Jump to content
Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, silver_tiger said:

 

I'm not sure about endless, but I used to be able to go to my scroll link and refresh, and my growing dragons and eggs would get a new View for every refresh. I think that the UVs and Clicks would not increase past one, however. But the change so that we can't refresh our scroll links to give our own eggs views is new.

 

If this was done to try and thwart viewbombers, I am for it.

 

Well, well. So it's not just me. What do you mean with "viewbombers" though...? You are (were?) only able to give 15 views per unique view so... As you need both it doesn't really matter. Do you mean because of the servers?

 

Okay, with unique views I seem to be wrong indeed. But with the views I seem to be right: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Making_Dragons_Grow#Views

Share this post


Link to post

Well I'm not sure how viewbombers operate exactly, because I am not a viewbomber, but I thought that some of them might do it by autorefreshing a person's scroll. If the scrolls no longer refresh to give views and we only get views from the hatching sites, that would be one way to try and limit the damage viewbombers can do.

 

It's less about how many views were given and more about how fast the eggs get them too early in their hatching cycle.

 

Quote

Viewing your own scroll won't increase your egg's view count, but viewing the scrolls of others will increase the eggs' and dragons' view count. Going onto a dragon's view page will give one view, but refreshing the page won't give more views. Refreshing the scroll page however, will keep increasing the view count until it reaches its ratio limit

 

But getting back to this topic: I swear it used to be that I could refresh my own scroll, but ok fine I guess I can't now. However, I just went into Akasaki's scroll and tried to refresh the page like the quote says I can to give the dragons there views, and it didn't work. So I'm not sure what's happening but it's definitely not what that page says.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, silver_tiger said:

Well I'm not sure how viewbombers operate exactly, because I am not a viewbomber, but I thought that some of them might do it by autorefreshing a person's scroll. If the scrolls no longer refresh to give views and we only get views from the hatching sites, that would be one way to try and limit the damage viewbombers can do.

 

It's less about how many views were given and more about how fast the eggs get them too early in their hatching cycle.

 

 

But getting back to this topic: I swear it used to be that I could refresh my own scroll, but ok fine I guess I can't now. However, I just went into Akasaki's scroll and tried to refresh the page like the quote says I can to give the dragons there views, and it didn't work. So I'm not sure what's happening but it's definitely not what that page says.

 

Well -- my eggs and hatchlings can get too much views (early on) even through fansites though...? Or do you mean, there were individuals that refreshed the scrolls of others with changing IP-adresses...? In regards to the quote they could do that even now though.

 

And yeah: I could too. As I said: I always tried to get the ratio to 15/1/1 when starting with an egg. And I am not able to refresh other scrolls for views either. I tried with a few where I could find eggs/hatchlings. But: Nothing. Clicks worked (better than with my own eggs somehow...) but they did NOT get views from me. I even clicked on a link where there were eggs with 1/1/1... As I sure as HELL did not (yet) click on that egg though... It seems I did not give any views AT ALL?

 

EDIT: Yeah~ I was just looking for the "15" XD Sorry... Didn't register THAT. Should have read better ;P

Edited by Akasaki
forgot something

Share this post


Link to post

Have a question about dragon names. I'm playing for the first time since 2009, and back then, all of your dragon names would be deleted if you didn't log in for a certain amount of time. So my question is: Is this still a feature, and if so, what is that amount of time? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kaiiya said:

Have a question about dragon names. I'm playing for the first time since 2009, and back then, all of your dragon names would be deleted if you didn't log in for a certain amount of time. So my question is: Is this still a feature, and if so, what is that amount of time? 

 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post

can I make a one off Raffle thread and if yes, where do I make it

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, InugamiZERO said:

can I make a one off Raffle thread and if yes, where do I make it

 

 

Those currently belong in Games.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Kaiiya said:

Have a question about dragon names. I'm playing for the first time since 2009, and back then, all of your dragon names would be deleted if you didn't log in for a certain amount of time. So my question is: Is this still a feature, and if so, what is that amount of time? 

 The name of a critter on your scroll is unique and will stay forever even when you killed it. So be careful.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Tigerkralle said:

 The name of a critter on your scroll is unique and will stay forever even when you killed it. So be careful.

 

(It will stay forever unless you unname it by simply deleting the name and submitting the blank box - but if you kill your dragon, even to try zombifying it, you should unname the creature first in case the attempt is unsuccessful and you might want the name for another dragon, as Tigerkralle said.)

Share this post


Link to post

@Akasaki @silver_tiger @fuzzbucket

(Sorry for the slight tag spam.)

 

It's no longer possible to give/gain views just by looking at scrolls. Back in May, the image URL that's used for growing things on the scroll page was changed from one that accepts views to one that does not. (Now it's the same URL used on the "dragons" page.) Clicking on a growing thing from the scroll page for the first time should give 1/1/1, but that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, 11th said:

@Akasaki @silver_tiger @fuzzbucket

(Sorry for the slight tag spam.)

 

It's no longer possible to give/gain views just by looking at scrolls. Back in May, the image URL that's used for growing things on the scroll page was changed from one that accepts views to one that does not. (Now it's the same URL used on the "dragons" page.) Clicking on a growing thing from the scroll page for the first time should give 1/1/1, but that's it.

