PhantomoftheWolves

Games that not many people play/know

what games do you love that not many people play/know about?

I play a lot of Gallop Racer on the PS2. Not many people are really into this kind of stuff....

Edited by PhantomoftheWolves

Easier question: Games that everyone hates!

Answer: None! tongue.gif

Basically, if you come across a game you don't like, what are you going to do? Most likely, ignore it. If someone else likes it and plays it, they don't know you hate it. No matter how many people might dislike the game, you can't tell because they just ignore it. Unless they're one of those people who have to comment on EVERYTHING, but really, there aren't that many of those people.

I suggest instead "Games that not many people play/know about".

I'd say the least well-known game I really play is FnaF, because whenever I speak to anyone IRL they haven't heard of it. xd.png

Not counting the hordes of silly little Flash games I play on Newgrounds...

A game that every one seems to hate but I love?

Silent Hill 4: The Room.

I do recognize that this game is very flawed in many ways, mostly related to gameplay, weird sound effects and poor work on the character models, but there's lots of criticism and accusations aimed towards this game that I plainly don't agree with.

For me, the story is a very important part of a game, and when I figured out what was going on in the twisted world of this game, I was blown away by the ideas behind it. Jealous even, that I couldn't have come up with something like it. It is however somewhat flawed in that department too, in that the game is just a bit too subtle for its own good; it took me several playthroughs and some googling before I had understood the full extent of the story and the symbols, and even then there's plenty of very vague hints that can be discovered at every play. It seems like the production of the game was very rushed, which is a great shame.

I am slightly biased as well; this was the first survival horror game that really led me into the genre and the Silent Hill franchise, so it's got a special nostalgic place in my gaming heart.

Edited by Ripan

I'd say the least well-known game I really play is FnaF, because whenever I speak to anyone IRL they haven't heard of it. xd.png

FNAF is actually in my "A game everyone seems to love but I hate" category lol

FNAF is actually in my "A game everyone seems to love but I hate" category lol

agreed. I will never play any FNaF game because it is too popular

I'm fond of a little DS title known as Big Bang Mini and I have never met, seen or even heard of anyone who has played it. Really tough, especially the later stages, pretty-looking and sounding game and I like coming back to it every so often.

ppl make fun of cooking mama a lot but i like it...

also i really like the american mcgee's alice series but it doesnt seem to have a very big fanbase... to be fair it has some heavy/mature content, especially the sequel.

Edited by Switch

A game that nobody knows about that comes from the top of my head would be Ivy the Kiwi. It's a cute little platformer on the DS (there's a Wii version too but I've never played it). It has a very, very small fanbase and some of the few people that know of its existence like to pick on it being similar to some Kirby game I forgot the name of.

It's really short and is quite a good time killer. I have only met one other person online who knew about it on a site other than YT, and the only person I know in real life that also knows about Ivy is my brother - only thanks to me.

I play Cantr II, which is a free text based persistent browser RPG. There's a few hurdles that some people have trouble with as they're getting in (like the fact that project and travel progress and non-character-driven events like weather and animal behaviours occur at 'ticks' rather than continuously as they do on DC, the enormous size of the world it occurs in making travel quite slow without a good vehicle, and the fact that many characters 'sleep' hours at a time while their players are offline) so it doesn't grow fast but I think that for those who can enjoy it it becomes very special. I really like that it's not predictable or repetitive - there's no NPCs (players can have up to 15 characters each, though I personally can't ever manage more than 4 and am currently taking a break to study) and many players are very creative about shaping the world around them into something others can find interesting happy.gif The fact that unlike a forum RPG the game system preserves every detail left behind even when no player is there to share it and only shows your characters what they can actually see makes it a very immersive game.

I'd highly recommend anyone who's thinking of trying it out checks out the wiki and the forum - they're good for getting an idea of what's going on. And some brilliant person wrote an excellent interface guide which I wish I'd had access to when I first played.

(I really wish more people played this game)

too popular

"Too many people like this game so I'm not gonna play it" isn't a great mentality to have, imo. People have a lot of reasons to enjoy games, so if you won't play a game because it's too popular, it seems like you've arbitrarily barred yourself from trying games that you may actually enjoy on their own merits.

However, I will say that I won't play FNAF because I don't do well with jumpscares. I enjoy watching other people play it, but I wouldn't be able to play it because it's just not a genre in which I enjoy immersing myself. Plus I find jumpscares to be a cheap form of "horror"; at its core it's really just a mildly-creepy image paired with a sudden loud noise that startles you, and if it happens consecutively too many times you become numb to it and it loses its effect.

More on-topic: How many people remember Ephemeral Fantasia on PS2? I adored it but it did so poorly that Konami actively denies its existence now. :C

PS Vita: Mind Zero

PS3: Folklore

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

The PS3 games in particular are amazing. I can't even think of Brothers without getting all weepy.

@Switch: I watched a playthrough of Madness Returns before. The plot and visuals are very interesting~ I was pretty surprised to hear that the game studio that created it is actually based here in Shanghai 0u0

@DragonClawz: Oh hey I know Ivy the Kiwi! I've never actually gotten around to playing it properly, but I remember trying out the first level way back. Yeah, it was similar to Kirby Canvas Curse in the sense that you drew vines to help Ivy along. I might look into it again some other time.

