Pixxelation

Holiday Rereleases

Why not just make the Halloweens more common, compared to the other holidays? Christmas and Valentine's *need* to be rare, or the biomes will end up flooded with eggs nobody can catch. If the Halloweens were more common, people would have an easier time catching them, and they'd have less value. Making them entirely untradeable would be silly though, IMO, especially for code hunters and the like.

Also, I see no reason that someone shouldn't be able to trade for unlimited CBs. I have 89 Desipises because of trading, and I think anyone should have that ability with CB Halloweens, should they be rereleased.

Well, I could be wrong, (and am more responding to the ideas than the poster and running off those, if you see what I mean, lol,) but I suspect that the main point of this suggestion is to give those who missed them in the past a chance to get some, and if they're uncommon and tradeable, or rare, most people would never even see them while a few of the fastest would load up to use them as trade fodder. (They were abandonable in the suggestion, just not tradeable, so if code-hunters wanted to drop something potentially rare and very hard to catch to check for better codes, they could still do this.)

Holiday Releases/breeding periods are a lot more fun for most people when the dragons are easily caught and are only really possible for some, due to family obligations and other RL stuff (working longer hours in/around holidays, dealing with trick-or-treaters and dressing-up, taking out and supervising their own kids on Halloween, etc.) when dragons can be caught quickly in whatever free moments they have. (If in doubt about this, read the comments on some older Release threads.)

And since most of the site is more concerned with collecting Holiday dragons for their own personal collections and use rather than doing without so that trade value can be high for a few traders, and we've had a lot of problems and loss of interest result from this direction already, I'd personally much rather that we all, on the whole, have a fun and stress-free time at DC, all the more so since many holidays are already depressing/not much fun for people celebrating them only here at DC, hoping to be cheered up.

Since we've already had a thread discussing raising allowed individual levels of Limited CB Holidays with a general member consensus of 4 in total per user, and since allowing people who already have 2 to obtain 2 more of each would make the biomes move so that different kinds would frequently show, I do think a heavy Flood of past-year Holiday dragons Released more than 3 years earlier, with the oldest Holidays people are least likely to have being the most heavily Dropped - at least in the first year, and at least for the first few days - would make things more fun and a lot more exciting on an inclusive basis.

Since there's such a huge market for games suitable for the enormous pool of people including those who are non-competitive, the vast and growing number of people unable to afford fast computers and connections and those who just want to have fun and relax when playing, and since DC seems basically designed and positioned to fill this need, why waste it and not make the game less about being able to afford/access a fast system and more about people having a wide variety of dragons, virtually any of which can be eventually obtained, with reasonable time and effort, by virtually anyone, by hunting through a changing and increasing variety rather than doing 5 minutes of refreshing over eggs they don't want to likely see more of the same at each shuffle - especially at Holidays?

People on slow systems are already challenged on a perpetual basis and do not have the option of upgrading, while those on fast systems seeking more challenge can always down-grade their connection to achieve this.

But if we allow ourselves to be boxed in by a mind-set imposed by the most advantaged in (edit: RL), where the less affluent are permitted little or no opportunity even in leisure-time gaming, not only does the bulk of the population miss out, but so do site owners losing advertising refreshes at the same rate as those within that large pool of less affluent/slower catching members lose interest.

This game could be freaking incredible, if issues (especially including increased Cave movement, of course) were addressed in terms of people collecting/breeding/gifting/swapping a wide and increasing variety of dragons, rather than trade values and winners and losers in a 0-sum game many people don't find amusing at all and come here to get away from... and a number of which don't seem to be on much any more, apart from Releases, if they hear about them...

Edited by Syphoneira

TRUE CBs vamps are NOT available to everyone. TRUE CBs have no "bitten by" thing. Just saying.

http://dragcave.net/view/1UdD

This isn't a "true" CB either but it doesn't say it was bitten by anyone. None of mine do. Only way to tell for sure is the date.

I know I kinda started the "drop them in the AP" discussion, but I have to point out that I don't see how the computer would separate the "CB" from the bred ones if they are all in the same place and thus could make keeping the limit of 2 rather difficult. I also admit to knowing nothing about coding so, maybe it wouldn't be hard at all, but I really don't know.

