Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Regarding "rares": the DC Wiki classifies Golden Wyverns as rare, and they are allowed in the rare trading thread. Zyumorphs, meanwhile, are not. When did Golden Wyverns become rare? I don't remember them being rare a few years ago and I have a ton of them. And are Zyus just commanding high trading prices right now (much higher than so-called rares) just because they're still relatively new and there's an incentive to collect a lot of them?

Edited by LibbyLishly
A word.

I don't personally see Golden Wyverns as rare either, but remember that the DC Wiki is unofficial and the rarity is posted there by regular users, so there may be biases there. I do think that Zyus are more rare right now simply because they are so new, plus there are so many variations so it's a bit harder to get them all in general, *and* they can Summon a Sino, which will of course make them even more wanted.

57 minutes ago, AbelsAmazingDragons said:

How do I post images of eggs and hatchlings in the trading threads without having a link attached to them?

Use the image codes in this thread:

25 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I don't personally see Golden Wyverns as rare either, but remember that the DC Wiki is unofficial and the rarity is posted there by regular users, so there may be biases there. I do think that Zyus are more rare right now simply because they are so new, plus there are so many variations so it's a bit harder to get them all in general, *and* they can Summon a Sino, which will of course make them even more wanted.

I guess I always assumed that the Wiki and Rare thread runners had some sort of specialized insider knowledge. XD Thanks though, that was bugging me.

Which rare trading thread were you referring to? I checked the Rare Trading Bazaar and Golden Wyverns aren't on the allowed list. Zyumorphs aren't displayed either but I think the list in the thread hasn't been updated since their release.

I can't explain why the DC Wiki still considers them to be rare though. XD

That's odd, I could have sworn I saw them there a couple days ago. Guess I was mistaken. 

Tiny question and I feel so silly asking this considering I have been on this site since 2009. You would think I would remember by now but I am currently on medication for my migraines that causes memory loss and I just got my tonsils removed two days ago and the pain meds are making the memory problems worse. But my question is, when does the Holiday Breeding Season for Christmas dragons begin? I have it in my head that it's the 19th but that could be because I have a post-op appointment then haha. I have an IOU and I want to make sure I do not miss the breeding period while I am recovering from my surgery. Also, getting your Tonsils out as an Adult is rough. Thank you for answering my question!

@IVIandyYou are right. It should begin on the 19th and go through Christmas Day -- exactly one week.

Hope you feel better soon!

26 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

@IVIandyYou are right. It should begin on the 19th and go through Christmas Day -- exactly one week.

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh thank you very much! IOU's are very important to me especially since this IOU was for my first CB Silver and CB Gold so I was stressing about making sure I don't sleep too long while recovering. And thank you! It's been a rough day but Ice Cream really does help. I hope you have a wonderful night!

14 hours ago, olympe said:

Maybe you should try a different biome (if you're cave hunting, that is). ;)

Well, yeah! I do hunt for them in coast! But I very rarely see them, and I do see the others. And when breeding xenos together, if a thalassa is involved I usually seem to get the other!

Question about fertility and holiday breeding.

I know holidays will not refuse during their breeding season, so fertility is not necessary for that particular breeding to produce egg(s). My question is about the revamped fertility. If fertility is used before a pair breeds for the first time, their chances of refusing are lessened (in fact, I have gotten zero refusals at all since the fertility revamp, when using fertility before first breeding). But what if a pair is bred for the first time during the holiday? Should I be using fertility to ensure they will still be compatible out of season, since this is their first ever breeding? Or does it not count since refusal is not possible during the holiday, and I can use fertility to ensure compatibility after the holiday instead, as that will be their first out-of-season breeding? I just don't want to neglect using fertility during the holiday, if doing so may result in a refusal during their first out of season breeding.

Edited by Tecca

28 minutes ago, Tecca said:

I know holidays will not refuse during their breeding season, so fertility is not necessary for that particular breeding to produce egg(s). My question is about the revamped fertility. If fertility is used before a pair breeds for the first time, their chances of refusing are lessened (in fact, I have gotten zero refusals at all since the fertility revamp, when using fertility before first breeding). But what if a pair is bred for the first time during the holiday? Should I be using fertility to ensure they will still be compatible out of season, since this is their first ever breeding? Or does it not count since refusal is not possible during the holiday, and I can use fertility to ensure compatibility after the holiday instead, as that will be their first out-of-season breeding? I just don't want to neglect using fertility during the holiday, if doing so will result in a refusal during their first out of season breeding.

That's an interesting question.

I'd say, definitely use it after the holiday. Use it during the holiday too, if you're worried, but I'm guessing if you're asking then you don't have many Fertilities to spare. I don't think anybody besides TJ can say for sure if the refusal chance is calculated during the holiday rather than after, but I do know that I've heard of several people getting refusals because they didn't think to use Fertility out-of-season and none who did use Fertility and got a refusal anyway. (It could still happen, of course. But it should be really rare, and if it were happening more often than it should I'd think people would be surprised and talking about it.) And I can say that I've personally done that a number of times this past year - used Fertility on pairs that were previously only bred during holidays (without Fertility or pre-revamp) while breeding them for the first time out-of-holiday. No refusals. It was as successful a batch of breedings as I could expect when using Fertility. The evidence, anecdotal though it is, seems to support the idea that the holiday breedings don't count at all when it comes to calculating chances of refusal.

