Pixxelation

Holiday Rereleases

It seems as if there is there is only a problem with this suggestion because players are having to compromise or feel as if their dragon is going to lose value (though this reason isn't as apparent as it has been with anything involving the increase in access to prize dragons).

For me, this isn't about value of my old CBs, and I'm still lacking some I'd love to have (pumpkins, original Vals, yules, real CB vamps, hollies). I'm more worried about the new ones being used up as trading fodder, repeating the gold debacle we currently experience.

I think an idea to solve this - that could work even without set limits - is if the "old" event eggs were untradeable. You could abandon them, maybe even without a 5-hour-wait, but not trade them. It wouldn't hurt players catching for their own scroll much (although they couldn't trade what they did get for what they'd have preferred to get), but would sure hinder cheaters from abusing this for trading power or boosting any one scroll.

I'd still favor limits of 2 growing CBs of old event breed eggs (eg 2 hollies + 2 yules + ...) just to make sure. Yes, even for Halloweens. Right now, it's impossible to get any old CBs at all, and you can always try for 2 more a year later.

There are scroll limits and the event itself is limited, so even if a person does catch a past CB holiday and wants to trade it for something like a low gen prize or a CB gold or something, this doesn't mean that it's stopping new players or old players who need CB holidays from catching them as well and still being able to benefit from whatever is in the AP.

Actually, the reverse is true. Some very fast catchers, especially cheaters, could catch multiples of everything old CB, trade them off for an IOU, rinse, repeat. Imagine someone who used "illegal means of obtaining specific eggs quickly" and had more than one scroll. Imagine several someones doing that. The situation will be just like with CB golds, there will be the few fast catchers getting everything, and the rest being left in the dust for years on end. Thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by olympe

I still do not get the hostility towards unlimited past CB halloweens.

There is no hostility on my part. I am equally uninterested in EVERY holiday release. I get my limits, and then they just sit there for a year doing nothing, since I cant even reliably breed the balloons I need from them. I dont even breed most of my holidays during breeding windows, I far prefer hunting the ap for the random non holiday eggs.

The reason I said to limit halloweens, was more of a tongue in cheek thing. Halloweens have no limits. I would rather not see cb releases taking up space in the cave, as its already hard enough for me to get halloween dragons (I work a convention every year that draws in 18k+ people. Using the wifi, I'm sharing my connection with at least half that. Using the 4g, well,I get charged for using canadian air time, even though im NOT in Canada, just across the river from it).

If there was a way to do holiday releases where the new ones get precedence, and then the old versions can be mixed in later, sure, by all means, release them. If old ones being re-released is going to be at the expense of being able to hunt the newer cbs as easily as we have in the past though... no. I would far rather break the game and have a shop or something else..

Hmm, first, I have not finished reading through the entire thread yet, so my thoughts might already be stated elsewhere...

I, myself, have 2 CBs of every holiday release except: Holly, Yulebuck, and the original Valentine. So, this idea has very little effect on me either way.

I do think it would be nice, particularly for the older breeds to get more "new" blood for lineages. Nor do I really see any downsides.

With Halloweens, I don't see much point in limiting them if they aren't limited now. and purely selfish reasoning says I would love to have more CB marrows than the measly two I managed to get from someone else due to not being able to catch them at all myself. (only release I ever had that problem with, but I digress) I really only try for 2 Halloweens most years anyway, but the Marrows are one of my favorite all time dragons...

They've also already made CB Vampires available to everyone and they started as a Halloween release, so why not the rest of the Holiday dragons.

Thuban has a good point though, They need to drop in a way that doesn't interfere with hunting for the new dragons, though I feel that should apply to all of them, not just the Halloween ones. Knowing how many players post every holiday that they never managed to catch even one... Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what the best way to solve that would be. I'd say just have them spawn in the AP, but I think that would make it harder for the cave to distinguish generation and limits. ;/

They've also already made CB Vampires available to everyone and they started as a Halloween release, so why not the rest of the Holiday dragons.

TRUE CBs vamps are NOT available to everyone. TRUE CBs have no "bitten by" thing. Just saying.

Breeding season for Holiday dragons start before the NEW release starts dropping. So why not let OLD holidays start dropping at the beginning of the breeding season? Then when the NEW release starts, stop dropping the old releases. That way you get a chance at both types without them interfering with each other.

