TheEntireHumanRace

Survival game I am developing.

Hey guys! I've been working on a survival game for quite some time now, it doesn't really have a story, and it's set in modern times. I don't have a name for it yet, either. I'm basically making this for anyone who is interested in progress, games, or game development. It's built with Unity (what else?) with all of the scripts using it's built in C#.

I'm gonna put a massive progress checklist type thingy down here...

RED = No Progress

ORANGE = Some Progress

YELLOW = Decent Progress

GREEN = Done

BLUE = Needs Changing

Player Control:

Player movement

Player sound effects

Player stats

Weapons:

Firearm firing

Weapon movement/sway

Melee weapons

Bullet physics (Penetration, bounce, etc)

Weapon sound effects

Weapon control

Status Effects:

Sickness

Poisoning

Bleeding

Blood loss

Fracture

Inventory:

Item system

Inventory menu

Gear menu

Quick slots

Item System:

Item classes

Usable items

Wearable items

World:

Landscape

Props

Interiors

Performance:

Simplify shaders

Add LOD to objects

Occlusion culling

Draw call batching

Artificial Intelligence:

Sight

Hearing

Navigation

Movement

Entity system

Entity processing

Movement processing

AI processing

Other:

Save and load system

Day and night cycle

Dynamic music system

Object spawning system

Screenshots:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Note: These screenshots are slightly old.

It's school holidays soon, and I hope to continue working on my project. Having people give me feedback is great for my morale, and make me feel like I want to start working on my game again. (Also note: This page is a work in progress.)

This looks awesome! It reminds me of Rust in a way.

Are there gonna be buildings and stuff? Do you plan to make arrangements for a map?

This looks awesome! It reminds me of Rust in a way.

Are there gonna be buildings and stuff? Do you plan to make arrangements for a map?

Thanks! Yes, there will be buildings, I hope to add some small towns. The map is generated randomly (but not at run-time, it's just not hand-made.)

Oooh, this looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going to keep tabs on this; my boyfriend and I love survival games like this.

Is it going to be a particularly hostile environment, where the player will be focused on surviving not just in general, but against foes like zombies, wild/rabid animals, or whatever evil monsters might be lurking about?

Or is it more about the survival itself, trying to find a way not to die of thirst or hunger or such?

Either way(or even if it ends up as neither! tongue.gif) I would love to see this as it progresses. Do you hope to make it multiplayer?

Edited by Aquenee

I'm not too into survival games nor do I know much about game development (but it can be interesting) but those screenshots look absolutely amazing. I might be keeping an eye on this just to see some more of the development process.

I can't even see the pictures because family safety *cries*

But this sounds pretty cool.

It looks really good so far, and your game plan seems very much organized biggrin.gif

I'd love to be a tester if you need them happy.gif

Oooh, this looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going to keep tabs on this; my boyfriend and I love survival games like this.

Is it going to be a particularly hostile environment, where the player will be focused on surviving not just in general, but against foes like zombies, wild/rabid animals, or whatever evil monsters might be lurking about?

Or is it more about the survival itself, trying to find a way not to die of thirst or hunger or such?

Either way(or even if it ends up as neither! tongue.gif) I would love to see this as it progresses. Do you hope to make it multiplayer?

Thanks! The player will need to survive against hostile animals (lesser threat) and eldritch type monsters. I would love to make this multiplayer! I have some experience in networking, but the main issue is preventing cheats. Maybe in the far future I will make a multiplayer game to this scale.

I'm not too into survival games nor do I know much about game development (but it can be interesting) but those screenshots look absolutely amazing. I might be keeping an eye on this just to see some more of the development process.

Thanks, survival games are definitely not for everyone, a very niche genre.

It looks really good so far, and your game plan seems very much organized

I'd love to be a tester if you need them

Ha, you would be surprised how unorganized I really am. Thanks for the complements! I'll probably release some king of public testing version later.

I can't even see the pictures because family safety *cries*

But this sounds pretty cool.

Thanks!

Edited by TheEntireHumanRace

Updated the terrain!

• Added rocks
  • Changed grass, blends better now
  • Increased tree density
  • Fixed static batching bug
  • Fixed occlusion bug
  • Fixed and added fog
  • Removed water reflections sad.gif (lag)
  • Optimized post-process shader effects
  • Various performance improvements
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by TheEntireHumanRace

OMG This is awesome and beautiful. Those graphics... I can already tell my old toaster wouldn't be able to run this thing. My brother's gaming laptop that I practically own on the other hand... >:}

Seriously though you built this thing from scratch by yourself? That's pretty inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the awesome comments everyone! I haven't posted any updates for a while because of school work and stuff, but I have still worked on the game quite a bit.

New Features:

Terrain: Better, lush grass

Terrain: Height blending, parallax, less tiling and better LOD.

Terrain: Rocks have better LOD's now, and switch shaders when far away.

Terrain: Changed generation pretty much completely

Graphics: Improved 'standard shader'

Graphics: standard shader now support wetness and better lighting effects

Performance: Moved loading away from main processing thread

Performance: Removed currently bugged occlusion culling

Performance: Added newer, faster shaders and tree models

AI: Improved performance of AI

AI: Tweaked some stuff

Misc: Added main menu

Misc: Added loading menu

Misc: Fixed tons of bugs

Networking: ADDED MULTIPLAYER!

Networking: Uses SlimMath C# library, for less bandwidth usage

Proud to say that I'm in the process of adding networked multiplayer, using unity's new 'UNet' feature. Currently, only the players positions and rotations are synced across the network. I will spend the following weeks adding networking to the AI and player shooting, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/JMjVcSe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VIMWDDq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0VRbMDb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rrf5xlv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UhObcOF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ujervog.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LAzxM4v.jpg

~Linked for size~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

let me just say this looks damn fine :3

is it free to play?

and did you do the graphics your self?

let me just say this looks damn fine :3

is it free to play?

and did you do the graphics your self?

Thanks! It's probably gonna be free, but I might make it cost a small amount, like $5 or something, to reduce cheating. The art assets are not mine (I bought the licence to use them though), but the terrain and the general way the assets are put together is my work.