AnanoKimi

Recipes

Welcome to the Recipes Thread

This thread is here with the purpose of allowing the DC community to share recipes amongst ourselves. This can include cultural dishes, Vegetarian/Vegan friendly dishes, healthy meals, budget meals, homemade, etc. I'm hoping the community can come together and share lots of yummy food recipes to not only enjoy on our own or with family but to also to expand our knowledge about new foods, new ways to prepare them, and open our world to new dishes. Be adventurous and try out new things and share any new discoveries or close to heart recipes you think others will like. Don't be shy.

Feel free to ask about certain types of recipes and brainstorm ways to improve or change the recipes. Cooking tips and substitute suggestions are always welcome here since I am sure the DC community has people with certain food allergies or certain food customs so never be afraid to edit a recipe and reposting it showing the edits you made. Please try to quote or reference the post in which the original recipe is at to ensure all options are available.

As part of the sharing and experiencing I will be doing my best to post daily/semi daily recipes on here to encourage discussion and posting. I will be posting recipes mainly from an instagram account called 1minutemeals. Go check them out if you want/can.

Orange Chicken Stir-Fry with Asparagus

Ingredients

-2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast/tenders diced into roughly 1 in pieces

-1.5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil (or any cooking oil you have available), divided

-2lbs of asparagus, end portions trimmed and remainder cut into roughly 1 1/2 in pieces

-1 small yellow onion, cut into thin strips

-8 oz button mushrooms sliced

-1 tbsp peeled and finely grated fresh ginger

-4 cloves of garlic

-1/2 cup of low-sodium chicken broths

-juice from two fresh oranges

-2 tbsp raw honey

-2 tbsp cornstarch

-sea salt and freshly ground pepper (or whatever salt and pepper you have available)

In a 12-inch non-stick wok, heat 1/2 oil over moderately high heat. Once oil is hot, add diced chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through, tossing occasionally, about 5-6 minutes.

Place chicken on a large plate and set aside. Return wok, reduce to medium-high heat, add remaining oil. Once oil is hot, add asparagus, yellow onion and mushrooms, and saute until tender-crisp, about 4 - 5 minutes, adding in garlic and ginger during the last 1 minute of sauteing. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, honey and cornstarch until well blended. Pour chicken broth mixture into skillet with veggies, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to gently boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Toss chicken into mixture and serve immediately over brown rice or quinoa.

NOTE: if you do not have a wok, use any frying pan available to you.

Edited by AnanoKimi

When I was a kid my mother had very crafty ways of getting us to eat our vegetables. All of us were pretty picky eaters, so mom would puree vegetables we didn't like and mix them into hamburger patty meat. She did it in a way where we couldn't tell the difference. Then she added vegetables we DID like on the side.

When cooking very lean meat like bison, she also mixes in mushrooms. She dices them and mixes them into the meat, and she also drops slices in the pan. Mushrooms retain moisture, so it ensures the meat doesn't end up dry. Dry meat is up there with cold coffee...

Edited by ZontarZon

My favorite cooking tip is this: when making scrambled eggs or even an omelet don't use milk or cream, add water to the eggs and then whisk then until they are foamy. They will be nice and fluffy and there are no extra calories.

When I posted this I couldn't really think of something good to start it off with but now I remember my mom used to make me these like ice cream pancake taco things with like flavored syrup and they were amazing.

Its like those folded in half crepes but with somewhat thick pancakes, with ice cream inside and your choice of chocolate and/or strawberry syrup topped with some whipped cream. I loved those man.

When I was younger, we used to make pancakes with Orange Juice instead of milk. It was the box mix. Everything was the same except OJ instead of Milk.

On special occasions we used to put rainbow sprinkles on them too, to make them *fancy*

Does anyone have any good recipes for Korean dishes? I have made several Japanese dishes (including homemade ramen noodles), but I want to branch out to Korean foods. I really love Korean dishes.

Does anyone have any good recipes for Korean dishes? I have made several Japanese dishes (including homemade ramen noodles), but I want to branch out to Korean foods. I really love Korean dishes.

We actually have a fantastic Bulgogi (firemeat) recipe that we make for special occasions. It should be authentic, since it came from a recipe book handed out at a gathering for Korean children and their adoptive families in... Chicago, I think it was. It's a beef recipe, and one of my favorite foods ever.

