Cheeze

General Nostalgia Thread

Sometimes you've just got to take some time to remember some of the great things from your past- music, shows, movies, games, foods, friends, experiences, etc.

In general, I'd say try to abstain from those "Only 90's kids will understand" kinds of things. Every generation has cartoons, snacks, etc. that all have their own nostalgic value to someone who grew up with them. It's one thing to say you miss the old stuff, because you can remember it with a childlike innocence and wonder, but don't be that guy saying "They just don't make good ___ anymore." It's all a matter of preference.

I've been playing DragonCave for over 8 years. I joined from the Onslaught forums, which no longer exist unfortunately. I remember refreshing the DC homepage and seeing the Forum link suddenly appear. Since day 1 I've been a member of the forums, and at the height of it all I had the highest post count and was a global moderator. This was the first big online community I was ever a part of, and I haven't really had a similar experience since then. For a while I was active on the Wildshadow forums for Realm of the Mad God, but the game changed hands, and got monetized and the Wildshadow forums got nuked too. I remember searching through pages of Final Fantasy sprite sheets to find cool looking dragons to suggest for the site back before the overhaul to original art only. I remember playing through Act Raiser on the SNES and getting to the final boss and thinking "Wow! That's the original gold dragon!" I remember immature attempts at trolling the irc and getting kicked and banned constantly rolleyes.gif . I posted a lot of ignorant opinions in debate threads, some of which are still archived unfortunately unsure.gif. But I really miss the days of posting regularly, checking for updates on the threads I was a part of, and just the feeling of having a role to fill in a group. Hard to believe I was 12 when I started playing the game. A hell of a lot has changed in 8 years. I really wish I'd have checked in more often or kept in touch with some of the people I've met here, but I haven't been relevant for a long, long time. Not sure what to make of it all, but I was feeling pretty nostalgic seeing the bookmark link to the forums on my old PC. It's been too long since I've popped in, so hello again to anyone who may remember me. Sorry for any stupid or offensive things I've posted in the past; keep in mind I was pretty young and obnoxious. Best wishes to the current moderator staff. I don't even recognize a good many names there now. But yeah, this whole forum and the years I've been here tend to put me in a nostalgic mood. Change is a good thing, but man, I miss the way it used to be.

Cheeze, it's good to see you back here. I started in June, '08, after seeing eggs on MySpace and a couple of reptile sites I was involved with, and you were one of the very few names I remember from my first ill-fated foray into dragon-raising. I left, and returned in September of 2010, and you were one of the site legends by that time. You were 12 when the site started? Wow! Those eight years cover the biggest changes in most people's lives, and everyone needs a chance to be young and dumb. It's one of the essential parts of growing up. xd.png Will you start collecting again?

My niece played for a while, starting around her 12th birthday in 2010, but she played less than a year, while I stayed with her family. She lost the names on her dragons after we moved in separate directions, and has other things that occupy her interest now. It would be fun if she came back, but, well, time will tell.

Edited because Spellchecker failed, and I caught it after I posted! rolleyes.gif

Edited by dragongrrl

Thank you. I probably won't ever get back into the actual game. I used to post them on a couple other forums I was on and I remember there was a big appeal to me to have your friends be the ones to help you hatch and grow the dragons. Once the incubator sites showed up, I kind of lost interest. It became a bit less social, which was the main appeal to me then. I did have some of the rarer dragons though. I had a 1st gen holly named Santa, one of the very first neglected dragons, etc. But to clear up names and give everything a bit of closure, I've killed off almost all the dragons from my scroll. I'm not sure what I started at, but I've got the silver trophy, so at least 200. I'm down to just 1 and some zombies. I guess I'll need to get the dragon that lets you kill zombies tho if I want to finish the job.

Otherwise, I just remembered about another old MMO I used to play called The Chipped Dagger that I had a lot of fun playing and exploring. It never had a very large playerbase, and I think the server is totally inactive now. But a big part of the game involved entering crevasses in the overworld to fight monster hoards, and since I first played the game, the word crevasse has always had ties to it for me. Any time I hear the word it reminds me of playing that game.

remember when you could buy something and they wouldn't ask for your address and phone number?

whee it was not like a adoption where you pay them and then they let you leave

step one:pick your item

step two:stand in line at the register and when it is your turn give said item over

step three:leave

DONE!

