Tomato_Juice

Text for Grabbing Eggs/Hatchlings

I would love to see this in the cave. It'd be a nice addition to make it more immersive. Support completely!

100% Support! I absolutely love this idea!

Perhaps there could be different text for pygmy eggs?

An idea could be: "You cup the tiny egg in your hands, carrying it out of the cave carefully."

Edited by Darkstorm34

Lol, they're all cute, except for the one about the hatchling following you home. At DC, if a hatching you abandon follows you home, you have no chance of getting rid of it for 24 hours, so I'd suggest a different phrasing.

I once had to Freeze a messy hatchy I'd checked on the AP, as it had followed me home and would have grown up on my scroll. I don't Freeze, (except that one, and one which was more recently Frozen by accident, instead of being Abandoned, when I was very tired) so that was felt as being rather a blot on my scroll.

Wait wait what? Hatchies can follow you home from the AP? When the hell was this a thing? WHat?

Wait wait what? Hatchies can follow you home from the AP? When the hell was this a thing? WHat?

I'm wondering about this too. I've been here since 2008 and I've never heard of an abandoned hatchie following anyone home.

I'm wondering about this too. I've been here since 2008 and I've never heard of an abandoned hatchie following anyone home.

LOL I was very surprised, when after trying to abandon that particular hatchy, I got thar message and ended keeping it smile.gif

Edit: not sure if that was the reason but I had abandoned a few just before that happened.

Edited by SullenCat

LOL I was very surprised, when after trying to abandon that particular hatchy, I got thar message and ended keeping it smile.gif

Edit: not sure if that was the reason but I had abandoned a few just before that happened.

Lol, it's not a common occurrence, but it does happen from time to time, one of TJ's little surprises which help make the site individual.

Just started to wonder if these can be Teleported off your scroll and abandoned by someone else?

This long preceded Teleport, so it mightn't have been coded against that, and the scroll change might, perhaps, potentially alter the coding for non-abandoning? Just curiosity...

This wouldn't affect me because by now, I only look to see if it's text or egg - did I get it or not? But I'm not against it.

RagnorokX I'll add that in!

Syphoneira I'm currently reconsidering the first hatchling text.

Darkstorm34 I just love that idea! I'll be adding it.

SockPuppet Strangler I get what you're saying. But wouldn't it be fun to have text when you successfully grab those youngsters?

PixelShark thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I like how you assign the descriptions based on rarity.

Edited by Tomato_Juice

SockPuppet Strangler I get what you're saying. But wouldn't it be fun to have text when you successfully grab those youngsters?

For some, yes, as is made clear by other answers. I know all the text by now, so I don't bother reading it every time it pops up. (And for as much as I love to write, I'm not a huge roleplayer during casual gameplay.) For me, it's just an indication that I didn't get the dragon. However, like I said, I'm not against it. Plenty of others find it a cute addition and that's good enough for me. =)

For some, yes, as is made clear by other answers. I know all the text by now, so I don't bother reading it every time it pops up. (And for as much as I love to write, I'm not a huge roleplayer during casual gameplay.) For me, it's just an indication that I didn't get the dragon. However, like I said, I'm not against it. Plenty of others find it a cute addition and that's good enough for me. =)

PLUS, if a person DOESN'T care, it isn't like it has to be done intrusively so that it is impossible to ignore for those that don't want it.

I wouldn't mind this. Plus it'd be a little extra bonus beyond just the code page.

Support!

The only problem I potentially see with this is that a lot of "common vs. rare" is set by the players not the game. So if something is meant to be common, but is popular enough to be rare, which message is it supposed to get?

Otherwise a nice idea.

The only problem I potentially see with this is that a lot of "common vs. rare" is set by the players not the game.  So if something is meant to be common, but is popular enough to be rare, which message is it supposed to get?

Otherwise a nice idea.

Pretty much this.

I don't pay much attention to catch text myself, but I see no reason why this suggestion would hurt anyone, so I'll casually support it. I do think the messages should be random rather than based on rarity though, since some things which are supposed to be common/uncommon (2 of the 3 Pyralspites, Xenos, Blusangs, used to be CB Stripes/Blacks/Vines) are actually quite rare.

Sock's comment made me think. Some of us look at the text and see 'text = didn't get egg'. So, adding text in would confuse us all for a while. True, we'd get over it fairly quickly, but still...

Just a note: put the text underneath the egg sprite you get. That way, the first thing you see is likely to be the sprite rather than the text, and you know you have the egg.

It's a cute idea, I'd like to see this.

One thing though: There are no official rarities, so I'd rather have a random message appear, or make them depend on the breed. Just one example:

Just as you pick up the egg, you hear a loud roar. Clutching the egg, you speed out of the cave.

Why for uncommons? It makes more sense to get a message like this if you pick up an egg from a rather aggressive breed. There are aggressive commons and friendly uncommons, after all.

It's a cute idea, I'd like to see this.

One thing though: There are no official rarities, so I'd rather have a random message appear, or make them depend on the breed. Just one example:

Why for uncommons? It makes more sense to get a message like this if you pick up an egg from a rather aggressive breed. There are aggressive commons and friendly uncommons, after all.

This is a good point.

H-fires are Fairly common.... BUT I sure wouldn't want to be caught by Mama H-fire stealing her eggies. O.o

Ok. It seems like more people are for the idea of randomizing the text than those who like it based on rarity. So I will change it.

I'm neutral on this. It wouldn't matter much to me, but for those who want it I see no down side.

Ilike this idea and don't see what it would hurt. However, I'd love to see some rotating variety (I'd love to see at least 10 random options per category ) and also ones specific to Biomes. Like you might run and duck behind a tree in the forest or jungle, but more likely a sand dune in the desert or maybe coast.

As cute as this might seem, unless we get new flavor texts every once in a (short!) while, we'll get used to all of those suggested thus far, and not read them at all. At least not any more. So, the benefit will be rather short-lived, and not worth the work IMHO.

No support.