FlameWingzz

Never mind, Spritelings were a bad idea.

Look, I just feel a little stupid for what I was trying to do. I have however created a different name: "Altspring". (Alt and Offspring) I'm not making it as big of a deal as last time, though. I apologize for all the trouble earlier and I'll try not to do something like that again.

-FlameWingzz

Edited by FlameWingzz

Umm, people have already discussed the term a lot in the old thread, why not continue to discuss there?

This is really unnecessary.

I agree with you u.u

While I don't think the term itself is ugly (in fact, sounds pretty cute to me), I believe all this thing was uncalled for.

I really don't feel comfortable with the terminology you're exposing because I really feel like you're imposing it to everyone here. I've read your messages and I feel like you're demanding and you're forcing this to happen, even if most of the community doesn't seem to agree with you.

You keep saying that you researched and became nerdy and already know more about DC than most of people that have been here for about 2 or 3 months, but they have more personal experience than you, and you also have people here that have been around for more than five years.

I have been in DC for about 3 years, and less than a year in the forums, but I try to be active and participate, so I'm pretty sure there are other ways to join the community.

I'm not sure if this is what's happening, but it seems like it's... Anyway, I understand the need of drawing atention to onself and not wanting to be invisible in a community like this, but I think it's not so bad being anonymous in some sort of way. I think there are other good ways to get to know people here and to be noticed by them as well. There are tons of nice gifting threads where you can start participating and eventually became a memorable name for being kind with people there. You can also stop by suggestions threads and discuss, as well as going around dragon requests and offer your help in any way you can think about.

I'm really not trying to be cruel in any way... But I think I should say things like they are, because sometimes in life, we lack of people to tell us things this way, we end up having bullies and people that mocks about our ideas or people that sugarcoat every single thing so we don't get hurt. Sometimes, we need a dose of reality.

And I'm really, really sorry if anyone get offended by my words, I really don't want to be mean, I just won't sweeten things that doesn't need to be sweetened, after all, this is not so crucial, we're all just discussing stuff.

Edited by Ylvanne

While the word is cute, I don't think it's going to catch on because you can't make an instinctive connection between the term and spriter's alts. CB = caveborn, ND = Neglected, EG = Even Gen, Spriteling = ???. Everything on DC is a sprite, so there's no natural connection between spriteling and spriter's alts in particular.

Honestly rather than trying to spread the term, I'd recommend you come up with a really cute dragon concept called a spriteling and submit it. It'd be fine within DC lore because "sprite" can also mean a certain type of fairy. tongue.gif

I feel like people are opposing the suggestion as a means of punishing the new person for speaking out of turn, rather than the merit of the suggestion. Which is a shame, as most people agreed it's cute.

Look, everyone, the reason I moved the thread in the first place was to start over, since I've learned from my past mistakes, but all of you are doing the exact same thing I didn't want you to do: criticise and tell me that the word spriteling is weird and won't be accepted by the community. It is simply just a SUGGESTION for a NAME, for crying out loud. I may have made some mistakes, like editing the wiki for example, but that doesn't mean you should continue to treat me this way after those mistakes were corrected. It says in the rules:

Use Constructive Criticism

When someone posts their art or other types of creation, they generally do not want it insulted or put down. If you do not like a work, post how you feel it could be better; Offer suggestions for improvement, but do not insult the creative works of others.

Now some of you have followed this rule and suggested ways to improve this, and I thank you for that, but others have not been so kind.

Look, I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T express your opinion. My point is, everything regarding the changing of the wiki and the fact that I'm not a pro on DC or anything like that is not relevant to this topic anymore, since most of you have already mentioned that on the old thread and even here. I get it, you think i can't just make something up and say it's the new name because I don't have enough DC experience. First of all, it's not the new name, it's a suggestion for one. Second of all, I do admit I am still new to the game, but that doesn't mean I can't make suggestions.

I feel like people are opposing the suggestion as a means of punishing the new person for speaking out of turn, rather than the merit of the suggestion. Which is a shame, as most people agreed it's cute.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. You are one of the only people so far that support me here. *hugs*

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I'm not saying that you shouldn't make suggestions or post ideas, but I am saying that these kind of suggestions would best wait till you actually have more experience here. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm disagreeing with for the sake of pride. But this idea really doesn't have much of any merit. Yeah, it's cute. But we have a term that works. As most people have posted, we already have a term, and it's much more usable than 'Spritlings'. I'm sorry, but I just don't think this idea will go very far. It's a cute idea, but, pretty redundant.

