KuroYukia

Changing egg coloring/design aka White/Silver

The start of this post was originally only between White/Silver, but people have pointed out and I agree with them. Changing the coloring/design on a few eggs would be a huge idea.

Eggs and colorings in question have so far been

Canopy, Green, Vine

White/Silver/Storm/Nocturnes

Gilded Bloodscale/Cassare

sunstones/shallows/magis

Now the topics have been listed on both good and bad reasons. ( if I missed one PM me and I'll add it) This will keep being edited as time passes ( or until I'm asked to stop)

The problem isn't just in the AP which would be fine since the silvers are rare enough no one really notices/not fast enough to snag. it would also help on custom sorting on scrolls and when trading.

WHAT COULD WE CHANGE

1. Adding designs around eggs, a "Glow" around silver, foggy up the Storm/fog cloud a little and maybe add pebbles around the green.

REASONS AS TO KEEP THEM AS IS

1. People would think there's a new egg out

Not if the eggs on scrolls are changed and a message on both caves and forums is release. Or even a message on the top of scrolls like with holiday events for a few days. If people are returning from a hiatus they will most likely check the wiki/forums or other thing to see what they missed

2. If we change the coloring someone else would have the issue.

That's a good one actually, but which is why the lobbying for a new design would be good as well. That way not only can people see the coloring but a little something added would be used also.

3. It will be harder to click since the eggs stand out.

They will like said lineage or toss it back would be my guess, or trade it. IT does make it easier to see though, which is the point of my suggestion.

Edited by KuroYukia

Actually, this came up before, and colours actually were changed, if I recall correctly, but the issue seems to be with different monitors/browsers, where colours tend to appear with a fair bit of variance between each one.

On the plus side, with the Encyclopedia links, we can now look at any egg and see that link saying exactly what the dragon breed is. smile.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

This is just a comparison with whites/silvers. I added grays too because when I joined I confused every gray in the AP as silvers (never did with whites). I'm not colorblind unlike you though. Although I don't confuse grays for silvers anymore, I can see a reason for changing the colors. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, but maybe some more responses will show how much of a problem it is.

As for you trading off silvers instead of whites in trades... If I were you I'd at least double-check before I leave the trade to be accepted. Also if you incorrectly put it on someone's trade link I would PM the user to see if they'd be willing to give it back since it looked like the white egg you were going to offer up.

Actually, this came up before, and colours actually were changed, if I recall correctly, but the issue seems to be with different monitors/browsers, where colours tend to appear with a fair bit of variance between each one.

On the plus side, with the Encyclopedia links, we can now look at any egg and see that link saying exactly what the dragon breed is. smile.gif

Sadly, that doesn't help with working in the AP, I have snagged so many whites thinking they're silvers sad.gif but after I grabbed realized what I did and tossed them back.

Though do know about the difference in the monitor and browser, but I've used three different laptops, I.E, Firefox and Google chrome, the other colors I can see pretty good can even see the difference between grey and silver/white.

Just the silver/white combo I can't tell the difference and it annoys me, thankfully when I made a mistake the ones I traded with understood and traded for the correct lineage they looked for.

My response to the AP problem is, when in doubt -- click! You can always abandon if, as is usually the case, it turns out to be yet another White. You do only have a split second to decide.

My laptop shows them as very similar in color, whereas hubby's desktop monitor shows them distinctly different. So I think it is hard to come up with a recolor that suits all monitors. The eggs were tweaked at one time -- probably several years ago -- to try to improve the situation. You can't really make the Whites much lighter and making the Silvers darker makes them not look very "silver" and gets them closer to the Nocturne and Storm egg colors.

I'm agreeing to this. While I am in no way colorblind (my color vision is actually spot-on according to a lot of people), I constantly confuse whites for silvers. Essentially, if I see a white in the AP I immediately grab it because just in case it's a silver and I can't tell them apart.

Even side by side I still have a lot of issues seeing the differences.. And it isn't just my monitor. It's the same on the school monitors, my two ipods, and my tablet. They're impossible to tell apart...

My response to the AP problem is, when in doubt -- click! You can always abandon if, as is usually the case, it turns out to be yet another White. You do only have a split second to decide.

My laptop shows them as very similar in color, whereas hubby's desktop monitor shows them distinctly different. So I think it is hard to come up with a recolor that suits all monitors. The eggs were tweaked at one time -- probably several years ago -- to try to improve the situation. You can't really make the Whites much lighter and making the Silvers darker makes them not look very "silver" and gets them closer to the Nocturne and Storm egg colors.

