TJ09

2015-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 9th Birthday

@BlindWolf,

I have nothing against critiques, and I'm not asking anyone to sugar coat anything. I simply felt the wording of your message was aggressive. Words and phrases like "hate", "severely disappointed", "annoyed", "ruined" are all extremely hurtful when aimed directly, if not attacking. Critique as you want, I was fine with everything else in your message.

Edited by suskekun222

Thank you spriters!

I'm glad we finally have more 'non-regular' dragons. And I really love the Magelight! I'll probably be hoarding them. smile.gif

Odeen did you design them to go nicely with the Bloodscales deliberately or is it just a beautiful coincidence? (Another one? xd.png)

*innocent whistle*

No one's verbally slaying the sprite though, or referring to them as "ghastly creatures".

Pointing out why you don't like something is not the same thing as bashing it.

Just to point out that the "ghastly creatures" comment had a hint of sarcasm to it. I did not quote anyone specifically wink.gif

Fair enough if you're not collecting the dragons if you personally don't like the sprites. That seems less hypocritical. And I also I appreciate that critique is somewhat important but I see it as disrespectful in this specific setting. It's not as if we have to pay a monthly subscription to enjoy DragonCave. I say, if you don't like a sprite, be nice enough to keep your negativity to yourself and if you hate them so much don't collect them.

Edited by Sinion Kabe

I have nothing against critiques, and I'm not asking anyone to sugar coat anything.

Sure you are.

I say, if you don't like a sprite, be nice enough to keep your negativity to yourself

I say if I don't like a dragon, I'm going to say so flat out. If you, and that's in general, don't like that, keep your bunched up panties in your own pants. Nobody on God's green earth is going to tell me I can't have an opinion simply because it doesn't satisfy someone else's personal quota of sugar.

Frankly, and this is in general, I get sick of this overly sensitive, PC world telling me that I can't say this, can't say that, this word is 'rude', that word is 'mean', you 'should' say things THIS way, you 'shouldn't' say things THAT way....THIS phrase is fine, THAT phrase is not... Jeeeeezus!! ENOUGH already.

People have opinions, all kinds of opinions. I don't like the colors and the half dead look of the Hooktalon. So?

Edited by MedievalMystic

@BlindWolf,

I have nothing against critiques, and I'm not asking anyone to sugar coat anything. I simply felt the wording of your message was aggressive. Words and phrases like "hate", "severely disappointed", "annoyed", "ruined" are all extremely hurtful when aimed directly, if not attacking. Critique as you want, I was fine with everything else in your message.

I understand the reaction to the word 'ruined' and said clarified that it's in my opinion later. Disappointment, hate, and annoyance and such on the other hand are personal feelings, and aren't direct attacks unless pointed at a person, but in this case were voicing my opinions on the dragon designs. Like I said though, I'm sorry if you read my tone in an unintended way.

Frankly, and this is in general, I get sick of this overly sensitive, PC world telling me that I can't say this, can't say that, this word is 'rude', that word is 'mean', you 'should' say things THIS way, you 'shouldn't' say things THAT way....THIS phrase is fine, THAT phrase is not...  Jeeeeezus!!  ENOUGH already.     

People have opinions, all kinds of opinions.  I don't like the colors and the half dead look of the Hooktalon.  So?

I very much agree with this. I'm getting tired of the spreading viewpoint, not really here but in the world in general, that all opinions but solely positive praise should be censored and forbidden.

Edited by BlindWolf

Sure you are.

I say if I don't like a dragon, I'm going to say so flat out. If you, and that's in general, don't like that, keep your bunched up panties in your own pants. smile.gif

Frankly, and this is in general, I get sick of this overly sensitive, PC world telling me that I can't say this, can't say that, this word is 'rude', that word is 'mean', you 'should' say things THIS way, you 'shouldn't' say things THAT way....THIS phrase is fine, THAT phrase is not... Jeeeeezus!! ENOUGH already.

People have opinions, all kinds of opinions. I don't like the colors and the half dead look of the Hooktalon. So?

