Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

You could try looking through How Do You Name Your Dragons: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165846 or Reason Behind Names: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=110862

Probably less helpful is How Do You Keep Track of Your Dragons: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=145429 or Dragon Naming Themes: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=118344 or How Do You Label Your Generations: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=134099

It does not appear as if there is a naming thread for naming based on lineage types, so if you would like to create one, you can.

Thank you smile.gif

I'll look through those threads for inspirations before deciding if a new thread is needed.

Ahhh...sorry I worded my question poorly.

I meant is there a way that some people use in the dragon's name to indicate lineage?

(like some adds the "CB" to the name)

Most of my dragons are even gens. For those I use small Roman numerals to indicated the generation -- i, ii, iii, iv, v, etc. For stairs I use s1, s2, s3, etc. For spirals I use p3, p4, p5, etc. And for the unevens and messies I use u with the number of the highest generation. For inbreds I usually add ib.

It isn't perfect, but it works for me and it is much less ugly and awkward than some systems I have seen people use.

Most of my dragons are even gens. For those I use small Roman numerals to indicated the generation -- i, ii, iii, iv, v, etc. For stairs I use s1, s2, s3, etc. For spirals I use p3, p4, p5, etc. And for the unevens and messies I use u with the number of the highest generation. For inbreds I usually add ib.

It isn't perfect, but it works for me and it is much less ugly and awkward than some systems I have seen people use.

And as one with several of hers in my lineages - they LOOK better than CB, 1G and so on.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/z4Q2c

http://dragcave.net/lineage/zmMJF

ahhhh

It does look less awkward.

That moment when you're regretting your renaming spree...

ahhhh

It does look less awkward.

That moment when you're regretting your renaming spree...

Be thankful we CAN rename; once upon a time, we couldn't! You were stuck with whatever you had chosen.

If I hover over any egg in the cave, I see the code in the bottom of my browser. If I put that code in a view link, I used to be able to see what dragon it was (say, to see if it was a tan ridge or a blue one).

Now I get "Dragon Not Found

You can’t seem to find the dragon you’re looking for."

Is it just me, or is it a change that I wasn't aware of?

If I hover over any egg in the cave, I see the code in the bottom of my browser. If I put that code in a view link, I used to be able to see what dragon it was (say, to see if it was a tan ridge or a blue one).

It was seemingly changed a few weeks ago. For now, using /lineage/ still works, but considering /view/ was disabled, that might have just been an oversight. TJ never did make an announcement/statement, though, and I don't believe any of us asked if it was intentional.

It's been that way for a while. Not sure when exactly.

You can still use the lineage view if that helps any.

Edit; ninja.gif'd

Edited by predatorfan4ever

It was seemingly changed a few weeks ago. For now, using /lineage/ still works, but considering /view/ was disabled, that might have just been an oversight. TJ never did make an announcement/statement, though, and I don't believe any of us asked if it was intentional.

Thank you Socky smile.gif

Has this happened to anybody else? or is it just lag?

I renamed one of my dragon and when I tabbed over to see if the name was available it showed up as an "x"...

but since my naming is unique and has my signature at the end I decided to try it anyways and it went through.

Has this happened to anybody else? or is it just lag?

I renamed one of my dragon and when I tabbed over to see if the name was available it showed up as an "x"...

but since my naming is unique and has my signature at the end I decided to try it anyways and it went through.

That happens to me all the time. I write in a name and I get the X, so I write in one a little different and get another X. So I start over again and the first name goes through. I don't know if it is a glitch or what but it has happened since I started on Dragon Cave.

That happens to me all the time. I write in a name and I get the X, so I write in one a little different and get another X. So I start over again and the first name goes through. I don't know if it is a glitch or what but it has happened since I started on Dragon Cave.

Okay thanks smile.gif

It doesn't happen all the time, but whenever it does...I'm always thrown off.

I browsed my action log some time back and checked out some eggs/hatchlings in the log. I noticed that dead caveborn dragons had no view page (which is fine by me) but dead bred dragons had a view page. O.o Here is an example. (I hope that it is fine that it is a view link. It is dead anyway.) Has it always been like this for bred eggs?

I suppose I don't mind that dead dragons remain on the database but my scroll name appears on the page even if the dragon is gone from my scroll. =( It just bothers me. (I killed that dragon because it did not alt and now I think it is going to haunt me for life for murdering it. rolleyes.gif )

Is there a set of rules regarding names? If there is, I can't seem to find it.

I'm asking because an egg I picked up, the parent's names are clearly talking about suicide and I'm wondering if that's against the naming rules.

I'm asking because an egg I picked up, the parent's names are clearly talking about suicide and I'm wondering if that's against the naming rules.

I'd suggest PMing a mod. There is a name check thread somewhere, but that is more for checking before you name your dragon.

I'd suggest PMing a mod. There is a name check thread somewhere, but that is more for checking before you name your dragon.

Thanks, I'll do that.

One other question: I've been stalking my dragon egg every second hoping it'll grow up... my Unique Views went DOWN for some reason. It was at 302, then all of a sudden it was at 299. What gives? blink.gif Has this ever happened to someone before? unsure.gif

I peeked at the dragon's parent that you're talking about.

It is a lyric from "The Hanging Tree" and the popular version is sang by Jennifer Lawrence.

It was a part of the Hunger Game trilogy.

I peeked at the dragon's parent that you're talking about.

It is a lyric from "The Hanging Tree" and the popular version is sang by Jennifer Lawrence.

It was a part of the Hunger Game trilogy.

I should have known that; I'm a big fan of The Hunger Games. Though if someone wasn't aware of the song or the series, they'd think the same thing I did...

I should have known that; I'm a big fan of The Hunger Games. Though if someone wasn't aware of the song or the series, they'd think the same thing I did...

Yup. I love the books and the movies too.

I thought the same thing you did too when I first saw the names.

When posting an image of a dragon egg in a post/signature/whatever here on the forums, from where on the web should the image come? Does it put too much strain on the DC servers to use an egg image directly from my scroll? Or should I upload the image on a 3rd party host like photobucket before putting it here?

When posting an image of a dragon egg in a post/signature/whatever here on the forums, from where on the web should the image come? Does it put too much strain on the DC servers to use an egg image directly from my scroll? Or should I upload the image on a 3rd party host like photobucket before putting it here?

The forum does not allow a direct link from your scroll. You will need to upload it to another site and use that link.

Does it put too much strain on the DC servers to use an egg image directly from my scroll?

In the general case, no; hotlinking to egg images is pretty much exactly how you're expected to play the game.

If a dragon has bred with another dragon successfully, is there still potential to get a refusal with the same two dragons in the future?

If a dragon has bred with another dragon successfully, is there still potential to get a refusal with the same two dragons in the future?

Only if one of them's a holiday and you're breeding out of season.

Nope, that should not happen. If it does, it's a glitch that needs fixing. If a holiday is not involved, rhat is.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon