KingSpinosaurus

Wouldn't it be logical for Albino Dragons to be ra

Wouldn't it be logical for Albino Dragons to be rare?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I was just thinking... Albinous animals are rare, but Albino dragons are commons here. I also thought that albinous animals don't always make it to adulthood, which also made me think.

So just tell me your opinion.

Also,I'm not sugesting making them rare,I'm just asking to see the public opinion smile.gif

Mmm, but I'm pretty sure Albino in this case is just a name for the breed of dragon, not a dragon of any random breed with a mutation preventing pigment production/location. The selection rules against albino individuals of pigmented species wont apply here because evidently they've evolved in a niche where their paleness works for them.

The frequency of albinism in a population depends on the selective pressures present. If albinism renders no negative effects, or indeed renders positive effects, within a closed breeding pool then the instances of albinism will increase over time.

Look at the chestnut color in horses. Chestnut occurs due to a double recessive expression of the extension gene - if the horse has even one dominant extension allele, their base coat color (given no dilution genes) will be black. In some breeds like the friesian, seeing anything but a black horse is exceedingly rare due to the systematic erasure of the recessive allele from the gene pool by preventing chestnut friesians from breeding. Conversely, thoroughbred horses are REGULARLY born chestnut, meaning the recessive allele is far more common in the gene pool.

I see albino dragons as a case in which either the dragon is not a true albino, and is just expressing similar coloration, or albinism afforded the dragons enough of a benefit to their personal survival that albino became the rule and not the exception.

Had to check the (DC's) Albino description to answer this. And the Wiki about Albinism. ^^

Albinism is a condition that affects one individual (or some of them) amongst their species. But in our Albinos' case, all dragons of that kind are translucent. The name came after that feature. Considering it affects all the dragons of that breed, I don't think it would make them "rare" in nature. It's just the way they are. wink.gif

It's different from an "Alt" which is DC's concept of a genetic alteration of one dragon from their original species: for "us (DC)" it's when only the color is altered. Like Penk, for example.

Edited by Yliah

The Albino dragon is a breed. Every dragon of that particular breed is "Albino." Their Albinism should not effect their rarity since they're ALL Albino.

Honestly, that species has always bugged me a little. Albino is not a species trait. I can accept it as a naming of similarity though.

Honestly, that species has always bugged me a little. Albino is not a species trait. I can accept it as a naming of similarity though.

For a while there was a breed of horse called the American Albino - doubly amusing since albinism has not been found in horses -any horses - to date. They were actually cremello and eventually renamed American Creme. There actually are albino dogs such as albino doberman (very unhealthy, do not support breeders who produce these poor animals), and some people DON'T refer to them as albinos despite that being exactly what they are.

It's one of those semantic things.