Edited by DragonLady86

This isn't a "true" CB either but it doesn't say it was bitten by anyone. None of mine do. Only way to tell for sure is the date.

Fair point smile.gif

I know I kinda started the "drop them in the AP" discussion, but I have to point out that I don't see how the computer would separate the "CB" from the bred ones if they are all in the same place and thus could make keeping the limit of 2 rather difficult. I also admit to knowing nothing about coding so, maybe it wouldn't be hard at all, but I really don't know.

In the Cave, when you try to grab an egg over your limit it says you can't. It does the same, when you click on a CB in the AP of a breed you are at the limit of. It'll say the same thing, if new CBs are sent to the AP.

What having them in the AP directly, instead of on scrolls will do, is:

- You don't have to pick between pretties in the AP or CBs.... Both are in the same place

- You can't tell the CBs vs the lineage from the AP, which complicates any attempt at script writing, making it harder for people to have little helpers.

- They are spread out in the AP, with all of the other lineaged eggs of their breed.... Which means that someone with a slow connection has a much better chance of getting one than they do when competing against fast connections in the Biomes, because there is a much bigger random element in it.

Cheers!

C4.

In the Cave, when you try to grab an egg over your limit it says you can't. It does the same, when you click on a CB in the AP of a breed you are at the limit of. It'll say the same thing, if new CBs are sent to the AP.

What having them in the AP directly, instead of on scrolls will do, is:

- You don't have to pick between pretties in the AP or CBs.... Both are in the same place

- You can't tell the CBs vs the lineage from the AP, which complicates any attempt at script writing, making it harder for people to have little helpers.

- They are spread out in the AP, with all of the other lineaged eggs of their breed.... Which means that someone with a slow connection has a much better chance of getting one than they do when competing against fast connections in the Biomes, because there is a much bigger random element in it.

Cheers!

C4.

I was kinda sleepy and originally read that to mean "if you're already at the limit of CBs for a scroll, the CB drops to the AP"

...which wouldn't be bad at all, and makes the scripters give a bit of help to everyone xd.png

Fast people will still get the eggs out of the AP and still trade them. I never see a lack of spriter alt egg trades on holidays. And I have a fast computer but I also work 11 hour days and have a 12 hour car trip to see the folks. Punishing me for having a fast machine and a prize dragon due to how people perceive I'll use them only forces me to use trade rather than hunting, which encourages fast clickers to do trades. I'm also not sure that forcing people to spend hours searching through the AP in possible vain on a holiday is going to go over well. Reminds me of people's frantic 24 hour Holly hunts that invariably come up empty. Or at least they post that in the release forum and get gifted by fast hunters. That is followed by people annoyed that fast hunters + beggars shut them out of getting one.

Fast people will still get the eggs out of the AP and still trade them. I never see a lack of spriter alt egg trades on holidays. And I have a fast computer but I also work 11 hour days and have a 12 hour car trip to see the folks. Punishing me for having a fast machine and a prize dragon due to how people perceive I'll use them only forces me to use trade rather than hunting, which encourages fast clickers to do trades. I'm also not sure that forcing people to spend hours searching through the AP in possible vain on a holiday is going to go over well. Reminds me of people's frantic 24 hour Holly hunts that invariably come up empty. Or at least they post that in the release forum and get gifted by fast hunters. That is followed by people annoyed that fast hunters + beggars shut them out of getting one.

But they won't be able to get all the eggs, much less with "little helpers". If there are 10 eggs to choose from at any one moment - and during a wall, there are usually 30 holiday eggs to choose from - chances are that at least some of them will go to the slower clickers.

On another note - and please don't hate me for suggesting this - why not turn a bred egg that has been dumped back to the AP a certain number of times (20? 30?) into a CB?

This way, multiclutches will be reduced (obviously), but only eggs of "unwanted" lineages will be turned into CBs, while the gems will be picked up. At least I hope this is how it would work out.