I think you're taking this too personally FlameWingzz smile.gif

People are making the same criticisms as the past thread because not much of your intro post has changed. Your introduction comes across as being forceful to people, hence the responses. You're not saying "Guys, I have a suggestion for a new term", you're saying "Spritelings is a new term and Spriter's Alts should now be called Spritelings!". Instead of asking people for their opinion, you're saying that "We can still make Spriteling the official name if we work hard enough!"

Despite the fact that you keep telling people this was a suggestion, nothing in your initial post makes it sound like it was proposed as a suggestion. You never asked for people's opinions, or for their constructive criticism or even what they think about the topic or asking them to discuss the topic. You went straight to "This is x and y and let's make it happen!". On top of this, you didn't like the comments on your first thread so you re-created another as a "fresh start" which is better known as a duplicate topic.

I know I'm being harsh but I hope I can make you see things from our point of view, and why so many people are saying and repeating the same things. You may have tried to present this to us as a new suggestion, but you came across and presented it as a forced term that we need to accept instead. I'm hoping you can take all this advice and be able to present your future ideas in better ways, that they may be accepted by the community in the future.

On a different side note, did you check the artist's permission thread before making banners with Spriter's Alts on them? I know a lot of artists consider their SA sprites to be personal, and some may not give permission for them to be used in banners like you have used them. Might be worth checking out smile.gif

Please don't just post new versions of threads. If need be, mods can wipe threads, etc. At least PM us first to discuss options - the old thread had a lot of pages and is a bummer to just repost, which can be confusing. ^^

As well - and this goes to everybody - if a user is breaking rules, please just report them so a moderator can take care of it. There's a report button in the upper right of all posts, near the quote button. Mods have the tools and authority to deal when rules are broken.

~

I agree that a lot of people are rejecting the word because there's no choice in this thread (aside from just not posting) and it's by a relatively unknown/new user. I do think this would have gone over much better if it'd followed suit of the drake/pygmy/2head thread and opened up to the community to suggest names, with spritelings being suggested by the OP. ^^

As for the name itself, it's cute, but it makes me think of a half-finished sprite. =p I think spriter's alt gets the concept across just fine. Yes, if spritelings caught on, then spritelings would bring to mind spriter's alts. I am not opposed to a new word, but spriter's alts is already pretty engrained in the community, so changing that now would be a difficult task. Any time anybody used it, it would need explained until it was finally clear - making trade posts and breed posts longer as people explained they were using spriteling instead of spriter's alt. As well, one of the reasons name suggestions for the drake/pygmy/2head groups were brought up is because that's a large group and a mouthful to say. Spriter's alts describe one small group clearly, so there isn't as much of a need for another name. I think if you do want to suggest a new name, something that gets across the meaning of the word as clearly (without having to explain every single time you used it) as spriter's alt is going to be necessary. Which, in my uncreative-brain-right-now, is going to be hard, since it'll probably involve including "spriter" and "alt" in the word, which isn't going to be as cute. Sorry. =X

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

My opinion on the matter, thing I already said, is that a new terminology is unnecesary. On my behalf, I really don't think we need it because SA is short enough, and Dorkfaces as well as Thuweds have a name because that's the naming scheme rather than a specific kind.

If we're going to use a name for SA, I'd prefer Altkins, like Prizekins and stuff. It would, off course, not only refer to spriter's alts, but regular alts too. After all, I'm against giving an excessive categorization to things. But off course, that's a personal opinion and that goes for everything in the world to me. I actually believe that science have gone too far by giving a single category for every single organism in the world: we have divisions for number of feet, type of hearing, way of walking, way of feeding, eyes position, breathing type, mycrobiology composition, etc. And every single one of those categories divide in smaller ones and so on xd.png

Off course, I'm not saying we've come to this kind of point here, but I'd like to keep things simple smile.gif

I'd like to add that I won't apologize for what I said, sadly. I know I might sound rough, but as I said, I didn't mean to be cruel at all.

I think that ideas are not only made of the idea itself, but the attitude and way they're presented. I do not agree with Maquiavelo, the end doesn't justify the ways for me.

