PhantomoftheWolves

Games that not many people play/know

I actually played two games I adore and are sort of obscure. The first is Infinite Space for DS and literally no one knows it even though the story is quite good. It might have to do with the crappy play mechanics but the story makes up for it plenty enough.

The second is NieR for PS3 and a few more people know about this one but it would still deserve much more attention than it has. It's one of the most heartbreaking games I've ever played so if you want to immerse yourself in sadness and feels that's the game to go.

Oh god, how could I look at this thread and not think of my favorite game series?

Touhou Project. Bullet hell 3rd person shooter.

user posted image

image is a link to steam

About This Game

• As the lone survivor of a passenger jet crash, you find yourself in a mysterious forest battling to stay alive against a society of cannibalistic mutants.
  • Build, explore, survive in this terrifying first person survival horror simulator.
Key alpha features
  • Enter a living, breathing world, where every tree and plant can be chopped down. Below ground explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes.
  • Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving.
  • Build a small shelter or a large ocean side fortress. Lay traps and defences to keep a safe perimeter.
  • Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools. Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy.
  • Defend yourself against a clan of genetic mutant enemies that have beliefs, families, morals and that appear almost human.
  • Use stealth to evade enemies, or engage them directly with crude weapons built from sticks and stones.
What the developers have to say:
  • The Forest is an Early Access title.
  • It is currently still under heavy development with new features being added on a regular basis.
  • Currently there will be bugs, locked off content, missing features and other possibly serious game breaking issues.
THIS GAME IS AWESOME

If you want to really play as this game was intended, go in blind. Don't look at the wiki (which has incomplete information leading to a ton of terrifying discoveries on my own). Don't look at the screenshots. Don't familiarize yourself with the enemy.

My Personal Experiences (major spoilers -- highlight to better view)

You're sitting in a plane beside a sleeping boy whom is presumed to be your son. The plane crashes, and upon gaining a few seconds of consciousness, you see a big tribal-looking man pick up your injured/dead/unknown son and take him who-knows-where. When you wake up again, you're covered in blood and starving. You scavenge the plane itself for supplies, the most important of which is an axe. You leave the plane and begin using the axe to open luggage scattered near the wreckage. You don't have long before figures move in the edges of your vision... Enemies, to me, are the best part of this game, and almost completely undiscussed on the official and unofficial wikis. They're smart. And they're abundant. Different tribes of cannibals inhabit the island, each with their own subtle differences. Some will completely ignore you so long as you maintain your distance. Others will hunt you down at the smallest sign of your presence. Within each tribe are cannibals with different roles: scavengers (starving cannibals who attack you on site), scouts (normal cannibals who alert others to your presence), chiefs (who lead search parties to find you), muscle men (large cannibals who patrol the lands in pairs and kill you in few hits), mutants (mutilated cannibals who destroy everything you build, make you censorkip.gif yourself upon seeing them, appear in caves initially and on the surface once other cannibals are unable to defeat you). You think you can adapt? So can they. At first, they peer at you from behind trees, watch to see what you're doing, if you're a threat. Then, they get braver: they'll charge at you to see how you react, and act accordingly. Did you run? They know you're weak, and they'll attack. Did you attack? They know you'll fight, and they'll come back in numbers. If they don't see you at all, it's possible to lay low for a day or two. But when they realize there are survivors, they seek you out. They build effigies in your area to alert others of your presence. They want to do to you what they did to the other plane survivors, which you realize upon finding a survivor camp, or being attacked and thrown into a deep cave...

If you survive long enough, you can use your axe to cut trees and build shelter. Find animals and kill them for their skin and meat. Trap animals and store them in makeshift cages. Boil water so it's safe to drink.

There's just too much to write...

Edited by Labyrinthian

Ni no Kuni, Wrath of the White Witch. Love the game to death, almost never hear of it being talked about, but it is an awesome game that deserves more attention.

Oh gosh The Hobbit for the game cube and pc, I love the features used in the puzzles and platformers... Also some of my best memories were watching my sister play it when I was little so I'm nostalgia tinted

I love crystal chronicles to, that game is fabulousness incarnated and the whole concept of the game is that you fight against monsters to collect mer, and its impossible to get over levelled because every time you go through a year the places you last fought in get tougher.

