Evangeline

Roleplaying

This thread is not for RPing.

I am just curious; how many roleplayers are here? How long have you been doing it? Do you LARP? Para? Do you have a specific role you tend to take?

I started LARPing when I was around 13. In 2009, I started writing in the roleplay section here, and I have enjoyed para'ing ever since. ninja.gif

Edited by evangeline5432

How many? Basically everyone on the RP section, lol. I don't LARP, but I've dabbled in DnD and most of my RPing is in novel-like written format (para, I assume). I'm in it more for the writing aspect.

I've only been LARPing for about a year, but I've been doing RPs on here since 2009. I've done some other RPing with friends over skype and whatnot, but nothing much.

In terms of what role I usually take, it depends on the day. I like to stay away from characteristics of myself while LARPing, but I tend to take them on when RPing.

I don't RP here but I must have been doing it nightly with a few people since well back into 2006-ish. We tend to stick to facebook roleplays and MSPARP occasionally. It's kind of a nice thing to pace yourself with when you've got drab assignments to get through. laugh.gif

I'm most skilled in the 1-2 paragraph range, but there's nothing like a couple of scripts/2-3 liners to keep a quick pace going. Unfortunately my attention dwindles if it gets anything over 5-6 paragraphs... I'm far too easily distracted!

As for LARPing, only a few times. Good fun, but I struggle to take things seriously in real life, so I just end up laughing too much or breaking character. blink.gif

I've never LARPed, but it sounds interesting and I would like to try it sometime, if I found a community I liked.

I started roleplaying in 2009 and continued until about 2014. I'm looking for a small RP to see if I can get back into it, since it has been a little while and I want to know if I can still enjoy it.

I usually take whatever role is available. I'm fond of slice of life RPs, and am not really one for saving the world.

When you really look at it, I have technically been LARPing since elementary school during recess and lunch hour with my friends, starting with Pokemon and then moving onto other various things we were all interested in (Of course none of it was as formal as a more official LARP). I haven't really done any of it since then. moved on to online RP in the middle of eighth grade. although we were roleplaying on chat boxes. Made a good group of friends, though most of them left, I'm still connected with a few and still actively RP with one of them. I have been RPing in these forums since I joined, considering my reason for joining the forum was the freeform section.

@Abia: If you're looking to get back into RP you could request of a 1x1 or some other number in the freeform section, I'm sure many of the people there would be willing to help you.

Edited by psyshock

I'm roleplaying for two or three years. I play almost all WH40K RP-s from FFG, Warhammer Fantasy and Wolsung. In Dark Heresy I play as a warrior; in Only War I'm a lady comissar. In Rouge Trader I have two characters, a tech-priest and a spy. But my best character is from WHF: an old lady, Nanny Ogg-like, who fights with a pitchfork.

I never LARP-ed or rolplayed via forum.

tabletop RP more or less continually since... 1989, heh. mostly D&D; I'm currently in two games, one Pathfinder, one 5th Edition. I've LARPed a few times, but never been in a long-term campaign, just one-offs. I used to text RP on UseNet, but haven't been able to get into the swing of it on LJ or forums. also used to be an avid RPer in World of Warcraft, but dropped out a couple of years ago (mostly for reasons of Dramaz) and haven't picked it up again. also dabbled in MUCKs, but not consistently. so, uh--yes. biggrin.gif

Wish I could LARP but there's no one to do it with.

I've been RPing since like I was ever on the internet. 2005, 2006? Man that takes me back lmao

Loads of recurring characters, one on ones, over the years. With recent school and exams I haven't been doing much bc everything's happening at once (and still is) but I'm trying to get back into it

Edited by Anak

Been stably roleplaying in written form since about 2004 or so. Solo-writing for longer.

I've been RPing in written form for maybe three years now? Which isn't a lot, but I started writing fantasy and other types of fiction when I was much younger so I had a bit of prior writing experience. I played DnD for a very brief stint and have never LARPed, I'd probably start laughing and break character very quickly. (I don't RP on here for whatever reason, I stopped a while ago. Hm, I should start again! Thanks to this thread for reminding me |D)

Edited by cheese456

I've tried roleplaying before and just couldn't get into it.

I just don't like not having total control over what's happening.