But I still don't like the idea of getting more than 2 caveborns of ANY old Winter or V'day dragon. For me, that would mean I only have a chance to catch Holly dragons, because I already have 2 caveborns of every other Winter and V'day dragon.. which I'm perfectly happy with. To keep things fair for everyone, the 2 caveborns per scroll limit MUST stay in place for Winter and V'day dragons. If you want more Winter or V'day dragons, breed them yourself or catch bred ones from the AP.

As for Halloween.. TJ himself says that Halloween is all about being greedy. So using my same example from above... drop OLD caveborn Halloween dragons when breeding season starts, then stop the drops when the NEW caveborn Halloween dragon is released. Catch as many as you can and have fun trading.

Plus, if we have to compromise somewhere... a reduction in multi-clutches is fine by me. Because truthfully, I get tired of hunting the AP when all I'm catching are eggs from the same ugly breeding, over and over and over again. Nice bred lines don't hang around in the AP, so you wind up with nothing but the ugly eggs and the hope that you catch something cool every once in a while. Fewer eggs means more chances at cool lines, and fewer ugly eggs to sort thru.

I think Olympe has a pretty decent idea about making them untradeable. Then the most any one person could get would be 7 at a time (though I still think that's a lot and would likely cause TJ to affect multi clutch more than I care for.) It would nearly solve the issue of the same people just snagging them all. It seems to me the whole point of this thread is to give people who missed them or froze their original when there were scroll limits on them the chance to get what they missed. Anything which greatly compromises this goal is not productive and is likely to devolve into arguments about how the game only rewards the fast catchers and cheaters. I'm a fast catcher and could stand to make a tidy profit if it was unlimited. However, I'm more interested in a good approach for everyone, as a whole.

Here's how the HMs and the really old CB holidays (holly through rosebud) continue to stay special if this is implemented: they all have cave status. Re-releases of any of these breeds will not because biomes are in place.

I wonder how many people honestly care about that. I almost never see people asking for vamps bitten from original release vamps instead of from 'generations' down the road. I'm sure some people do, but do we have any idea whether it's actually a big enough draw that it's worth it? Is still really love to hear from an HM owner who has done trades to see if people just want the lineage or care about the HM status, as well as how they feel about the whole thing. Trying to keep an open mind to address all concerns. Could a comment even be made on that? If old hollies and HM hollies look identical (both no biome), can we even know many people would care? It doesn't affect me at all. Again, I'm just trying to hear from the people it WOULD affect most.

Edited by harlequinraven

Plus, if we have to compromise somewhere... a reduction in multi-clutches is fine by me. Because truthfully, I get tired of hunting the AP when all I'm catching are eggs from the same ugly breeding, over and over and over again. Nice bred lines don't hang around in the AP, so you wind up with nothing but the ugly eggs and the hope that you catch something cool every once in a while. Fewer eggs means more chances at cool lines, and fewer ugly eggs to sort thru.

I feel the need to point out that this is incorrect. The reason there are "so many" uglies is because people are keeping the pretties.... And the reduction in multi-clutches affects ALL generations.

So while there are less uglies, there will be fewer pretties, which puts a huge premium on the pretty ones, which means that no pretty one will be thrown back..... And that only the uglies will stay. So same situation, or worse one, than we have now. It'll probably be worse, come to think of it.

The only way to change that is to put a booster on the pretties, so they produce more. Which.... Yea, the only way I can think of to do that is based on generation, probably of the egg. Which has its faults, but at least it'll reduce the number of really ugly ones.

Otherwise....

My thoughts to date:

- Keeping the 2 CBs per scroll limit for Christmas and Valentines is an ABSOLUTE MUST for those 2 holidays! So since I have 2 CB Snow Angels.... I can't catch anymore Snow Angels. But I can catch Yulebucks and Hollies. This will level the playing field for those with slow connections pretty fast, as the faster connections grab their 2 and then can't grab more.

- Halloween needs to be unlimited, or at most limited to an x-per-year type deal. Anything that says you can only have x total Halloweens is a total no-go for me.

- Let them all be trade able.

YES, this means they will be used as trade fodder. And yes, it means that the cheaters will end up with very nice scrolls out of it and for the first few years they'll get all of them. But eventually, they'll run out of trade partners who don't have 2 of each. And it'll still spread the 2nd gens more widely.