Edited by blockEdragon

I know there was a bit of an uproar about Santa. In fact, dragons stopped losing their names when they died, and dead dragons started retaining their lineages after Santa, so you have had some major impact on the way the game is played. I know I have a Santa descendant somewhere on my scroll. Now, if I could only, wait, here it is! http://dragcave.net/lineage/UBcxs. Oh, Pinkie was still there, last time I looked, but her headstone now stands next to Santa's. Santa is, and will remain one of the true DC Legends.

I tried a couple other adoptable sites, but never got into them the way I did here. It is people on the forums, along with the mods and spriters who help make the difference. Somehow, I've just topped 4900 dragons, and I have plans for many more. Crazy, isn't it?

You could just build a massive Zombie army. xd.png

I just look at all the dragons available to us today and think... geez. I still remember when my scroll was Purple, Red, Black, Magi, Earth... and that was it. I'm glad I started when I did because I wouldn't have the patience to get to where I am now with my scroll if I had started today.

I was 13 when I joined. I'll be 20 in December. I joined because 2 people out of the Pokemon chatroom that I was on recommended my joining.

Edited by Earth Gurl

All my dragons lost their names and I'm too lazy to rename them, olol.

I joined the site itself in 2008 (I WAS NINE!!!!!!! IN FOURTH GRADE!!!!!!!!) and the forums when I was 10 hahaha. I'm 16 now.

I've actually been signing in and visiting places I used to frequent. The Endless Forest, wajas, neopets, powerpets, here. Although signing into neopets this week was a bad idea because all the filters are down, haha. It's weird. And cringy. I really don't want to go back and look at my old posts anywhere.

I joined the site itself in 2008 (I WAS NINE!!!!!!! IN FOURTH GRADE!!!!!!!!) and the forums when I was 10 hahaha. I'm 16 now.

I've actually been signing in and visiting places I used to frequent. The Endless Forest, wajas, neopets, powerpets, here. Although signing into neopets this week was a bad idea because all the filters are down, haha. It's weird. And cringy. I really don't want to go back and look at my old posts anywhere.

I joined when I was almost twelve, I'm seventeen now. I was also quite cringe-worthy. I thought I was so mature yet I was very much in my "I'm so random" phase. Oh god, dark times.

I've been posting on these forums throughout my most formative adolescent years...I'm afraid of what I might find if I read through my oldest posts. Heck, I'm embarassed by the stuff I posted a year ago, let alone five years ago.

Qwackie, in the name of nostalgia, I have to bring up an interaction between the two of us that I still remember to this day. In a thread along the lines of "what are you afraid of" or "what do you hate", I posted something like:

"I've got four words for you. B. U. G. S."

to which you responded

"Those are letters, not words."

I guess I was sensitive about my grammar and I decided that clearly you hated me, had it out for me, and I think I responded like "I was TRYING to be funny, GOSH"

Idk why but I still remember thinking that you hated me?? why was I so easily offended??

Ahh I remember being a frequent poster in CPA and I had like no friends on the forums so I just randomly "glomped" people in an attempt to socialize.

Ffs I've humiliated myself so much on this website but I keep coming back.

Edited by glamoursea2

I feel you. I lost all my names and was like... "nah they'll be ok without them now".

Tbh it's funny coming back here and seeing a nostalgia thread considering I remember the dreaded "fog".

I joined when I was almost twelve, I'm seventeen now. I was also quite cringe-worthy. I thought I was so mature yet I was very much in my "I'm so random" phase. Oh god, dark times.

I've been posting on these forums throughout my most formative adolescent years...I'm afraid of what I might find if I read through my oldest posts. Heck, I'm embarassed by the stuff I posted a year ago, let alone five years ago.

