Pixxelation

Holiday Rereleases

Nooo, then i prefer clutches over CB holidays.

I love scavenging the AP for goodies

This is how I feel too. I like this idea, but not at the cost of reducing current Holiday multi-clutches. I really like how it is right now, and I don't want to see the average get smaller. :c

Idk if that feels necessary, at least IMO. The CBs would only be an uncommon-to-rare drop, anyway, so it's not like there'd be a super high chance of finding them, and for Christmas and V-Day, there's a limit of 2-per-user. If anything, just a reduced chance of 4-egg clutches seems like it would compensate fine; anything more runs the risk of undersupplying.

This.

And honestly... I would FAR RATHER have 4 egg multi-cluch chance than more CBs, even if that means I dont have CB Hollies, Yulebucks and Val 09s.

The AP Wall is the Great Equalizer. It gives people with slow connections / computers / reaction speeds a fighting chance to get the really good lineages. When there are 2 or 3 potential eggs of really nice lineages, there's a much better chance that at least 1 will find its way to someone who isn't as well-equipped than if there was just 1 or 2 eggs.

Mind, my opinion might change after the 2015 Holiday seasons (Halloween 2015, Christmas 2015, Valentine's 2016). It'll be the 3rd year since unlimited breds for Valentines and Christmas came to be, and we may well find ourselves drowning in eggs. Halloween already tends to be..... Quite interesting!

Though perhaps... If a change in eggs produced is needed, perhaps something like this along generational lines:

CB and 2nd gens: can produce 4 eggs

3rd and 4th gens: Can produce 3 eggs

5th gens and higher: 2 eggs

While that would have a negative effect on the highly-desirable (to me) higher gen checkers, it would also focus more of the egg production on those eggs that the less-advantaged players have the hardest time getting, while at the same time decreasing egg supply to the AP and adding old eggs to the Biomes.

Cheers!

C4.

I think if this were to happen, it'd be at the cost of holiday multiclutches (at least, they'd be rarer or smaller on average). Right now, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of most event breeds during their season--perhaps the opposite, even; if more were to be made available as CBs, bred egg counts would have to drop correspondingly.

Seems like a really rough trade off. But, given how well the holly re-release went, I'd be inclined towards accepting it.

I think though, that's probably something that would have to be tried before people would know what to do with it. So I'd be happy with a test run one year, then a public poll seeking to see if people thought it was worth keeping.

This.

And honestly... I would FAR RATHER have 4 egg multi-cluch chance than more CBs, even if that means I dont have CB Hollies, Yulebucks and Val 09s.

The AP Wall is the Great Equalizer. It gives people with slow connections / computers / reaction speeds a fighting chance to get the really good lineages. When there are 2 or 3 potential eggs of really nice lineages, there's a much better chance that at least 1 will find its way to someone who isn't as well-equipped than if there was just 1 or 2 eggs.

Mind, my opinion might change after the 2015 Holiday seasons (Halloween 2015, Christmas 2015, Valentine's 2016). It'll be the 3rd year since unlimited breds for Valentines and Christmas came to be, and we may well find ourselves drowning in eggs. Halloween already tends to be..... Quite interesting!

Though perhaps... If a change in eggs produced is needed, perhaps something like this along generational lines:

While that would have a negative effect on the highly-desirable (to me) higher gen checkers, it would also focus more of the egg production on those eggs that the less-advantaged players have the hardest time getting, while at the same time decreasing egg supply to the AP and adding old eggs to the Biomes.

Cheers!

C4.

I also thought about the lower the gen the higher the offsprings' number, but I didn't dare to propose it xd.png thanks for doing it, actually I like it.

Actually I still prefer the store idea over this one. This one is simple and neat, but I like the chance to add something new and fresh to the game that could be easy expanded as TJ prefers.

Edited by Naruhina_94

This.

Cheers!

C4.

This. I absolutely would rather have multiclutches than re-released CBs - MUCH more important to me. I'm not sure I like the idea of re-release at all, but if it WERE to happen, I would prefer it through something like the store - as long as NO grinding is needed.