- Reducing multi-clutches WILL reduce the number of pretty lineages in the AP, and the AP will have just as many uglies in it as before, because they are the ones that just sit there and aren't taken. Yes, this WILL harm those with slower connections. Yes, it WILL force them to trade for the pretties they can no longer catch.... Because there are so many fewer of them available. And NO, they will not be able to catch the older Halloweens in the Cave.

- I do NOT support this idea if multi-clutches are dropped to 2 max, or go away entirely. That makes it far too hard for so many of our players to get what they want at a time when they often don't have time to devote to DC.

- If multi-cluthes are only dropped to 3, I think I can support. It would be better, though, if shorter generation eggs could still produce 4 and the much higher gens were reduced to 2. That would keep the number of 2nd gens and 3rd gens up, while reducing the number of uglies produced, which gives those less advantaged players a fighting chance at the Good Stuff.

Cheers!

C4.

- Let them all be trade able.

YES, this means they will be used as trade fodder. And yes, it means that the cheaters will end up with very nice scrolls out of it and for the first few years they'll get all of them. But eventually, they'll run out of trade partners who don't have 2 of each. And it'll still spread the 2nd gens more widely.

That idea sure as heck doesn't work for Halloweens, though. Not if there are no limits.

So, maybe a trade ban on Halloweens only, but no scroll limits in exchange?

That being said, there are hundreds of prize owners, many of which might not have all the CBs yet. That's hundreds of potential trading partners for people intent on abusing old holidays as trading fodder - at least the newer players. Older players who already have two of each old holiday wouldn't be able to do so, as they couldn't catch any extras for Winter and V'day events for trading. Which would put older players at a disadvantage, kinda sorta. Or make them decide to release old CBs so they can trade - which probably isn't what this suggestion is supposed to accomplish.

And honestly... I would FAR RATHER have 4 egg multi-cluch chance than more CBs, even if that means I dont have CB Hollies, Yulebucks and Val 09s.

The AP Wall is the Great Equalizer. It gives people with slow connections / computers / reaction speeds a fighting chance to get the really good lineages. When there are 2 or 3 potential eggs of really nice lineages, there's a much better chance that at least 1 will find its way to someone who isn't as well-equipped than if there was just 1 or 2 eggs.

I agree with this 100%. I love the holiday multiclutches, and I don't want to trade them off for a slim chance at an older cb holiday.

If the older holidays are not made easily available, it will be the same privileged users with fast connections that get most of them. And while people argument that more cb holidays will lead to more 2nd gens, I keep wondering if those will ever show up in the AP if we have to reduce multiclutches to get the cb in the first place. I think 2nd gens might be even less available because they don't end up in the AP.

Personally, I'd prefer old holidays available as raffle prizes. Maybe even have a raffle for each holiday? We wouldn't need extra events, completing whatever event there is would get you the holiday badge and one raffle ticket. Keep it simple, no code-picking, no redrawing. Just the raffle itself, a fairly high number of holiday prizes, and only one round of giving out the holidays. But equal chances for everyone...

I like Cinnamin's idea of having old CBs available during the holiday breeding period. I was going to mention that in my post, but it slipped my mind.

Also, I'm not really sure why we have to focus on abuse and methods to cheat the system. Every year people end up with sometimes hundreds of CB holidays on one scroll using some kind of method to get them. When these numbers are in the hundreds, it has less to do with speed and more to do with trading ability/clout/something else since a person could hypothetically catch 14 eggs max in the three day drop (assuming they have a gold trophy and use incubate).

The trade for CB golds/silvers/ fancy lineages is subjective. It depends on what people want. Last year, I did catch a CB silver just before Halloween and I traded it for an IOU of two desipis hatchlings. This was the first year that I was able to get anything more than the limit for a CB Halloween. Beyond this one fluke stroke of luck, I have never paid attention to people asking for x number of CBs shiny things or low gen prizes in exchange for CB holidays. I already know I probably won't have what I need on hand and therefore I should focus on catching what I can get.

The introduction of old CB holidays would mean that they could be uncommon/rare as suggested in the OP or relatively easy to get as with Cinnamin's suggestion of having them drop during the breeding period. Regardless, it still means that people have a chance (however slim) at getting them rather than missing out completely because they weren't fast enough, had other arrangements, etc.

Unrelated to the the rest, I still support the 2 holiday dragon limit for everything but the Halloweens and limiting the trading ability for old Halloweens is fine. I also mentioned CB old holidays because they allow people to breed out of season for the copper colors that they want without being tied to looking for dragons from certain biomes.

