Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Yep.

No teleporting egg/hatchie=teleporting byebye.

So I have to wait another 2 days, instead of the trade just cancelling.

Edited by dinogummi

So I have to wait another 2 days, instead of the trade just cancelling.

Yep. It's best to try and catch it before they grow up, so you can manually cancel the trade so as to not waste the teleport. :3

Yep. It's best to try and catch it before they grow up, so you can manually cancel the trade so as to not waste the teleport. :3

Aw that sucks :\

Not sure if others have reported this, but I'm having a bit of a problem with a supposed frozen hatchling. I froze a mature hatchling at around 12:30pm DC time, and it grew up…? I even checked my action log, and it confirms that I froze the hatchling, but now there's an adult on my scroll haha blink.gif

Edited by LumosSeeker148

Agreed. I know he did update the main post with the time, but it would've been nice to know there was the possibility of something like this happening.

I highly doubt TJ expected this or even the possibility of this. There was no notice and no downtime message.

Not sure if others have reported this, but I froze a mature hatchling at around 12:30pm DC time, and it grew up…? I even checked my action log, and it confirms that I froze the hatchling, but now there's an adult on my scroll haha blink.gif

More than likely the frozen hatchie was reverted to a growing hatchie via downtime/rollback, and proceeded to grow up afterward. Not sure why your action log would retain the freeze though.

More than likely the frozen hatchie was reverted to a growing hatchie via downtime/rollback, and proceeded to grow up afterward. Not sure why your action log would retain the freeze though.

The action logs apparently weren't affected by the glitch. Mine still shows me breeding the egg that I lost, even though the parents are now available to breed again. It also showed me what I had named my hatchies whose names were wiped out by the glitch (which made renaming them much easier!) So all the actions are still shown, even though they were wiped out.

It is probably safe to say whatever caused the downtime was unexpected. Sometimes when stuff unexpectedly happens there are issues with files being broken. I'll hazard a guess that older info might have been copied over to fix any problems, resulting in unnamed dragons, eggs and hatchlings going missing or unchanged action logs. This is at best an educated guess and not fact.

Users need to understand that sometimes things happen that are beyond the control of TJ and Staff and therefore need to show some patience and understanding.

I understand the situation is frustrating, particularly for trades, or AP catches that vanished, or work that was undone. This is a risk of the digital age. Believe me, most of everyone was affected.

Edited by Starscream

Users need to understand that sometimes things happen that are beyond the control of TJ and Staff and therefore need to show some patience and understanding.

I think most users do understand this.

However, if TJ had made a News post about being aware of this issue and whether or not he thinks any of it can be recovered (or added that info in a second post to the existing Downtime thread), there would definitly be less confusion and frustration around.

And if it's still very unclear and he doesn't have time to investigate but will do later, he could have posted that.

Doesn't take that long to type, and since he's apparently had time to close a bunch of topics as Duplicates without answering any of them, he should have written that post instead so people could be refered to it.

It's a bad idea to close all those threads so people have nowhere to report their glitches and vent their frustration on this topic instead of this thread, which is the wrong place.

This is bad information politics.

The action logs apparently weren't affected by the glitch. Mine still shows me breeding the egg that I lost, even though the parents are now available to breed again. It also showed me what I had named my hatchies whose names were wiped out by the glitch (which made renaming them much easier!) So all the actions are still shown, even though they were wiped out.

Yes indeed - this has helped me HUGELY in restoring what I had ! (And in reusing all those BSA dragons who were no longer on CD but the log showed them as used !)

But yes - if TJ had made a news post as soon as he had to roll back, a lot of the confusion in help could have been avoided...

Lastalda has a pretty big point.

Making a post explaining what's happened, or even something as simple as "Sorry, but we're having some problems. We're working on them as best we can.", would be appreciated a lot more than just constantly closing threads with the same message. And, to be honest, it's just plain polite.

I know it will be because he's busy trying to fix this, but the way you respond to even the slightest thing can have a huge impact on the way the players perceive the site.

The players who have been here a while or who, like me and most of the others on this page, are knowledgeable enough to be patient won't really be affected as much, since we know the lack of news is most likely down to TJ trying his best to repair the damage, but for newer players, seeing TJ just closing threads without really explaining and not even a news update, it gives a very different and negative impression.

I know coding is astronomically difficult and truly do appreciate all the work TJ and the staff put in to keep this place running, as many of us do. Right now, it's a waiting game, hoping the Staff can fix whatever this was, and then inform the players.

Does earthquake affect eggs and hatchies or just eggs? I been wanting to try it out for awhile now but I'm afraid of killing my hatchlings.

Does earthquake affect eggs and hatchies or just eggs? I been wanting to try it out for awhile now but I'm afraid of killing my hatchlings.

It only affects eggs (ALL eggs even if hidden!). Your hatchies are safe smile.gif

My question has to do with yesterday's problem with downtime. I don't know what happened because I ran out of time at the library yesterday and wasn't able to find out what was going on.

I had an egg and a hatchie on my scroll that I had gotten from a friend and after the downtime they were gone and two of my hatchies turned back into eggs. They've hatched again now I'm guessing because of time, but I still don't have the winter egg or the gaia hatchie on my scroll.

Edited by Syiren

My question has to do with yesterday's problem with downtime. I don't know what happened because I ran out of time at the library yesterday and wasn't able to find out what was going on.

