Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

how come the "track private messages" in my settings gets set to NO every once in a while without me doing it.

It was on and worked fine this morning and now it was off again without me doing it.

(turned it on again but it is anoying if you want to keep track of pms being read)

You set it to always do this in your settings, right? Didn't just check it once when sending a PM?

It's a setting that is affected by cookies. If you clear your cookies or have your browser set to auto-clean, it'll delete that setting (and log you out). As well, if you login to a different device, you'll also need to change the settings on that device because it doesn't have the same cookies, thus the setting doesn't carry over.

I have a bit of an odd question. Which is wyvern-related, of course, since my wyverns clearly hate me (half of the time they refuse to mate, and the other half...this kind of thing happens). I am quite a fan of Carmine Wyverns, and enjoy breeding them with Tri-Horn Wyverns in particular. I also have a lineage that includes Carmines (see my banner in sig), so I myself have bred a fair few of them, as have people in the lineage. And it seems that whenever a Carmine is bred with ANYTHING, the baby is a carmine. Just check out this list of progeny: http://dragcave.net/progeny/evVsq Take your time and look at the children of the children of this pair, as well as their children. Everything is a Carmine. I don't think that any of these babies came from a Carmine X Carmine pair. A lot of these came from Carmine X Other commons, like Tris or Flamingos, so I'm a tad confused.

Is this just an issue of ratios? It's confusing to me because Carmines, a common, are being so prevalent even in pairings with other commons. Would this even out if more people bred Carmines?

I really want to do a Carmine X Tri-Horn checker, but it seems nearly impossible atm since all I can get are Carmines. I bred three Carmine X Tri pairs today...got three Carmines. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this?

Yes, if you try and breed any common "new release" dragons, it'll be very hard to get the older dragon, even if the older dragon is also a common.

On mobile right now, so I can't go searching, but one thread in suggestions that brought this up was closed, as TJ said breeding was working correctly. There is now a suggestion to change how breeding works so doing lineages with newer dragons isn't completely impossible.

Idk if this is a bug or not, but the Hellfire Wyvren' s egg description says:

"This egg radiates the heat of a fell flame."

I think it's supposed to say hell instead of fell.

Yes, if you try and breed any common "new release" dragons, it'll be very hard to get the older dragon, even if the older dragon is also a common.

On mobile right now, so I can't go searching, but one thread in suggestions that brought this up was closed, as TJ said breeding was working correctly. There is now a suggestion to change how breeding works so doing lineages with newer dragons isn't completely impossible.

Aah...thank you!

Will there ever be a point when Carmines are old enough to be usable? Or does any newer dragon > older dragon (if rarity is same)?

I'll go find that suggestion! It's something I would love to see worked on.

It doesn't seem to be just a matter of being a "newer" breed, as not all new breeds are so totally dominant. And Carmines are hardly new at this point. But there are some breeds that are very dominant. And certain pairings seem to nearly always produce the egg of only one of the breeds, even if both breeds are about the same grade of "newness". It can be extremely frustrating to checker breeders.

Will there ever be a point when Carmines are old enough to be usable? Or does any newer dragon > older dragon (if rarity is same)?

TJ has said the ratios ignore any dragon older than a year. So presumably, once Carmines are a year old, the newness of the release won't matter. However, it may still be difficult to breed one dragon or the other, depending on how far apart their ratios are.

So, hypothetically, if age isn't making it super difficult, could it be helped by breeding more Carmines and evening out the ratios?

Yes. This is actually the entire point of the Holly contest and other ultracommon breeding groups: by forcing a surplus of one breed, the ratios are forced to produce fewer of that breed as time goes on. The targeted breed essentially becomes a user-driven uncommon.

As well, if you login to a different device, you'll also need to change the settings on that device because it doesn't have the same cookies, thus the setting doesn't carry over.

I have my answer, thank you very much.

It's fell, as in fallen, iirc.

EDIT: Interesting, I learned what fell means!

Edited by Meg_752

I believe the description is correct.

From Merriam-Webster,

Simple Definition of fell

: very fierce or cruel

Full Definition of fell

1 a :  fierce, cruel, terrible

b :  sinister, malevolent <a fell purpose>

c :  very destructive :  deadly <a fell disease>

"fell" is Old English, meaning fiery, or vicious, also was used to define demonic or devilish.

So "fell flame" is quite appropriate and not a mistake.

It's also the root of 'felon'.

Have you tried the following?

- clear cache

- clear cookies and log in again

- run a malware check on your computer?

I was on a library computer and if I had tried any of that I would have lost my time and been unable to see if it had worked. Sadly they also have rules forbidding you to try and mess with the computer yourself and the last time I asked for assistance the lady helped, but I lost some of what I had been doing at the time. :/

I get this all the time. Chrome lets me autosave the password so I don't have to put it in but I still have to click on the box otherwise it disappears and I have to go back and enter it by hand.

I have Chrome on my computer as well. It's the only internet engine I use, but that's my laptop. The library computers all use explorer which doesn't and even if it did I try not to save things like that on public computers anyway.

After having no trouble on my laptop even without using the chrome auto save I think the problem was the keyboard itself that I was using. I was typing at my normal speed which is fairly fast, but it was processing the words very slowly on screen. That and laptop keyboards and Desktop keyboards are so different.

thanks for the input though guys. I appreciate it. happy.gif

When was the last time Tjs thudwed breeding list was open?