Qwackie, in the name of nostalgia, I have to bring up an interaction between the two of us that I still remember to this day. In a thread along the lines of "what are you afraid of" or "what do you hate", I posted something like:

"I've got four words for you. B. U. G. S."

to which you responded

"Those are letters, not words."

I guess I was sensitive about my grammar and I decided that clearly you hated me, had it out for me, and I think I responded like "I was TRYING to be funny, GOSH"

Idk why but I still remember thinking that you hated me?? why was I so easily offended??

Ahh I remember being a frequent poster in CPA and I had like no friends on the forums so I just randomly "glomped" people in an attempt to socialize.

Ffs I've humiliated myself so much on this website but I keep coming back.

Gosh I don't even remember that hahah. I didn't hate you though hahahah, I was probably just messing around.

Oh god, I had my annoying random phase on this forum too. I remember saying stuff like "i ish ebil" oh god oh god nooooooo.

I also went through my edgy emo/scene phase as a member of this forum, and my weird goth phase. Gahhhhhhhh. So embarrassing.

I joined this site around 2010(i was 12 or 13) but i never got into it till now because i didnt get how the game works till now (im 17).i started this game because i like the graphics of the dragons and it seems nice and retro.this game is really cool and i enjoy collecting all the dragons like a game of pokemon.ive got like 78 dragons now.

I also emulate game sometimes when im feeling nostalgic

Some nostalgic songs... ..hmmm....all Christmas songs,you had a bad day,suddenly i see,shut up and drive.

Yop is the most nostalgic drink for me.

My most nostalgic consoles are the psone,gameboy advance,ps2 and original xbox and psp

P.s.i kind of wrote this list in a rush

Gosh I don't even remember that hahah. I didn't hate you though hahahah, I was probably just messing around.

Oh god, I had my annoying random phase on this forum too. I remember saying stuff like "i ish ebil" oh god oh god nooooooo.

I also went through my edgy emo/scene phase as a member of this forum, and my weird goth phase. Gahhhhhhhh. So embarrassing.

Oh gosh, I die a little on the inside every single time I stumble across one of my ugly little posts from more than a year ago. I recall joining the forum and having NO idea how anything worked for the longest time, and I'm confident I stood out as 'that annoying newbie' to so many! And naturally there was my random phase. The overuse of emoticons. The phase where I thought everything I did sucked and I couldn't take critism on my work because it sucked and this thing called 'concrit' would never be the help it was made out to be because I sucked.

Dark times, they were.

The latter point in particular, I'm so thankful to have been proven wrong once I actually started taking some of it on board.

Speaking of nostalgia, lately I have been looking back at some of my ancient artworks from late 2012 and on to about mid 2014. It delights me seeing how some of the creatures I created evolved, from things like a creature with too many limbs and all the spiky bits and a frill thrown on to an actual skeleton sculpture that some knowledgeable folks have told me looks functional and a legitimate design (!!!). I used to work entirely in graphite pencil. Then I decided it 'didn't look photorealistic enough' (ah, my perfectionist younger self) and eventually stumbled across a 'solution' in the way of pastel pencils. Fast forward a few years and I'm back to graphite - drawing things that actually do come across as somewhat photorealistic even now that I take shortcuts that clearly show off the pencil-ly nature of the medium.

And I've accepted that art doesn't need to look like a photo.

The memories of being so thrilled over pulling off a three-quarter angle of a simple dragon's head (it was barely more than a slightly altered profile haha). If I could go back in time to that point to inform myself that, eventually, I would be drawing complex, fully-shaded beasts with accurate anatomy in a myriad of poses at angles more complex than a mere three-quarter, I'd probably have saved myself a LOT of teenage angst. If I believed myself.

I can only imagine what things will be like in another few years.

--Oh yeah, forgot to mention the username I came up with for these forums. At least it led to my much preferred alias RWyvern.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

--Oh yeah, forgot to mention the username I came up with for these forums. At least it led to my much preferred alias RWyvern.

Ah yes, this wonderful username I created at eleven years old. I am so fond of it. Not.

