zaverxi

List of last breeding attempts by dragon

The suggestion I'm making is due to the fact that I keep breeding two dragons together because I forgot they keep having 'no interest'.

My idea for this is simple: Have a miniature action log on each dragon that 'captures' the message generated when you try and breed it, and show the mate(s) in question. Perhaps... the last 5 or 10 attempts?

I have thousands of dragons, which translates into billions of combinations. Getting a 'no interest' for a pair I really want an egg from, but forgetting which ones, is annoying because I keep breeding them week after week when it's most certainly possible to find a different mate that WOULD give a better result.

It's nothing game changing, just a quick reference to whether you consistently get no interest, no egg, refusal, or successful breeding. The breeding bit you can get a good idea by the progeny list, and refusals are very obvious, but the 'no interest' and 'no egg' are pretty much invisible and yet still has an effect on gameplay. These days, having 'no interest' is possibly even worse than a refusal, because you keep trying and trying with the hope that someday maybe, just maybe, you'll get a baby.

This would be more useful for those who build lineages with commons, because everyone knows trying to breed rares would give fails more often than not.

Just an idea.

Have you tried using purples BSA before breeding? That may help you to avoid the no interest.

In any case, I think what you are proposing is kind of difficult, because of the big amount of data it would require, just imagine 1 dragon that has tried breeding with 10 other dragons multiple times, and now imagine the same for those other 10 dragons and the other mates of those dragons... Thats a lot of information, and also that information will get bigger in little time, specially if you breed a lot of dragons weekly or even daily; then you would have to add the thousand of users that this site has. Of course, I actually know very little about this kind of stuff, but I heard that information takes memory space, and that memory space is very important and limited.

Edit: made an unnecessary quoting.

Edited by pederino

I'd be okay with this, but I think the simplest solution would be to keep notes on breeding outcomes in the notepad section under "My Controls" or in your profile when you're on the forums or somewhere else on your computer or on other electronic devices or physically write it down. I do a combination of notes in my profile and on the computer for the most part and that's been working out just fine.

Edited by Jazeki

I have nothing against this. I do not breed often enough that this would be useful to me, though. There've been a few couples that I really wanted to breed babies from, so they were easy enough to keep track of and know I should use fertility on/switch partners on.

I think it'd be neat to have for convenience, but not something that we need adding/right now. ;/ I'm up for it though ~

I breed only to gift so this wouldn't be very useful for me. On top of that, just today, two dragons (not holidays) that produced an egg less than two months ago decided that they had 'no interest' so I'm not sure how things work. But, I've nothing against the suggestion.

What about a notes section on the dragons page that only the owner could see? You could write the breeding results there, or breed to X dragon next time. Or anything else you'd find helpful.

No interest just means they didn't feel like it this time. It doesn't really affect the following interactions. Though, some dragons are rather picky. Keeping a breeding chart would possibly be easier (and faster) because even if this was implemented at some future date, there would be no data until you had bred them again. Because the site currently doesn't record that. Every time something has been added to record info that wasn't before, everyone started with a blank slate.

So, I have nothing against this, but doing it myself means I have all the info I want and it is custom made for my needs.

Until I'm proven wrong, I believe no interest simply means that the breed combo has a bad chance of producing eggs rather than the individual dragons not being compatible, and as such switching mates will only "improve" the odds by getting randomly lucky then (or activating the "dragons that haven't bred in a while are more likely to produce" thing), in which case this doesn't do much good. As a case in point, I've had several dragons that gave a lot of no interests with each other before totally changing course and giving me eggs for several weeks straight.

A more recent example: http://dragcave.net/progeny/ekDEZ

After that first egg in February, she didn't produce another until May, a whole two months later, and gave me a lot of no interest messages. But as you can see, something changed (and it wasn't the dragons, of course!) and I've now gotten two eggs a month each in May, June, and July. My conclusion? Ratios, not certain dragons being butts.

Now, what it might be useful for (and I originally thought the point was) is so you could double check if a refusal happened or not. Sometimes the breeding outcome page is accidentally skipped, or you're so rushed you're not sure you read the message correctly, and in the case of really important pairings I wish we could double check without having to wait a week. This might more simply be done by adding a refusal note to the breeding notes in the action log, though.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Until I'm proven wrong, I believe no interest simply means that the breed combo has a bad chance of producing eggs rather than the individual dragons not being compatible, and as such switching mates will only "improve" the odds by getting randomly lucky then (or activating the "dragons that haven't bred in a while are more likely to produce" thing), in which case this doesn't do much good.

