BassClarinetBoss

First attempt at spriting in a while

So I had decided after a discussion with Rampaging Wyvern to try out spriting. The last time I had sprited was back in sixth grade, so I think that my first attempt in a long while looks good. Since I'm not very adept at criticizing myself, I was hoping to have the public community of these here forums to do just that. Be harsh as you can while still being constructive. I want to learn how to sprite better, not get my feelings hurt. smile.gif

The sprite attached to this post took me around a good hour. All the while listening to an avant-garde piece of 'music' known as Revolution 9. That maybe influenced my style a bit. Hmm. unsure.gif

post-25-1434152403.png

That looks really cool~ I'm into spriting myself, and I can say it's not that bad.

But a quick tip if you wanna get better: Try to soften up the colors a bit, and for the outlines they don't always need to be 'black'. If you want more 'oomph' to your sprite, then you'll need to give the outlines some colors. But don't go for bright colors, 'cause the outline is supposed to be a darker shade of what's on the 'inside' area.

But that's just me. biggrin.gif You can do whatever you want, but I hope I helped a bit.

Also, I'm terrible at flames so....I guess just look up flame sprites or something??? blink.gif

So I did this after the critiques... unsure.gif

(Thanks for them by the way, guys! It helped!)

I changed the face because I did the fire face for funsies.

The skin tone is a tad too 'orange-yellowish' for me. How can I make the skin tone a tad more 'pink' without going into the red hued zone. Kinda like a light-tanned Caucasian colour. Pink-peach.

I tried to do more blending, and I think I got a good result so far, but again the emoji says it... unsure.gif

post-25-1434248406.png

Forgot to post as well, trying to go for an ambient-kind of shading. Almost like the shading found in most 3DS games, specifically Pushmo biggrin.gif

If you do a google image search for

skin tone palette site:deviantart.com

that'll show you a lot of different palettes for skin - I think for example this one shows really well the pinkish types of colors.