The different monitors isn't really a huge problem they will show up differently. I get the coloring is tarnished silver and a pure white egg isn't going to work. Just really trying to find any kind of way to have them confusing people with color blindness, can't be the only one having a huge issue with them.

Maybe keeping the tarnished silver and doing something with the white egg to make it look less silvery? Maybe lightening the dark grey part of the white egg.

Though this is a request, to make things easier in the ap so I stop clicking the white eggs when silvers are next to them >.< or stick with requesting people to breed them.

Maybe keeping the tarnished silver and doing something with the white egg to make it look less silvery? Maybe lightening the dark grey part of the white egg.

Though this is a request, to make things easier in the ap so I stop clicking the white eggs when silvers are next to them >.< or stick with requesting people to breed them.

I think putting more of a shine on the white egg would do better as you'd see less shadow and more "white". Lightening it doesn't sound too bad either though; either works, imo.

A bit confused on the breeding. Are you perhaps asking for people to breed whites? >o> I could get in contact with the user that did this.

I think putting more of a shine on the white egg would do better as you'd see less shadow and more "white". Lightening it doesn't sound too bad either though; either works, imo.

A bit confused on the breeding. Are you perhaps asking for people to breed whites? >o> I could get in contact with the user that did this.

Seeing how I end up with more whites then silvers lol, more like finding people who breed silvers. Have pretty things to trade for them, just have issues with finding them >.<

Though I like the suggestion, my issue with color blindness is darker colors all look in the same color pattern make me look at them as said color scheme. The silver and white both look like the same color grey.

Seeing how I end up with more whites then silvers lol, more like finding people who breed silvers. Have pretty things to trade for them, just have issues with finding them >.<

Though I like the suggestion, my issue with color blindness is darker colors all look in the same color pattern make me look at them as said color scheme. The silver and white both look like the same color grey.

Oh that's what you meant. xd.png Nevermind then ~

Ohhh that's interesting to know. I have a colorblinded friend and they get complimentary (Red/Green, Blue/Orange, Yellow/Purple) colors switched around. ohmy.gif

Perhaps once you actually have the eggs, look at the part where it says White dragon on the White eggs and Silver on the Silver eggs?

The last time the colours were changed, I actually had trouble differentiating them when I hadn't before, and still find them harder to tell apart now now than I had, so I don't know if it's actually possible to make it so that they're easily identifiable to everyone, since we're all potentially seeing different shades/colour/emphasis making the sprites look different even on different monitors, never mind with various visual difficulties.

I seem to recall that TJ did something way back when to make the site more friendly to visually challenged people, such as those technically blind - does anyone remember anything regarding this?

Because perhaps something like that might help?

Edit: what kind of bred Silvers are you looking for?

The AP ones I (rarely) see are usually pretty messy.

Re-edit: problem is that metals breed horribly, just tried some pairings that aren't booked in case and, as usual, nada... so we don't actually see that many produced, never mind landing in the AP to begin with...

Edited by Syphoneira

Weren't Silver eggs lightened in color a few years ago so they wouldn't resemble Storm eggs so much?

Weren't Silver eggs lightened in color a few years ago so they wouldn't resemble Storm eggs so much?

I could well be mistaken, but I believe that the Silvers were initially darkened or planned to be darkened, so as not to be mistaken for Whites by some, and then perhaps lightened again because of confusion with other eggs?

I have such a rotten memory... just remember that I had a harder time differentiating them afterward.

I know there was a topic on updating eggs to match their descriptions more but my earlier search didn't work. I'll try again later. =p

Anyway, I don't think changing the colors are going to do so much, but adding a glow to the silvers (kinda like the blacks have) would be fine. o3o

I know there was a topic on updating eggs to match their descriptions more but my earlier search didn't work. I'll try again later. =p

Anyway, I don't think changing the colors are going to do so much, but adding a glow to the silvers (kinda like the blacks have) would be fine. o3o

I would LOVE THAT, I can tell the glow of the blacks which is the sole reason I don't confuse them with embers and other black colored or dark eggs.

I also have a very difficult time distinguishing Whites from Silvers. A "glow" around the Silvers would be awesome and would make it match its description-- "this egg gives off a beautiful glow".

I have issues with Fogs/Nocturnes and Earths/Canopies too, but those are another topic!

