Snowwall

Auto-fog

Sometimes one is likely to be offline for a period of time, unable to check on one's eggs. Hatcheries can help with the problem of too few views, but they also pose the danger of overfeeding, especially in the first day.

Getting shells because you wanted to safeguard the eggs during exam period (when forgetfulness is at its highest) is very disheartening. As such, could I suggest a profile option to fog sick eggs/hatchies automatically?

It should be optional and off-able because low-time eggs/hatchies are in more danger from fogging than from sickness (especially in ND experiments). It could be a "one day and younger" thing or a "critically ill" thing (I can't think of other useful variations at the moment).

The intent is not to abolish sickness altogether. The point is to have a safety net for the rare cases of changed curcumstances, without using the idea of a per-egg BSA - since it would only be used if you expected trouble, while I'm talking about unexpected overfeeding. I'm open to suggestions about avoiding overuse (any ideas except long cooldowns? I'm at a loss).

Another option, besides prevention, is cure - but "Recalling dragons who escaped their eggs and ran off into the wild" (aka "egg revive") is a different suggestion and I haven't found the rules on max number of things I can throw at the suggestions forums simultaneouosly. Besides, there are two BSAs at the "Proposed BSAs" thread.

Edited by Snowwall

I support this as long as there would be a turn off option.

I spam hatch all my eggs as soon as they reach 3 days 23 hours and all of them get sick because of it ~ rolleyes.gif

So if sick eggs are auto-fogged thennn what's the point of eggs ever getting sick? Might as well remove the feature altogether. However, soft shell sickness is a part of gameplay that I don't foresee being removed.

Best thing to do to avoid sickness is not to enter your eggs in any hatcheries within the first day of them being caught (from the cave, not the AP). I consider the safe zone to be anything less than about 6 days 10 hours.

So if sick eggs are auto-fogged thennn what's the point of eggs ever getting sick? Might as well remove the feature altogether. However, soft shell sickness is a part of gameplay that I don't foresee being removed.

This, rather. Sickness is there to encourage us to look after things.

I'd prefer one of the BSA options, myself. If you use a bit of care when you know you will be busy (pick 1 fansite with auto-ER options, put your eggs in as soon as you get em, and let em roll), then even if you forget you'll be ok.

The only time I wish I was able to protect an egg are those very rare / very important eggs that are likely to get view-bombed. And for those, a BSA works perfect. I am one of those who realized long ago that a little sickness when close to hatching won't hurt the egg. tongue.gif

Cheers!

C4.

Best thing to do to avoid sickness is not to enter your eggs in any hatcheries within the first day of them being caught (from the cave, not the AP). I consider the safe zone to be anything less than about 6 days 10 hours.

Well, one point of sickness is in Zombie experiments... To avoid it being "too easy" is why I suggest a time- or a health-specific limit on it.

While it is my usual way, to keep an eye on eggs for about two days without dumping them into hatcheries at first sight, this particular quartet was picked up the day before a hard exam and I didn't dare rely on memory. It's not always that we're perfect, right? Safety nets could really help biggrin.gif

Or would people rather have a BSA for it than an "out-of-character" setting? There are a few, I gather...

Well, one point of sickness is in Zombie experiments...

Pardon ? I have no idea what you mean here.

I'm not particularly in favor of this suggestion, it defeats the whole point of why there is sickness. I'd prefer a heal BSA, or changing how sickness works - someone suggested that sickness could increase the time an egg takes until it hatches instead of killing it, which I also support.

Sickness and zombie experiments maybe refers to killing hatchies of sickness to avoid the kill limit? Though letting them run out of time is much easier.

As fuzz said, sickness exists to encourage users to look after their eggs, learn when the best time to bomb them with views is, and keep track of them so they hatch right. This option would simply defeat that purpose and it would be a set it and forget it.

The issue also arises that, lets say this is implemented, the scroll detects a few eggs that are sick, hides them automatically for 24 hours then removes the fog. The eggs are at 5 days x hours and you wont be able to check your scroll for about a week or so due to finals/homework/family issues/etc, who will put your eggs back in the hatcheries once they are unfogged? Most hatcheries remove eggs that are fogged from their system because they take up space for something that wont be receiving any views. The only hatchery I know doesn't do that is egg drop soup. So unless you only frequent that hatchery every other site will remove your eggs and your eggs risk dying. So then what do you do then? The scroll cant readd them to the sites, you have to do that. If you can't and forget to check on them then they die either way.

Personally I would say if you are afraid of sickness, try to figure out the best time to put eggs/hatchies into hatcheries. This is a game of trial and error in most things and you will not learn how to properly deal with these things if you create an option that does the work for you.

While this would be pretty helpful in reducing stress for valuable eggs while you're away from the internet I think it would be more balanced as a BSA than a general scroll setting.