I would not mind a trade off since I give most of my holiday offspring away anyway. I like C4's idea or that the least amount of eggs in a multiclutch remains at two.

Would limits and multiclutches being different for different generations even work? I know ratios don't take into consideration the generation. How much extra coding would that entail?

I don't mind a re-release if:

*I am not excluded from catching at least one CB of a breed I already have two of.

I don't really get the whole bit that everyone should only be allowed two ever. I've been here a long time, as have many of us, so if I have more of this or that than someone else it shouldn't be a problem, as long as they have a chance of getting what they want too. In a few years they can be the ones with more than the newbs just joining.

That's just kind of how life works, the longer you stick around and work at something the more you have to show for it. Things will never be totally fair, not even here on DC and this seems like one of those things that needs a compromise.

*I'd rather not see them as uncommon or rare. I think that sort of defeats the purpose of getting them into the hands of newer players. I do think they would be used as trade fodder and there just aren't that many newer players that have the sort of things to trade for rare or uncommon eggs.

IMO the new CBs that sit forever at the end of the holiday breeding period could benefit by having the old CB breeds start mixing in with them on the fourth day or so, maybe the older the breed the slightly more rare they are? For every holly that drops maybe there are three yules, six ribbon dancers and eight mistletoes, or something along those lines.

* I love muticlutches, my best holiday dragons are AP finds from spriter alts, thuweds and prizes multi-clutching. It's finding those babies that finally enabled me to trade for some of the harder to get lines that I wanted. I would hate to see that go away or be drastically reduced.

If we reduced multiclutching from a max of four to a max of three I think I could live with that. Maybe to compensate we could reduce the number of older CBs allowed to be kept to one of each breed per scroll? (excluding halloween breeds)

It's not ideal but it would let players start lineages and continue older ones, you really only need one CB yule to make a yule checker. Lineage building would take longer, but at least it wouldn't be impossible like it is now

Edited by Tawanda001

I have not weighed in on this before because it really wouldn't have affected me.

However, if it means we have to give up Holiday multi-clutches then I am dead set against it. I would get no benefit from it, since I already have CBs of everything except the Holly and I can live without that. I also wouldn't mind having an extra Pumpkin or two and a few more Black Marrows. But none of those are worth giving up the multi-clutches!

As it is now there is a delicious variety of lovely eggs in the AP to sift through and pick from. If no one gets multi-clutches there will be many fewer eggs to pick from and the ones that are there are likely to be ones that no one particularly wants. People who breed nice eggs are likely to either keep, trade, or gift them, leaving just the ones that are not as attractive.

What purplehaze said. This suggestion in itself doesn't bother me, but if it's at the expense of multi-clutches then Noooooo Way.

Only going off first post:

Keep the scroll limit that is in place when it comes to cb holidays. <~~which is covered, however, also have this include HALLOWEENS (Past versions should have scroll limit of 2 per year. Not sure how tjs coding would need to account for that, but im pretty ok with limiting past halloween dragons). At least then, if you really HAVE to ahve more cb pumpkins, you can get two more, but thats it for the year.

People, reread what TJ said. He didn't say it'd definitely get rid of multiclutches, he said it'd 'at least' make them rarer or smaller. Frankly, I'm in favor of smaller multiclutches.

Even if it's cut down to 2 or 3 eggs per clutch there will still be walls of eggs in the AP during holidays, because everyone will still breed their babies. 2 or 3 eggs per multiclutch is still a lot of eggs when thousands or hundreds of thousands of people are breeding all their holidays during that week.

I think what TJ is saying is, drop the number of multiclutches, and make up the difference with CBs to keep the proper ratios, just like normal dragons are now. It's just.... compressed into one week of frenzy rather than a full year.

People, reread what TJ said. He didn't say it'd definitely get rid of multiclutches, he said it'd 'at least' make them rarer or smaller. Frankly, I'm in favor of smaller multiclutches.

