Mistress of Whispers

Heads up before a release

TJ said he no longer wants to do scheduled regular releases (i.e. every first Sunday of the month), but maybe we could at least get a heads up a few days before a release?

TJ has to choose the eggs, code them to drop and create the announcement post, so it's not like releases are completely at whim - he knows one is coming. It'd be awesome if he could let us know some 3 days in advance. That way players can make room, rather than having to end up with the conundrum of 'drop the eggs I currently have (some of which might be very hard to replace), or keep them and hope the new release isn't the next rare."

I think even a short warning would cut down on stress surrounding releases (aka the conundrum above), without requiring players to put their other collecting/breeding plans on hold every single weekend (aka playing it safe just in case there is a release).

I couldnt agree with you more and it was really a shame when scheduled releases were removed because despite many having time to sit around and wait for a release, many don't. Not everyone has the free time to barely hunt, much less be around when it suddenly decides to happen.

I occasionally work weekends and should I be at work when the release happens I would have basically missed out.

I'm in agreement with this. I mean they can still be random but I'd love to have a head's up say a " Oh there's a release this weekend" In enough time to know, so a few spots can be free.

Also agreeing. The only time I ever lock myself anymore is directly after a release until the end of the month, and then once a new month rolls around I refuse to collect more than 5 eggs unless at least 2 of them will hatch in short amounts of time..

While I do enjoy having non-scheduled released, having even 24 hour notice before a release would be hugely helpful. I get that 24hrs really is not long enough to hatch everything, but I feel that should be the bare minimum time of a head's up.

Don't see why not. While I'm not one who minds whether we have scheduled releases or not, I know there are people who like to manage their time when there is a release coming, so I support this.

While I kinda like the suspense of "will he or won't he?" I wouldn't be bothered if there was a heads up. It would just replace one emotion with a different one.

This would be so much better than no warning at all.

I think giving us time to hatch our eggs would be enough reason, but in addition to that, it would help the people who would prefer to arrange their non-computer schedules in order to give them computer time during a release.

Total support! I trade with so many people that new releases without any warnings throw me off... I still miss CB pairs from past 4 releases and trying to breed alts (Undine) is a no go -.-

That is why I now must cancel trades every weekend in case a release happens.. It's really inconvenient; my signature tells it all censorkip.gif

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

Support. I always tend to slow down (or put a hold) on catching/trading during weekends because of the slight paranoia, so getting a little warning in advance would be nice.

Of course - then loads of us would miss the warning and miss out anyway and complain and....

I wish we could go back to scheduled releases... but other than that - support.

Personally, I would rather go back to scheduled releases. But barring that, this isn't bad. I'm afraid though that is kind of kills the point of them being random though, if you are going to announce that you are going to have them you might as well go back to a schedule.

Yes, please!

As variously stated by others, a lot of us miss having the regularly scheduled Releases; various people not only need to be able to prearrange their DC but RL plans; a number of us wind up not collecting/breeding for half the week in any period when a Release might potentially occur - and this might provide a better chance of people currently only checking back here sometimes in case of Releases hearing about and not therefore missing them, something which might affect whether they remember/bother to come back to check next month.

(Just to generally mention, TJ's schedule may not allow for specific days/times, since he does work full-time and have a RL as well, although he may be able to roughly plan a few days ahead - dunno, of course, just what I've been thinking.)

I support the idea of a heads up before releases, but I'm not a fan of scheduled releases. The introduction of a new dragon type should be special, not routine.

This whole idea

Last release, I had to drop a CB T Ridgewing and many other eggs just to snatch the new releases. I would much rather have a warning so I can plan and not stuff myself with eggs. Many people here have a RL outside of DC, so this would be a huge help to those who miss things

I support the idea of a heads up before releases, but I'm not a fan of scheduled releases. The introduction of a new dragon type should be special, not routine.

I don't know- I mean, the completed list is a mile long, and this is a site about collecting tons of different dragons.

I think it only makes sense that new dragons should be released regularly or the game stagnates.

Anyway, I would also like a heads up, because I like making use of the space I have for breeding projects, and I'd be unwilling to just drop all of them for a new release of something that I won't even know until later if I'll like or not.