Edited by Jazeki

Also, I'm not really sure why we have to focus on abuse and methods to cheat the system. Every year people end up with sometimes hundreds of CB holidays on one scroll using some kind of method to get them. When these numbers are in the hundreds, it has less to do with speed and more to do with trading ability/clout/something else since a person could hypothetically catch 14 eggs max in the three day drop (assuming they have a gold trophy and use incubate).

VERY Good Point!!!

Why keep focusing on the negative aspects? Focus on how this will HELP newbies and those whose real lives kept them from participating on previous holidays.

No matter what we do or say, someone will find a way to cheat. It's predictable and enevitable due to human nature.. not everyone is honest. But what about US the honest folk.. those of us who do discuss things and ways to make things better? Why should the cheaters get all of the attention? Are they the majority, or are US honest folk the majority.

Maybe if we quit worrying about what MIGHT go wrong, and concentrate on what we would like to see happen, we might actually accomplish something and show TJ that we CAN agree on something sometimes.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

That idea sure as heck doesn't work for Halloweens, though. Not if there are no limits.

So, maybe a trade ban on Halloweens only, but no scroll limits in exchange?

That being said, there are hundreds of prize owners, many of which might not have all the CBs yet. That's hundreds of potential trading partners for people intent on abusing old holidays as trading fodder - at least the newer players. Older players who already have two of each old holiday wouldn't be able to do so, as they couldn't catch any extras for Winter and V'day events for trading. Which would put older players at a disadvantage, kinda sorta. Or make them decide to release old CBs so they can trade - which probably isn't what this suggestion is supposed to accomplish.

You are making the false assumption that all Prize Owners will want tons and tons of each CB Halloween. From my own experience.... The answer to that is no, they won't. Oh, some will want lots of certain breeds, but in the main? No, Prize owners will likely be satisfied within a year or two, even of the unlimited Halloweens.

How do I know? Because any Prize owner who was here already HAS their fill of CB Desipsis, Graves, Cavern Lurkers, and Shadow Walkers.... Because they were so easy to get and trade for for those with decent amounts of trade fodder. So, why would a CB Prize owner trade for a Halloween they already have their fill of.... When they could trade for something they want more... Like the coming new Halloween, or bred hatchies, or rent scroll slots? Precious few, that's who. Oh you'll get a crazy collector or three, but in the main? Those 4 breeds won't have enough demand from the top portions of the market to make them unobtainable by others.

And despite their age and beauty, I think Marrows and Pumpkins will fare the same. The first year or 2, even with no limits and trading, people will be filling out their collections. Then they will be much easier to get.

One glance at my scroll should show anyone that I'm... overly fond of Marrows, and Halloweens in general. And yet.... Despite that, I would NOT trade for CB Marrows, and I'd only trade for enough CB Pumpkins to get me the 2 males I never got.

Why wouldn't I? Why would a fanatical collector of Marrows such as myself NOT want more CB Marrows? Simple! Because every slot I devote to CB Marrows (of which I already have 4) is one less LINEAGED Marrow I can have.... And I can advance my Marrow lineages just ONCE a year. Just. Once. So why would I give that slot to something I already have, when I could give it to something I don't have? Answer: I wouldn't.

Not everyone is like me, but then... A lot of people also only collect x number... And not a single one more. So I think in the end, even without limits, Marrows and Pumpkins would be reasonably obtainable after 2 or 3 years by most people.

But what still worries me is that to do this, multi-clutches would be reduced. That..... Yea. From 4 to 3 would probably be ok, but any further reduction would make it way too hard to get the older breeds, at least until the new CBs started breeding.

Idea:

Has anyone considered, instead of having them drop as uncommon in the Biomes, having them drop as uncommons straight into the AP? That way, anyone has a random chance at getting that coveted CB.... Because you never know if the egg you are clicking on is CB.... or a long lined fugly.

Cheers!

C4.

Breeding season for Holiday dragons start before the NEW release starts dropping. So why not let OLD holidays start dropping at the beginning of the breeding season? Then when the NEW release starts, stop dropping the old releases. That way you get a chance at both types without them interfering with each other.