Despite the name, it's really not hot at all - it's actually sweet. I imagine the name comes from the preparation, rather than the flavor. Fo best results, marinate overnight. It's impossible to marinate this for too long, unless you let it rot :-p

user posted image

I made angel food cake for the first time this week. Since it didn't fail miserably, I figured I'd make another one and bring it into my French class tomorrow to celebrate the 4th of July (I'm not above bringing baked goods to try and make professors like me). Anyway, last time I sifted together my cake flour and half the sugar, but I didn't put them through the sifter again when I was adding them to the whipped eggs and sugar, I poured it in directly from the bowl I'd sifted it into.

Tonight, I tried sifting the flour/sugar mixture into the egg whites. And (from what I remember, anyway) the batter seemed so much lighter and airier. I was really surprised by what a difference it made.

On a different note, anyone have a good recipe for French meringues? I tried those recently, but when I tried piping it onto cookie sheets, I found the meringue was runnier than I would have liked and wasn't holding it's shape the way I'd hoped it would.

found a tutorial vid on making one's own gummies. just played around in the kitchen tonight. made a spectacular mess. This tutorial:

I have just been nerding out tonight. Transformers gummies. I shall make more to take with me to TFcon. I am increasing the amount of plain gelatin by one more packet.

user posted image

Edited by Starscream

Something I made up:

Yammy Spammy

1 can Spam-type meat, pref Walmart brand (tastes better than Armour Treet and less expensive than Spam brand)

1 large can sweet potatoes/yams

Cut up spam into bite-size pieces, place in a large microwave-proof bowl. Open the can of sweet'taters, drain well, dump on top of the spam. Cover with a paper towel or splatter shield, microwave on high for about 5 minutes. Stir up the spam and taters together and serve.

You can also make this with ham, in which case it's called Yammy Hammy.

This might blow your mind a bit. Cookies without milk, or vanilla extract!

I didn't make the recipe myself. It's from an "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" little cookbook. But it's worth it. Quick, easy, and delicious "Peanut Butter Munchies!"

*Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

*Hershey's Kisses are optional.

You will need:

1 cup of peanut butter

1 cup of sugar

1 Egg

Mix it all together thoroughly, until you can't see any clear liquid or the yolk of the egg. Then, using your hands, roll the dough into very small, inch-sized balls and set them apart from each other. (I typically can fit it on a pan 4x5, and this recipe makes 20-some cookies.)

Place the pan in the oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are a gold color. Remove the cookies. The recipe calls for you to use fork tongs to press down, criss-cross marks on the cookie. As a personal preference, I dip the fork into a little bowl of sugar and criss-cross then.

*NOTE: After criss-crossing the cookies, you can add Hershey's Kisses to the top of the cookies. It really adds to the flavor!

Edited by PixelShark

So I created this recipe fairly recently, and my family really likes it [meaning we are literally just waiting for our dad to finish his first helping so we can devourer our seconds]. I cook for a family of five so you might need to downsize the recipe or have tons of leftovers =P I don't really like measuring things out, and I rarely actually end up measuring stuff [that's why I'm terrible at baking...Heh...] especially when it involves cream sauces =P so I'll do my best to convert it into a recipe.

Alfredo With A Kick

Serving Size: 5

Ingredients:

-16oz Spiral Pasta

-3 medium sized chicken breasts

-1 small onion diced

-4 Tbs of butter

-3 Tbs of flour [i use gluten free flour, which makes the sauce thicker than regular flour, but any type of flour will do]

-1 cup of milk [you can add a bit of heavy whipping cream or 1/2 and 1/2 if you want]

-1 cup of chicken broth

-4oz can of mushrooms [you don't need to add this, but it adds good flavor]

-1 cup of Parmesan cheese

-1/4 tsp of garlic

-2 tbsp of Oregano

-1/4 tsp of salt

-1/4 tsp of pepper [to taste]

- can of tomatoes with green chilies

Directions:

1. Heat up a large pot (5-6 quarts) of water and let it sit until a rolling boil. Then pour in the pasta and cook according to the instructions.

2. Meanwhile cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and saute in a large skillet with Extra virgin olive oil and the onions. Once the chicken is done stir in the mushrooms, but reserve the mushroom juice.

3. In a medium sized saucepan heat up the butter over medium heat till bubbly. Little by little whisk in the flour. Tilt the pan to the side while whisking in the flour so it blends better with the butter. After that gradually whisk in the milk and then the broth. If the sauce isn't thickening up enough whisk in more flour. Next, whisk in the reserved mushroom juice, Cheese, Garlic, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper.

4. Lastly, combine the pasta, sauce, chicken mushroom mixture, and the can of tomatoes. I normally heat it up on the stove right before serving so it's nice and hot. Serve with your favorite green veggies or a few slices of crunchy red peppers.