It's been a long time. The last 2g Thuwed I got was after he closed the breeding list, and that was from late July 2015. So the list has been closed for 7 months, give or take.

~Spam removed~

Post author can PM me if they need details.

Edited by yosofine

Someone murdered the 2G silver I lost (the one in my sig). Is there anything I can do or am I just out of luck that it's dead?

I'm at least consoled by the fact that this person has to live with the dead egg on their scroll for 2 weeks, but...is there nothing that can be done?

Why would someone kill a 2nd gen Silver? I don't understand, and it's breaking my heart. That egg was something special to me. It hurt seeing it on someone else's scroll, but seeing it dead almost makes me cry.

I'm not naming names because I don't want to get in trouble, but why would you do that, person who killed my egg? I'd just like to understand. Was it perhaps an EQ gone wrong? Or did you do it on purpose because of something I did?

Basically...why would someone kill a low-gen metallic that someone else was desperately looking for and rewarding for the return of? sad.gif

Looks like EQ to me. Time is wrong for a vampire, someone wanting a vamp would likely bite it as soon as they got it. Didn't die of sickness. Certainly wasn't an experiment. No reason to try force-hatching it via Kill, it was low enough time to hatch by itself with enough stats. I doubt it was a malicious kill or, again, it would have been done as soon as the egg was caught. Lowish stats + egg under 4d suggests a new player who isn't very familiar with the game - more veteran players would have had the egg hatched at 4d. New players often don't understand how EQ works until they try it and get a scrollful of shells. It's likely the person who had the egg is as devastated as you are.

As far as what you can do about it, absolutely nothing. It wasn't your egg anymore. Sorry.

Personal suggestion is let it go. Stuff happens. There will be more 2g silvers.

Someone murdered the 2G silver I lost (the one in my sig). Is there anything I can do or am I just out of luck that it's dead?

I'm at least consoled by the fact that this person has to live with the dead egg on their scroll for 2 weeks, but...is there nothing that can be done?

Why would someone kill a 2nd gen Silver? I don't understand, and it's breaking my heart. That egg was something special to me. It hurt seeing it on someone else's scroll, but seeing it dead almost makes me cry.

I'm not naming names because I don't want to get in trouble, but why would you do that, person who killed my egg? I'd just like to understand. Was it perhaps an EQ gone wrong? Or did you do it on purpose because of something I did?

Basically...why would someone kill a low-gen metallic that someone else was desperately looking for and rewarding for the return of? sad.gif

I'm so sorry to hear that! It was probably an earthquake gone wrong, but it doesn't make any sense to do such a thing to a 2 gen metal. It was such a gorgeous egg, but I really wish I could have found it. You would have gotten it back at no charge.

As for my question, what would be reasonable to ask for if I try trading a CB Tsunami Wyvern hatchling? I usually ask for offers, but I'm just curious as to what would be fair for such a thing.

Edited by prismatika

I'm not naming names because I don't want to get in trouble, but why would you do that, person who killed my egg?

Once an egg leaves your scroll, it is no longer yours. This person did not kill YOUR egg. They killed THEIR egg.

You need to accept the fact that you abandoned the egg for others to do as they wanted with it. I understand that it was accidental, but that was your own mistake. I am guessing it's one you'll be more careful of in the future if losing it bothers you so much! It was never a guarantee that you'd get the egg back. Getting it back would have been kind, but it was not necessary because the egg isn't yours. I am sorry you lost the egg, but you lost it the day you abandoned it. Not when it was killed.

Looks like EQ to me. Time is wrong for a vampire, someone wanting a vamp would likely bite it as soon as they got it. Didn't die of sickness. Certainly wasn't an experiment. No reason to try force-hatching it via Kill, it was low enough time to hatch by itself with enough stats. I doubt it was a malicious kill or, again, it would have been done as soon as the egg was caught. Lowish stats + egg under 4d suggests a new player who isn't very familiar with the game - more veteran players would have had the egg hatched at 4d. New players often don't understand how EQ works until they try it and get a scrollful of shells. It's likely the person who had the egg is as devastated as you are.

As far as what you can do about it, absolutely nothing. It wasn't your egg anymore. Sorry.

Personal suggestion is let it go. Stuff happens. There will be more 2g silvers.

I agree with this. Thank you. The person was probably very young and very inexperienced, and didn't know how to use the PM system or the forums, otherwise they could have asked what Earthquake does.

For future reference, Earthquake either hatches your eggs (RARELY) or kills them (MOST OF THE TIME). I will be happy to help anyone who needs help with wanting to hatch their eggs. I will even hatch their eggs for them if they don't understand that using Earthquake is not a good choice.

Until then, I'm going to let it go. It still saddens me that someone did that, but like you said, a very inexperienced person would never kill such a rare egg and the person probably doesn't know how DC works. I would have been happy to help, though. smile.gif

My tiny little question: This is technically related to the above. How likely IS Earthquake to work, and what might help it be more successful? If there's a thread about EQ, please link me there. I have never used EQ once, but seeing my egg killed via EQ and a person who hasn't played DC much has made me WANT to at least try it...so maybe fill my scroll with common eggs I don't care if they die, wait til they're almost cracking, then do it? I guess? Good EQ tips? huh.gif

My tiny little question: This is technically related to the above. How likely IS Earthquake to work, and what might help it be more successful?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I think I've heard that EQ has a higher chance of working when an egg has a big hole in it, and has all the stats necessary for hatching.

Edited by Deinosaur