On another note - and please don't hate me for suggesting this - why not turn a bred egg that has been dumped back to the AP a certain number of times (20? 30?) into a CB?

This way, multiclutches will be reduced (obviously), but only eggs of "unwanted" lineages will be turned into CBs, while the gems will be picked up. At least I hope this is how it would work out.

That... actually sounds like a pretty cool idea. How hard do you think it would be to code, though?

So if I'm understanding this right.

The idea is to limit people to 4 CBs of any one breed so that the one huge fan that gets 89 CB Despis can no longer do so, thereby also inhibiting anyone else who ever got 4 CBs. Which is basically anyone who liked any holiday halloween since we went to biomes. Anyone that traded theirs off, didn't like the sprite or liked a past release better. They probably won't be getting any of those either.

The only person that benefits is the invisible newbie, who is not here asking for this change.

The other idea is to auto drop CBs into the AP. And limit people. So, much like the situation we had with Tinsels the year after they were released, we'll be staring at a wall of holiday dragons in the AP that no one can pick up slowly ticking down in time. I believe TJ had to clear that wall himself. Just rather than one breed, it will be several breeds.

And that problem will magnify every year after.

So basically the suggestion is to release more CBs, but then inhibit people from picking them up thereby causing walls probably in both the cave and AP. And we're going to give up multi-clutches for that? sad.gif

/do not support

Did someone say limits on Hallowe'ens ? ABSOLUTELY no support for that. I am the greediest trick or treater ever (well, no, clearly Pie is MILES ahead of me !)

I want multis to stay the way they are no matter what. If that means no re-issued old CBs that's fine - and no I do NOT have a full set, but I will SO get over that xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

The idea is to limit people to 4 CBs of any one breed so that the one huge fan that gets 89 CB Despis can no longer do so, thereby also inhibiting anyone else who ever got 4 CBs. Which is basically anyone who liked any holiday halloween since we went to biomes. Anyone that traded theirs off, didn't like the sprite or liked a past release better. They probably won't be getting any of those either.

The only person that benefits is the invisible newbie, who is not here asking for this change.

The other idea is to auto drop CBs into the AP. And limit people. So, much like the situation we had with Tinsels the year after they were released, we'll be staring at a wall of holiday dragons in the AP that no one can pick up slowly ticking down in time. I believe TJ had to clear that wall himself. Just rather than one breed, it will be several breeds.

So basically the suggestion is to release more CBs, but then inhibit people from picking them up thereby causing walls probably in both the cave and AP. And we're going to give up multi-clutches for that? sad.gif

/do not support

Nope, not quite. A discussion is where people discuss things... Meaning it hasn't been decided yet.

No one is suggesting Halloweens be limited to 4 in the ORIGINAL year of release. There has been talk of limiting the ability of a person to get extras OUTSIDE of the original release year. So the person with 89 Desipsis can still get 89 Desipsis.... The year they were released. And even that has had a TON of discussion, ranging from +2 per year to unlimited each year. There are pros and cons to both. The pros of limiting is, this is an "extra" release aimed at people who weren't able to get them the first go round. The cons? Limiting Halloweens.

The drop-to-the-AP idea has NO limits on CB Halloweens, and just the existing limits on the CB Christmas and Valentine's dragons. With the eggs listed as "uncommon / rare", I'm pretty sure that they'd get picked up before blocking the AP, though that is a point I hadn't considered.

Myself? I'd still prefer to keep multi-clutches as they are and not have a re-release. All of the methods so far discussed have downsides, first and formost of which is the decrease in the size of multi-clutches (BTW: TJ's post wasn't specific, and just indicated that eggs to the AP would have to be reduced, not that multi-clutches would go away entirety).

Its really all about a balance issue.... And I'd rather have older CB Holidays re-introduced some other way than to the Biomes.

Cheers!

C4.

/do not support

Just woke up from a nap and it's 3 AM so I'm very likely missing something, but haven't been able to find where anyone suggested limiting Re-Released CB Halloweens to 4?