I started playing AD&D (aka 2nd edition) way back in 1985. RP'ed through high school both AD&D and the Dr. Who RPG, plus Cyberpunk and GURPS. Flirted with Vampire: the Masquerade when it came out. Tried Paranoia at some point. Got into the RPGA's Living City campaign in the later 1990s and branched out into Living Death and Living Greyhawk as well. Lived through the disaster that was the conversion from 2nd ed to 3rd. Worked briefly for WotC as a chat monitor in the In-Character chatrooms right around the turn of the century. Did a lot of freeform RPing in the IC chats both before and after my time as a chat mod, although the group I most often played with moved to a different site following some major technical issues when WotC changed their chat platform. Opened a game store with my husband in 2008 and we promptly started a 4th ed D&D campaign for our customers, plus briefly ran a WoD Werewolf: the Forsaken campaign.

And I still play whenever possible, although that's been limited to the occasional convention for the last couple of years.

Every time we get a group together to roleplay we only do about 5 sessions and then everyone loses interest. So lame.

I LARP with my best friend whenever I can, and when we can't, we usually rp back and forth with texts. We're dorks that way~. Oh, I'll do other rps on occasion, too. Pokémon Showdown (the rp chatroom) and the like.

I roleplay, maybe a bit too much. Though I have no idea what type I do (or what things like LARP stand for lol)

I roleplay, maybe a bit too much. Though I have no idea what type I do (or what things like LARP stand for lol)

I'd like to second Esko's question about LARP.

Like him, I am not sure what that means.

I have RPed over the internet for a few years now... though I was RPing with my sister LONG before that.Even though at the time I didn't know that that was what it was.

Edited by Silverswift

I used to roleplay through Greatest Journal back when it was still alive. Mostly Harry Potter type games. I got burnt out on it a couple of years ago. As an English major, I'm always reading and writing, so now there isn't much time to do it. I'd like to hop back in eventually. I'm a fan of the longer, more fleshed out posts. It's hard for me to reply to short one-liners.

My Dad gave me 'The Pillars of Pentegarn' when I was about eight, never gone back from there. LARPing, table-top roleplays, RP games on the computer...

I used to roleplay actively a few years ago, but it stopped and my writing skills suffered pretty bad. My imagination isn't too great e^e I've wanted to LARP, but none of my friends are good for it, and the one TTRPG I've played is Everyone's John.

I have never really LARPed to the full extent of the term, though I have been in character at conventions before.

I RP nearly daily via email, though. I prefer 1x1 because I am too busy to keep up with a whole group of people (it moves too fast), and I don't like dealing with the huge array of writing styles and variety of skill levels that a forum-based RP tends to have. I don't mind taking a step down in skill level to work with a less skilled writer, but having ability level all over the place with so many writers just makes it hard for me to stay interested. Plus, I have found that any group RPs I do actually find interesting inevitably die. >_>

I have been actively RPing for...let's see, about 15 years, I would say. God, I feel old. xd.png I started on AIM back when that was actually a big thing, before the big migration from Neopets to elsewhere when they started cracking down on people.

I used to RP pretty regularly- first tabletop games back in the 80s, then chat rooms back when the original WBS was a thing in the 90s. I've wandered away from it for the most part though. The area I'm in, there's virtually no tabletop groups and the randomness of online RP has worn thin. I tend to like a thoroughly developed world to play in with a broad storyline to work character interactions around.

There's one person I still RP with but it's honestly more like testing out characters for our novels to see their personalities as the other intends. Makes writing them easier when you've seen them in action, so to speak.

I used to rolelay a lot when I would frequent Pokefarm. There were avid story makers (I feel roleplayers are story writers come together to make an epic from everyones point of view) and I would love making deep entrancing stories with them. It was wonderful because these were mostly full paragraphs of just imagery and character interaction. It was nice. There was one story that pulled in a good number of people, not to roleplay but just to read it as we were writing because it was that good. We were writing a story live and people just had to read it.

Little by little everyone started getting busy, I started loosing contact with them and I even left eventually because I lost interest in the site itself. Every time I tried to find good people to roleplay with they were all one liners and they hardly had any effort in their lines and it was just depressing.

I eventually started roleplaying with my boyfriend, doing one on ones but as we both started school and work that fell out eventually.

I havent found a group of people like them or someone like my boyfriend to roleplay with again so I've sort of fallen out of it and just look back on my memories of those days.

I used to do a lot of forum-based (I'm assuming para is short for paragraph form?) and messenger-based RPing when I was in middle school, high school, and some of undergrad school. I tried table top a few times, but I don't really know anyone to do it with on a regular basis and I don't know anyone who is into RPing enough to LARP.

Now, I mostly just do 1x1 RPs with my BFF (for reasons similar to Kyrieath) and use my writing abilities for web comic scripts and other silliness.

Edited by Jazeki

I also used to do a lot of forum-based roleplaying on Wheel of Time based forums (Dragonmount, Band of the Red Hand). Haven't been into it in quite a few years though.