Angelina Gienah

Update for Nocturnal/Diurnal Eggs Dropping

It's always been really weird to me that I can have an egg "shining in the sunlight" right next to an egg "shining in the moonlight"

Some breeds are already affected by whether it is day or night:

Sunrise/Sunset dragons--hatches as a sunrise if caught in DC morning, hatches as sunset if caught in DC evening

Glory Drakes--is a Day Glory Drake if caught during the day, is a Night Glory Drake if caught in the night

Solstice Dragons--you get an alt if it was bred/caught during the day as opposed to night

It would also affect

Royal Blue--available only at night--description reads "This egg shines in the moonlight."

Anagallis--available only at day--description reads "This delicately patterned egg is sitting in the sunshine."

Bleeding Moon--available only at night--description reads "This egg shines brilliantly in moonlight, and is covered in red spots."

Lumina--available only at day--description reads "This egg shines brightly in the sunlight."

Sunsong--available only at day--description reads "This egg changes colors in the sunlight."

Two-headed Lindwurm--available only at night--description reads "This opalescent egg shimmers in the moonlight."

I don't remember if Moonstone/Sunstone dragons are subject to day/night, but if they aren't they should be.

This would make the game a little more realistic in this particular regard, and I don't see how it would hurt hunting for those eggs as we already have breeds that are subject to day/night. The window is wide enough that people should still be able to get those eggs regardless of what timezone they are in.

Thoughts?

Oh and sorry if this idea has been posted already. I looked through and didn't see another thread for it.

Edited by Angelina Gienah

An idea like this what brought up and shot down since dc time is not equal to most times in the world. DC time is Eastern Time in the US (GMT -11 I believe) So should eggs actually follow a day and night pattern based on DC's time location, many users would miss ut on catching certain breeds. Trading is fun and all but some users have no access to the forums so if they can only catch a certain type of breed within a certain time period they would miss out on the other breeds.

So I would have to say no. Not only would this cause problems due to the many different time zones, it would cause problems for those unable to trade in the forums.

Also realism is overrated in a fantasy medieval world of dragons and magic ;3

Edited by AnanoKimi

Common misconception but it's the hatching not catching time for Sunrises/Sunsets that matters.

I feel like DC is trying, quite rightly, to be a game that can be played with one visit at the same time every day. That wouldn't really work with this.

I'm already not able to obtain Sunset and Night Glory Drakes because of my timezone and now there should even more dragons be added on my "not going to collect - won't bother to trade" list ? sleep.gif

I don't really support this.

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I'm already not able to obtain Sunset and Night Glory Drakes because of my timezone and now there should even more dragons be added on my "not going to collect - won't bother to trade" list ? sleep.gif

I don't really support this.

I feel like we should have a dedicated support thread for people in different time zones to help each other out with these dragons :3

Sunrise/sets should be achievable (if trickier) in any time zone with care though, since it's not the catching that matters.

I feel like we should have a dedicated support thread for people in different time zones to help each other out with these dragons :3

Sunrise/sets should be achievable (if trickier) in any time zone with care though, since it's not the catching that matters.

That would be really nice, it's always in the middle of night for me when it's time to get the Sunset/Night Glories, all of these dragons I have on my scroll were gifted to me by my friends smile.gif

Maybe if someone made a forum so people would gift sunrise/sunsets/day glory/night glory drakes to each other according to the time zones and the dragons needed, then I would be fine with this suggestion biggrin.gif

That would be really nice, it's always in the middle of night for me when it's time to get the Sunset/Night Glories, all of these dragons I have on my scroll were gifted to me by my friends smile.gif

Maybe if someone made a forum so people would gift sunrise/sunsets/day glory/night glory drakes to each other according to the time zones and the dragons needed, then I would be fine with this suggestion biggrin.gif

I might have a go at thinking that through when I'm not supposed to be revising :3 There's already the potential for it in existing threads but clearly something is missing.

Even if something like that works out though implementing time zone limitations for new species would be a huge pain for people who aren't on the forum.