Gex Enter the Gecko for N64/PS2, one of my favorite games that I played as a kid. It's actually a trilogy. The one I'm speaking about here is the 2nd one. The first was on the Gameboy, and the 3rd was on the N64. (third one was fun in the respect to the level where you got to play in a fairytale level. Dressed as red riding hood and could fly, got to attack the 3 pigs and the wolf, climb the bean stalk, and a bunch of other nonsense)

Play as a lounge lizard that got sucked into the Media Dimension. Has various play on words/parodies of shows. (example; "Texas chainsaw manicure, Poltergex, Gexzilla, 2 Funerals and a Wedding)

Each level you are dressed comically as something to suit the level. On ToonTV you're dressed as a rabbit (Bugs Bunny) and Elmer Fudd mock ups try to shoot at you.

Gex: Boys! Tron didn't work once... it's not gonna work twice!

Gex: So... this is where they decided to change Coke! (area near a bunch of acid pools towards the end of the game. If you remember how awful the "improvement" to the soda was, you'll understand)

Gex: Welcome to the only thing more evil than IRS headquarters. (Last level before final boss)

Gex: [as in a movie trailer] In a land before time... before Saturday Night Live was funny...

Gex: [From a Monty Python movie] Bring out yer dead!

user posted image

I like the game Dust: an elysian tail but no one seems to know about it. Its a 2D side-scrolling game but has a really interesting story and the combat doesn't suck either smile.gif

I found myself enjoying Enclave when I first picked it up. What can I say, I have a soft spot for cheesy 90's or early 2000's RPGs, even IF Enclave is basically just a hack n slash with some high fantasy elements. All of the characters were as hateable as can be though (Especially Markus and the one queen's daughter), and I found myself quite satisfied beating the game's "dark path".

Style Savvy was also a favorite of mine as a kid, as I'd play it constantly wherever I'd go, although I think with the 3DS release of Trendsetters, it was known a bit better. Either way, I found it quite fun and extremely satisfying beating that rival boutique in the highest ranked fashion show. Also, it made me feel better as a little kid knowing there was a decent "fashion game" out there with a very, VERY huge variety of clothing.

I've also got Disciples II: Gallean's Return on my Steam library, though as I can't get it to run I've never played it (I'll attempt again to get it to run later today, as I just got a fresh install). I've heard generally good things from my friends about it, though.

I like the game Dust: an elysian tail

FELLOW DUST LOVERS, YASSSS laugh.gif

How ironic I'd find this the second I'd sat down for my second playthrough.

----

As for what I'm playing right now, it's a little game called Auralux. It's a super basic RTS game where you attack each other's planets with sparkles and take over the universe. It's very soothing when you're bored on the train, or you can pump up the speed to Hyper Mode and have the best 3-minute panic attack of your life.

I love crystal chronicles to, that game is fabulousness incarnated and the whole concept of the game is that you fight against monsters to collect mer, and its impossible to get over levelled because every time you go through a year the places you last fought in get tougher.

i LOVE crystal chronicles! My brother and I played it once when we were little. We never got past the first year.... >_<

"Too many people like this game so I'm not gonna play it" isn't a great mentality to have, imo. People have a lot of reasons to enjoy games, so if you won't play a game because it's too popular, it seems like you've arbitrarily barred yourself from trying games that you may actually enjoy on their own merits.

i didn't mean to say that i wont play FNaF because its "too popular". I meant to say that I wont play it because it doesnt scare me. Whenever I watch someone play it, i dont even flinch. The reason why is that I didnt have a terrible fear of those things as a child. When GajinGoomba did a video about making a horror game great, he mentioned that he had a fear of early Sesame Street and animatronics. He said that he would never play FNaF because it takes the things he was afraid of and throws it at his face. As for me, I wasnt scared of those things; whenever i went to Chuck E Cheese, I loved it! The animatronics didnt bug me at all!

i remember playing this game where you had to rope animals in a jeep; I played the heck out of it! As i played it, the animatronics never entered my thoughts the way the animatronics do in FNaF. As GajinGoomba said "To not only scare, but to create that nagging fear, you have to attack the brain of the child." Horro game developers have to focus on the things that made kids really scared.

"Nobody is afraid of everything, but everyone is afraid of something."