But I still don't like the idea of getting more than 2 caveborns of ANY old Winter or V'day dragon. For me, that would mean I only have a chance to catch Holly dragons, because I already have 2 caveborns of every other Winter and V'day dragon.. which I'm perfectly happy with. To keep things fair for everyone, the 2 caveborns per scroll limit MUST stay in place for Winter and V'day dragons. If you want more Winter or V'day dragons, breed them yourself or catch bred ones from the AP.

As for Halloween.. TJ himself says that Halloween is all about being greedy. So using my same example from above... drop OLD caveborn Halloween dragons when breeding season starts, then stop the drops when the NEW caveborn Halloween dragon is released. Catch as many as you can and have fun trading.

This times 100! Thank you Cinnamin for eloquently explaining my thoughts on this matter.

TRUE CBs vamps are NOT available to everyone. TRUE CBs have no "bitten by" thing. Just saying.

There was a time you could get a CB vamp without the "bitten by", so some older players who missed the original vamp release may have some like this one. http://dragcave.net/lineage/Mi71

Why keep focusing on the negative aspects? Focus on how this will HELP newbies and those whose real lives kept them from participating on previous holidays.

No matter what we do or say, someone will find a way to cheat. It's predictable and enevitable due to human nature.. not everyone is honest. But what about US the honest folk.. those of us who do discuss things and ways to make things better? Why should the cheaters get all of the attention? Are they the majority, or are US honest folk the majority.

Maybe if we quit worrying about what MIGHT go wrong, and concentrate on what we would like to see happen, we might actually accomplish something and show TJ that we CAN agree on something sometimes.

The thing is that a re-release will only help newbies or people who couldn't participate in the holiday event if[/b] the old eggs are available to them. Which won't be the case if the drops can be abused too badly by cheaters. So, in order to actually make these old holidays available to as many new players / players who missed the event, we need to consider cheaters and how to stop them from gaining too much from cheating. After all, if these eggs drop as rares or uncommons, they won't be easily available.

You are making the false assumption that all Prize Owners will want tons and tons of each CB Halloween. From my own experience.... The answer to that is no, they won't. Oh, some will want lots of certain breeds, but in the main? No, Prize owners will likely be satisfied within a year or two, even of the unlimited Halloweens.
It's not just prize owners, but also owners of CB hollies, CB spriter's alts (which, I admit, are very few indeed) or people with the ability to catch lots of CB metals or who make neglecteds. Or whatever else is worth trading your baby Halloweens away for.

Idea:

Has anyone considered, instead of having them drop as uncommon in the Biomes, having them drop as uncommons straight into the AP? That way, anyone has a random chance at getting that coveted CB.... Because you never know if the egg you are clicking on is CB.... or a long lined fugly.

This sounds pretty awesome, actually. Because it would prevent cheating, but still allow trading. Right now, I don't see any way this could be exploited (save by multi-scrolling - and even then, it would take a lot of effort because scripts alone hopefully wouldn't work for this).

I actually like the idea of the CB eggs being dropped into the AP. It would keep the AP a nice place to catch for everyone while allowing TJ to reduce multiclutch numbers to a level he's comfortable with. It would keep the majority in the AP rather than the biomes so people trying to get rares while people are preoccupied aren't faced with way more competition than they normally get, and while players could try to hunt specifically for CB holidays they'll probably find some neat eggs in the process to deter those not 100% dedicated to filling up on those CBs.

Edited by Tehya Faye

For those of you insisting that scroll limits need to be kept to two, could you please explain the thinking behind that?

I really don't see a downside to allowing people to add say one additional cb of each breed to their scroll each year. Where is the negative in player A having 3 yulebucks as opposed to player B only having 2 yulebucks because they are newer. To me that's kind of like saying we should do away with the limitations that go with the trophy levels because 'it's not fair' to newer players. I don't see anything unfair about some players having more of whatever than other players. It happens all over the place in this game, why do holidays have to be different in that regard?.

I love this idea! As a newer player who took a stupid hiatus over the Desipis and Mistletoe releases (my first Holiday events and I missed them completely...) I would absolutely love to see this happen!

Basically I just want to catch a CB Pumpkin or two for a lineage project xd.png

As far as limits on Halloweens go... Why have a limit? There are already people with tons of CB halloweens, and I don't see how allowing players to grab as many as they like out of either the biomes or AP (and either way fairly uncommon) changes much.

And if people are so desperate for more that they trade, well done them! They must really need those Holidays for something. Why is it a problem?