And the reasons why I said what I said in my last post are there as well. I don't think you should ignore things you don't like just because you don't want to hurt people feelings. If you think things are wrong, you should be able to tell that person without being called abusive or rude. Off course, they are ways of telling people things. You shouldn't laugh down about an idea, call someone stupid, or just yell because you don't like it, but you should be able to discuss your point and give other options, as well as point what you think is wrong and what could be better. That's constructive criticism and that's what I was doing. I gave my perception and then gave some options you could use instead of doing what I was perceiving you were doing. Off course, my perception can be wrong, but that's why I said I wasn't sure. However, I don't think just letting things pass is an option. I should be able to speak up, even if I make a mistake. I'm pretty sure I can always correct things and keep with the conversation. Same as you, right?

What we have to understand about constructive criticism is that, sometimes, there are no alternatives or ways to improve and idea if the idea in itself is not considered good. That doesn't mean people should shut their mouths when they digress. As long as things are kept with respect, opinions concerning an idea should be welcome, whether positive or negative. That's constructive criticism too, and the Suggestions and Requests part of DC is full of them.

As I stated in the other thread (splitting it was unnecesary), we already have a name for spriter alts. Spriter Alts. Spriter Alt descendant is a good enough name, SA Descendant, make your choice. It just happened naturally, the way languages evolve and aquire different words into it. We don't need another name, and deffinitely not one that is imposed. So I can't say any way to improve this suggestion because, in itself, I don't consider it neccesary at all.

I agree with everything said before. I've been on DC for a long time, Over 5 years, and I wouldn't presume that MY terminology is the best nor force anyone else to use it. Since every dragon is a 'sprite' the term 'spriteling' makes me think of the hatchling sprites. To connect them to the actually spriter alts you need a term like 'SA kin' or 'SA desc(endant)' I prefer 'SA desc' myself. It lets every one know that the dragon in question is descended from a spriter's alt.

I do like the term 'spriteling' and I could totally see it being a new fairy like Pygmy type dragon. So you should totally go to suggestions (or anyone else can go) and totally start designing up some cuteness!

Hi, FlameWingzz! smile.gif

The name is cute, but when people adopt nicknames for things, it's generally sort of an organic thing - somebody uses a term, it catches on and spreads from there.

This shouldn't be a seniority issue, but unfortunately new people often do come here and, even if with the best of intentions, make suggestions which may have worked well elsewhere but perhaps not fit the DC ethos, which is where experience/a general understanding of the site actually does play a role.

Here, the term 'sprite' is a common reference, so it has a different context than it might elsewhere - and, as has been pointed out, being urged into a change in terminology in a manner apparently assuming compliance is likely to rub people the wrong way.

So I'll repeat what others have mentioned, that any negative response is likely due to presentation and nothing personal.

Suggestions are welcomed and discussion is great, but people will express their opinions as well, ideally politely and in a non-hurtful fashion, and since such things as nicknames of this nature are generally adopted by the site on a more spontaneous manner, this type of approach is likely to take people by surprise and possibly raise concerns, as I seem to recall being mentioned above, about people adopting a more bullying attitude where they feel changes are desired. smile.gif

Please don't just post new versions of threads. If need be, mods can wipe threads, etc. At least PM us first to discuss options - the old thread had a lot of pages and is a bummer to just repost, which can be confusing. ^^

As well - and this goes to everybody - if a user is breaking rules, please just report them so a moderator can take care of it. There's a report button in the upper right of all posts, near the quote button. Mods have the tools and authority to deal when rules are broken.

~

I agree that a lot of people are rejecting the word because there's no choice in this thread (aside from just not posting) and it's by a relatively unknown/new user. I do think this would have gone over much better if it'd followed suit of the drake/pygmy/2head thread and opened up to the community to suggest names, with spritelings being suggested by the OP. ^^

As for the name itself, it's cute, but it makes me think of a half-finished sprite. =p I think spriter's alt gets the concept across just fine. Yes, if spritelings caught on, then spritelings would bring to mind spriter's alts. I am not opposed to a new word, but spriter's alts is already pretty engrained in the community, so changing that now would be a difficult task. Any time anybody used it, it would need explained until it was finally clear - making trade posts and breed posts longer as people explained they were using spriteling instead of spriter's alt. As well, one of the reasons name suggestions for the drake/pygmy/2head groups were brought up is because that's a large group and a mouthful to say. Spriter's alts describe one small group clearly, so there isn't as much of a need for another name. I think if you do want to suggest a new name, something that gets across the meaning of the word as clearly (without having to explain every single time you used it) as spriter's alt is going to be necessary. Which, in my uncreative-brain-right-now, is going to be hard, since it'll probably involve including "spriter" and "alt" in the word, which isn't going to be as cute. Sorry. =X