This really boils down to Drop rates, though, since anything Dropped over the breeding week as rare would be effectively worse than useless to the general membership and anything Dropped as unCommon probably wouldn't be seen at all by most - which would mean our nice, relaxed Holidays going back to being fruitless ordeals for most participants.

So, if they were to be Dropped at rare (so potentially literally a few scroll-fulls for a relative few during this short period, especially with typically slow biome movement) or unCommon rates, I could see the idea of having the CB past Holidays abandonable but not tradeable, to avoid the 'trade fodder' aspect and at least keep the instant disappearance rate to those wanting them for their own scrolls and use, rather than having them repeatedly caught by the same few fastest people to swap for other future things, rinse, repeat.

Alternatively, if we were to do this Re-Release, (using, as suggested, Holidays Released more than 3 years ago) but increase the number of permitted CB Limited Holidays to 4 per user, (as has been discussed by members and generally agreed to be reasonable elsewhere, which increases breeding potential and reduces the finalized impact of Refusals) and Flood the Cave with them during breeding week, (or at least for the first few days,) with a progressively higher rate Dropped of the older Holidays people are less likely to have, the biomes should move, the full variety of sprites show, and everyone have a good chance at catching at least some of whatever they most wanted/needed.

And in that case there would be less incentive to impose limits on Halloweens - and ideally everyone could enjoy the Holidays without stress and disappointment for most.

I would hope, however, that the Holiday clutch size would not be cut back to under 3 eggs, as with each Holiday there is only one brief period each year for people to collect unrelated Holiday lineages to enable the next breeding steps toward the next year and even if any remained after the Holiday, any decent Holiday lineages would be certain to be wanted by various people as soon as they had room for them.

But some of the less-common and especially multi-even-gen lineages various people may particularly need may already be rather hard to come by, and the fewer produced, the higher the likelihood that continuance (edit:would) become less an annual, but a multi-year, thing

Edited by Syphoneira

Overall, this suggestion is a nightmare to balance. I'd prefer old holidays to be available through other means, like an in-game shop, instead of a re-release. Alternately, any one old holiday sprite could be available through mini games. Let's take mana alchemy, for instance. If you won it at least 10 times, you could choose one old Valentine dragon egg. If you won it at least 100 times, you'd be able to choose two old Valentine dragon eggs. If you played it 1000 times, you could choose three old Valentine dragon eggs. And so on.

A progression like this would make sure nobody could get too many, not even through grinding - but TJ could implement a cap at 1000 anyway, just in case. Plus, scroll limits for old CB holiday breeds might not even be needed at all, since everyone is limited to 3 old ones per year and event.

Alternately, for the Egg Hunts or Trick or Treat events, the progression could be 1/4 of all items found for one old holiday egg, 1/2 for 2 old holiday eggs and all items found for 3 old holiday eggs. Maybe reward players with another old holiday egg for completing another available task, like the story/adventure we got for Christmas or Halloween.

Please take into account that these numbers are just made up out of thin air, the actual numbers might be quite different. I'd still like to see some kind of exponential growth for unlimited mini games, though.

Disclaimer: I have only been skimming through the thread lately, so if anything below has been mentioned already, please let me know :3

I don't think we need to factor into this suggestion increasing the CB holiday limits. While that is definitely something I support, it is not part of the game at this time, and thus not something we should be worrying about in this thread at this time, IMO. If it becomes announced that TJ plans to up the limits, then we can discuss it here, but I'd like to request that it remain separate for the time being to keep this thread from veering too far off-topic.

~

My reasoning for rereleased holidays is as follows.

First, many users are already at their limits for those breeds, and as more new users catch new holidays (or old ones to release and re-catch), more generated CB holidays will be uncatchable by currently online users. We don't want the Cave to flood like it does during holiday releases, except with old holidays instead of new ones.

Second, I don't think there's any harm in having to work for past years' CBs. Making them common would negate any reason for new users to breed or AP hunt, and we essentially rely on the entire community to catch eggs from the AP so that the wall doesn't stand for too long. Keeping them uncommon not only raises incentive to be there for the dragon's release, but also makes it more rewarding to catch an old, elusive dragon. Besides, what's the harm in giving them market value? Low-gens as-is already trade well for the oldest breeds, especially if a parent is an artist's (or conceptor's) alt. Also, players who missed holiday releases currently have to work hunting in the AP to catch old eggs, and I think that's something that should be preserved, at least in part.

