Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

14 minutes ago, Seahorse said:

Ahh okay, so it would be quite hard to get a horse from a kingcrowne? Perhaps?

And the wiki defines Kingcrowne as Uncommon....

Perhaps. As mentioned, it's really hard to say. Kingcrownes don't seem as absurdly common as other new releases, though, and horses are pretty good breeders themselves, so I'd say your odds aren't terrible. :3

And ahhh, gotcha. Take wiki rarity with a grain of salt--it's really hard to pin anything but the commonest commons and rarest rares down as definite. 

Edit: I just tried three kingcrowne x horse pairs and got 2 horses and 1 kingcrowne, so I think you'll be just fine ^^

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Small question: I was under the assumption (for some reason) that when adding dragons to Groups, ctrl+click would allow me to select multiple dragons not in a row? Is that correct, or am I remembering things wrong? Because it's not working. Searching for "Green" to add Pebble adults, I don't want to select the "add same breed" button 'cause I don't want to add all the frozen hatchies, but trying to ctrl+click multiple Pebble adults doesn't do anything at all. .... Oh wait, I just tried it again, and apparently it works randomly every so often? I have three separate dragons, not in a row, selected now, but it won't let me select certain dragons. I can ctrl+click and select some, after many many clicks, but some I click and click and it does nothing. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

I had the same effect today, but I cannot quite pinpoint it. I was able to select 3 dragons this way, not a 4th, so I added those 3 first, then went to the Add Dragons interface again, and this time it did let me add the one I couldn't select before. I thought there may be a selection limit or somesuch but did not test it further.

In the interest of statistics, I too was only able to select three dragons that way (after many clicks), and couldn't get a forth no matter how much I clicked. So maybe you might be right about a selection limit? Don't understand why the limit would be so low though.

Dragon has a "Last Bred" date, but doesn't have any mates at the top, and no mates have been rejected (at the bottom). What does that mean? I Killed/Released the other dragon, maybe?

Is it by chance a Holiday dragon?

Those are SPECIAL as they have an artificial 'breeding date'  to keep them from breeding true within the season they grew up in.

Otherwise it might be killing/releasing (does it have offspring?)

Or what Ruby just below me pointed out *headdesk*

Edited by herk

Or you may have bred the mate with another dragon within the past 7 days.

17 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

And ahhh, gotcha. Take wiki rarity with a grain of salt--it's really hard to pin anything but the commonest commons and rarest rares down as definite. 

Do we have any other widely accessible source of rarity? For example someone who tests (once a year should be sufficient) actual ratios and then compare it and share the results? Or some records of how many eggs of each breed appear in the biomes?

Personal observation and experience seems to be most precise, but you can compare only few of the breeds and the sample is small, so the outcome may be inaccurate.

Supposedly, rarity is userdriven. The only two true rares are Golds and Silvers, as I recall TJ saying somewhere. Additionally, certain alts, like alt Black, Dark Green, yellow Undine, red Dorsal and tan Ridgewing are less common than the other colour option.

Everything else (supposedly) can be attributed to user breeding behaviour and demand. If you declare something to be rare in a sufficiently convincing manner, watch users jump and offer insane trades for that same thing, turning it into a perceived rare for a while. If a new release features a breed with multiple colours, watch them disappear shortly after release as everyone runs and tries to get their scroll goals of all colours.

The only thing where current rarity really matters is trading, and there is a thread for "Question about a Trade" in Site Discussion.

For breeding outcomes, it's not so much rarity, it's ratios that matter. When a new breed is introduced, naturally, there are fewer individuals of that new breed than of a given old breed, so breeding will usually result in the new breed as the cave tries to even out ratios. Horse = old, Kingcrowne = new, so you'll get more Kingcrownes than Horses for a while. That's also why it's so difficult to get a Striped from new breeds to determine Striped outcome.

This. Also TJ does not have any intention of allowing us to determine ratios. And - well, take a frinstance - olives are the subject of a competition right now, so they aren't dirt common as they usually are. Which shows graphically the effect users can have.

And newer breeds always win out oerv older when trying to breed. Glares at blue-banded...

Also I rather suspect trying to work out the ratios could come under engineering of a type that TJ deems against the rules - not sure.

