Szayelapporo

A way to breed unbreedables

This just popped up out of nowhere when I got my Cheese a moment ago. But...

What if all the genderless dragons could breed?

Like, if you gave them a breeding page, and it said 'no breeding' but then you went to a female's page and you could breed from there?

All the eggs would be the female's breed, and they'd produce nothing if it were an out-of-season holiday.

Genderless dragons are cheeses and papers. Cheeses and papers are not real dragons therefore incapable of breeding. They are merely ënchanted objects come to life.

Yah, magical objects breeding with living dragons doesn't make any sense. You might be interested in suggestions like https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=103809 , however, which advocate letting cheeses and papers "breed" more of themselves.

Like I think I get where you're coming from--some all female lizard species need to simply simulate mating in order to lay clones of themselves--but IMO the idea of our dragons getting frisky with magical cheese is too bizarre and unnecessary when we can just breed them to a real male dragon. Plus, you'd either have to change how lineage views work for those babies or place the genderless as the "father," which for reasons stated above wouldn't be true. xd.png

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I don't really see the need or reason for this, myself. The genderless dragons / dinos are genderless for a reason.

In the case of Dinos, because they are a joke (and not dragons). In the case of Cheese and Paper dragons, because they are animated constructs and not biological entities. In the case of chickens, because they are not dragons, they are chickens. And ND are unbreedable because they have serious health issues. Infertility because of disease / other health issues really does happen.

Cheers!

C4.

Please title your threads so we know what they're about.

What if all the genderless dragons could breed?

Like, if you gave them a breeding page, and it said 'no breeding' but then you went to a female's page and you could breed from there?

I'm... confused? o.o I think I'm misunderstanding something about this suggestion. =o Is this saying that unbreedables could be bred with breedable dragons, just not produce?

But anyway, I really don't see the need for these dragons to breed, especially if we're trying to match breedable and unbreedable dragons in lineages. I don't think it would particularly add to the game. Plus, if unbreedables could breed but not produce, it'd just produce more frustrating lineages that can't really be continued unless they're spirals or stairs. Aaaaaaalso, as genderless dragons, there's not really any sensical/logical placement for them in lineages. o_O Something that is more in line with what kind of dragon they are - maybe (ie a magic spell you can preform rather than breeding). I haven't caught any in a while (and do like catching them) and I'm still not for this. xP

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This

Makes

No

Sense

What are you even trying to suggest? That unbreedables breed with breedables? Unbreedables are unbreedable for a reason. If they would breed, it would ruin the entire point of them being called unbreedables.

I'm... confused? o.o I think I'm misunderstanding something about this suggestion. =o Is this saying that unbreedables could be bred with breedable dragons, just not produce?

I understood the part you quoted as meaning that you don't get the breed option on the unbreedable dragon, but if you picked a random female (or random male) dragon on your scroll currently capable of breeding, the unbreedable would show up in the list of potential mates (assuming it hadn't been bred in this way in the past week -- at least I'm assuming the breed cooldown would apply to it, too).

They'd then produce the species of the breedable parent (or no egg, or no interest, or a refusal), much like holiday dragons do out of season.

(Edit: Also, regarding lineage shapes, I feel that since there are more evengen options other than checkers - and as far as I know, CB frills and CB bright pink bases in evengens are not 'frustrating' for most people collecting them (much as we'd like those species to return, but that's a different matter) - there are plenty of options to use them in continuable lineages. Also, I really like spirals. @_@ It's totally a feature, not a bug. xd.png;;)

----

I wouldn't mind this. If it happened, I'd probably use it for my otherwise so lonely CB Neglected and Vampire dragons, which do have genders but can't breed. That would be rather nice, lineage design wise (hngggh male vampire sprites in lineages yes please), and open some new interesting lineage pattern options. That being said, I also don't think it's necessary.

Edited by pinkgothic

We need so many other things - this is most definitely NOT one of them.

I don't like the idea of being able to breed magical constructs with real, living dragons. And let's not even think about adding dinos to the mix.

However, I do support reproductive BSAs for unbreedable dragons, like fold/origami for papers or something along the same line for cheeses. I'm not so sure about dinos, though, since I don't collect them.

I am not opposed to a BSA/Bite -type method of enchanted object dragons reproducing but I am opposed to the particulars of this suggestion. A live dragon producing (even its own breed) egg with an enchanted object? Or worse, an undead type dragon? Sounds skanky. Don't want.

Just looking at the unbreedable dragon would make them being capable of breeding so wrong ~ I mean look at the Cheese dragon ninja.gif

so many holes /bricked

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

Just looking at the unbreedable dragon would make them being capable of breeding so wrong ~ I mean look at the Cheese dragon ninja.gif

so many holes /bricked

Maybe cheeses breed like sponges....

Anyway, this seems like a strange suggestion since it doesn't seem like you want them to produce their own species anyway. And if you do, I'm going to have to say pass, since it'd be a way to get a neglected without putting effort into it.

I like that there are things in this game that can't be produced by players through breeding (and of course given enough attempts). It gives a sort of validation to the cave hunting experience.

Principle-wise I don't see why not but, at the same time, I can't figure out any advantages on spending any coding effort on this direction. So... nothing against the suggestion but no support either.

Perhaps a suggestion along the lines of using magic/mana to "make" enchanted dragons would receive more support...? Just a note, not trying to drag this topic away from its intention.

I don't really like the idea of an unbreedable being able to breed, sounds a bit like an oxymoron. A BSA to clone an enchanted unbreedable seems a bit more acceptable.

I don't really like the idea of an unbreedable being able to breed, sounds a bit like an oxymoron. A BSA to clone an enchanted unbreedable seems a bit more acceptable.

Unless I've got my wires crossed, the term 'unbreedable' is community-given, isn't it? So it wouldn't be much of an oxymoron. It's just a description of how those breeds currently function.

Unless I've got my wires crossed, the term 'unbreedable' is community-given, isn't it? So it wouldn't be much of an oxymoron. It's just a description of how those breeds currently function.

OK, I guess I'm stuck in semantics smile.gif

Idk how I really feel about this. On one hand I'd love to make Vampire M x Neglected F checker or a Vampire F x White M, but on the other it nearly defeats the vampire BSA as well as ND experiments. unsure.gif As for the other ones I don't think I'd like dinos/chickens/cheeses the ability to breed though. NDs and Vampires I'd be more okay with, but then again. unsure.gif

And yes, vampires would look so so so so lovely in lineages. ; ~ ;

On one hand I'd love to make Vampire M x Neglected F checker

This suggestion wouldn't help with that, since the current unbreedables wouldn't produce any of their own offspring. Generally, checkers are out. Spirals, staircases, non-checker evengens, though, those would be in. happy.gif They'd work like holidays out of season, except they'd never be in-season.

Ahhhhhhhh didn't catch that last part about them being the female's breed. xd.png Well there goes the checker dry.gif

I still am not quite sure what they meant by: "and they'd produce nothing if it were an out-of-season holiday." So just produce during the holidays or have their own little breeding in season or...? unsure.gif

Ahhhhhhhh didn't catch that last part about them being the female's breed. xd.png Well there goes the checker dry.gif

I still am not quite sure what they meant by: "and they'd produce nothing if it were an out-of-season holiday." So just produce during the holidays or have their own little breeding in season or...? unsure.gif

As far as I understood this, I think that's just missing the word 'as': "and they'd produce nothing as if it were an out-of-season holiday".