Lastly, making them too common would almost surely lead to the complete retiring of multiclutches, especially during Halloween. It's just not feasible to be producing a large sum of new CBs, yet

~

Now, all that being said, IF people would still prefer that the CBs be made common upon rerelease, since it is currently fairly easy to catch them, anyway, how would everyone feel if, instead of just making them common drops, there was a temporary new biome added? That would prevent them from blocking the Cave with eggs nobody online can claim, and make them accessible to the general population.

However, this would almost surely lead to the demise of multiclutches. If more CBs are produced, logistically, less eggs need to be bred so as not to lead to balance issues, especially during Halloween. Also, it would essentially be handing all holidays to new players, which largely diminishes the point of even breeding.

Anything that deprives us of multi clutches will never get my vote. I would far far rather trawl the ap for pretties than look for cb eggs. Much as I would love a cb punkin.

I want them rare, but dropped directly into the AP. That keeps everyone working away at the holiday wall without making said wall unreasonable. It also turns it all into a game of luck rather than a matter of speed. Maybe all the different breeds produced can be tracked, and CB eggs are generated when people breed enough lineaged eggs. For example, for every 100 Grave eggs bred we have however many CB Graves generated.

This also keeps the older holidays rarer, since fewer of them would be produced compared to the new holidays. That number will increase as the years go by, however, and the 2 CB Limit will still apply to Christmas and Valentine's day so they should get spread around a bit.

Edited by Tehya Faye

I don't like the idea of dropping them to the AP. It will confuse new players (and probably some old ones, too), lead to casual hunters getting the breed limit message far more often than they'd like, and just overcomplicate this idea. DC is a game of speed, when it comes to catching. It always has been, and it always will be. I don't understand why a rereleased holiday should be any different.

Actually, dropping the CBs directly to the AP would further the issue of the wall. If they dropped in the Cave, unclaimed eggs would sit there until the hourly, when they would be deleted or reshuffled or whatever happens at the hourly when the eggs shift. Dropping them to the AP would automatically force the egg into gameplay, meaning that somebody would *have* to grab it, and also further contributing to the wall. If anything, dropping them to the AP is *more* damaging to multiclutches.

I'm going under the impression that multiclutches are going to be reduced regardless of how we rerelease them. The CBs would just replace some of the lost lineaged eggs. That might be bad for Christmas and Valentine's day dragons, though.

Edited by Tehya Faye

I don't like the idea of dropping them to the AP. It will confuse new players (and probably some old ones, too), lead to casual hunters getting the breed limit message far more often than they'd like, and just overcomplicate this idea. DC is a game of speed, when it comes to catching. It always has been, and it always will be. I don't understand why a rereleased holiday should be any different.

Actually, dropping the CBs directly to the AP would further the issue of the wall. If they dropped in the Cave, unclaimed eggs would sit there until the hourly, when they would be deleted or reshuffled or whatever happens at the hourly when the eggs shift. Dropping them to the AP would automatically force the egg into gameplay, meaning that somebody would *have* to grab it, and also further contributing to the wall. If anything, dropping them to the AP is *more* damaging to multiclutches.

Seriously, I'd rather do without. Uncommons/rares that only drop for a very limited amount of time and additionally cost everyone by reducing the number of bred eggs sounds like a very bad idea to me. (Even though I'd love to get my hands on a pair of hollies in order to produce purebreds...)

By that logic, we should get rid of CB Rares in general.

If TJ really thinks some reduction is needed (although I'd beg he reconsider), I still think just changing the chances of a four egg clutch, and /nothing else/, is acceptable. I love multi clutches, but I can certainly live with more three eggs clutches than fours if it opens up past CBs to new players.

Kinda wondering, since Holidays can only reproduce themselves during a single week of every year, why would ratios apply?

