Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Why are coppers so rare, despite the fact that the creator didn't want it to be a rare? 

I may or may not be a little salty that I can't find a verdigris since I started playing again...

3 hours ago, god.ofthedead said:

Why are coppers so rare, despite the fact that the creator didn't want it to be a rare? 

I may or may not be a little salty that I can't find a verdigris since I started playing again...

They are rare because they are so lovely.... and the verdigris are the loveliest.

In other words - it's player created rarity.

At one point vines were like super-rare, even tho they are supposed to be common/uncommon, because of users (I'm assuming because of the chance of an alt). Official rarity is a nice baseline-idea, but true rarity is decided by player's actions.

Edited by Marie19R

1 hour ago, fuzzbucket said:

They are rare because they are so lovely.... and the verdigris are the loveliest.

AKA, whatever you are looking for at the moment will suddenly become scarce.

2 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

They are very pretty :(

1 hour ago, ainisarie said:

AKA, whatever you are looking for at the moment will suddenly become scarce.

Exactly! Haven't seen a Kingcrowne or Verdigris since I started again. I've gotten dozens of Xyus and Xenos, seen several Leetles, Papers, Cheeses, etc

I don't think it's entirely player created. Player actions do have definite effects (see the afterwards of common mass breeds, or the times seasonals and blacks almost vanished), but I don't think coppers being rare is just a user thing. Artificial events like the Holly contest never fully succeeded in making commons truly uncommon, and popular but more common breeds like whites, GWs, and blacks are still readily available.

THAT BEING SAID--Coppers do seem to be going through a real dry patch at present in breeding; I'm working on several breeding projects right now with them and have gotten more silvers than coppers (and more silvers than blusangs and tan ridgewings... very annoying). But as ANOTHER addendum, they can still be seen often in trade threads, so I think they're about on par with xenos in cave drop rate right now, which isn't great, but isn't a new level of rarity either. They're just drier on the breeding front. (Although admittedly I've mostly been trading / seeking red and brown, so if greens are doing something different I might not have noticed. However, it is worth noting that greens have always been the most treasured of the trio, both for beauty and because their biomes are pretty common packed and thus that much more likely to not yield uncommons)

tl;dr I don't think the copper ratios are much different then they've always been, and I think copper rarity is mostly independent of user created rarity :P

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Does Fertility affect whether two dragons "don’t really show much interest in each other"? Or does it just make it more likely to get an egg, if they are interested in breeding? Or both?

Edited by Tecca

1 hour ago, Tecca said:

Does Fertility affect whether two dragons "don’t really show much interest in each other"? Or does it just make it more likely to get an egg, if they are interested in breeding? Or both?

TJ says it reduces the chance of an actual refusal, so I guess it might. And someone said they found it helpful with reluctant pairs.

So far, all I've seen mentioned by TJ was

- it lowers the chance of "no egg" in favour of the chance of getting an actual egg

- it lowers chance of refusal (quite considerably, by my observation - it's mostly Turpentines that resist the Purple's enchantment)

Interest or lack thereof was not mentioned for Fertility. That one seems to be affected by how often individuals are bred, which is why switching mates sometimes helps.

Is it stated anywhere in the site rules that I can't post my phone number in my description or scroll? I'm just checking before I do something stupid.  :P  (mostly cuz I don't check my email daily and I tend to end up on hiatus after some time, so text is easier for me.  Also because I don't care at all if random people text and I only pick up calls from two people and have caller display.)

I don't think there is anything in the rules, but I certainly wouldn't do it myself. There are only a very few pieces of info needed to steal your identity - and a phone number is one of them. They don't need to phone you to use it for Evil Purposes.

And phonebooks can be used to slap you. :lol:

You could check if your email provider can text you in case of certain emails (e.g. tagging or pming notifications), using filter rules.

26 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

And phonebooks can be used to slap you. :lol:

You could check if your email provider can text you in case of certain emails (e.g. tagging or pming notifications), using filter rules.

Well sure - but why OFFER yourself up ?

Not that we GET usable phone books any more in the UK - tiny skinny ones with print so small you can't read them.

I am having a problem with folders in the message system. I have six messages that inexplicably ended up in my breeding requests folder when I was cleaning out my inbox. I want them in my "saved" folder, but no matter how many times I have tried to move them they stay right where they are. I have tried moving all of them at once and I have tried moving one at a time, but they still sit stubbornly in my "breeding requests" folder. Any ideas?

Are people able to "claim" our old usernames if we change them? I feel like the answer to that is no, but I can't remember :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, polaristar said:

Are people able to "claim" our old usernames if we change them? I feel like the answer to that is no, but I can't remember :rolleyes:

Nope! Our old names are still in the database 'limbo' and profile for mods to see.

23 minutes ago, CamIza said:

Nope! Our old names are still in the database 'limbo' and profile for mods to see.

On a similar line of thought, are we able to go back to our old username after the 90 days are up or can we just not use it at all anymore? I'm debating changing my user but want to make sure I can change it back if I want :P

18 hours ago, polaristar said:

On a similar line of thought, are we able to go back to our old username after the 90 days are up or can we just not use it at all anymore? I'm debating changing my user but want to make sure I can change it back if I want :P

I don't know if we can do that, sorry!

21 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Are any other Mac users unable to use the control/command + click multi-select feature for groups?

I can't seem to be able to use it either.

I'm considering freezing one of my hatchlings. .. it's the first rare dragon I ever get from the cave myself and it's an unbreedable.

Is there any reason I might regret this choice? I just find the 2nd stage hatchling really cute.

I haven't frozen anything yet 

3 minutes ago, Vixey said:

I'm considering freezing one of my hatchlings. .. it's the first rare dragon I ever get from the cave myself and it's an unbreedable.

Is there any reason I might regret this choice? I just find the 2nd stage hatchling really cute.

I haven't frozen anything yet 

Well, if it's an unbreedable that means you can't breed it so that's not a problem.

Have you seen the adult version? Do you like the hatchling more than the adult? Are you fine with keeping a hatchling at hatchling stage? Those are really the only questions you need to decide if you want it frozen or not. And unbreedables are always in cave so you always have the chance to get a second one or more if you want one of a different stage.

Just now, Shadowdrake said:

Well, if it's an unbreedable that means you can't breed it so that's not a problem.

Have you seen the adult version? Do you like the hatchling more than the adult? Are you fine with keeping a hatchling at hatchling stage? Those are really the only questions you need to decide if you want it frozen or not. And unbreedables are always in cave so you always have the chance to get a second one or more if you want one of a different stage.

Yeah I've seen the adult - it's a cheese dragon, not really a fan of it grown and I like the 2nd hatchie stage one much more;; I'm glad there are no big downsides to freezing then. On some other sites ive been, freezing would sometimes have a big downside so I just had to ask to make sure. Thanks so much for your help! 

For the two-headed lindwurm, do the different colors (purple and green) have different rarity, or are they basically the same?