@Tawanda- Because it allows all users to realistically catch up with whatever goals they have in a short amount of time without having to compete further with people who are just catching CB V-days or Christmas dragons because "Hey, I can do with another one on my scroll." Christmas and V-day are about sharing/love/warm holiday fuzzies. Halloween is not.

For me, I would be adding hopefully adding one more snow angel, one more sweetling, two hollies, two Val '09s, and two yulebucks. I don't think that it's necessary/ fair for me to catch a third of any other non-Halloween holiday that I have when other people have none.

This is mostly being suggested for people to have a chance to get what they are missing, not to arbitrarily add to their existing holiday count.

Edited by Jazeki

For those of you insisting that scroll limits need to be kept to two, could you please explain the thinking behind that?

I really don't see a downside to allowing people to add say one additional cb of each breed to their scroll each year. Where is the negative in player A having 3 yulebucks as opposed to player B only having 2 yulebucks because they are newer. To me that's kind of like saying we should do away with the limitations that go with the trophy levels because 'it's not fair' to newer players. I don't see anything unfair about some players having more of whatever than other players. It happens all over the place in this game, why do holidays have to be different in that regard?.

Its a matter of competition, really. Especially for the earlier Holidays, many of those who missed out are the players LEAST able to catch uncommons / rares. If everyone can get another, then the demand skyrockets.

Mind, if the old ones drop as *commons*, that's not a big deal! Or if they dump to the AP, where there's as much chance of a fugly as a CB, that's also a much smaller deal. And I would LOVE to get 2 CB Solstices with the Blue Wings to go with my Sunsets, and more CBs of the others would be nice (especially Snow angels, finding trades with the right wings is brutal!).

But in the end, those two Holidays are about giving, and need to be as stress free as we can make them for the players who, for the rest of the year, are at a severe disadvantage.

The other aspect is those who don't like Holidays. If the old ones dropped common enough that the slower players can get them in the *Biomes*, then they are common enough to cause problems for those who do NOT want more Holidays, and want to hunt regular eggs.

Cheers!

C4.

Speaking from my own selfish viewpoint, I would hate to lose the Holiday Walls - and as has been pointed out, the likelihood of most players being able to catch desired dragons in the Cave would be pretty much nil, if dropped as UnCommons...

The success of this would so very much depend on how it was handled, as to whether it worked for the membership in general or wound up being 'trade fodder time' for a few and a disappointment for many, on becoming a frantic and potentially fruitless ordeal rather than the relaxed Holiday fun we've been enjoying in recent years, especially considering that many have family commitments at such times and may be able to spare very little time for DC.

I hadn't been thinking about CB Hollies (grossly over-tired these days, lol,) but this would indeed be a way of preventing their eventual extinction if they're not to be distributed in the Raffle.

General thoughts/fantasies:

We were previously discussing raising the cap on Limited CB Holidays to 4 in total, which was generally agreed on that thread to be reasonable.

If we do not have annual limits on past CB Halloweens, however, the fastest will have plenty and everyone else will be out of luck, although this is likely to happen anyway, if they're Dropped at unCommon rates.

If the previous Holidays (older than 3 years back) were to be run in a Cave Flood during that breeding week, there would be a lot less Holiday breeding done, due to room issues, also giving everyone a chance to catch at least something they wanted/needed.

I'm lucky enough to have my current limit of all previous Limited CBs apart from Hollies so that even with postulated increased CB limits, there are only specific sprites I'd want as CBs, at least initially, and there are many others in a similar position, so there would likely be a much higher demand rate regarding certain more-widely desired/less obtainable sprites.

At Christmas, (this being my fantasy, and that being Christmas and all) I'd like to see a far higher rate of specifically CB Hollies Dropped than of the others, giving everyone a chance at DC's iconic Christmas sprite.

We're mostly here to collect dragons, not support trade values over their sprites and uses, after all, and the '07s and HMs would always be special anyway.

I'd personally rather see potential clutch size reduced to 3 than 2, especially as most people would breed far more selectively and probably later in the week as well, and many of us try to breed lineages that other people would like and be able to use, which can only be obtained at one brief period each year, although many checkers and others can be bred through the year for lineage progress toward the following year and for gifting - assuming that they've been able to get what they needed to proceed throughout that year or at the next breeding season, either from the AP or from swapping, something far less likely achievable with few or no extras hitting the AP.