Even if it's cut down to 2 or 3 eggs per clutch there will still be walls of eggs in the AP during holidays, because everyone will still breed their babies. 2 or 3 eggs per multiclutch is still a lot of eggs when thousands or hundreds of thousands of people are breeding all their holidays during that week.

I think what TJ is saying is, drop the number of multiclutches, and make up the difference with CBs to keep the proper ratios, just like normal dragons are now. It's just.... compressed into one week of frenzy rather than a full year.

Even so - any change to multiclutches nixes this one for me. they are fine as they are. BRILLIANT, in fact.

Only going off first post:

Keep the scroll limit that is in place when it comes to cb holidays. <~~which is covered, however, also have this include HALLOWEENS (Past versions should have scroll limit of 2 per year. Not sure how tjs coding would need to account for that, but im pretty ok with limiting past halloween dragons). At least then, if you really HAVE to ahve more cb pumpkins, you can get two more, but thats it for the year.

I still do not get the hostility towards unlimited past CB halloweens.

People are afraid they will be like CB golds, seen but unseen. And that they'll give up the potential of finding a 2nd gen spriters alt in the AP they can trade for something of negligible value.

To me, the choice is between that one person that can breed a CB holly vrs the potential of adding 10 people that can. The one CB holy might multi clutch. It might not. But the 10 new would all produce at least one egg and all be unrelated, which is nice. So there is potential for gain among normal offspring. The only thing likely to get lower is spriter alt or prize 2nd gens.

I would not be above leveraging prize offspring for pumpkins. Love them. Would horde.

Pretty much, yeah. We lower the chance of getting special 2nd gens, but 2nd gens in general will be much more common. The new blood will help lineage projects move along, and it'll give people a chance to build a foundation they know will be 100% safe from alteration.

I've seen the idea expressed that having the old CBs allows a player to feel they have something limited, and this will devalue their old CB.

I feel the reverse is true, since people do look for dragons from specific time zones. Biomeless dragons breed differently with Coppers, and offspring are sought for specific breeding projects. People search for Vamp egg bitten by the original Vamps. Rarity of old lines means as much to some people as anything on the site. New CBs will not diminish the luster of the old lines.

I was there for the Marrow debacle. I could not catch a single one. I was unable to trade for them, since this was pre-Teleport, and I was not fast enough to catch anything moving through the AP. I was heart-broken, and there was nothing I could do to get one. I was there. And I still want CBs of those sublime dragons on my scroll. As many as I can get!

Edited by dragongrrl

I did read exactly what TJ said and he did not say we would definitely still have any size of multi-clutch. He said "at least make them rarer or smaller" not that they would "only" be made rarer or smaller.

And I stand by my position until I see TJ say we will definitely still get up to 3 eggs per clutch. Any reduction beyond that would just kill AP hunting during the holiday season.

I also agree with those who say that dropping those past years' CBs as uncommons will only benefit those with the fast connections and fast reflexes who can already get just about anything they want. I have no success at hunting uncommons in the cave. It was a real struggle for me to get my scroll goals of the Trios, Blusangs, and some of the others. I still have not gotten my goals of two of the three Coppers and Pyralspites. So I don't expect this would do me any good at all in gaining the few CBs I am lacking and would like to have. And it would do a great deal of harm to my being able to find nice lineages in the AP.

Edited by purplehaze

I think that there is always going to be some hostility towards a new feature/updated feature until it is implemented. We obviously don't know how this suggestion would turn out, but can only speculate.

There seemed to be no hesitation/dislike directed at the idea of being able to get past CB Christmas dragons as HM prizes. And that actually happened before being removed as a feature.It seems as if there is there is only a problem with this suggestion because players are having to compromise or feel as if their dragon is going to lose value (though this reason isn't as apparent as it has been with anything involving the increase in access to prize dragons).

If this were to be implemented, we would still probably see holiday walls (they may be the same size for V-day and Christmas due to the CB limit, but might not last as long) and there are still probably going to be nice lineages in the AP. I'm pretty sure that people aren't suddenly going to stop breeding nice eggs just because old holidays have been re-released.

