor in how quickly the egg gets better. If you fog it right when it gets sick, it'll heal quickly. If it sits sick for several hours, it'll take several hours to get better. The amount of time the egg has left is also going to factor into what stats are required to get the egg sick in the first place. You're going to need an insane number of stats, most of which will have questionable accuracy ("how long was the egg sick for?" being the primary one - most of us can't watch an egg for hours and hours to see when it gets better), to get anything meaningful out of it imo.

Personally, I've seen eggs be sick anywhere from a few minutes (got sick while I was at the computer and I fogged it instantly) to 12h+ (stubborn GoN that I finally shoved into hatching).

You're right but couldn't we come up with "a standard way to collect statistics"?

Let's assume that everybody that wants to be part of the "statistics gathering project" does at least the following:

- records when the egg was caught

- adds the egg to n hatcheries, recording when that was done.

Just thinking now, this must have a ton of holes.

You're right but couldn't we come up with "a standard way to collect statistics"?

Let's assume that everybody that wants to be part of the "statistics gathering project" does at least the following:

- records when the egg was caught

- adds the egg to n hatcheries, recording when that was done.

Just thinking now, this must have a ton of holes.

Hatcheries get different traffic at different times of the day. An egg I catch at 11 AM DC will not have the same reception as an egg I catch at 11 PM, even if entered into exactly the same hatcheries immediately after catching. You also have to factor "helpers" into account; if someone adds eggs to a hatchery uninvited, that egg's results are officially tainted. Different breeds will also get different sick with different stats, so you'd have to record the egg's breed as well. I've also heard rumors that CB and bred eggs behave somewhat differently, as well as bred vs. self-bred; I don't think any of that is actually confirmed, but it's still something you'll have to keep in mind.

I think you're also likely to have trouble finding people voluntarily getting eggs sick, since nobody knows exactly when sickness will kill an egg; every egg you get sick is taking a pretty serious risk unless you fog it right away, which defeats the point of collecting data in the first place (since a sick egg, if fogged right away, will probably not stay sick very long).

Also kinda curious what you'd do with the collected data and any trends you find. Do you have a specific use in mind, or is it more a "oh, so that's how that works" kinda thing?

Question for zombies...

I have LOTS of frozen hatchies that I want to try to zombify this Halloween. I know my limit is 5^^

When should I start killing them to get as many tries possible?

Thanks!

Question for zombies...

I have LOTS of frozen hatchies that I want to try to zombify this Halloween. I know my limit is 5^^

When should I start killing them to get as many tries possible?

Thanks!

If you let a hatchies timer run out, you can try for a lot more than five. It's just that the limit for the kill action is five times.

Dead things stay on the scroll for two weeks, so killing them within the two week limit works best. And there's actually a catch (or there was anyway) to this that lets you try with 10 killed things for Halloween, but I'm so tired I can't recall it. It's probably in the zombie advice thread, though: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=128136

If you let a hatchies timer run out, you can try for a lot more than five. It's just that the limit for the kill action is five times.

Dead things stay on the scroll for two weeks, so killing them within the two week limit works best. And there's actually a catch (or there was anyway) to this that lets you try with 10 killed things for Halloween, but I'm so tired I can't recall it. It's probably in the zombie advice thread, though: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=128136

The catch is killing on two days.

If you kill your first 5 midway through the 17th, you can revive those 5 early on the 31st. Then your killslots will come back midway through the 31st (exactly 2 weeks after your first set of kills) and you can kill another 5 and revive them instantly. 10 zombie attempts total.

Remember that a dragon that dodges a kill will keep dodging for 24 hours though - line up more fodder than just 10 dragons.

I'm a newb...

What's with inbreeding? Do people just not like it or dies it have actual consequences?

How do you get people's attention (I mean like on Flight Rising (dragon game) you can ping people to give them a notification you replied)

How will I know you replied?

Also what is this forum, BBcode or HTML?

Basically BBcode.

I'm a newb...

What's with inbreeding? Do people just not like it or dies it have actual consequences?

How do you get people's attention (I mean like on Flight Rising (dragon game) you can ping people to give them a notification you replied)

How will I know you replied?

It's when you breed two dragons together that are related.

There are NO in game consequences to inbreeding. It all has to do with personal preference. Some people don't like inbreeding at all. Some people are okay with inbreeding if it's done in a "neat" manner (ie a recognizable pattern - something like an checker where the lineage is pleasing to the eye). Some people absolutely don't mind or love inbreeding.

Terminology: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=32113

Lineage terminology: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124902

You can PM people. You can track a topic to see if replies have shown up in the topic. But the only way to know if someone has replied specifically to your post is to check the thread.

Also what is this forum, BBcode or HTML?

BBCode. If you aren't using fast reply, but actually clicking "post reply", under the emotes you'll see "BB Code Help" and above the posting box is a bunch of quick code buttons you can use.