 

Oh~ Okay. Thanks :)

It's a pity though. Well, whatever. Do you know why? Maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Akasaki said:

 

Oh~ Okay. Thanks :)

It's a pity though. Well, whatever. Do you know why? Maybe?

I could speculate, but I don't know the exact reason. It was an unannounced change.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, 11th said:

I could speculate, but I don't know the exact reason. It was an unannounced change.

 

Oh... Well, maybe someone knows something. I would really like to konw why oO Servers maybe...? *shrugs*

Share this post


Link to post

Is there a reason why Paper Dragons turn into western zombies rather than lindwurm zombies, even though Paper Dragons are lindwurms?

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, songwithnosoul said:

Is there a reason why Paper Dragons turn into western zombies rather than lindwurm zombies, even though Paper Dragons are lindwurms?

 

Probably because they're unbreedables, so don't have a specific type defined to them (see the encyclopedia) and western is the "default". I think I may have reported this before, but I'll go double check.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

 

Those currently belong in Games.

alright, Thanx

 

and to anyone who wants to try and win a ND Hatchling

Enter Here

 

Share this post


Link to post

Someone mentioned this in Discord but Red Fins are classified as a lindwurm but not as an amphiptere? Is it because it's a sea-dwelling dragon? 

 

I know Blusangs are classified as lindwurn and skywings are classified as amphipteres. So O was just curious

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Someone mentioned this in Discord but Red Fins are classified as a lindwurm but not as an amphiptere? Is it because it's a sea-dwelling dragon? 

 

I know Blusangs are classified as lindwurn and skywings are classified as amphipteres. So O was just curious

 

FoxintheBox and olympe had some interesting insight last time this was asked: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/169995-tiny-little-questions/?page=353#comment-9490505

 

FoxintheBox said:

Lindwurms, also known as Linnorms, Lindworms, Linwurms, etc. are serpentine dragons with no hind legs, only forelegs. They may or may not have wings.

 

They have wings instead of forelegs ~ forelegs with wings or however is best to explain ~ You can see one foreleg finger which shows that is not just a wing like by amphipteres ~

 

olympe said:

Another point for them being lindwyrms (not amphipteres) is the fact that the hatchling has these forelimbs as soon as it hatches. They don't grow in when they mature, unlike most wings. I think the only exception are skywing hatchlings - or aren't they?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler
Fixing quote box embeds. Can't get end quotes to work correctly.

Share this post


Link to post

Is it still possible to delete posts? I have some older posts of mine that I would like to delete from on of my threads, but I can't find the option to do so. I checked the "How to use the new forum" thread but I didn't find anything. If it isn't posible for a user to delete their own posts, would it be possible to have this feature added? Having such a feature is a must for places like general discussion where one might want to remove something they posted or in places like DR where some topics don't get a lot of attention and end up full of bump posts.

Share this post


Link to post

You can only hide posts now. On the top right, click Options -> Hide.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, w5aw5 said:

Is it still possible to delete posts? I have some older posts of mine that I would like to delete from on of my threads, but I can't find the option to do so. I checked the "How to use the new forum" thread but I didn't find anything. If it isn't posible for a user to delete their own posts, would it be possible to have this feature added? Having such a feature is a must for places like general discussion where one might want to remove something they posted or in places like DR where some topics don't get a lot of attention and end up full of bump posts.

 

In addition to what Tabs said, hiding your post is essentially deleting it from everyone but mods.

 

You can see the reasoning for why you can't delete posts anymore here: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/179683-2017-07-02-forum-updates/?do=findComment&comment=9524655

 

TJ09 said:

No, probably not.

 

Deleting breaks conversations and makes moderating difficult. If someone gets warned for being rude, then deletes their post and goes to dispute the warn (which has happened a number of times), then the evidence is now gone. Hiding, from your perspective, is identical, except it leaves behind just enough breadcrumbs for the mods to do their job. Hidden posts can only be seen by mods (I don't believe you even see your own hidden posts), so the experience from your side is unchanged.

 

This has been happening with threads for years (i.e. threads aren't deleted, just hidden), but now the software allows doing the same for posts.

 

This is also helpful for the Trading section, where we have had users post trades multiple times in a day, but we couldn't do anything about it because we'd never have screenies on hand to check.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler
Still can't figure out how to get quote tags to actually end.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm getting the same error, except I get a black screen with no cave view 

Share this post


Link to post

@Akasaki @silver_tiger @11th

 

The issue where you're not able to get views for your creatures by viewing your scrolls is an accident that occurred due to some other fiddling/fixing up of the coding. TJ said it'll be fixed pretty soon!

 

Thank you so much to Akasaki for reporting. Anytime you notice little oddities like this, feel free to ask! I hadn't even noticed this issue, so of course couldn't report.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

@Akasaki @silver_tiger @11th

 

The issue where you're not able to get views for your creatures by viewing your scrolls is an accident that occurred due to some other fiddling/fixing up of the coding. TJ said it'll be fixed pretty soon!

 

Thank you so much to Akasaki for reporting. Anytime you notice little oddities like this, feel free to ask! I hadn't even noticed this issue, so of course couldn't report.

 

Oh, thanks, thanks! I just noticed, that I was able to give myself views again and came here :D That's so~ great. Thanks! Thanks to TJ for fixing too of course ;D

And I am SO glad that it was just an accident after all~ *going off to love my little eggies and hatchies a little*

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.