You can actually request those at the Giving Tree:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=23254

(I don't think you can request CBs there though.)

Anyway, there are days when the moon is visible, although there isn't much shine, obviously.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

You could also think of these egg descriptions as documentations of their most prominent features, not necessarily descriptions of what they look like AT THAT MOMENT. An egg's surface would still shine in the moonlight even if you saw it during the day and it wasn't quite so shiny.

That would be nice, but not everyone visits the forum and not everyone likes to rely on the kindness of others to get eggs for them.

Besides, DC world =/= earth. One of the two-head descriptions refers to two moons, so what's to say one of those doesn't come out during the day? And even if not, fun and playability trump realism in my book.

No support from me.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

You could also think of these egg descriptions as documentations of their most prominent features, not necessarily descriptions of what they look like AT THAT MOMENT. An egg's surface would still shine in the moonlight even if you saw it during the day and it wasn't quite so shiny.

This is exactly what I was thinking and have always thought in regards to these egg descriptions. Notice how none of the eggs say "This egg is shining in the moon/sunlight." Except for the Anagallis XD

Edited by ParticleSoup

Another ditto on this.

Dust motes can glitter in the sunlight but be invisible at night, fog can glow eerily in the moonlight but not have any glow once the sun comes up.

This might not be a bad idea if not for time zones. But it would make getting certain dragons unnecessarily hard for people in some parts of the world. A trading/gifting thread might be nice, but would not help those who are not forum members/users. So I'm afraid I can't support this idea.

That would be nice, but not everyone visits the forum and not everyone likes to rely on the kindness of others to get eggs for them.

Besides, DC world =/= earth. One of the two-head descriptions refers to two moons, so what's to say one of those doesn't come out during the day? And even if not, fun and playability trump realism in my book.

No support from me.

This is pretty much my sentiment. We do have eggs that are dependent upon drop/hatching times that cause enough trouble for people in various time zones, especially new players who haven't been around long enough to figure out what is going on (including the newly added Solstice). We don't need to add more "for realism's sake."

Maybe the descriptions are meant to mean 'this egg shines brightly in the sunlight' and even though it's not sunny right now, when the sun comes out we'll be able to see the shine

I'll have to agree on the whole its more of a statement recorded to describe the egg in general not in an as is at this very moment format~

Also we need to start a time dependent help group where users help each other out by hatching and gifting certain time dependent hatchies like glory drakes and the sunset/sunrise babies to users :3

I hadn't realized that so many users were restricted to getting on only at a certain time of day.

I would disagree with the statement that DC is trying to be a one stop game, otherwise we'd have a lot more rotation within the caves (and rares wouldn't be rare and I'd have my last male spessartine), but that's a moot point.

I'll just let my eye twitch whenever sunlight and moonlight are next to each other tongue.gif

I hadn't realized that so many users were restricted to getting on only at a certain time of day.

I would disagree with the statement that DC is trying to be a one stop game, otherwise we'd have a lot more rotation within the caves (and rares wouldn't be rare and I'd have my last male spessartine), but that's a moot point.

I'll just let my eye twitch whenever sunlight and moonlight are next to each other tongue.gif

Not so much that - but my day may be your night biggrin.gif I have a mate in Australia I can NEVER chat with in real time as she is always asleep xd.png

I would have to say no to this due to the global nature of DC and for making it fair and easier.

For the reasons already stated, I'm also opposed to this suggestion. If anything has to change, I'd rather it be the descriptions themselves, but even then, I don't really see any need to change them for the reasons Odie mentioned.

Maybe the descriptions are meant to mean 'this egg shines brightly in the sunlight' and even though it's not sunny right now, when the sun comes out we'll be able to see the shine

That's how I always thought it is. Therefore the change is unnecessary d:

This was my exact thought.

For the ease of users and because I think time quirks should be left as a pretty unique thing, I don't support this. If users want to suggest more dragons that have some sort of time dependence on appearance, that would be fine, though. I just don't really see a need to retro-add these things. o3o