jerzeeshadow

Nearing The 4 Millonth Trade or Transfer!

I had just noticed that we're currently at about 3,993,000. Probably by this time next week or soon thereafter we'll reach a cool milestone. So I got to thinking, does anyone know who made the first transfer ever made on Dragon Cave? Or maybe someone has a funny story about the first trades made back then? Feel free to change/adapt this thread's conversation flow, it might be surprising to see where it leads smile.gif

That's pretty cool! I'd never even think to look for stats like that, or know where.

Can't think of any funny stories, offhand, but sure was grateful to TJ for Teleport!

You know, I can't even imagine DC without transfers or trades! I joined about two years ago, so I have no idea how it was back then, but I did read somewhere that transfers didn't exist in the early days. Is this true?

You know, I can't even imagine DC without transfers or trades! I joined about two years ago, so I have no idea how it was back then, but I did read somewhere that transfers didn't exist in the early days. Is this true?

oh god yeah its true

the ap was used for 'trading' but you had major risk of someone catching what you were trying to transfer to someone else

basically codes were sacred and youd give the code to someone else and let them know when you were dropping

I'm curious on where/how the number of transfers was determined. Could you elaborate?

I'm curious on where/how the number of transfers was determined. Could you elaborate?

I saw the number on the "Active Transfers" page. It's located within the banner of options on each DC user page under the Accounts title. I had just made two hatchie packs, and noticed the transfer numbers on the left of each tradelink.

Presumably from the ID number (listings going from bottom to top for older to most recent):

user posted image

^^

I saw the number on the "Active Transfers" page. It's located within the banner of options on each DC user page under the Accounts title. I had just made two hatchie packs, and noticed the transfer numbers on the left of each tradelink.

Thanks (and thank you Sock for the screen shot). I'd looked at the transfer page of my magi dragons but didn't actually choose anything as I wasn't really wanting to trade/transfer so of course didn't see that.

The current number I have right now for a trade link set up 20 minutes ago has the 3992472'nd spot tongue.gif

Presumably from the ID number (listings going from bottom to top for older to most recent):

user posted image

^^

Oh that's so cool. I had always thought those numbers were just random.

Aw man I was a master at "trading" on the AP. You can't do it like you used to though. It shows that the page doesn't exist. Thank god for transfers. This is cool!

Aw man I was a master at "trading" on the AP. You can't do it like you used to though. It shows that the page doesn't exist. Thank god for transfers. This is cool!

And I was totally locked out of trading before Teleport, since I didn't have the speed necessary to catch things as they flew through the AP. blink.gif

Thank TJ for Teleport! <3

I didn't trade much if I could help it back in the days before teleport. Thankfully I only ever missed one thing, a Chicken egg someone was trying to gift to me.

trading is the only reason i stuck around

seriously i never would have stayed if trading wasn't a thing, that is kinda why i don't have any neggies honestly the only reason i would ever wanna win the raffle is to trade its offspring sure i would love a 1th gen but i really wouldn't be that OHMYGOSH collection i view it as trading

that's kinda why i want a CB gold

yeah... back in the Bad Old Days, if somebody wanted to give you an egg/hatchling, you'd set up the URL to "grab" it with the code for what you were after and arrange a countdown with the person doing the giving, and when the time for the drop came you hit F5 repeatedly like a bunny with an itchy foot for a minute. if you were lucky and quick, you'd more or less automatically "grab" the egg before anybody on the AP could see and click on it. if you weren't... somebody lurking on the AP got a lucky find. sometimes you could come to the forums and say "hey I missed this egg, if you have it could you please send it to me?" or "hey I found this egg that I'm pretty sure was intended as a trade, did somebody miss it?" but that was pretty rare and relied on goodwill all around. so yeah... it was *risky*. imagine somebody willing to gift you a CB gold egg, getting set up with the URL, clicking it until your finger sprains, then checking your scroll and seeing IT ISN'T THERE, and when you look up the code it's on somebody else's scroll and they won't reply to messages. spiteful viewbombing was pretty rampant...

so yeah, I HEART Teleport. best thing implemented on DC since the AP stopped blocking cave drops. (and let me tell you about *those* Bad Old Days...)

My current one is at 3993602... getting closer by the second.

My current one is at 3993602... getting closer by the second.

yeah it is. My last transfer was at 3993842.

So I got to thinking, does anyone know who made the first transfer ever made on Dragon Cave?  Or maybe someone has a funny story about the first trades made back then?

I'm pretty certain I recall that TJ was the first to make a teleport transfer. I swear I remember him saying that he tested the feature out with a cheese. wink.gif

There's one story I have about the days of trading with /abandoned links. Kind of sad actually. For most people on dc, their first gold found on the ap is usually a happy memory. The first gold I had found was suppose to have been a transfer in a trade. I don't recall exactly who, but they pm'd me, requesting it back and promising to breed a sibling. My conscience told me to give it back and I sadly agreed, but, during the transfer, the egg missed its intended target again.

I waited on that promised sibling, however the breeder of course forgot. Didn't get another gold until about a year later from a kind person on the IRC.

Here's the old news link from when teleport and several other features were first implemented. smile.gif

It'll give you an idea just how much the cave's changed.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=117006

Oh man, I remember when this happened... I think it was just a month or two after I came back to the cave, actually. I remember doing one /abandoned link trade with a friend of mine, for a Pygmy egg, and of course no one wanted a Pygmy egg so I got it. But it's so much nicer and better to be able to transfer things safely, to the person you intend to get the egg/hatchie.

It's rather exciting to see how far we've come in just 4 years.

The link I just set up was 3995129. We still have a little way to go, but it looks like we use almost a million Teleports a year. smile.gif

And edited because I need my coffee. blink.gif

Edited by dragongrrl