Obscure_Trash

The Unofficial Advice Thread

Okay, so over the weekend my laptop went through an update like it normally does where it needs to restart itself and yadda yadda. But something was different about this one. I still use Windows 7 because I just like it better. It's always been easy to use so I figure why change it when Windows 10 arrived.

Anyway, I see something pop up in the bottom right corner of my screen saying:

"Windows 7

Build (some number)

This copy is not genuine."

I then get a pop up telling me my Windows is not genuine and may be a counterfeit. I tried to fix it by doing what it said, but then this other pop up appears with main letter text in red telling me to do so with so with a code. which includes putting <something=and then something else> in the correct spot.

I have no idea how coding works. The only knowledge I have with computers is self taught. Throw a bunch of 0's and 1's at me and I'm lost.

I tried restoring my computer to before the update, which it did, but then then the update redid itself.

I have no idea what I did wrong, but I'm stumped.

So, I went to the last resort. I still had a Windows 10 icon in my bottom bar and I clicked on it for the free upgrade which is scheduled for Wednesday night at 11pm.

I don't know if that will fix it, but it's the only other thing I know to try.

Does anyone else know what I can do to fix my Windows 7 so I can keep it, or did I make the right choice and will upgrading to 10 fix it?

Okay, so over the weekend my laptop went through an update like it normally does where it needs to restart itself and yadda yadda. But something was different about this one. I still use Windows 7 because I just like it better. It's always been easy to use so I figure why change it when Windows 10 arrived.

Anyway, I see something pop up in the bottom right corner of my screen saying:

"Windows 7

Build (some number)

This copy is not genuine."

I then get a pop up telling me my Windows is not genuine and may be a counterfeit. I tried to fix it by doing what it said, but then this other pop up appears with main letter text in red telling me to do so with so with a code. which includes putting <something=and then something else> in the correct spot.

I have no idea how coding works. The only knowledge I have with computers is self taught. Throw a bunch of 0's and 1's at me and I'm lost.

I tried restoring my computer to before the update, which it did, but then then the update redid itself.

I have no idea what I did wrong, but I'm stumped.

So, I went to the last resort. I still had a Windows 10 icon in my bottom bar and I clicked on it for the free upgrade which is scheduled for Wednesday night at 11pm.

Does anyone else know what I can do to fix my Windows 7 so I can keep it, or did I make the right choice and will upgrading to 10 fix it?

Uh. Oh. That does not sound very good because Windows 10 will not upgrade Windows 7 if Microsoft "thinks" it was not genuine. If you are using a laptop, it should have somewhere, usually on the bottom, a sticker with the Windows 7 serial number. If that's correct, and even if is not, get on the chat with microsoft support services: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact...are/windows/ts/, choose the chat online option. Hope this helps.

If you were offered the Windows 10 upgrade then Windows has already determined that you have a legitimate copy of Windows on your machine.

What probably happened (you didn't do anything wrong) is that a program you use corrupted a dynamic link library (DLL) file which can cause your computer to become unstable.

In my opinion, that has to be fixed before you try to upgrade because one of the necessary files might be missing or corrupted, and that is serious.

What I would do is go to tucows, which is download certified for Windows and run the "Windows Not Genuine Repair Tool".

It's a common problem but it can be very serious if it is not fixed in a timely manner.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Thanks NotBambi and StormBirdRising. I appreciate the advise. I think what I'll do is try and bring my laptop down to the library, since they offer free wifi and I don't have internet at home right now. When I can I'll try both suggestions.

I gotta say though, I've had that laptop since February of 2009 and it's been amazing until now. Toshiba really knows how to make good quality stuff.

Edited by Syiren

Any ideas on promotion? So far I've thought about Facebook, webpage, blog, Youtube.... not sure what else I could do. I'm not too sure what to write the blog about, either, as I don't think I'm in any position to teach anyone how to write good books. I was thinking something along the lines of sporking bad books for laughs, even getting into my very own stuff to rip it apart (which could be a lot of fun), but I'm not too sure as the only blog I ever kept was one concerning dog training and behavior.

Have you heard of Goodreads? It's a social media site/forum/book review site. There are some groups for authors and they are welcomed to promote their books in many other groups as well.

I thought that there weren't many readers in Spain either, especially Fantasy (I live there too), but I've found lots of people online who are either from Spain or from Spanish-speaking countries and love books.