Although if we have to have a trade-off bringing the Holiday clutch potential to two in order to expand lineage start/continuation potential for so many in that area, I expect it would over-all be worth-while.

But if the older Holidays were to be Dropped as unCommons in a mixed Cave and there were to be fewer Holiday breds in the AP, I'm afraid that Holidays would become dreaded again by a large portion of the membership...

And while some people might especially hate having everything devoted to Holidays only during these period, it would be only for these periods a total of 3 times a year and would make an awful lot of people very happy, and so, over-all, be worth-while.

Bringing this up since some similar ideas are being expressed, and would like to add that I like olympe's idea of old Holidays being abandonable but not tradeable, which also does away with any need for annual scroll limits on older Halloween eggs.

I don't know why/how much the Holiday multi-clutches would need to be reduced with older Holidays Dropped, because people would presumably be breeding more selectively IF they were picking up older Holidays and leaving less room for breeding/immediate AP hunting.

This would not so much apply of course if the older Holidays were Dropped at unCommon/rare rates as only those engaging in what would likely be fruitless hunting for most would need to keep any spots free for that and would likely be AP hunting instead.

As someone very gradually putting together several Holiday lineages, I have to admit that keeping the multi-clutches at a high rate would be more appealing to me personally than bringing back older Holidays in such Releases, but the overall good done to the site by people being able to get previous CB Holidays used in so many lineages adds a great deal of weight to the suggestion, as this also affects what lines/lineages they can take/start - and prevents the older CB Holidays from dwindling through attrition as well.

However, my personal fantasy would see these older Holidays Dropped at good rates and with the typical slow biome movement and the increased lack of room at such times for people taking Commons to Drop at least 5 hours later, not that many Holidays would likely show at points when it's especially likely that a number of members might not be able to put much time in.

If the numbers of total limited CB Holidays were raised to 4 (as was previously discussed in another thread, and which would also increase the chances of a successful pairing even with the current potential for Refusals) and the mix of Holidays (previously suggested as those having been Released more than 3 years earlier) were Flooded (at least initially and for at least several days) the Cave would move and people could grab what they needed and run, if their time was limited, something especially likely to be an issue around Christmas.

This would prevent our nice, relaxing Holiday Releases from turning into another stress-inducer, as it otherwise would.

The idea of an AP Drop of older CB Holidays sounds nice and I suppose that would involve the theoretical mass breeding of wild Holidays with unknown ancestry, but I guess we dunno what TJ would think of that or, of course, of any part of this. So I suppose we can suggest away and see what, if anything, comes of this, or doesn't, as the case may be. laugh.gif

But I'd personally really rather not go back to stressful Releases, which are really no fun at all.

As far as limits on Halloweens go... Why have a limit? There are already people with tons of CB halloweens, and I don't see how allowing players to grab as many as they like out of either the biomes or AP (and either way fairly uncommon) changes much.

And if people are so desperate for more that they trade, well done them! They must really need those Holidays for something. Why is it a problem?

The difference is that Halloweens drop in whole walls during their release. However, what's being suggested now is an uncommon/rare re-release of old holidays. No limits on catching + no limits on trading = debacle for everyone but the fastest.

Though if they're mixed in with the bred AP eggs then it'll simply be a question of who is lucky enough to pick one up. smile.gif

Though if they're mixed in with the bred AP eggs then it'll simply be a question of who is lucky enough to pick one up. smile.gif

As I said before, this just might work.

Why not just make the Halloweens more common, compared to the other holidays? Christmas and Valentine's *need* to be rare, or the biomes will end up flooded with eggs nobody can catch. If the Halloweens were more common, people would have an easier time catching them, and they'd have less value. Making them entirely untradeable would be silly though, IMO, especially for code hunters and the like.

Also, I see no reason that someone shouldn't be able to trade for unlimited CBs. I have 89 Desipises because of trading and gifts, and I think anyone should have that ability with CB Halloweens, should they be rereleased.

Edited by PieMaster

I don't think I'd want the hassle of trying to manage trading 89 pumpkins and them all growing up correctly on my scroll LOL! But I self-limited myself to 4 pumpkins when they came out because there were folks that couldn't catch them and I could easily have had more. I would nab a few extra, but not enough that I'd shut out my lineage projects either. The AP doesn't bother me one way or the other as I would try to trade for them rather than catch them myself.

/grabby