*snip*

I think there's a recent post somewhere by TJ (or maybe it was in the IRC?) to the effect that some dragon pairs will give "no interest" more than others of the same species because they are less compatible. I can't seem to find the post though, I was pretty sure it was a post....

Cheers!

C4.

I think there's a recent post somewhere by TJ (or maybe it was in the IRC?) to the effect that some dragon pairs will give "no interest" more than others of the same species because they are less compatible. I can't seem to find the post though, I was pretty sure it was a post....

Cheers!

C4.

Well, there is this in the on-site help section:

“The dragons don’t really show much interest in each other.”—The dragons are compatible, but are not a very good pairing. Note that there is a “spectrum” of compatibility; most pairings will occasionally show no interest, but it might occur more frequently for some pairs than others.

But it's very vague, since "pairing" might be referring to "breed pairing" instead of "individual pairing." It would also sum up why things like Copper x Prize breed like crazy while things like Prize x Metallic, which by all rights should breed more prizes than Copper lines do, actually breed less. That also explains why it says most pairings will sometimes have the result.

Again, I could be wrong (although I HOPE not--imagine getting a perfect mate and finding out that, oh, it didn't refuse, but it's not very 'compatible...' -___-U), but I've seen cases where no interests go on to be steady breeders and other cases where pairing one dragon with many others produced a lot more no interests than I think random chance would account for. I have a prize x silver pair who I've bred to three different silvers, all of which are prone to "no interests"; while it's possible I was just very unlucky, it seems far more likely that the breed combo (prize x silver) is just not the easiest to work with. That'd also explain why you don't often see no interest results from common x common pairs.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Well, there is this in the on-site help section:

But it's very vague, since "pairing" might be referring to "breed pairing" instead of "individual pairing." It would also sum up why things like Copper x Prize breed like crazy while things like Prize x Metallic, which by all rights should breed more prizes than Copper lines do, actually breed less. That also explains why it says most pairings will sometimes have the result.

Again, I could be wrong (although I HOPE not--imagine getting a perfect mate and finding out that, oh, it didn't refuse, but it's not very 'compatible...' -___-U), but I've seen cases where no interests go on to be steady breeders and other cases where pairing one dragon with many others produced a lot more no interests than I think random chance would account for. I have a prize x silver pair who I've bred to three different silvers, all of which are prone to "no interests"; while it's possible I was just very unlucky, it seems far more likely that the breed combo (prize x silver) is just not the easiest to work with. That'd also explain why you don't often see no interest results from common x common pairs.

I think we might be looking at both. And yes, I think that's the reference I saw. xd.png

For instance, I've been breeding all 8 of my Sunrises to Falconis, and have been breeding all 8 each time. And yet.....

This one has 8 Falconi fails: http://dragcave.net/progeny/K5WW

(And I have others that have 8, 6, 6, and 7). I have one that has 5, but I know I didn't breed that one every week so that one isn't a fair barometer.

And these two have 4:

http://dragcave.net/progeny/2osA

http://dragcave.net/progeny/VvZkB

I haven't been tracking the "No Interests" vs "No Eggs", but I think I will.... Because some pairings certainly do seem far more prolific than others!

ETA: I seem to remember getting lots of no-interests from my common x commons, but I'm going to go mass breed and see!

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I also remember seeing somewhere that if a pair of dragons have 'no interest' they are less likely to produce eggs than if they simply gave the 'no egg' message. As a case in point, I bred a dragon that needed to be mated to a mistletoe to continue the lineage, and it gave me 'no interest' 3 weeks in a row. So I bred a sibling to it and bred it to the same mistletoe and it's given me 2 eggs so far and then a 'no egg' message. So I think it does depend on the individuals. Ignoring the rare breedings, if, say, 'no interest' gives you a 50% chance of an egg and 'no egg' is 75%, that's still more of a reason for me to want to keep track.

When I breed things, it's usually a bunch at once, and getting myself to remember to write it all down is pretty difficult because I have the attention span of a oooh shiny!

Anyway... as for fertilizing dragons I want an egg from, that page takes me about 3 minutes to load. sleep.gif; So if I'm going to fertilize, I'd like to know all the more which ones need it because I forget very quickly.

And I don't think it would be that complicated to code. We already have an action log that gives every action we take, and stores a full 100 of them. If there was a mini action log that shows just the last 10 breedings of a specific dragon and the result, there wouldn't be any need to cross reference it since that info is already partially in the action log as it is.