If you are interested, I can PM you the link to a Spanish Fantasy book forum. There used to be a really big forum, but the site disappeared and this smaller forum was created.

hi, I'm hoping to get some advice on diabetes

my mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week and I was hoping to get some advice on good snacks for her and some food she should not have

we will be seeing a dietitian (I think that's how its spelled) tomorrow but where we live it will take a few weeks before we can see the diabetes nurse

Which fanfic uploading site is the best? Fanfic.net, AO3, others I haven't heard of yet?

I don't know why I'm asking about uploads, though, since I haven't even wrote it yet. As of today I have a basic idea for a fanfic, as in a solid idea to build a plot on and enough for a few chapters, but nothing for the far future. No actual story beyond chapter 4 or 5 just yet. It's an AU of a canon story but I want something special and interesting to happen, not just retread the canon story path blindly. I'd like to write a crime or horror based story...

...Oop, I already am - that's my original-universe-based book! biggrin.gif

But still. Plot. I need to do some serious brainstorming here.

Which fanfic uploading site is the best? Fanfic.net, AO3, others I haven't heard of yet?

I don't know why I'm asking about uploads, though, since I haven't even wrote it yet. As of today I have a basic idea for a fanfic, as in a solid idea to build a plot on and enough for a few chapters, but nothing for the far future. No actual story beyond chapter 4 or 5 just yet. It's an AU of a canon story but I want something special and interesting to happen, not just retread the canon story path blindly. I'd like to write a crime or horror based story...

...Oop, I already am - that's my original-universe-based book! biggrin.gif

But still. Plot. I need to do some serious brainstorming here.

I personally use FF.net, but Wattpad isn't bad either (it's for a mix of both ff and original stories, though). Never really liked AO3, but I think it's really personal preference - I prefer FF.net but that's just me xd.png

I just signed up for FF.net and AO3. Let's see how it goes... *fingers crossed* Once I get something on there, I'll put a link in my sig so people can point and laugh read my stuff.

hi, I'm hoping to get some advice on diabetes

my mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week and I was hoping to get some advice on good snacks for her and some food she should not have

we will be seeing a dietitian (I think that's how its spelled) tomorrow but where we live it will take a few weeks before we can see the diabetes nurse

dlife.com is one of my favorite diabetes web sites. They have an entire recipe section as well as tips for exercise, maintenance, questions to ask your doctor and I believe they have a forum as well. It is good to develop a good relationship with the nutritionist as they are a great resource. There is plenty of information on the web. Good luck to your mum.

Hiya. I'm just gonna get all confessional here and ask for some heavy advice.

For the longest time, I've always been irrationally panicky about going to talk to teachers on my own. It's not that I don't like them, and I already know that they won't bite--it's their job to teach, after all. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to start getting all teary the minute I hear anything remotely like criticism, despite being perfectly lucid in mind. My bad procrastination habit also doesn't really do me any favors, either (but that's another story).

As unhealthy as this is, I guess I've been able to scrape by for a while, occasionally relying on having a friend be there to help start a conversation or eavesdropping on other classmates' discussions. Problem is, it's gotten to the point where I haven't even been able to approach two of my favorite teachers for letters of recommendation since I settled on them at the end of last school year. Not to mention, I also really need to be talking to my counselor more, considering all the college stuff I have to deal with now.

So far, confiding with my close friends only really reminds me that, despite them having basically the same (if not worse) problems, they can still manage to get over it. Heck, the fact that I'm doing all this psychoanalysis of my situation and am still not taking action is really doing wonders for my sense of self-loathing. Before this gets way out of hand, anyone have any tips on how to work on this? Thanks much!

Greetings,

Bear with me for a second here. Just hang in there, I'll get to it. Some people will start off with the mantra "well this what happens when you raise kids in a society of hover parents, Barney everyone wins no one loses and people stay indoors and/or aren't forced to interact in the same way and with the extremes of anti-bullying people don't learn to develop conflict resolution or deal with the "real world" and are coddled and so are far more sensitive, anxious and unable to socially interact as they need for "real life" and sharp rise in various sharp rise in certain various "disorders" " argument. I'm not gonna say that argument doesn't have some merit. But with or without that being the case or partially the case in your situation, it doesn't really matter. Because those same fears and issues exist in people born before that.

Some people are just better at handling that. Genetics, personality types, birth order, brain chemistry, nurture and more all play a role in that. Severe procrastination and self-loathing and other things are just things some people deal with or use to deal with issues.