Well that's all! I hope you enjoyed reading this recipe and that it has inspired you to try new things in the kitchen =P If you decide to try this recipe out let me know what you think of it happy.gif

Edited by Saphira

Blueberry Banana Bread

By Jenn (Darklithe)

Ingredients:

1 box Betty Crocker™ Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix (with canned blueberries included)

2 brown/heavily speckled bananas

½ container of fresh blueberries

¼ cup vegetable oil or melted vegetable oil shortening

¾ cup milk

2 eggs, Grade A Large or larger

Directions:

01. Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (204° Celsius).

02. Take one teaspoon of dry muffin mix and toss the fresh (DRY) blue berries with it; this will prevent them sinking to the bottom of the loaf.

03. Mix remaining muffin mix, oil/shortening, milk, and eggs as directed. There will probably be some lumps, and that’s okay. Do not mix in the canned blueberries yet!

04. Whisk squishy bananas into goo in a separate bowl and beat into the muffin batter until well blended.

05. Mix in the canned and fresh blueberries with a spatula.

06. Pour batter into non-stick loaf pan, or into greased and floured loaf pan.

07. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.

08. Remove from oven and CAREFULLY cover with aluminum foil. Try to make a tent with the foil so that you don’t smoosh the top of the loaf. Use oven mitts or heat-proof gloves as that loaf pan will be hot!

09. Bake covered for 10 minutes.

10. Remove from oven again and remove foil.

11. Return to oven and bake uncovered for the final five minutes.

12. Cool in pan on counter-top for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool for another 20 minutes.

13. Slice and enjoy!

One-Ton Chocolate Cupcakes

By Jenn (Darklithe)

Ingredients:

1 cup & 2 tbsp. cake flour

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/3 tsp. baking powder

1/3 tsp. salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar (packed)

1 cup unsalted butter (melted, slightly cooled)

2/3 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 to 1 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon (to taste)

4 eggs

2 squares (very finely chopped) 90% cocoa chocolate (I used Lindt)

1/2 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (to taste)

Directions:

01. Preheat your oven to 325°F and line your muffin pan with cupcake cups. I use foil-lined paper cups, because they stay pretty.

02. In a small bowl, mix together your flour, cocoa powder, ground Saigon cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

03. In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture in a few doses, beating until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

04. Scoop your batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 28 minutes or until a tester inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs attached and maybe a little melted chocolate. The tops of the cupcakes will not spring back when touched. That's assuming that yours rose. Mine did not, but God, they were good.

05. Let them cool in the pan on a rack or the stove top for 10 minutes.

06. Remove them from the pan and let them cool completely on a rack or your counter top. This is important! If you don't let them cool, they might melt the frosting, which would still be good, but very messy.

07. Top cooled cupcakes with your favorite frosting. I used cream cheese frosting. And shredded coconut. #overkill<3

Sweet Asian-Style Turkey Lettuce Wraps

By Jenn (Darklithe)

Ingredients:

Chili sauce

Soy sauce

Brown sugar

Ground turkey

Green onions, sliced

Garlic, minced

Carrot, grated

Black Pepper

Instructions:

Mix chili sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar to taste; approximately 3-4 parts chili sauce, 1-2 parts brown sugar, 1/2-1 part soy sauce, adjust to taste.

Slice green onion, add approx. one part to sauce, with 1/8-1/4 part minced garlic, whisk sauce to combine, let sit to mellow.

In castiron skillet on medium-high, quickly brown green onion, minced garlic, then add ground turkey, cook thoroughly. Set aside.

Grate carrot (in food processor), then wrap in cloth/paper towel and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Add to sauce, combine with rubber spatula.

Add turkey and pan juices to sauce, mix thoroughly. Add black pepper to taste.

If not for immediate consumption, refrigerate. Serve hot or cold with cleaned lettuce leaves for wrapping, or with sweet rolls (King's Hawaiian).

Edited by Darklithe

Updated the first post with a nice yummy recipe and will be trying to post more recipes as best as I can. For now, bump.

DIY Vanilla Extract:

Materials

- Bottle with airtight lid

- Alcohol (vodka is what I use)

- Vanilla beans (I use 3/cup of alcohol).

- Funnel (optional, but highly recommend)

Instructions:

Slice vanilla diagonally and then cut into segments. Add vanilla beans, then add alcohol. Shake 2x per weeks for 12 weeks. Ta-da!

Making your own vanilla is super easy and much more affordable. I got 12 vanilla beans for 20 dollars, a 3.99 bottle with a stopper, and 10 bucks' worth of vodka. It's been infusing for about six weeks now and it looks amazing. As far as content, it's probably like 32 ounces. If you consider that good vanilla costs like 20 dollars for like 6 ounces.. yeah. Highly recommend.