Apparently when you delete messages, you "leave the conversation". I literally cannot stand a messy inbox so I delete messages. I didn't know you left a convo when you deleted messages. I have had 3 people message me asking me why I left the conversation, with even one person accusing me of something along the lines of scamming them. All I did was delete the message thread and now I had to rush and explain that it wasn't my fault that it looked bad! D=

TL;DR - Any way to delete messages without "leaving a conversation" with someone? Or at least does anyone have a suggestion on how to make my inbox look 'cleaner'? :/

3 hours ago, Metal-n-Monster said:

Apparently when you delete messages, you "leave the conversation". I literally cannot stand a messy inbox so I delete messages. I didn't know you left a convo when you deleted messages. I have had 3 people message me asking me why I left the conversation, with even one person accusing me of something along the lines of scamming them. All I did was delete the message thread and now I had to rush and explain that it wasn't my fault that it looked bad! D=

TL;DR - Any way to delete messages without "leaving a conversation" with someone? Or at least does anyone have a suggestion on how to make my inbox look 'cleaner'? :/

Unfortunately no. The new PM system is pretty garbage. :/ At least TJ added in an alert that someone HAD left the conversation and a choice to re-add them... before that happened I deleted a few PMs requiring no current further action from myself and found out that I'd inadvertently left a few people desperately talking to themselves trying to get me to pick up eggs they had for me. e____e

Although there might be some hope for cleaning your inbox--if you don't need to do anything else with a PM or are waiting on a reply, create a new folder and stuff them in there so they're still open, but not spamming your main inbox.

20 hours ago, Metal-n-Monster said:

What you can do is remove THEM from the conversation and THEN delete it.

But as ADP says - the new message system is DIRE, and even if you do that, they may accuse you of scamming - because almost no-one can make sense of the way it is now.

One way to make it LOOK cleaner - if you are having issues with people complaining - is to set up a new folder called OLD or something, and put any you don't want to see in there.

I noticed that we have sections in our profiles that pertain to events. If we wanted to add our own events to the forum calendar (like the holidaykin breed events that I do), how would we go about doing so? 

I feel like a noob again... but.... I haven't visited for a while and noticed a crazy number of changes and now I can't edit my signature -_-

...I feel really dumb now, RIP.

2 minutes ago, Draconiusultamius said:

I feel like a noob again... but.... I haven't visited for a while and noticed a crazy number of changes and now I can't edit my signature -_-

...I feel really dumb now, RIP.

Don't feel dumb at all! The forums went through a complete upgrade to a newer system and everyone was left scratching their heads in its wake, haha.

To edit your signature, go to your name in the top left corner and pick the little drop down arrow, then account settings. There's an option to edit your signature there.

(Btw, did the xeno die? The code doesn't lead to anything D: )

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Don't feel dumb at all! The forums went through a complete upgrade to a newer system and everyone was left scratching their heads in its wake, haha.

To edit your signature, go to your name in the top left corner and pick the little drop down arrow, then account settings. There's an option to edit your signature there.

(Btw, did the xeno die? The code doesn't lead to anything D: )

Ah, ok.  Thanks!  I honestly don't remember what happened to the xenowyrm, but it either died or I placed it take an egg, leave an egg.  :mellow:

9 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I noticed that we have sections in our profiles that pertain to events. If we wanted to add our own events to the forum calendar (like the holidaykin breed events that I do), how would we go about doing so? 

AFAIK it's admin only. (But I don't see "events" anyway...:huh:)

4 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

AFAIK it's admin only. (But I don't see "events" anyway...:huh:)

I've attached a screen capture of it. It's under "see my activity."  I guess it doesn't really matter. I was mostly curious.

event.png

Oh right. I have NEVER clicked on activity ! Thanks.

Another 'has anyone seen that user' post, ehehe, but does anyone know if Angelspunishment has a forum name? I could've sworn they did but now I wonder if I was thinking of a different angel username...

Anddd while I'm here: does using fertility on a rare x common pair actively hurt your chances of getting a rare by more readily rolling for a common to produce an egg, or is the chance of a breeding and the outcome of a breeding two different things? (I... I feel it CAN'T be, because otherwise rare x rare would spit out shinies all the time, but I feel I've seen it stated before that it works that way...)

18 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Another 'has anyone seen that user' post, ehehe, but does anyone know if Angelspunishment has a forum name? I could've sworn they did but now I wonder if I was thinking of a different angel username...

Sent you a PM.

Has something changed when abandoning an egg or hatchling? I tried to abandon a miscolored hatchling but can't. I get this - " You try to leash the hatchling to a tree trunk outside a nearby cave, but it chews through the rope and begins to follow you." o.O

That's a possible outcome of abandoning hatchlings, it's been that way forever. Doesn't happen too often, though. I *think* if you get that message you need to wait awhile before attempting to abandon it again, or it will just give you that same message.