Fortunately, procrastination is something you can more easily train yourself out of (than self loathing I mean, not that it's necessarily an easy skill). The reason people procrastinate generally stems from fear usually appearing in 2 ways: 1. Perfectionism or 2. Avoidance of Uncomfortable/Scary Situation. Mine was number 1 and I just took some time in middle school and high school to teach myself it was ok to fail because when I was perfect my parents didn't give me any real extra positive attention for which I desired, and I realized it was a really bad habit to be stuck with, so I just taught myself it was ok to fail. Boy did that not make them happy and sunk my GPA a bit, but I was sooo glad I learned it before what would have been college. I still sometimes do avoidance for really big life things, but I don't do it forever because I like having things like food and shelter and a healthy relationship. There are million books and websites and programs and whatever, all for free, that will help you with it. Look at those and work thru it. The longer you put it off the more you do yourself a disservice in life.

On the flip side, having just finished school before the "everyone wins" kicked in fully and Gen X was winding down time frame, I grew up as a "gifted" kid but due to my IQ and/or general goofiness, I wasn't the super stand out amongst the "gifted" children. I fell somewhere in the middle and just kinda felt awash in a sea of smart people. So I assumed I was nothing special, mostly over looked, and just felt I was dumb. Met S/O and he is confused how I could ever come to that conclusion. Coming out into the real world was an eye opener for me. I was like ... wow ... there are so many people who did not win the genetic lottery and I got really lucky in this respect and it makes things a lot easier. But I understand the same situation and have either had it or been in it.

I can't really advise you on how to get over constructive criticism. To me, I would rather here someone dislikes something up front (even if it makes me want to cry and I have to work really hard not to show it), because I HATE passive aggressiveness so much more and people lying to me. If I need to improve on something, tell me NOW so I can fix it. Don't tell me later when it's too late. That doesn't mean it isn't exactly easy. Some personality types just take it better. Also, some people don't know how to give it, or the way they communicate or what they say is either complete BS or garbage or useless. (This is more common in Corporate America various job performance reviews where they write generic stuff that does nothing to actually help you. You need to really figure it out on your own and be self reflective and just start learning what are most healthy and productive life and other skills you can develop and work on them).

Here is the thing. If someone is giving you constructive criticism in any sort of professional or semi-professional or even mentor type relationship and you cry, they are going to stop helping you, or instead just not give you the actual truth. I don't know how to really tell you how to work at that. It's not like I've not had my issues with bursting out in tears even at work, but usually it's something rather crazy and not just a performance review. Sometimes it is just because I'm so angry. And even that isn't good. It's something you work on, and again, there are lots of resources to help. I find self reflection and meditation, or focus on mental control and breath flow to be the most generally helpful steps. Some people use mantras or self help books or journaling or whatever to help. Since you know it's an issue, I'd start taking steps to work on it ASAP. It won't fix it today, but it'll get you in the right direction for the rest of your life. And to be fair, most of the "feedback" you get from the rest of your life will be BS and worthless. I'm glad you have professors who will help you. Unless you have a real mentor outside of academia though, that stops being helpful and it starts being stupid. If someone is actually being helpful, please seize that while you can. Because as an adult, unless you get a mentor relationship, it's all useless BS from here on out. Something to look forward to!

As for requesting letters, if you really can't bring yourself to ask, have you thought about asking via letter or email? Honestly, this might make it easier on them to also remember since they have a physical reminder. You can make it something like, "Blah blah I respect you for xxxxxx and would really appreciate if you would be able to write me some form of letter of recommendation. As you know, I am a bit of a sensitive soul and found it hard to muster the ability to just physically ask. So I thought a letter/personal correspondence might be a better approach. If you are too busy or unable, that is fine, just please let me know so I can get the letters I need for my xxxxx. The reason I asking is because your word means a lot to me because <insert actual valid reasons without going overboard as if you were writing them a very short quick letter of recommendation or yelp review especially if there was a specific time that something really changed you>.