Alright, I'll remember that next time I want a thread to be cleared. ^-^

Also, I see what you mean about how I'd need to explain the word. Maybe I'll change it. Off the top of my head, I just came up with "Spralt", but that word doesn't explain itself either.

Hmm... Oh wait! *lightbulb*

This one time, my friends looked up a ship name maker and made us a ship name to tease me and my boyfriend. I could use that to combine the words Sprite and Alt! Just a second...

So far, I've got "DescendAlt" which is the words alt and descendant combined..

Ok, ditched the ship maker idea. I'm going to do some research on combining words effectively.

I've got it! "Altspring", combining the words offspring and alt. Does this clearly explain itself as being a descendant of a spriter's alt? (I'm asking everyone, by the way, so feel free to respond. I'm actually going to get rid of the spriteling idea altogether, and I'm going to delete the first post about the whole thing. Consider this thread closed except to tell me what you guys think about "Altspring".)

Spritelings make me think of baby fairies, or maybe baby dragons. I see no connection to descendents of Spriter Alts.

And while "Spriter's Alt ancestry" and such might seem cumbersome and not-cute, its been around for *years*. The chances of changing that are..... slim to none, unless the name gives a very strong connection to the concept. Which.... This doesn't.

So no, I won't be calling descendents of Spriter's Alts "Spritelings", because no one I try to trade them to will understand what I'm talking about unless I explain it.... And words are a premium in trade posts, the more words (rather than pictures), the less chance of getting a trade.

Now, if you really want it to catch on, I suggest you start a Breeding Lineage project in the Breeding section, that involves descendents of Spriter Alts. Call it the "Spritling Project" or something. IF..... and I say IF! the project catches on in the Breeding section, then the term may.... MAY.... start to spread, and come into common use. Just like Dorkface did, and the Fifth Element, and other lineage projects which have entered the general lexicon of the userbase.

But proposing a name and expecting people to adopt it like this is..... Very unlikely to succeed. It has nothing to do with how good the idea is, and nothing to do with how new the user is. It has to do with INERTIA, the resistance of an object to changing its current motion. That goes for people and languages as well as physical objects! People almost always resist change, consciously or unconsciously, preferring the well-trod path to uncharted territory. The current term has too much inertia behind it for a change like this to work... So you have to create a force, gradually over time, to change that inertia.... And the best way to do that is to create a lineage with spriter's alts and hope it gets famous.

Cheers!

C4.

Like Fuzz, I admire your enthusiasm about getting into the DC community and wanting to contribute something. However, I also have to agree with everyone else in that this is not quite the way of going about doing it or building lineage names. You could use "spritling" or "altspring" for your own lineages and breed them and give them out to people in the hopes that they catch on. For example, I've been naming many of my CB dragons with Pwooflestein and only recently someone picked it up because it had that name.

As a note on the new name, altspring sounds like the offspring of a spring and an alt dragon. Or an alternate version of a spring dragon, which would be cool. I think "altkin" is the most appropriate for this situation and it is already partially in use, I believe.

Still, I think this is better suited as a lineage discussion or lineage project rather than a site discussion because it's a bit weird discussing a name that you [are going to and] want everyone else to use. I think C4 summed everything up perfectly for the most part.

Altkin actually works really well, given DC's history and other names in use. smile.gif

CHeers!

C4.

As a seven year old member, I honestly find myself not caring either way. I won't be calling the Spirter's alts either name, to be frank.

I believe Socks suggested this, and I am agreeing that you should ask people instead of announcing such a statement to the world. Then, take all the suggestions, and put it in a poll.

Edited by evangeline5432

As I said in the other thread I like it. But admittedly it only made me think of hatch"lings" unsure.gif

Flame compared to the last thread you've gotten a lot better responses. Most of what has already been said here is constructive criticism. Admittedly a lot of what you did yesterday could have been taken the wrong way (and has) instead of making it look like you were trying to spread awareness.