I'm okay with regulary scheduled releases, but am I also the only one that enjoys the surprise of random releases? It's so much more exciting to find out about it suddenly than for me to just show up along with every other user, regular or not. If this suggestion were implemented, I'd like the heads up to come only 12-24 hours before the release itself.

I think the heads up should be minimun 2 days before release ~ time it takes to hatch all the eggs you got at the day the heads up would occure. (with incubate)

Maximum would be 3 days as suggested because not all people have enough incubators sad.gif

Dropping important eggs just because of surprise release is really bothersome and it is needed since usually the next day it's already a pain to get the new eggs (unless they're common )sleep.gif

Routine releases are not any less special, its still something completely new and fun to collect. Also some of us have lives or jobs, being able to participate and not miss out, especially if the release becomes another pseudo rare like pyrals, is only fair.

It doesn't matter if people get a heads up. Like Fuzz said, people will miss the heads up. Other people will forget if they do see it. Other people will complain that the upcoming release doesn't mesh with their personal schedules, jobs and lives. It doesn't matter how TJ does it, SOMEBODY is going to miss out. Period.

I like the surprise element, coming here, not expecting anything and BAM!, new dragon out of nowhere. I get a thrill from that that I don't get with scheduled releases. Routine indeed.

Personally, I think TJ should drop unexpected, unannounced releases around the clock...sometimes noon, sometimes 6 pm, sometimes midnight or 3 a.m...that way, no matter what time zone someone is in, everyone around the globe gets a shot at being one of the first to grab the dragons.

That being said, it's probably not doable because of TJ's own schedule.

I say leave it as it is.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I really liked having the scheduled releases, since I had time to prepare, but it was interesting before when the releases were random. I often had a sense that we were due for a new release, and it was weird because that sense was usually right. It works for me, either way. smile.gif

I prefer scheduled releases, I had much more fun and satisfaction when the releases were scheduled, I had time to prepare my scroll and didn't have to drop valuable eggs to the AP, like I did the last release (you never know if you are getting coppers or pyralspites that will never be seen again after the release). I believe I'm not the only one who have a life to take care and can't spend full time in the computer waiting for a "surprise release" and I also don't believe I'm the only one who feel frustrated if miss a release. I still remember what happened in one of the latest releases when the drop stopped and dozens of people had missed the initial drop and panicked. Surprise releases are a source of much stress and this is not my personal idea of fun, this is a collection game, not an action game, I don't need the adrenaline, thank you very much nor I need the frustration to potentially miss a rare drop.

Scheduled releases are better to everyone, you can plan your breedings, you can prepared your scroll for the release, you can play at your own pace without alarms and surprises.

I prefer scheduled releases, I had much more fun and satisfaction when the releases were scheduled, I had time to prepare my scroll and didn't have to drop valuable eggs to the AP, like I did the last release (you never know if you are getting coppers or pyralspites that will never be seen again after the release). I believe I'm not the only one who have a life to take care and can't spend full time in the computer waiting for a "surprise release" and I also don't believe I'm the only one who feel frustrated if miss a release. I still remember what happened in one of the latest releases when the drop stopped and dozens of people had missed the initial drop and panicked. Surprise releases are a source of much stress and this is not my personal idea of fun, this is a collection game, not an action game, I don't need the adrenaline, thank you very much nor I need the frustration to potentially miss a rare drop.

Scheduled releases are better to everyone, you can plan your breedings, you can prepared your scroll for the release, you can play at your own pace without alarms and surprises.

And if you really want a surprise then have TJ not put the date in the title of the annuncement post and simply have a title like "Dragon Release Date for [insert month here] [insert year]" and those who want a surprise and not know, simply don't look at the thread.

Again, many of us are here to collect awesome sprites, make cool lineages, and trade, not stress over "could this be the weekend of a release? better put a hold on every single plan for my scroll just in case." Thats not fun. If I wanted to stress out like that I'd tell my credit card companies to not tell me when I need to pay my bill and randomly call me at some point in the month with the bomb drop of when its due and how much. Thats all the stress I need and more right there.

Scheduled releases are better to everyone

That's a matter of opinion.

If I wanted to stress out like that I'd tell my credit card companies to not tell me when I need to pay my bill and randomly call me at some point in the month with the bomb drop of when its due and how much. Thats all the stress I need and more right there.

I have the perfect solution to that stress. Don't get into credit card debt. lol