TJ09

2015-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 9th Birthday

I was wondering, how small is a Pygmy Dragon? =P

I'm particularly curious about my two favorites, Dark Mysts and (now) Magelights. but also just in general, I'm wondering what the size difference is. smile.gif

I'm particularly curious about my two favorites, Dark Mysts and (now) Magelights. but also just in general, I'm wondering what the size difference is. smile.gif

I've been told Pygmy Dragons sizes are from cat to small/medium dog, but I don't know if this is true

I've been told Pygmy Dragons sizes are from cat to small/medium dog, but I don't know if this is true

That's what I recall as well...not sure though.

The new sprites are great, especially the Hooktalons ^^

I really like the Magelights as well, but their sprite is way bigger than those of the other Pygmies unsure.gif So I'm not sure if I'll do anything with them. Maybe try with Nilia...?

One more day until I can start breeding, I'm so excited. xd.png

Thank you TJ, JOTB, Odeen and Marrionetta!

In my best understanding, Pygmies are cat/dog sized, yes. Pumpkins are on the larger end of the range, whatever that happens to be, and Magelights are comparably sized. I know Vicats was pushing for a 4-10lb range for the original Pygmies, so I assume Pumpkins and Magelights are probably up to 30 or 40lbs - of course this is all dependent on a future standardized sizing scale, and my thoughts on their sizes are going to be flexible. n_n

Good question.

If anyone has come across the dead egg sprites for any of these new dragons, the Wiki needs some help collecting these for the release news page smile.gif

A big thank you to the spriters involved in the release of these new dragons! My special thanks to Marri for the new Pygmy, my personal favourite type of dragon biggrin.gif

You're welcome, Blue. Thanks for being so up on top of the Wiki. We all appreciate it.

EDIT - a little extra breed info because someone was asking:

Magelights detect methane and other flammable gases in the air in the low parts per million, and extinguish their tails quickly to prevent catastrophic fire by comically shoving the ends in their mouths to smother the flame.

Magelights honk a bit like peafowl, and while capable of telepathic communication like other dragons, don't usually have a lot to say.

Their pointed beaks are used as a dexterous appendage, due to their lack of hands or wing thumbs. This specialized tool doesn't develop until near adulthood, and Magelights are particularly awkward and vulnerable in adolescence due to the lengthening of their phalanges and the sudden absence of manipulatable hands. Puberty sucks.

The oily, resinous secretion they produce as a firestarter can be harvested and used by humans, but its smell when inert and unburnt is particularly foul. Its odor is remnicient of a mixture of rotting oysters and low quality grain liquor. It can be condensed into an oleoresin block, which can be stored for a time and kept in emergency kits, but only in a metal cannister sealed with wax, as it tends to oxidize quickly and smell all the worse. It should be noted that pursuading a Magelight pygmy to produce extra oil for collection usually involves extensive bribery and begging on the part of the poor fool who assumed it'd be a good idea.

Magelight pygmies are opportunistic feeders and will eat just about anything.

They are social by nature, and seek out the company of other individuals of their species, other dragons, and humans.

Edited by Marrionetta

So I don't want to be that guy, going slightly off topic.

But when are the dragons that were released the past couple of months going to be added to the Encyclopedia? And I don't mean with full detailed descriptions (tho that would be awesome), but just the sprites. My completionism is really bugging me, them not being listed and all.

Again not to rush anyone and I do prefer the new releases over Encyclopedia entries, but I was just wondering.

Edited by Lexadin

I think i will start breeding in June.

The Magelights are very big Canaries. blink.gif The faces of the new Pygmies are not so cute like the hatchlings have promised. sad.gif Is it just the pose or is the neck of the female really soooooo loooooooooooong?

I am so glad that the adult Drakes are relly green and not so brown like the hatchlings. I like them. I will take a look at the poses of the adult again if my own Drakes have grown up.

The new Two-Headeds are awesome.

Just a suggestion:

Dear Spriter, can you please create a new commons for the older more 'simple' looking breeds?

It's a bit odd to breed a very detailed sprite to an old breed with a very different degree of details.

ETA: Can all the new breeds please included in the Encyclopedia so we can unlock the images? It's about time. *try to make eyes like the Puss in Boots in the Shrek films*

Edited by Tigerkralle

Happy 9th Birthday Dragcave!

Only just managed to get online as I've been busy in work and my phone has been playing up D:

Mine are nearly grown, thank you to the sprite artist for making these and thanks TJ for releasing them.

I woke up to find my new babies had gendered <3 so adorable.

I wish I could snuggle the Pygmy biggrin.gif

Thanks Marri for the additional information on the Magelights. Verrrry interesting! smile.gif

Their pointed beaks are used as a dexterous appendage, due to their lack of hands or wing thumbs. This specialized tool doesn't develop until near adulthood, and Magelights are particularly awkward and vulnerable in adolescence due to the lengthening of their phalanges and the sudden absence of manipulatable hands. Puberty sucks.

Sure as hell it does xd.png

Are the pygmies huggable

Huh, those are the first two-headed dragons I really like. Nice ones~!

More than ever this release is supporting my theory that the cave generates eggs and then decides how to distribute the eggs between biomes - suddenly the jungle has loads of Anagallises smile.gif

Just need a nice big volcano-only common release to push some Pyralspites into the coast and alpine.

Marri, I have a question about the Magelights. Do their tails come alight from their fire breath, or does the tail itself somehow produce flames? Is it the oils on their tails that makes the fire purple, or their own magic or breath powers? .0.

Marri, I have a question about the Magelights. Do their tails come alight from their fire breath, or does the tail itself somehow produce flames? Is it the oils on their tails that makes the fire purple, or their own magic or breath powers? .0.

The first part is already answered in the description: "brooding mothers douse their eggs in the oil while they incubate. Hatchlings’ tails subsequently catch fire at birth after coming into contact with their burning shells."

by comically shoving the ends in their mouths to smother the flame.

I visualized that and, dang, is the adorable strong with these! That description was all kinds of fantastic. Thanks for fleshing them out even more. smile.gif

I originally grabbed more of the GSDs at the first drop of them, due to them having rosettes. They are the same markings my Bengal, Taz, has and so of course I HAD to have those. laugh.gif I was not sure how I felt about them as they grew, but the more I look at them, the more they grow on me. I'll definitely be getting more of them in the near future.

I visualized that and, dang, is the adorable strong with these! That description was all kinds of fantastic. Thanks for fleshing them out even more. smile.gif

-snip-

Tell me about it! These guys are quickly becoming one of my favorite breeds! :3

Better late than never.

Happy birthday Dragon Cave! Time fly away so fast.

Thank you spriters and TJ for the new release.

That's what I recall as well...not sure though.

The new sprites are great, especially the Hooktalons ^^

I really like the Magelights as well, but their sprite is way bigger than those of the other Pygmies  unsure.gif So I'm not sure if I'll do anything with them. Maybe try with Nilia...?

Maybe if we're really, really lucky, Marri will make a similar-sized Pygmy of equally cool and complementary/nicely-contrasting colours and TJ will Release it and CHECKERS! poptartFINALTINY.gif

In the meantime: PBs? smile.gif