Please don't double post unless:

-It's been at least a day since the last post

-You're quoting a bunch of people/doing a lot of coding in your posts

You can edit a post with the edit button in the upper right corner of your posts. ^^

Thanks for the info!

This one isn't a double post, right?

Also, what's with cheese dragons? They don't have genders so how do they increase in number? How can I get one?

Thanks for the info!

This one isn't a double post, right?

Also, what's with cheese dragons? They don't have genders so how do they increase in number? How can I get one?

Here is the Cheese description:

Cheese Dragons are not actually alive. They are enchanted items of food that act almost identically to dragons. They have no need to eat, but they must “live” in humid environments or they will dry out and harden.

They are enchanted/created, so that's how they increase. They cannot breed. They are caught in the cave, though.

You might be interested in looking around the DC wiki (user run but good info): http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Cave_Wiki =)

And no, a double post is when you have two posts in a row with nobody else's post in between.

Hatcheries get different traffic at different times of the day. An egg I catch at 11 AM DC will not have the same reception as an egg I catch at 11 PM, even if entered into exactly the same hatcheries immediately after catching. You also have to factor "helpers" into account; if someone adds eggs to a hatchery uninvited, that egg's results are officially tainted. Different breeds will also get different sick with different stats, so you'd have to record the egg's breed as well. I've also heard rumors that CB and bred eggs behave somewhat differently, as well as bred vs. self-bred; I don't think any of that is actually confirmed, but it's still something you'll have to keep in mind.

I think you're also likely to have trouble finding people voluntarily getting eggs sick, since nobody knows exactly when sickness will kill an egg; every egg you get sick is taking a pretty serious risk unless you fog it right away, which defeats the point of collecting data in the first place (since a sick egg, if fogged right away, will probably not stay sick very long).

Also kinda curious what you'd do with the collected data and any trends you find. Do you have a specific use in mind, or is it more a "oh, so that's how that works" kinda thing?

You're right but, in my defense, I belong to a world where a lot of data is collected and recorded so patterns can be identified and exceptions are just... exceptions. I guess no extrapolation is possible in DC smile.gif

Probably I'm more of a "oh, so that's how that works" kinda person as my brothers could tell you as victims of the "awfully annoying baby sister" "transforming" their preschool toys on organized piles of pieces.

Anyway, I'm giving up on before I get myself on more trouble... *walking backwards with tail between legs."

You're right but, in my defense, I belong to a world where a lot of data is collected and recorded so patterns can be identified and exceptions are just... exceptions. I guess no extrapolation is possible in DC smile.gif

Probably I'm more of a "oh, so that's how that works" kinda person as my brothers could tell you as victims of the "awfully annoying baby sister" "transforming" their preschool toys on organized piles of pieces.

Anyway, I'm giving up on before I get myself on more trouble... *walking backwards with tail between legs."

You can try to extrapolate. I've tried similar extrapolation with different data and a different end in mind, but it didn't go that well for me. tongue.gif Too much RNG, too little data, I think. Would be curious to see if yours goes any better.

You're unlikely to get in trouble as long as you keep the extrapolation off the forums. I believe that's seen as reverse engineering around here. Can certainly discuss it via PM though.

When do the Spirit Wards change glow? I know I saw that information somewhere, but can't find it anymore (I checked the wiki).

When do the Spirit Wards change glow? I know I saw that information somewhere, but can't find it anymore (I checked the wiki).

It's in the spirit ward release thread. :3

Timeline:

6:00 AM EST-6:00 PM EST - Black Coloration

6:00 PM EST - Black Red

7:00 PM EST - (cont'd)

8:00 PM EST - Red

9:00 PM EST - (cont'd)

10:00 PM EST - Red Orange

11:00 PM EST - Gold

12:00 AM EST - (cont'd)

1:00 AM EST - Red Orange

2:00 AM EST - Red

3:00 AM EST - (cont'd)

4:00 AM EST - Black Ref

5:00 AM EST - (cont'd)

6:00 AM EST-6:00 PM EST - Black Coloration

EDIT: It is also in the wiki - in 24hr form. It's also auto-hidden, you have to click to show. =o

http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_Ward...anging_Sequence

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It's on the wiki. You gotta click the Show/Hide button to reveal it.

(BlueSonic, if you're reading this, maybe we should just get rid of that? This isn't the first time people have completely missed that toggle.)

Okay, so someone owes me quite a few hatchlings has had a full inbox for quite a while now and I don't know what to do about it, they've obviously forgotten about the IOU.

Okay, so someone owes me quite a few hatchlings has had a full inbox for quite a while now and I don't know what to do about it, they've obviously forgotten about the IOU.

There's nothing you can do. IOUs are not officially supported by the site, so you're on your own if someone fails to uphold their end.

If their inbox is persistently full it's likely they're on hiatus. Maybe try messaging every few weeks or so, and hopefully they'll return soon and deal with the IOU. (From personal experience with the other side of this exact situation - life happens, often in unexpected ways. I was able to return and deal with my IOUs, although quite belatedly. Hopefully your person can do the same.)