Normally I'd assume it doesn't matter but I had a Holiday x Common pair breed for the first time during Halloween (no fertility) who then refused each other afterwards (with fertility). I thought it was just a fertility fail (my first ever!) but I never considered if holiday mating could count as the pairs 'very first breeding' and - even though they produced eggs - had their compatibility calculated and set to refuse in the future. Although if that was the case, I think it would be more common as I used to get refusals on a regular basis and that was my first since the revamp. If the pair is important, I might fertilize them during the holiday just to be safe. Probably only TJ knows how it all works for sure.

If it were an important pair, I'd use fertility before the first breed no matter what.

So if you need a Christmas dragon from a specific lineage where would you post to arrange a trade?

7 hours ago, Terces said:

Normally I'd assume it doesn't matter but I had a Holiday x Common pair breed for the first time during Halloween (no fertility) who then refused each other afterwards (with fertility). I thought it was just a fertility fail (my first ever!) but I never considered if holiday mating could count as the pairs 'very first breeding' and - even though they produced eggs - had their compatibility calculated and set to refuse in the future. Although if that was the case, I think it would be more common as I used to get refusals on a regular basis and that was my first since the revamp. If the pair is important, I might fertilize them during the holiday just to be safe. Probably only TJ knows how it all works for sure.

This happened to me too during the Valentine event. I bred an almandine x rosebud pair for the first time in season, no fertility since refusals were turned off. Then I bred them out of season, with fertility, and they refused. This is the only time I have got a refusal with fertility so far. Maybe it was just bad luck and fertility fail, but I wondered if the game perhaps did a compatibility check in season and set them to refuse. When I introduced new pairs during Halloween, I thought better safe than sorry and used fertility twice - first time when I bred them in season, and then I used it again when I bred them out of season for the first time. No refusals then.

13 hours ago, Tecca said:

I know holidays will not refuse during their breeding season, so fertility is not necessary for that particular breeding to produce egg(s). My question is about the revamped fertility. If fertility is used before a pair breeds for the first time, their chances of refusing are lessened (in fact, I have gotten zero refusals at all since the fertility revamp, when using fertility before first breeding). But what if a pair is bred for the first time during the holiday? Should I be using fertility to ensure they will still be compatible out of season, since this is their first ever breeding? Or does it not count since refusal is not possible during the holiday, and I can use fertility to ensure compatibility after the holiday instead, as that will be their first out-of-season breeding? I just don't want to neglect using fertility during the holiday, if doing so may result in a refusal during their first out of season breeding.

If you are breeding your first pair during holiday season, you don't need to use fertility because the dragons will be frisky no matter what. Instead, use your fertility on the same pair once the holidays are over. That way you can be sure to not waste a fertility and then you can be sure of whether the pairing is compatible out of season. I think fertility is cancelled out when holiday breeding is happening. 

7 hours ago, Chaos Rider said:

So if you need a Christmas dragon from a specific lineage where would you post to arrange a trade?

I'd recommend this thread.

Edit: Also stopped by to confirm that everything Jazeki said about Fertility is indeed the case.

Edited by Miral

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

If you are breeding your first pair during holiday season, you don't need to use fertility because the dragons will be frisky no matter what. Instead, use your fertility on the same pair once the holidays are over. That way you can be sure to not waste a fertility and then you can be sure of whether the pairing is compatible out of season. I think fertility is cancelled out when holiday breeding is happening. 

I'd rather "waste" a fertility and know in advance. I've just been planning my magi lines and used fertility on a holiday proven pair. You guessed it. Luckily I can use them to get the magi instead,and the other possible pair did it right, bless them.

43 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

I'd rather "waste" a fertility and know in advance. I've just been planning my magi lines and used fertility on a holiday proven pair. You guessed it. Luckily I can use them to get the magi instead,and the other possible pair did it right, bless them.

All holiday pairs are proven inside the special window, because it's impossible for a holiday to refuse its intended mate during that holiday's breeding week. I'm assuming you meant you'd rather use Fertility on a pair before the holiday season begins, because using it during a breeding week wouldn't tell you anything about the pair's compatibility otherwise. Your phrasing slightly confused me, given that Jazeki was referring to a wasted Fertility as one used unnecessarily during a week in which all refusals for select limited edition dragons are turned off anyway.

Edited by Miral

The miscommunication in this thread is a good example of people not listening.

Two accounts were given of people breeding a pair for the first time during the holiday, without fertility.

The second time they went to breed the pair, after the holiday, even with fertility, they refused. 

The idea is that though you don't need fertility to produce eggs on the holiday, you may very well need to do it to prevent a future refusal if it's the first time you've ever bred the pair.

Hello! I've been away from DC for 4 years now, so bear with me. Can..can we now have more than 2 Christmas/Valentine dragons of each breed, just only 2 caveborns????

5 minutes ago, Nureyev said:

Hello! I've been away from DC for 4 years now, so bear with me. Can..can we now have more than 2 Christmas/Valentine dragons of each breed, just only 2 caveborns????

Yes! We can collect unlimited bred holiday dragons. During Halloween this year a new biome opened up for the first time to allow collection of past CB Halloween breeds, so we're all waiting to see what happens for Christmas!

Edited by LibbyLishly
Clarification