I think they meant neglected experiments?

Anyway, I am more concerned about view bombing, especially of trade eggs. If you put an egg in a lower view hatchery like Valley of Sherwood or Evina's DragHatch, it's very unlikely they will get ill unless you have a viewbomber. I put them in there then don't put them in a busier hatchery until they are 5 days or under. You can also just wait until they are under 4 days and practicallyinsta-hatch them by putting them into every ER. The only ones that take more time are golds, silvers, avatars, and prizes. Anything else hatches pretty easily and quickly in ERs.

Sickness and zombie experiments maybe refers to killing hatchies of sickness to avoid the kill limit? Though letting them run out of time is much easier.

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't use either, but I guess sickness is much quicker...

BSAs are good for rare eggs, to protect them against viewbombing. They also work for WoLfgIrLyS spam-hatch techniques ;) However, they would be more of "protection against expected trouble".

This is about guarding against "once in a blue moon" unexpected stuffups - when a hatcherie algorithm has changed, when someone decided to viewbomb you for no particular reason, generally, when one didn't expect anything untorward to happen. In which case, buying some time (for example, by fog) until the owner can sort things out would be very useful.

Edited by Snowwall

I don't think autofogging eggs should be an option. As stated already, there wouldn't be any point to dragons getting sick at all if there's no risk. I'd rather know that I'm doing my part to keep my babies safe, because every successfully hatched egg, and every successfully grown up hatchie, is proof that I did a good job, especially if it's a rare or hard to get dragon.

As for not being around, if I have something on my scroll I'm very nervous about, I usually fog it when I can't be online for more than a few hours, such as when I'm sleeping. Several times in the past, I've fogged an egg overnight, even if it's within a few hours of hatching, and just hatched it in the morning when I wake up. I also have a job that's 12 hour shifts and can't check my phone at work, so I often fog my eggs during that too.

I do understand the whole 'forgetting during exams' thing, but I think just as bad is forgetting you fogged an egg. Only once did I unfog an egg only to find out I messed up the timing and it ran out of time when fogged, and hatched dead; but once was enough.

So.... I'd have to say no support on this. It's simply taking away personal responsibility. Checking your scroll for 5 minutes before bed isn't that troublesome, and fogging for a few hours doesn't hurt either.

I can definitely understand why you would want something like this, but I don't think auto-fog is a solution to the problem.

A feature like auto-fog would be too easy to abuse. If I'm understanding this suggestion right, I would be able to turn auto-fog on, and then just leave it on forever. I would never have to worry about sickness again. The amount of interaction we have to do with our dragons is already so minimal, I don't think it would be a good idea to make it even more minimal by essentially making sickness optional.

I could probably support this if the auto-fog feature had a major cooldown (such as, the feature lasts for a week after it is turned on, but then you can only use it once or twice a year- cooldown would reset on Jan. 1st) and/or was only available during certain times of the year (such as around holidays).

Otherwise, I don't support.

Edited by Windnose

I'd rather have the option to hide all my eggs and hatchlings, leaving my adults visible. I don't think this would help me, ever.

I use fog all the time, but lost a number of eggs and hatchling earlier this year because they ran out of time while they were fogged and I couldn't get to them. Fogging can be a saviour or a killer, depending on the situation.

No on auto-fogging.

I'd rather have the option to hide all my eggs and hatchlings, leaving my adults visible. I don't think this would help me, ever.

I use fog all the time, but lost a number of eggs and hatchling earlier this year because they ran out of time while they were fogged and I couldn't get to them. Fogging can be a saviour or a killer, depending on the situation.

No on auto-fogging.

Very much this. WE have asked over and over for the hide growing things option - just as we have that option for adults. I can't see the need to hide adults, but growing things - OH yes !

I just don't see this. This is, in my eyes, yet another suggestion of the mechanics playing the game for us. Sickness is a *part* of this game. Sickness is, actually, one of the only things keeping people from just shoving 7-day eggs into fansites and forgetting about them (and some people do that anyways).

I think this game is about raising dragons. Raising means being responsible for. Being responsible for does not mean the game auto-fogs. It means you check your eggs, or simply *don't get eggs* when you know you can't check them.

I'm sorry, no support.

Tho I'd totally support a "hide all living things".

Might as well remove sickness entirely if sick eggs are just going to auto-fog. No support from me.

As others have said, I think a BSA is a better way to approach this. I'd be more willing to support anything from a Guard/Protect to a Heal.

Tbh, with all the viewbombing attempts I keep hearing about, I'm totally all for reworking how sickness works. I think an optional autofog is one possible solution.. I think you should be the one to unfog, though - no autounfog. Otherwise, the game is really doing everything for you. xP