I think people should be able to express their opinions freely. If a person is an artist, they must be ready to not get only kudos.

I don't like these dragons, I'm very disappointed because I put effort in hunting and raising and I will not keep them. I expected more, considering that these dragons come from experienced spriters. These dragons look rushed out and unfinished and I'm astounded because I know these artists can do better than this.

I say if I don't like a dragon, I'm going to say so flat out. If you, and that's in general, don't like that, keep your bunched up panties in your own pants smile.gif

I would really like to see some of your sprite work smile.gif

Sure you are.

I say if I don't like a dragon, I'm going to say so flat out. If you, and that's in general, don't like that, keep your bunched up panties in your own pants. smile.gif

/: I never said you can't say your opinion, nor have I said anything in general to you so far. I haven't seen anyone say anything against you in this thread either. No one is telling you not to say this or that.

I don't want to start anything with you, in fact I don't want to start anything at all. All I wanted to do was try to voice my own opinion on how I didn't particularly like the way Blindwolf worded hers. Otherwise, I'm fine with everything so far. If the only good I'm doing right now is adding to your fuel, then I apologise and I'll leave.

A person doesn't need to be an artist to criticize an artist work. Even if a person don't draw a single line, they are still entitled to have their own opinion.

user posted image

Also, with regard to people who seem to think there's some weird bra-burning bent to the hooktalon's behavior, and yadda yadda would it be kosher if the genders were swapped, I'm surprised only one person picked up on this.

They are spotted hyenas. They are spotted hyenas with wings and two heads. They're also dragons, not social justice warriors. Please calm down.

Did I claim to be an artist?

What are you implying? That unless someone is an artist they shouldn't have opinions on art? Better start calling all the museums...and art critics... around the world and let them know that, too, then. I'm sure you can google the numbers.

blink.gifohmy.gif so much clearly negative and unconstructive criticism in this thread, it's really sad. I was raised on the principle, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Or at least be constructive about it, and lay off the negative adjectives.

The sprites are great in their own right, and it's obvious there's a lot of work put into them.

The Hooktalon dragons are really good, especially the colouring. There are a few details on the heads of the male that confuse my eyes in original size, but enlarged I can see the great details.

Pygmies in general aren't my thing, but these are adorable. Even if pastels aren't truly my favourite colour tones, I do like the combo of bright green and bright purple. Their anatomy reminds me a lot of the Misfit pygmies and I can see very nice lineages with those two.

The Greater Spotted Drakes have a slightly skewed anatomy in my opinion. I have difficulty matching the for- and hindlegs, without twisting the body too much. It could be it's just their way of standing smile.gif as if staring at one foot *g* but they're cute in a way. I like the head and wings enormously. The colour is slightly too dull for my taste, but it fits with where the dragon lives and the fact that they need to hide to be able to ambush. I'm slightly confused about 'feed mostly on plant material' and 'ambush predators'. But I guess when they finally do want a slight taste of meat, they use ambush to get it smile.gif

All in all, I'm happy with them all in different ways, and I'll definitely get several pairs of each. A good way to celebrate the birthday, and congrats to TJ and the Cave!!! And yes, I'm very thankful it was only three dragons *g* Nine would have killed me completely xd.png

A person doesn't need to be an artist to criticize an artist work. Even if a person don't draw a single line, they are still entitled to have their own opinion.

Yes, because it is very easy to just cast an opinion when you can't even comprehend the work that goes into creating a sprite. No appreciation or respect....I rest my case.

so much clearly negative and unconstructive criticism in this thread, it's really sad. I was raised on the principle, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Or at least be constructive about it, and lay off the negative adjectives.

The sprites are great in their own right, and it's obvious there's a lot of work put into them.

Totally agree. -comment removed- sad.gif

Edited by rubyshoes

Yes, because it is very easy to just cast an opinion when you can't even comprehend the work that goes into creating a sprite. No appreciation or respect....I rest my case.