I had an egg and a hatchie on my scroll that I had gotten from a friend and after the downtime they were gone and two of my hatchies turned back into eggs. They've hatched again now I'm guessing because of time, but I still don't have the winter egg or the gaia hatchie on my scroll.

Basically everything just got set back in time, so you're back to before you received those gifts from your friend. If you ask them, they should still have them and can send them back over. Although, if the egg was freshly bred, the entire breeding might have been undone--in which case they'll have to rebreed the pair (they'll be available again) and hope they produce another.

... unless your friend had acquired egg and/or hatchie from the AP within the rolled-back timeframe, in which case they went back to the AP (which is probably why it suddenly moved rather low-time yesterday) and were snatched by someone else ...

Basically everything just got set back in time, so you're back to before you received those gifts from your friend. If you ask them, they should still have them and can send them back over. Although, if the egg was freshly bred, the entire breeding might have been undone--in which case they'll have to rebreed the pair (they'll be available again) and hope they produce another.

That bites. I also just found out from another friend that the egg I gave him not only vanished from his scroll, but my dragons seemed to have never bred it. I tried again and they gave me nothing. sad.gif I don't know much about computer codes and programing and whatnot, but it makes me wonder how stuff like this can happen?

Thanks for the info though. At least don't have to go in a panic wondering where everything went.

That bites. I also just found out from another friend that the egg I gave him not only vanished from his scroll, but my dragons seemed to have never bred it. I tried again and they gave me nothing. sad.gif I don't know much about computer codes and programing and whatnot, but it makes me wonder how stuff like this can happen?

Thanks for the info though. At least don't have to go in a panic wondering where everything went.

I don't know much about coding either, but I believe there was a fairly major error within the game (some unintended result of the earlier, planned downtime, perhaps?) and the only way to get the game back up and running properly again was to reset back to a time when everything was working. Kind of like starting a computer up in safe mode if you accidentally install a nasty program.

At any rate, I'm sorry for your losses sad.gif

Based on the various reports I'd say, data was lost.

Looks like data on all bred eggs and naming things was lost.

Most movements between scrolls and AP pickups seems to have been lost, too.

Stat gains were lost (and thus, hatching progress).

A few eggs picked from the cave seem to have gone lost, too, but not all of them.

Action log was *not* lost so it helps with reconstruction of breedings (and I was able to remedy a refusal by picking a new partner on the 2nd attempt xd.png)

I got the impression that this was not an outtime that TJ was informed about, so I guess we won't get details either.

I don't know much about coding either, but I believe there was a fairly major error within the game (some unintended result of the earlier, planned downtime, perhaps?) and the only way to get the game back up and running properly again was to reset back to a time when everything was working. Kind of like starting a computer up in safe mode if you accidentally install a nasty program.

At any rate, I'm sorry for your losses sad.gif

that makes sense. And thanks. I was able to breed another dragon for my friend from a different pair, so it's not a total loss.

Apologies if it was said and I missed it but is anything going to be done about lost eggs/hatchlings?

Looking at my action history and comparing it to the dragons I had used for the Influence BSA - it seems I was 'credited' this action back (that meaning all the dragons I used Influence from can use it again). But the eggs themselves are now hatchlings on other scrolls.

It's not a big loss for me (they were all just AP catches I was using for working on the encyclopedia) - but I did like the codes of a few of them had (not enough to where I'm going to ask for their return) - and I do like the fact that I regained the power to influence more is a comfort (nothing lost there) - so I guess I'm more curious than anything.

Edited by ShorahNagi

I don't think anything can be done about it. For the cave, some things just "never happened".

It would be nice if an announcement had been made in the news forum that we'd lost some data and that there was nothing that could be done.

Something along the lines of, "Unfortunately, some data was lost during the downtime and all cave actions, including catching and breeding eggs, have been rolled back to XXZZ cave time. We apologize for the inconvenience and for the fact that we cannot credit these losses."

Alternatively, if TJ's actively working on a fix (which would be wonderful), something like "Currently working on a fix for the downtime's glitch that led to all cave actions being rolled back to XXZZ cave time. Apologies for the inconvenience."

I don't play very much anymore, but things like this make me feel even less like making an effort to come back (not the loss of data, that's an understandable glitch that just flat-out happens, but the total lack of communication with the players about it. Come on, TJ, you're better than this).

ETA: Looks like multiple people are saying the same thing. Sorry for not reading further back first.

Edited by LibbyLishly

It would be nice if an announcement had been made in the news forum that we'd lost some data and that there was nothing that could be done.

Something along the lines of, "Unfortunately, some data was lost during the downtime and all cave actions, including catching and breeding eggs, have been rolled back to XXZZ cave time. We apologize for the inconvenience and for the fact that we cannot credit these losses."

Alternatively, if TJ's actively working on a fix (which would be wonderful), something like "Currently working on a fix for the downtime's glitch that led to all cave actions being rolled back to XXZZ cave time. Apologies for the inconvenience."

I don't play very much anymore, but things like this make me feel even less like making an effort to come back (not the loss of data, that's an understandable glitch that just flat-out happens, but the total lack of communication with the players about it. Come on, TJ, you're better than this).

ETA: Looks like multiple people are saying the same thing. Sorry for not reading further back first.

They are - and LOADS of new threads keep popping up - it would be great if something could be put in News for us all to point to - or even a message on scrolls, in that NEWS bit...