FlameWingzz

Never mind, Spritelings were a bad idea.

Now, if you really want it to catch on, I suggest you start a Breeding Lineage project in the Breeding section, that involves descendents of Spriter Alts. Call it the "Spritling Project" or something. IF..... and I say IF! the project catches on in the Breeding section, then the term may.... MAY.... start to spread, and come into common use. Just like Dorkface did, and the Fifth Element, and other lineage projects which have entered the general lexicon of the userbase.

A breeding project with spriters' alts actually sounds interesting smile.gif I don't think we have a place yet that's dedicated to swapping spriter's alts offspring?

And if you feel really creative, think about these suggestions you got:

I do like the term 'spriteling' and I could totally see it being a new fairy like Pygmy type dragon. So you should totally go to suggestions (or anyone else can go) and totally start designing up some cuteness!

Honestly rather than trying to spread the term, I'd recommend you come up with a really cute dragon concept called a spriteling and submit it. It'd be fine within DC lore because "sprite" can also mean a certain type of fairy. tongue.gif

Spriteling still is a cute word smile.gif And as others have pointed out, it could be a cute name for a lineage project, or even for a cute new dragon concept.

Edited by Ha-Ki

Altkin works better for me. ...ling as a suffix suggests a child - like hatchling and so on.

But I actually prefer not to collect new terms that don't grow organically. Tinselkin and prizekin and so on grew organically from people not liking tinselfail as a term - they happened all by themselves for a reason. If you want to try for this - start a thread in breeding - as others have suggested - and call them all spritelings or whatever you want - if it catches on THEN it will feel much more legit. "Want a better name" doesn't cut it, for me.

I think Fi's shadows had it about right:

Well, it's a cute term.

"What do you guys think? Wanna be called spritelings?" Fiona polls her herd of Shadow Walkers. Much chuckling ensues while they polish off the latest batch of pumpkin pies.

They seem to be ambivalent. I guess we'll see if it catches on.

It's up to the alts to decide their names ! All we can do is try naming a few and see what they do about it !

ETA but I just snagged the awesome suggestion by Nine from the last thread: Spurgloistling. It won't stay with the guy who is holding it now - but it will stay on my scroll. Thanks for that xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

i'm sorry about you receiving all this negative criticism but in my opinion, spritelings or altsprings is a cute term! biggrin.gif

Altkin sounds like it would fit in perfectly because we already have things like Prizekin (non prize dragons descending of a prizeline), Tinslekin (a non prize dragon descendant of a Tinsel Dragon line), and Shimmerkin (a non prize dragon descendant of a Shimmer Dragon line).

I agree with this, Altkin really sounds better.

Alright, I'll remember that next time I want a thread to be cleared. ^-^

Also, I see what you mean about how I'd need to explain the word. Maybe I'll change it. Off the top of my head, I just came up with "Spralt", but that word doesn't explain itself either.

Hmm... Oh wait! *lightbulb*

This one time, my friends looked up a ship name maker and made us a ship name to tease me and my boyfriend. I could use that to combine the words Sprite and Alt! Just a second...

So far, I've got "DescendAlt" which is the words alt and descendant combined..

Ok, ditched the ship maker idea. I'm going to do some research on combining words effectively.

I've got it! "Altspring", combining the words offspring and alt. Does this clearly explain itself as being a descendant of a spriter's alt? (I'm asking everyone, by the way, so feel free to respond. I'm actually going to get rid of the spriteling idea altogether, and I'm going to delete the first post about the whole thing. Consider this thread closed except to tell me what you guys think about "Altspring".)

I'm sorry, I really just feel like you're trying too hard for this. It's great that you're trying to contribute to the community, but, you're trying (very desperately) it seems to change something that everyone was fine with. Personally, I think 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

There's no need to go and try to change everything we've done. That would be like me saying 'Hello, everyone! Cups will now be called tables, and tables will now be called cups!' Not only does it make no sense, it's a little confusing, too.

With all due respect, Flamewingzzz, I think this should just be personal terminology for yourself to use and maybe if you become a more notable member of the community, then it will catch on.

But, people are catching on the Altkin, and I kinda like it too. It just might be hard to reset myself to say Altkin instead of Spriter's alt.

I'll probably use Altkin myself - it fits in more with our other naming conventions. happy.gif

It "fits" but every time I see it written I see Atkin's diet. And it's not pretty or cute. I'd have no reason to use it except to not use one of the other terms. I'd agree on the Spriteling lineage, that sounds like a good surname and could be cute.

It doesnt have to be "pretty" or "cute" to be understood and useful. Spritelings just doesnt seem natural or to fit in to DC in my opinion, its an odd term that doesnt accuratey represent what they are labeling which is spriter alts.

For referring to Spriter's alt descendents, I have to agree that 'Spritelings' wasn't a very intuitive term. It sounds like a pygmy breed (potentially adorable ones). 'Altspring' isn't clear either - I immediately though of Spring dragons and couldn't imagine what was alt about them. Altkin is pretty self-explanatory in DC's common jargon, so it may start to appear outside the thread.

I'm not that familiar with discussing about spriter's alts because I have like one offspring, but what's wrong with original term SA? I'd say it's short enough and easy to understand if you already know words spriter and alt. And if you want to be specific that you're talking about descendants, just SA desc or SAD (well maybe too sad) but I don't see anything wrong with the old terms.

Edited by kammo

I'm not that familiar with discussing about spriter's alts because I have like one offspring, but what's wrong with original term SA? I'd say it's short enough and easy to understand if you already know words spriter and alt. And if you want to be specific that you're talking about descendants, just SA desc or SAD (well maybe too sad) but I don't see anything wrong with the old terms.

I can see how it might be a little confusing, especially around the holidays - SA is also used as an abbreviation for Snow Angel. happy.gif

Yeah whenever I see SA the first thing that comes to mind is snow angel. Not spriters alt. I think altkin is the best (at least for me) and will be using that for now on.

Spritling.......doesn't seem very well thought out imo. Like you just thought it up on a whim and didn't give any other thought then that. Plus your presentation was very......bullying. You didn't give us any other options and was just basically spritlings needs to be used by everyone NOW .

Plus spritling doesn't seem very dragonlike. What comes to mind for me is a little baby fairy. I suppose it is possible to make a dragon called spritling?