Yes, that's how the world works, a person doesn't need to be an expert to have an opinion. The technical name of that is "fruition" in art. Any person, no matter the educational level or background is capable of fruition and is capable of like or dislike something. And they can express their view, too. It's called free speech.

I'm not giving an opinion on the work that goes into the sprite, I'm giving an opinion on the end result, which, imo, is all that matters, isn't it?

I rest my case.

Holy moly, I have new favorite dragon breeds this morning! OuO

All of them are gorgeous, but I'm partial to the Hooktalons' wings (so purty owo)

what is up with all the bellyaching tho *ducks out*

An opinion on the quality or design isn't a judgement of the amount of work that went into it. These are separate factors. What's more, you're running into the 'only chefs can dislike food' argument, where you take subjective opinions that don't require expertise to hold (I don't like ___) and claim that a lay person can't hold them, so you're telling them that they can't dislike food if they aren't chefs, or that they can't dislike a piece of art without being an artist.

-comment removed- Edited by rubyshoes

MedievalMystic and danicast, if you have no talent in regards to creating a sprite this severely lowers your opinion as you cannot understand the hard work that goes into it. I appreciate that you may not like the look of these dragons but, as mentioned, in this environment you should keep your negative opinions to yourself.

I say, if you don't like a sprite, be nice enough to keep your negativity to yourself and if you hate them so much don't collect them.

Why are people only supposed to keep their "negativity" to themselves? Why is there this tendency of only allowing positive comments on artistic creations? I see this not only on Dragon Cave. Why are dozens of not very constructive comments in the style of "OMG I love it!!!111" legitimate and someone stating "I hate them, their head is weird, the horns ..." is told to keep their opinion to themselves? Apart from the fact that I find this much more constructive than the generic "yay you're awesome", why are we only allowed to give the artists positive feedback? How can someone improve their work when they are always only told that it is "awesome"?

I'm not defending true haters here, but there is a difference between unfair bashing and an honest, blunt negative opinion.

Besides that, for me the dragons are not "OMG awesome" for me, but I like the Pygmies, I think they'll fit well to Pumpkins on Halloween. The Two-Headeds also look fine, just the Drakes are a bit boring to me. But I'll collect them anyways (because this is a collection game and I'll always collect all dragons, even if I don't like them. So much about that).

MedievalMystic and danicast, if you have no talent in regards to creating a sprite this severely lowers your opinion as you cannot understand the hard work that goes into it. I appreciate that you may not like the look of these dragons but, as mentioned, in this environment you should keep your negative opinions to yourself.

I'M NOT JUDGING THE AMOUNT OF WORK.

-comment removed- .

Edited by rubyshoes

I can understand the hard work, I'm an artist myself. That's why I'm so disappointed. I know it takes a long time to make a work and I'm sad that these dragons don't look good.

And no, you can not make people shuddup, people are entitled to express their views. Everybody is being polite and just sharing that they don't like these dragons, that's not a crime, its perfecly acceptable.

I was pleasantly surprised by how pretty the adult drakes are (such a nice green :3), I love the female pygmy pose and I love how vibrant the red of the 2-headeds are smile.gif

procedure for observing opinion you consider rude:

think 'wow that's mean'

post your own positive feedback

report it if you think it goes that far

move on

No one's going to change anyone's mind here, there's no sense arguing.

They are spotted hyenas. They are spotted hyenas with wings and two heads. They're also dragons, not social justice warriors. Please calm down.

Huzzah, called it! I love spotted hyenas, so... hoarding tiem! cool.gif

And really, everyone needs to calm down. So some players don't like some of the sprites, that's perfectly fine and normal - there's always the next release. There's no need for this drama, let's all be polite and get along. When giving criticism, I think the key is trying to be constructive, specific, objective and positively intended, I doubt anyone would have a problem with such a post.

Lets get back to the fun, the release lasted for over 24 hrs and the dragons are still to be found in the Cave - pretty much everyone managed to catch them... and they're all rarely released breeds, just how awesome is that? <3