Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Is the name check script working for everybody else? (The thing that shows an X or checkmark while typing a name.)

The last time it stopped working for me, I had to unblock scripts from cloudflare (I think), but this time that doesn't even appear in NoScript's list of domains for the dragon naming page. The only domains it's blocking on that page are facebook.net and google-analytics.com.

dragcave.net and dcave.net are whitelisted as always.

I cleared the cache and deleted cookies, even temporarily disabled NoScript completely, but I still can't get it to work, so I'm starting to wonder if it's really just me. (It doesn't work on my other computer either, but I use Firefox and NoScript on both, so it could still be a browser / script blocker problem.)

7 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Is the name check script working for everybody else? (The thing that shows an X or checkmark while typing a name.)

Works for me:

image.png.1f75a7de79d1458b7c2854a0b92c6c3f.png

So I'm confident it's not a noscript problem. Adblock says it doesn't block anything for me on that site (I use the ad removal subscription though).

Thank you @Ruby Eyes - so it's probably really just me. And I have no idea what to try next. (Well, maybe find out how to install a different browser. The only other one I have at hand is Safari on my iPad, and that goes to the mobile site. Which doesn't do the name checking thing, either, but maybe it never did.)

I also tried all the DC skins, no change. And a Firefox profile that doesn't have any add-ons. And restarted Firefox.

Next phase: waiting if the problem fixes itself, because it also appeared by itself! (Is what the user always says, I know. :lol:)

@Confused Cat Check if you can reach s.dcave.net which is where the checking is located? It should give you a 403 (forbidden because you're not supposed to see the index there), but maybe you get something else? (Thinking of a routing issue which is usually nothing that can be fixed by server nor user.)

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It should give you a 403

It does.

Well, at least it's only a minor inconvenience. I can still name dragons, I just don't know if the name will work before I actually submit the form. So for now I'm fine with just waiting.

(Oh, maybe it's that moon thing that happened last night.)

It said down for maintenance for a couple of minutes, then came back up.

I've been looking for CB harvests in Alpine for days, thought i was just on a run of bad luck. But now I see a thread talking about a glitch? Or maybe an update? TJ immediately closed the thread after he responded so I'm not sure how to ask for clarification.

I just grabbed a harvest from Alpine like approx 5 min ago, so I'm guessing he means that it's fixed!

Edited by HonehSweetehPie
Can't type!

7 hours ago, ElpuntThing said:

I've been looking for CB harvests in Alpine for days, thought i was just on a run of bad luck. But now I see a thread talking about a glitch? Or maybe an update? TJ immediately closed the thread after he responded so I'm not sure how to ask for clarification.

He said right there when he answered and closed the thread that he was fixing it.

I've been having intermittent connection issues for the last few hours. It's only the cave and forums, no other websites, and it also seems to JUST be me. I'm reasonably sure it's a browser thing, because it works fine on my phone, but I'd like to see if anyone has a guess as to the cause and how to fix it.

This is the most common error I get:

9uj8KZW.png

Try manually deleting all your dc cookies (not doing it by just deleting history etc - hunt them down and murder them PERSONALLY !) If you have a corrupt cookie, that might help.

I've been away for a couple of years--have there been new releases monthly-ish for a while? and if so, approximately when in the month do they get released, or is it too random to tell?

7 minutes ago, elynne said:

I've been away for a couple of years--have there been new releases monthly-ish for a while? and if so, approximately when in the month do they get released, or is it too random to tell?

If you look through the announcements in the news thread you can see what has happened recently. Generally there is a release on the last weekend of the month, most months of the year. It may vary slightly in timing. We do not usually get monthly releases for October (Halloween) through February, because of the holiday releases.

I just bit and failed. I now have 6 eggs and the dead one. I looked at my scroll total and it said 23 growing things - so I went for another egg - and wasn't allowed to pick it up. Fair enough - my limits page shows 24. But I swear the number shown on my scroll also used to include dead things on CD, in effect telling me when I'm at the limit - am I imagining it ? And anyway, could it please DO that ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I just bit and failed. I now have 6 eggs and the dead one. I looked at my scroll total and it said 23 growing things - so I went for another egg - and wasn't allowed to pick it up. Fair enough - my limits page shows 24. But I swear the number shown on my scroll also used to include dead things on CD, in effect telling me when I'm at the limit - am I imagining it ? And anyway, could it please DO that ?

I think it's supposed to show dead things too, yes. If you have 4 living eggs and one dead egg it should say 5/X. Then after 24 hrs it turns to 4/X. I think it always worked that way? So if it doesn't anymore... bug?

The limits page shows correctly. But at the the top of scroll it doesn't. I'm sure I never had to check the LIMITS page in the past.

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about the top of your scroll. I never use that part, so I can't confirm if it used to work differently.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But I swear the number shown on my scroll also used to include dead things on CD

Nope. It's not growing, after all. The Limits page doesn't talk about "growing" things (in the table, that is), so maybe that's why it's allowed to include dead things in your status XD

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Hey, so I have a little question regarding reporting on the trading hub. Right now when you're going to report, there's a message that says that you should just report someone whose 'wants' doesn't help clarify what they want (I guess this is where all the direct communication and such would enter, that's another debate). But can't you report a trade where the trader is listing something false on their 'haves'? I saw a trade yesterday where someone was saying they had a CB gold and wanted xx on exchange... and it wasn't a CB gold at all. It was rather messy.

Granted, if you offer on a trade it's up to you to make sure they are offering what they say, but newbies won't know about dishonest people, or sometimes you're in a hurry and don't look. These kinds of misleading and false statements are hust disgusting to me, and honestly I was going to report the trade. But when I clicked on the report button, it said I should just report if the 'wants' are against the rules.

Is it okay to report when someone is lying though?

5 hours ago, relaks said:

Hey, so I have a little question regarding reporting on the trading hub. Right now when you're going to report, there's a message that says that you should just report someone whose 'wants' doesn't help clarify what they want (I guess this is where all the direct communication and such would enter, that's another debate). But can't you report a trade where the trader is listing something false on their 'haves'? I saw a trade yesterday where someone was saying they had a CB gold and wanted xx on exchange... and it wasn't a CB gold at all. It was rather messy.

Granted, if you offer on a trade it's up to you to make sure they are offering what they say, but newbies won't know about dishonest people, or sometimes you're in a hurry and don't look. These kinds of misleading and false statements are hust disgusting to me, and honestly I was going to report the trade. But when I clicked on the report button, it said I should just report if the 'wants' are against the rules.

Is it okay to report when someone is lying though?

you can report anything you want, though I don't know if they would do anything about that case.  The person could be lying.  they could not actually know what CB means, or maybe they had more than one and accidentally put the wrong one up.  You don't know, that's why the lineage link is there.  So you can look at the item and decide if you want it or not.  If you don't feel that it is "as described" then don't offer on it.

47 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

.  If you don't feel that it is "as described" then don't offer on it.

This. It's like "buyer beware" when you buy a used car :) The owner may really not know the battery is on its last legs...