A) Forced values based on its new terminology

cool.gif Edited into a Wiki

C) Brought this thread up in IRC

D) Making a new thread

I'm not going to start with D because I'm not even sure what just happened and what moves/closes just occurred, but let's just keep that off the discussion.

Look as much as you researched on wiki it's not nearly as great as personal experience and submerging yourself within the community. Yesterday 10% of your posts came from the thread yesterday just from the intro and reserve post and that percentage is undoubtedly higher now. Maybe instead of posting a rather new -- yet cute -- term off the bat maybe you could check around the forums in each area to see which fits you better. That's what I suggest you start off first. For example forum games section is pretty lean back, but I wouldn't suggest you go to the Suggestions forums if you have a light heart. u_u

As far as your other suggestion, "Altspring" it makes me think that the Spring dragon has an alt. That'll be a little more confusing than Spritling, imo. It sounds like you are planning to make another thread for "Altspring" and if so then I suggest you don't. :x As earlier posters said, it's starting to get a little redundant. :s

I believe this would have functioned much more efficiently and would have received a bit less friction if it was introduced as a poll.

Personally, I pretty much stick to my ways when I begin calling dragons something; I stick with it for years. Ex. Pebbles I still call Earth dragons and Grays I still call Fog. Two-headeds I still call Split.

So I'll probably always call SA offspring SA offspring.

I like that you're thinking, though. Keep those creative juices flowing.

I believe more seasoned users do receive more positive reviews on ideas. But that's just because they know how the site functions in terms of popularity of concepts. But sticking around for a couple months can be all you need to be eligible to present neat ideas that would go well with the site.

Just start calling them spritelings in the trade threads (with clarification). If it has potential to catch on, it'll catch on. Even if it doesn't, just do what you do. There's lots of different terminology for different things as it is.

I've got it! "Altspring", combining the words offspring and alt. Does this clearly explain itself as being a descendant of a spriter's alt? (I'm asking everyone, by the way, so feel free to respond. I'm actually going to get rid of the spriteling idea altogether, and I'm going to delete the first post about the whole thing. Consider this thread closed except to tell me what you guys think about "Altspring".)

Altkin actually works really well, given DC's history and other names in use. smile.gif

CHeers!

C4.

Altkin sounds far better than spriteling, decendalt (too punny), or altspring. Those all sounds like attempts of making something sound cute without considering how it directly connects to what its portraying. That's like if I wanted to call cave borns 'Cavies' its cute but honestly does not represent caveborns. Anything can be called a cute name, it doesnt mean it will properly fit in with it.

Altkin sounds like it would fit in perfectly because we already have things like Prizekin (non prize dragons descending of a prizeline), Tinslekin (a non prize dragon descendant of a Tinsel Dragon line), and Shimmerkin (a non prize dragon descendant of a Shimmer Dragon line).

When hoping to have a certain term be adopted somewhere it has to fit in with other terms already in use or with the current trend of the community. Dorkface was adopted because it was started something like a breeding project where people found the back story funny and wanted to have a descendant of that dragon. Thuweds also started as breeding project where TJ breeds his dragons and gives them away to those lucky enough to sign up for one.

Terms like Prizekin, tinselkin, and shimmer kin arose from the fact that these non prize dragons related to prizes are their kin. If you look at the defenition for the word 'kin' you can see why it was adopted so easily and fits in with the type of offspring its describing.

Honestly I feel that some people feel like it could be a bit of an unrequited intrusion from someone who has not been here long enough, does not have any personal experience, and/or is simply not as well versed or known by the community to be presenting terms that would somewhat change the way we've done something for quite a few years now. Personally, I don't care if you've only been part of the DC community for 5 days, if you feel you have a suggestion such as this new term that you feel might fit, by all means go for it.

Just try to keep in mind that terms used to nickname certain breeds, line descendants, or particular actions don't happen out of trying to cutesify something, but out of a need for an accurate but short term for that circumstance. Dorkface arose from the breeding pair that became famous for a quirky backstory, Thuweds are the names of TJ's breeding pairs derived from a fictional language in which Thuwed means "dragon", Prize/Tinsel/Shimmerkin arose from the need to shorten or compress the term Prize/Tinsel/Shimmer descendant/offspring, these terms were not adopted based on how cute they were but on their usefulness and accuracy of what they meant to label.