I'm gonna be honest here. Teachers/Professors write letters of recommendation all the time at certain times of the year. They spew them out like spam. Some even begin to sound a bit form lettery, although many do try to avoid this. There are a few professors that have "reputations" that will "only do this for their most whatever students" and if you get turned down by someone like that, don't take it personally, that is just their ego thing. Ideally, if a teacher has done their job, unless you are just a "bad student" who never shows up for class, does work, etc. (which you aren't), they should be able to say something positive about you, otherwise, they haven't really done their job with you. The idea of a class is to be able to progress each individual student at least some point, unless they are just there for no real reason and are fighting it. For most teachers, this isn't a huge ask. I hope that maybe helps put it into a bit of perspective. And if they say no, respect that, but I still think it is nice to tell people you admire and who have inspired and helped you this. I know teachers get it a lot more than most professions. It's one of the reasons they choose that career. But outside of education, please remember to keep the skill of learning to thank people. Especially in writing (email can be considered in writing in this case). It really changes their day and sometimes their lives. I cannot express this enough. In a world of such BS, the smallest touching words I've seen move people to tears and just make such a difference it is unreal. Develop this skill and use it. Then you will never have an issue of ever "needing to feel scared about asking for letters of recommendation" from anyone because you will have already developed that relationship.

Anyways, off tangent. Now on to the self-loathing. Yah, this is pretty natural and common. I do it, I know lots of others who do it. I don't really know the answer. I mean, there is the generally truism that self-loathing/depression is just rage turned inward instead of outward. We can harm others, or harm ourselves, or both. It does get easier with time and practice and work. There isn't going to be any one post that you are going to find on this forum that will fix this for you. A few might inspire and help in a general guiding direction. But this is something that you are going to have to accept that is part of your build, and work from there. Again, there are many references, and you should try as many things possible (safe things I mean) to see what works best for you. Generally, everyone has something that triggers their "Happy Feeling Chemicals" in their brain. You want to look for positive activities that trigger these vs negative. (Like exercise, a hobby, hanging with friends, art, helping others, writing, whatever vs things like overeating, drug or booze abuse, being abusive and hurtful towards others, wanton sex for no real reason, eating disorders, over control, etc.)

I do, however, know there are places that exist that you can get lots of references and seek support and help for that. There are forums and groups that exist to lift you up in whatever way you want to go. So find what works for you, know that nothing will be perfect, if you have it now you will probably always have it to some degree, but you can learn to overcome and/or not let it control you. One of the most commonly taught things these days is that just because you have a thought doesn't mean it is actually a thought that you really think or mean or even want to act on. Our mind is a stream of things that go thru all day from crazy to positive to genius to meaningless. Some of those thoughts are going to be super negative or even awful. Just because your brain flashed a thought doesn't mean though that you need to dwell on it or even that it really meant it. Sometimes just letting it go and understanding that is not what is defining you can be helpful.

Finally to wrap up that really long post, post college, seriously one of the things that drives me, maybe more than others, is self preservation and autonomy. I am one of those people who like being an adult. I like being able to enjoy my adult life. I don't need things to be wild or fancy or crazy. But I want to be comfortable. I want to be able to do fun things. I don't want to constantly be in positions that are uncomfortable. So I make life choices and learn skills to better secure that. Nothing is ever 100% proof. But there are many skills and life decisions you can make and will make that will make life easier or harder. Learn those that can make your life better as much as possible. Your life does sometimes literally depend on it. Not a pressure thing, life is all about learning. But understand it is your responsibility and no one else for your life. And you have to go from there on what you will do with that.

Hi, and thank you, natayah! I getcha on the genetics part--I'm taking psychology right now, as a matter of fact! Honestly, I just cry really easily in general, regardless of my current state of mind (heck, I'm getting teary just reading your reply here ;u; ). I'd basically be talking in an even voice like normal save for the fact that there's water leaking out of my eyes, which kind of sucks since I really do enjoy constructive criticism. But I digress. At this point, I'm mostly concerned about figuring out mechanical actions I can take at this stage to get me rolling, considering I've pretty much been doing nothing but self reflection for a while. But heck, just posting on here helped take a load off my chest, so I guess there's something. I was iffy about using email since I figured it was kind of impersonal (especially this late), but in any case, I suppose it's worth a shot smile.gif Thanks again for the advice!

I need some help, is sand and sugar (combined) a homogenous mixture or a heterogeneous mixture?

This is best in the Q&A thread.

And... sand and sugar is a homogeneous mixture. Sand itself is a homogeneous mixture- composed of crushed shells, silicon dioxide and other sediments.

~Homogeneous mixture- composed of one phase; you can only see it as one; you cannot easily separate the components, you'll have to use filtration (e.g. orange juice, sand)

~Heterogeneous mixture- composed of more than one phases; you can easily separate the components (e.g. the inside of my pencil case- in this example, you can distinguish at once my eraser from my pencil from my pen; you can easily pick them out and separate them)

*sighs* Where do I start? So, I mentioned in one of my posts that a visiting manager lost all my respect.