Also, there seem to be a fair number of people who manage variously to collect larger amounts than usual (40, 50, 80, and in at least one case mentioned, apparently even over a hundred) of the CB Halloweens when they're Released, something that many others haven't managed, while some have no CBs at all - would an increased number of these CB Halloweens in total existence on active scrolls actually have any deleterious effect on the site? unsure.gif

I'm with Pie here. It would be very confusing for new users and users returning after long breaks. It would also be rather frustrating to have to pick up egg after egg in the hopes to get one CB out of the AP. I have a list open for all my holidays so that people can ask to have me breed for them if they want. One of the things that new users ask me is "how many can I pick up?" We even see new users confused over the present CB limits for the holidays when they do come out. While it's true that some of the new eggs do get kicked to the AP, it would be very confusing to be told to specifically look for past CBs in the AP.

I'd be okay with a temporary extra biome.

There are always cbs to be found in the ap. I don't think new players are so stupid that finding holiday ones there would "confuse" them. If they are that new it wo t seem strange to them anyway! Some people drop the new ones there as it is. I still don't support any change to multis though.

There are always cbs to be found in the ap. I don't think new players are so stupid that finding holiday ones there would "confuse" them. If they are that new it wo t seem strange to them anyway! Some people drop the new ones there as it is.  I still don't support any change to multis though.

I didn't imply that they were stupid. I said they would probably be confused to be told to look for past CB holidays in the AP when the new CB holidays are in the cave. Or they would be confused over the limits.

Edited by Jazeki

By that logic, we should get rid of CB Rares in general.

If TJ really thinks some reduction is needed (although I'd beg he reconsider), I still think just changing the chances of a four egg clutch, and /nothing else/, is acceptable. I love multi clutches, but I can certainly live with more three eggs clutches than fours if it opens up past CBs to new players.

At least regular rares drop all year round. Not that I'd see them, but obviously some people do. ninja.gif

But right now, the suggestion seems to be to allow everyone to try for some extra old holidays, preferably with no limits at all or only 2 growing things per breed (save Halloweens), of course all in the name of "making them available to new players". However, it's going to be the fastest players who are going to get the "rare or uncommon" old holidays. Plus, they're supposed to be dropped in an extra biome, where they can easily be caught with "little helpers". As a result, multiclutches need to be reduced.

Overall, this doesn't add up. Either this is supposed to benefit players who don't have their allot of CBs yet, which would mean that the current limits need to apply and an additional limit on Halloweens would need to get implemented, or it's going to benefit the same people who always benefit, while everyone else loses out (and even gets less of a chance at catching bred holidays).

Right now, the suggestion only serves to make catching lineaged holidays harder, which was something even slower catchers could do with some effort - even very nice lineages. In exchange, the very fastest clickers are supposed to be able to get something extra special - because, let's face it, slower clickers won't be able to get anything rare or uncommon that everybody and their grandmother wants.

No support. Not now, not in a thousand years. Not without substantial changes to the suggestion.

Also, since nobody commented on this:

Overall, this suggestion is a nightmare to balance. I'd prefer old holidays to be available through other means, like an in-game shop, instead of a re-release. Alternately, any one old holiday sprite could be available through mini games. Let's take mana alchemy, for instance. If you won it at least 10 times, you could choose one old Valentine dragon egg. If you won it at least 100 times, you'd be able to choose two old Valentine dragon eggs. If you played it 1000 times, you could choose three old Valentine dragon eggs. And so on.

A progression like this would make sure nobody could get too many, not even through grinding - but TJ could implement a cap at 1000 anyway, just in case. Plus, scroll limits for old CB holiday breeds might not even be needed at all, since everyone is limited to 3 old ones per year and event.

Alternately, for the Egg Hunts or Trick or Treat events, the progression could be 1/4 of all items found for one old holiday egg, 1/2 for 2 old holiday eggs and all items found for 3 old holiday eggs. Maybe reward players with another old holiday egg for completing another available task, like the story/adventure we got for Christmas or Halloween.

Please take into account that these numbers are just made up out of thin air, the actual numbers might be quite different. I'd still like to see some kind of exponential growth for unlimited mini games, though.