Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

I'm also under the impression that having an egg hatching in teleport makes the magi go into cooldown? Someone confirm or correct for me?

True, so as Fuzz says, it is best to break the link yourself before it hatches and then redo it with the hatchie. That way you don't waste the BSA of your Magi.

Edited by purplehaze

Are Geodes considered hybrids by cave standards? I always thought they were considering they share the same mechanics with the majority of hybrids but I read elsewhere that they're actually considered a stand-alone/their own breed?

If they were their own breed/stand-alone, then we would be able to get them from the cave. As it is right now, we can only obtain them by breeding, or getting an Honorable Mention from a Raffle.

If they were their own breed/stand-alone, then we would be able to get them from the cave. As it is right now, we can only obtain them by breeding, or getting an Honorable Mention from a Raffle.

They can't be called hybrids; a hybrid is the result of mixing two breeds to get something else; geodes can be got from two dragons of the SAME breed as well as from two different breeds.

I guess the closest would be FREAKS ! or to be politer, miracles laugh.gif

I guess the closest would be FREAKS ! or to be politer, miracles laugh.gif

Hardly miracles! I can't get anything else when breeding PB Stones or Greens! More like pests at this point. laugh.gif

Hardly miracles! I can't get anything else when breeding PB Stones or Greens! More like pests at this point. laugh.gif

Either way - not hybrids, are they biggrin.gif

They seem to be something unique. But I still consider them a hybrid for lack of a better designation.

Edited by purplehaze

They seem to be something unique. But I still consider them a hybrid for lack of a better designation.

They are listed that way in the wiki. But still....

Yah, I don't think hybrids is the proper term. I think of them more as a subspecies of sorts, similar to colored stripes or alt blacks. You can only get them through breeding, but they aren't a mix of two different species, either.

Recessive genes, similar to albinos (not the dragon breed). Pebbles and Stones would have only 1 of the recessive geode gene, with a dominant version of the same gene that makes them Pebble or Stone, but their babies may have 2 of the recessive geode genes and no dominant pebble or stone version to counter that. Result: Geode baby.

Recessive genes, similar to albinos (not the dragon breed). Pebbles and Stones would have only 1 of the recessive geode gene, with a dominant version of the same gene that makes them Pebble or Stone, but their babies may have 2 of the recessive geode genes and no dominant pebble or stone version to counter that. Result: Geode baby.

This sounds valid from a general explanation standpoint, but just keep in mind that actual breeding doesn't behave this way.

That is, it's possible for a Stone dragon to have two copies of the dominant gene (if PB and they inherit the dominant gene from both parents), which would leave them unable to produce geodes, but this is not the case with the site.

Well, you're the official geneticist here xd.png From what we know, dragons could have 4 sets instead of 2 for each gene ...

Well, no matter how many sets of genes there were, it'd still be possible to have zero copies of the recessive gene unless the dominant gene is homozygous lethal.

Well, no matter how many sets of genes there were, it'd still be possible to have zero copies of the recessive gene unless the dominant gene is homozygous lethal.

This. Plus there is the way geodes breed (by now). If they needed to have two copies of a recessive gene to be geodes, they wouldn't be able to breed true with anything but other geodes, pebbles or stones.

Edited by olympe

Geodes, black and vine alts, as well as colored stripes all fall under the umbrella category "bred only" for me. They are not hybrids, they are just dragons that aren't found "naturally" in cave, because they have to be bred.

Geodes, black and vine alts, as well as colored stripes all fall under the umbrella category "bred only" for me. They are not hybrids, they are just dragons that aren't found "naturally" in cave, because they have to be bred.

This, exactly smile.gif

Plus yellow Undies. wink.gif (Apalogies for the bad pun.)

Although I have to admit that for me, hybrids/avatars fall into the same category. Come to think of it, so do older holiday breeds and prizes, actually.

Edited by olympe

Yah, I don't think hybrids is the proper term. I think of them more as a subspecies of sorts, similar to colored stripes or alt blacks. You can only get them through breeding, but they aren't a mix of two different species, either.

Blunas display some of the same specialness, as they can be bred from three dragons - though not pb. I think hybrids just have to be given some leeway, especially considering genetics don't really play into DC all that much (no chance of a "throwback" to a species behind the parents), mints can breed with terras, deep seas can breed with skywings, etc. =p

Question of last Second: Does anyone has problems entering in the AP? I wanted to take a dummy to try bite, but all I can see is a blank window!

Question of last Second: Does anyone has problems entering in the AP? I wanted to take a dummy to try bite, but all I can see is a blank window!

AP works fine for me

AP works fine for me

Guess it's me then. I'll never be able to get a male vampire. Even Ap is against me 😃

(no chance of a "throwback" to a species behind the parents)

Ultraviolets are said to be able to breed Spitfires. Haven't personally confirmed that, but it's on the wiki ^^

Ultraviolets are said to be able to breed Spitfires. Haven't personally confirmed that, but it's on the wiki ^^

That's true, but I was really referencing the fact that I couldn't breed a dragon like this to a non-white and expect the rare chance of breeding a white or some white/bbw hybrid just because there's a white in the dragon's lineage.

Point still standing that breeding mechanics on the cave are simplified for the sake of getting things to work. There's a reason behind the uv/spitfire thing (uv's are close enough to spitfires that they can also breed them as well) which probably won't exist in any non-hybrid dragon. =o

I forgot the Geode could come from a pair of Pebbles, sorry about that. Since that is the case, I will no longer think of them as hybrids.

Evening, dragon holders! Is it just me, or does our dragon encyclopaedia stop refreshing? I have several dragon breeds over 3 per species, but they are still grey.