She's gotten a whole lot worse and she grated on my nerves today to the point where I lost my temper. She was flat out refusing my break as I told her I was going to break at 9:30 if I hadn't gone. I got there at 6:30 and I needed my break. She flat out said that I could do what she told me to do before going. Um, excuse me, who do you think you are? I lost all respect for you when you handed me your keys. You talk bad about your own employees and she's been a CSM for 15 years. How!? How in the world did you accomplish that!? You don't like to do anything in our store and she seems to work from 6 in the morning till 10-11 at night. Like, get the fudge out of this store!

I'm sorry for ranting, but she's going to write me up if I don't finish what she said. Hopefully our supervisor will be there tomorrow and I can have a long chat with her about this person.

This is best in the Q&A thread.

And... sand and sugar is a homogeneous mixture. Sand itself is a homogeneous mixture- composed of crushed shells, silicon dioxide and other sediments.

~Homogeneous mixture- composed of one phase; you can only see it as one; you cannot easily separate the components, you'll have to use filtration (e.g. orange juice, sand)

~Heterogeneous mixture- composed of more than one phases; you can easily separate the components (e.g. the inside of my pencil case- in this example, you can distinguish at once my eraser from my pencil from my pen; you can easily pick them out and separate them)

Thank you thank you thank you- I was told the wrong chapter to read by my own teacher and all the pages are due tomorrow and I basically had to go off prior knowledge and ask.com....

And as always, an update on my internet status, slightly better, reaches to my kitchen and my mothers room, but not mine. We will call the internet guy when my dad cleans up his mess.

Edited by Jsward322

*sighs* Where do I start? So, I mentioned in one of my posts that a visiting manager lost all my respect.

She's gotten a whole lot worse and she grated on my nerves today to the point where I lost my temper. She was flat out refusing my break as I told her I was going to break at 9:30 if I hadn't gone. I got there at 6:30 and I needed my break. She flat out said that I could do what she told me to do before going. Um, excuse me, who do you think you are? I lost all respect for you when you handed me your keys. You talk bad about your own employees and she's been a CSM for 15 years. How!? How in the world did you accomplish that!? You don't like to do anything in our store and she seems to work from 6 in the morning till 10-11 at night. Like, get the fudge out of this store!

I'm sorry for ranting, but she's going to write me up if I don't finish what she said. Hopefully our supervisor will be there tomorrow and I can have a long chat with her about this person.

sad.gif Sadly, in work, it gives the illusion that she works a lot by checking in early and checking out very late. She bosses others around so she can claim she did it all. dry.gif I smell foul play.

I think yes, you should have a chat with your supervisor and see what they think about it.

sad.gif Sadly, in work, it gives the illusion that she works a lot by checking in early and checking out very late. She bosses others around so she can claim she did it all. dry.gif I smell foul play.

I think yes, you should have a chat with your supervisor and see what they think about it.

The thing is, she threatened to write me up for being nasty. Was I? Yes, because tonight I just lost my patience with her. And if I didn't finish what she told me to after break, she was going to do it. She is a freaking terrible manager. I'm about to yell at her. Hopefully my supervisor will understand.

The best thing is to calm down and not to yell at her. It will come out worse. Everybody knows that's hard but it's the best thing to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some series I can watch? (Like animated. Or roleplay)

Series I've seen:

it ranges from Minecraft diaries to fallout red star and anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some series I can watch? (Like animated. Or roleplay)

Series I've seen:

it ranges from Minecraft diaries to fallout red star and anime.

(For future reference, this sort of question would be better in Q&A: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=95760 )

Other threads you might be interested in:

Visual Media section: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showforum=22

What's your favorite animated show?: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=166916

Favorite anime: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=92340&hl=

What anime are you watching now?: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=125094

Anime!: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=139532

What's your favorite show?: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=133803

Favorite television shows and moves: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165779

I'm not sure what you mean by watching a roleplay?

Thank you thank you thank you- I was told the wrong chapter to read by my own teacher and all the pages are due tomorrow and I basically had to go off prior knowledge and ask.com....

And as always, an update on my internet status, slightly better, reaches to my kitchen and my mothers room, but not mine. We will call the internet guy when my dad cleans up his mess.

I believe a mixture of sand and sugar is actually heterozygous, not homozygous.

@Omega Entity: I wasn't sure about that. I apologise for that; I thought since both are in grain form...