Homemade Potato Bites

Ingredients:

- Several potatoes, depending on how many people you are feeding. One family of 4-5 needs about 7-8 large potatoes. (any can work, but I recommend non-sweet potatoes)

- Sea salt

- Montreal Steak Spice

- Ground Black pepper powder

- Extra Virgin olive oil

Potato Preparation

1. Wash your potatoes thoroughly.

2. Slice the potatoes into small pieces. To do this, slice the potato in half vertically. Then, take each half and slice those vertically. After that, place the two little halves of the half a potato together and slice them into pieces. Each piece is *usually* about ~3 quarters the size of your entire thumb finger.

3. Wash the potatoes again.

4. Prepare a pot of boiling water on the stove to boil your potato pieces.

5. Boil the pieces for about 15ish mins, or until just about cooked. Try not to overcook them.

6. Drain the potatoes and run them under cold water until they are cool enough to touch without burning youself.

7. Dump the potatoes into a large bowl, and add 2-4 spoonfuls of olive oil. Again, this depends on how many people you are feeding. If you're just feeding 1-2 people, ~2 spoons should be enough. More people (family of 4-5) needs ~3-4.

8. Mix the oil with the potatoes so each piece is somewhat covered.

9. Season the potatoes using the sea salt, steak spice, and black pepper.

10. Mix thoroughly so each potato should be somewhat seasoned.

Baking

1. Preheat oven to 420F

2. Cover an oven safe pan with aluminum foil.

3. Pour the potatoes on the pan and spread them out.

4. Bake the potatoes for about 20-30 minutes. Depending on how crispy you want them to be, slightly longer times are good too!

Enjoy!

Here are some of my favorite dessert recipes:

Monster Cookies

3 eggs

1 & 1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp baking soda

1 stick butter

1 & 1/4 cup peanut butter

4 & 1/2 cups oatmeal

1 cup choc chips

1 cup M&Ms

Combine all ingredients. Bake at 350F for 10-15 min.

Scotcheroos (basically peanut butter rice krispies with chocolate on top)

Combine in large pot over low heat:

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup sugar

Bring to slight boil.

Stir in 1 cup creamy peanut butter.

After peanut butter melts, remove from heat.

Add 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal.

Press lightly in 9"x13" pan (sprayed with cooking spray). Let cool.

Combine 1 cup chocolate chips & 1 cup butterscotch chips.

Melt over low heat, stirring often. Spread over cooled bars.

S'More Bars

Cream:

1 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

Add:

2 eggs, one at a time

1 tsp vanilla extract

Gradually add:

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 & 1/4 cup flour

Stir in:

2 cups miniature marshmallows

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

1 & 1/2 cup semisweet choc chips

Spread into a greased 9"x13" pan.

Bake at 350F for 22-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool & cut.

No-Bake Chocolate Cookies

In a medium saucepan, stir together:

2 cups sugar

6 Tbsp baking cocoa

1/2 cup milk

1 stick butter

Heat over medium heat, stirring. Let it come to a boil & boil 1 minute.

Turn off heat.

Stir in:

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups instant oatmeal

Stir well. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.

Chocolate Chip Cookies (this recipe is my favorite and everyone at work talks about how great they are)

Cream well:

1 cup shortening

1 stick butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

Add:

3 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

12 oz chocolate chips

Bake at 325F (check around 7 min).

(This is a "double" recipe - the original wasn't intended to be a batch of cookies, but rather to be one single large cookie in a standard pizza pan. This "double" recipe is a good amount for a batch of cookies. Also that's why I don't have an exact time, because the cook time for the pizza-cookie is slightly different from actual cookies.)

(I usually start checking them at around 7 minutes until they look no longer raw - and are starting to become golden-brown on the bottom. I also leave them on the pan for a few minutes unless the bottom is too done.)

Ohh, here's one of my favorite home-made salted caramel sauce:

1 cup white sugar

6 tablespoons of salted (unsalted is fine too, but salted is usually preferred) butter, cut into 6 pieces

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon salt

Just heat the sugar until it's completely melted (on medium heat seems to work the best for me), and then toss the butter cubes into it! Once the butter is completely melted (very slowly) add in the cream. It'll bubble up and pop a bit, so be careful. Then just boil it for about a minute or so and then remove it from the heat. Sprinkle the salt into it and stir. Once it cools down, it'll thicken up and makes for a great sauce on just about anything sweet.

You can store it in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!