I guess Mother 3 for the GBA might count? Honestly I'm not quite sure if the fanbase is as small as they claim to be. Same goes for games like The World Ends With You or Ib or Ghost Trick.

Some games I do know that are somewhat overloooked but are pretty fun are Monster Racers, Touch Detective, Super Princess Peach, and Picross 3D for the DS, as well as Elebits for the Wii. Save for Picross, I don't really play the others as much now, though they were cool when I was playing them.

Also, if you're into the forum game Eloquent Vocabulary, I recommend shiritorigame.com, which is basically the same thing but the added aspect of limited time to come up with a word.

Oh my god yes, Ghost Trick is my life, bury me next to the temsik meteor

For everyone else: Ghost Trick is a puzzle/adventure game/visual novel made by the same people as Ace Attorney, in which you're dead and have to figure out who you were and who killed you before you disappear at dawn, using your "ghost tricks" to manipulate objects and save other people's lives. The plot is massively complicated and really well-written, it was the second-best selling game in Japan during its release week, and it ends with an obvious sequel hook, but then they decided to make eight more Ace Attorney games instead :V

It does have a fandom, but it's smaller than it deserves - the chances of accidentally coming across another fan in a group that's not specifically for Ghost Trick are really low. (Please go play Ghost Trick, it's available for iOS for like ten bucks and you can still occasionally find secondhand cartridges for the DS version, I promise you it's worth it)

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Anyone here heard of OFF? The fandom used to be really big, I think. Naturally, I stepped in when the fanbase died down a lot. Its this French RPG where you play as an entity called "the Batter". He, along with the NPCs can interact with you. They break the fourth wall quite a bit. There's also this guy in a mask, Zacharie. He's the resident merchant and sells you everything you need/don't need. That's... the further I think I can go without giving spoilers. Watch a playthrough or download it, but beware; you WILL have your soul ripped apart. So many feels.

Anyone here heard of OFF? The fandom used to be really big, I think. Naturally, I stepped in when the fanbase died down a lot. Its this French RPG where you play as an entity called "the Batter". He, along with the NPCs can interact with you. They break the fourth wall quite a bit. There's also this guy in a mask, Zacharie. He's the resident merchant and sells you everything you need/don't need. That's... the further I think I can go without giving spoilers. Watch a playthrough or download it, but beware; you WILL have your soul ripped apart. So many feels.

Yep. I have, never played it but watched a playthrough up to parts of Zone 3. I know the plot, though.

I'm not sure if Ecco the Dolphin would be a good candidate as I've seen a couple mentions of it, but no one I've met has played or heard of it. In a summary, EtD is a game about a dolphin whose pod gets sucked up by some aliens that are trying to gather food (?) and he has to navigate through hellish mazes to get his friends back.

Edited by serce2

Warframe.

It's been out for a while, but I only heard of it a week or so ago. It's a lot of fun ^-^.

Warframe.

It's been out for a while, but I only heard of it a week or so ago. It's a lot of fun ^-^.

Warframe is actually pretty popular. A fun game nonetheless. I've been playing it for 2+ years.

I haven't heard a lot of talk about Hover : Revolt of Gamers, mainly because it's early access on Steam, but it's fantastic. It's like a cross between Mirrors Edge (AKA parkour simulator 2kwhenever) and Jet Set Radio Future (AKA spraypaint EVERYTHING) and it's got gorgeous cell shaded graphics so far, amazing everythings, and a freakin' rewind button for when you miss that jump. (it's limited in how much you can rewind, but still real cool)

Edited by EmotionalDragon

Not sure if Heretic II qualifies, but not many people play it these days; in fact, I haven't met a single other remaining player so far. It might have been popular when it was released, not sure; it came out in 1998 but I didn't find out about it until a few years into the 2000's. Also if it ever was popular, it must've been quickly overshadowed by bigger titles.

Anyway, I have to say, it's an awesome game. Not a fan of the third person view (do i really have to look at an elven butt throughout the entire game >.>), but the story is fantastic. The Ssithra are probably my most favorite fictional race of all time, frog people of the Darkmire swamps <3

Does the Mother Series count? Because I love LOVE LOVE that series with all of my heart. Especially Mother 3. A lot of people know Ness and Lucas because they were in the Smash games and stuff, but barely anyone actually researches their games, and it makes my little Mother-loving heart sad. sad.gif

Another game would be The Witches House. It was pretty popular in the past, but... *sigh* no more.

Warcraft 3........ I don't see many peeps play it.

also Realm of the Mad God anyone?

Drawn to Life and its sequel. They're DS games.

Edit: I've also played Ivy the Kiwi, I saw it mentioned earlier.

Edited by alupe99a

Drawn to Life and its sequel. They're DS games.

Edit: I've also played Ivy the Kiwi, I saw it mentioned earlier.

I love Drawn to Life <3

(That ending, though....)

Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heros for the Wii. Silliest hack-and-slash game ever but I love it.