'glamoursea' doesn't even mean anything. It's nonsense. It sounds stupid. I have no clue why I picked the word 'glamour' - that word is nothing to me, I'm not glamorous. Honestly wtf.

Even better, I made the forum account not realizing that your forum username could be the same as your scroll name. I thought "Well, my scroll name is glamoursea, so I can't reuse it for the forums...let's just add a 2!"

~

I do have some positive nostalgic feelings for this website. It wasn't all emo/random phases and "glomping" and thinking that horribly messy/inbred lineages were "really nice".

I was part of CPA for a while, though I never quite returned to it after my first long hiatus a couple of years ago. I made some friends and idk it was just nice having little forum buddies, sharing inside jokes and whatnot =P Most of them are gone now though. I still have dragons named after them, lol.

Nostalgia?

Welp, I'm not one to talk, being a kid. But I played some gameboy games, so

When I faced Suicune in Omega Ruby, it was playing classic gameboy music. Gameboy-style sounds and everything. It felt so strangely nostalgic. Same for Raiku and Entei. It was so weird.

I was a boss at SoulSilver when I had it- I still want that game back. So seeing those three again brought a warm feeling to my chest. I miss SoulSilver

Remember when you bought a game, and you didn't have to sit through all those painful updates just to start it up for the first time?

Remember when games didn't demand you to be connected to the internet just so you can access certain offline parts of the game?

Remember when you could talk to someone about what they like to play, and not hear about how awesome they are t a particular MOBA I am sick and tired of? "I'm Diamond league dude! Hurkadhurkaduuuur!"

But at least we have glorious Steam and the great and powerful Gaben to lead us out of the darkness of overpriced as censorkip.gif physical copies of digital media, and into the haven of affordable and easily manageable digital downloads. (ツ)

Edited by Ælex

Oh man. The absolute number one nostalgia moment for me isn't even a thing, but rather, a scent.

Pokemon cards.

The smell of a brand new pack of cards brings me right back to the time when I was 6 and overly excited about buying a pack.

So now I occasionally purchase a pack, more for that nostalgia blast more than anything else (although pulling EXs and rare cards is fun too tongue.gif).

~~~~

DC related, I joined when I was only 11. I'm 16 now. I remember trading on the IRC via dropping eggs into the AP--what a mess that was, haha. xd.png

And I remember when I didn't understand lineages, and just didn't care. And when I thought that the trio dragons were like, the most valuable things in existence... laugh.gif

Edited by xxBurningxx

Usernames. I cringe. My first ever email was "radigurl". Like, radical girl. Omg how I look back and cringe!

Game-wise, I got into DC after seeing a few eggs in a friend's sig on a writing forum. .... And then I got way more into it then she was, and I started recruiting people from that forum. For like a year we all played DC, in varying degrees. I'm the only one from that group that still plays. Back then I raised my dragons exclusively in a LiveJournal adoptables group. They got all the stats needed there. I wonder if that group is even still around (I'm not on LJ anymore).

Well, I was just looking old threads as being nostalgic in these days and found this thread.

Recently hooked in old flash games which especially made from this place. I remember most flash games were written English after certain point so those were less nostalgic for me. As you know, Adobe flash was removed from latest system but archived ones are still playable with emulation.

I am old enough to remember the green screen computers. Even when colored screens came out my family refused to get a decent computer so I was stuck with something so basic. But there is this one game I absolutely loved and would still play it if I could. Anyone play/remember "The Lost Crown of Queen Anne"? To this day I still think it is awesome!

15 years ago I created my original character Shakura Kazuki and still love him like a son. I'm also playing Sacred right now, the game his name came from. Good old times with Starcraft I, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Zoo Tycoon, Sims 1 and all the old games from around the year 2000.  Ah, the times I played Pokemon Blue under my bed sheet and nightlight after bed time on my Gameboy Color.

Can't believe 2009 was 13 years ago. it is unbelievable that the concept of these adoptable sites can run for so long. I have been checking Dragoncave and Magistream daily ever since I registered. I miss Valenth, but FlightRising was a good replacement and I am thankful for it.

Edited by Shakura Kazuki