It boils down to being able to work with the space you have in the time that you are given. Obviously, you have a few days before the actual holiday drop to stock up on bred dragons and you have time throughout the holiday drop and after to stock up on your CBs and your bred dragons.

I'll use myself as an example. It doesn't apply to everyone, but gives a look into how planning can be a benefit. This past Valentine's Day, I bred and gave away at least 20 holiday dragons. Holding an egg for each person took up space and time, sometimes multiple spots and long hours. I traded for at least five dragons. If they were eggs, they also took up space and time. I then did some AP hunting for eggs and caught my two heartstealers from the cave. When the event was over, I ended up with 28 adult past Valentine's day dragons. I just made sure to try and plan everything accordingly as most of my time was spent breeding for others and waiting for them to pick up eggs.

Sure, there will be fewer AP dragons to work with, but it isn't like they are going to disappear entirely. There are scroll limits and the event itself is limited, so even if a person does catch a past CB holiday and wants to trade it for something like a low gen prize or a CB gold or something, this doesn't mean that it's stopping new players or old players who need CB holidays from catching them as well and still being able to benefit from whatever is in the AP. Nor will they "dominate" the trade market for any length of time beyond maybe a few weeks after the holiday. You can still do whatever you want with your eggs that you breed or catch. And people will hopefully breed their old CB holidays the following year. If you miss out, you can try again the next year because they won't be limited edition anymore.

Edit: Because I forgot to add that "you" is general....like ustedes. xd.png

Edited by Jazeki

If the choice does come down to "do you want old CB Holidays in cave or do you want multiclutches" then I'll stay with multiclutches and support old CB Holidays being added in some other way instead (like the shop).

HOWEVER, if there was just a SLIGHT reduction in the chances of getting a multiclutch--or, better yet, just reduced odds of four egg clutches with no change to the odds of getting 1 / 2 / 3 size clutches--I could live with that. I adore multiclutches to death, but I could live with a wee bit less if it'd open up old holiday CBs to new players.

I'm far less worried about prizes when the discussion of prizes is brought up and more about HMs, to be honest. I don't have an HM, but I can imagine that people who chose holidays as HMs because of the rarity of hollies would really feel pretty upset about this. I don't know any HM owners to ask, unfortunately, so this is speculation. However, if someone was given the choice of a prize, a CB hybrid, or a dragon they could get as a regular (even if infrequent) cave drop as a raffle prize, most people are probably going to choose the prize or the CB hybrid. A few might still pick a regular drop just for the code or something, but I'm sure a lot of people chose a holly or some other dragon which they had not been able to get because they could not get it otherwise.

People are saying that it doesn't matter because HMs would still be valued, but really, is there ANY indication that that is truly the case? Yes, some people seek out vampires bitten by original release vampires, but most people only care that they are CB eggs or have a pretty lineage they like. I honestly don't think that many people are going to go seeking HM hollies, as an example, specifically unless they really love the code.

IF former holidays are re-released, I would really like to see something special given to the people who chose HMs thinking they were getting something that would remain special. Either a unique sprite, or maybe the choice of something else since they would be sort of robbed of having something unique. I would really like to hear some input from HM owners on this. I don't think I've ever actually SEEN an HM dragon to even know if there is some way to distinguish them, to be honest. O_O

As far as how I feel about them... Honestly, I am even more torn than before. I LOVE the holiday wall. IF the multiclutches were only somewhat reduced, I think it wouldn't be too bad. If 4 was still possible but 3 or less was the norm, I could live with that in exchange for CBs. If it made any significant dent in the current holiday wall, I would be really upset because I love finding lineages in there. I've never caught a 2nd gen from spriter's alt or a prize in the holiday wall, but some of my favourite combinations were a fluke I found in the AP and decided I adored. I might never have thought of the combo otherwise. It's FUN to AP hunt during the holiday. Sure there are slow days in which you pick up the same dratted egg or sibs of it over and over, but then there are days and times in which it moves so fast you never know what you might get.

I'd love to get my hands on some of my favourite holiday CBs that I missed out on, sure. I love rosebuds, and I'd adore some CBs of them. Maybe make a limit based on how long you've been on DC, if that is even possible? Like one of each breed rereleased for every year you have been on DC? Then people could not hoard them and turn them into nothing but trade fodder, but everyone would have a chance at getting at least one if they stuck around for a year of playing. It offers an incentive to stick around and keeps the numbers from getting out of control. Perhaps the oldest breeds you'd have to have played for an even longer amount of time before you can get one. Say 2 years instead of 1. MY biggest worry is how complicated that would be to code, though. I really don't know if it would be such a pain the butt so as not to be worth doing.

Yes, people will still breed even without multiclutches, but chances are most anything in high demand will just be spoken for either by the breeder or by someone else before the holiday even starts. The chances of anyone getting lucky and finding a spriter alt or prizekin egg in the AP is going to go way, way down. A lot of the nice lineages are probably also going to be spoken for beforehand, which is going to take a lot of the fun out of AP hunting. Quite a few of the awesome lineages I find in the AP WERE already claimed, and I just happened to find the APed multiclutches. I know this because I found them offered for trade in the holiday swap threads, the pre-holiday threads, etc. Or they were kept by the breeder.

I definitely don't want to just see an unlimited amount rereleased that anyone can snap up and use as trade fodder for everything, as that defeats the whole purpose of getting them into the hands of those without. I have nothing against prize owners and fast clickers (I am both, actually!). I could easily trade for quite a few of any dragon that was rereleased, even if it was an uncommon to rare drop. However, I think that really just...defeats the entire point of this idea and DOES bring about a reason to severely reduce multiclutches to keep numbers in check. Even only allowing one or two TOTAL rereleases on your scroll in any given year might help and would probably be a LOT easier to code. Then you would have to choose which breed(s) you wanted. Yes, hollies/pumpkins/val09s would still be a lot harder to get because people would probably go for those. That's alright, though. Some should be harder to get. Over time, with enough patience, more people would be able to get them.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea entirely, but unlimited amounts or severely reducing/eliminating multiclutches definitely swings me to the "DEAR GOD, PLEASE NO!" side of things.

tl;dr

• Are there any HM owners who can weigh in with their thoughts?
  • I vote NO if it severely reduces multiclutching.
  • I vote NO if it is not limited in some manner.

Here's how the HMs and the really old CB holidays (holly through rosebud) continue to stay special if this is implemented: they all have cave status. Re-releases of any of these breeds will not because biomes are in place.

I still don't know why you would want more than 8. If this did get implemented and was limiting past CB Halloweens you should be thankful you even can get one. As of now the only unlimited Halloween CB you can get is when it's a new release and I'm fine with that being unlimited, but for past CBs it should be limited. Let's not forget you can't get a past CB either. dry.gif Nada. 0.

As the suggestion says they'll be uncommon to rare, not blocking the biomes 24/7 like a new Halloween release would for a couple days. It will be pricey for those that would like at least 2 of each breed, but cannot catch because of connection. If anyone was smart and wanted to manipulate that they could easily fill up their scroll with a CB breed they didn't like and just profit just like that. This is abusable even if the 8 limit is implemented. Heck people purposely wait until a holiday egg is at 0d 1h and hatch it and then does the same at 0d 1-5h as a hatchling just to try and get maximum profit off the desperate. That's a thing quite a bit of players do (same goes for CB Seasonals). You already have people paying CB Trios for certain lineages they want and even then I've seen many of those trades fail. I've actually seen someone pay CB Coppers (when they were extremely rare) just for the highest PB you could get out of each Halloween breed too. It's pretty crazy as is.

Yeah yeah you can show your craze over a breed by the amount of CBs you have of it, but you can still do the same with the amount of lineaged as well. >o>'