I find it pretty easy to tell the difference, but I have really good color vision.

I can usually tell them apart, but only because I *know* after several years of playing experience that silver eggs look more like light grey than anything. It is a bit of a problem, though.

However, I think there are several ways to help with distinguishing silver eggs:

1. Using a different egg template (with permission of their creators, obviously). Soulpeace, Sunsong, Gold, GW, Blacktip and Yellow-Crowned would do quite nicely if only you desaturate them. Okay, so the Blacktip also needed the contrast increased... Anyway, all of these look quite distinct as "silverized" eggs, and look also quite distinct from Nocturne eggs, although the Yellow-Crowned template might lead to confusion with silver Tinsels.
  2. Adding a bit of "glow".
  3. Increasing the contrast of the silver. After all, silver is shiny.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem differentiating them? (speaking for about four different monitors)

If you don't have a problem, then you have good color vision. I on the other along with thankfully a few posters have slight colorblindness or just bad screens, which sadly makes it hard to see what's what sometimes >.< Though it's cool you can tell them apart even with monitor differences

I have issues with Fogs/Nocturnes and Earths/Canopies too, but those are another topic!

Actually, they would fit fine into this topic, too - same issue really.

The palette of easily distinguishable-by-human-eyes colors is not very big, so there can be only so-and-so-many plainly colored eggs before it starts getting difficult for the average eye, and even fewer for the challenged eye.

Some kind of extra marking like the "beautiful glow" for a Silver egg would indeed be good, a bunch of pebbles underneath the Earth eggs and maybe some fog around Storm eggs might help. The artists might have an idea how much of that is doable though xd.png

I can usually tell them apart, but only because I *know* after several years of playing experience that silver eggs look more like light grey than anything. It is a bit of a problem, though.

However, I think there are several ways to help with distinguishing silver eggs:

1. Using a different egg template (with permission of their creators, obviously). Soulpeace, Sunsong, Gold, GW, Blacktip and Yellow-Crowned would do quite nicely if only you desaturate them. Okay, so the Blacktip also needed the contrast increased... Anyway, all of these look quite distinct as "silverized" eggs, and look also quite distinct from Nocturne eggs, although the Yellow-Crowned template might lead to confusion with silver Tinsels.
  2. Adding a bit of "glow".
  3. Increasing the contrast of the silver. After all, silver is shiny.

Well that's why I posted the suggested lol, I wanted people hopefully the spriters to help out or be ok with the idea of doing something to help the ones that need it. And give the chance for others to comment or suggest to help them out with egg color issues

I really like the ideas you suggested. The silver actually working with the silvery warm glow description would be awesome, I don't mean like silver tinsel silver though but maybe a little duller then that, would as you say have to ask the original owners of the eggs.

The thought I had after it was suggested was shinny up the silver egg a little or do the black egg thing and give it a nice ring around it making a pronounced glow

Sorry if this seemed long, but I'm actually shy about asking the original creator about changing the egg hence the suggestion and thought maybe they'd look. ( tired or I'd have looked up the creator already)

The egg copyrights rest with TJ, so it might be a little difficult anyway to find out who designed which egg.

Wiki page for the Silver dragon says, Spriter "Kitoxa (All)" but I'm not sure if "all" actually includes eggs. Either way, apparently Kitoxa last posted on the forum in 2009 - I don't think they will look.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

The egg copyrights rest with TJ, so it might be a little difficult anyway to find out who designed which egg.

Wiki page for the Silver dragon says, Spriter "Kitoxa (All)" but I'm not sure if "all" actually includes eggs. Either way, apparently Kitoxa last posted on the forum in 2009 - I don't think they will look.

Thanks Ruby,

And that sucks hmm, it's up to TJ then to decide if the eggs will be changed. Hopefully it will be done and I'm glad not to be the only one with the vision issues on the coloring that's not due to weird screens or browsers. Had a feeling I'd get nothing but bad comments, saying it wasn't worth changing.

Actually, Kitoxa has given permission for the silver sprites to be updated, but I'm not sure whether this includes the egg sprite or not. Considering the egg is one of the eggs using the regular egg template... well, I don't know what to think. xd.png Anyway, read this for reference.

And, no, you're not the only one. There was a topic a while back with the very same issue that also included making eggs resemble their respective descriptions.

(vines with flowers vetoed by Lythiaren, canopies with at least one leaf, silvers and magis with some kind of glow akin to the green glow of the black egg, pebbles for the greens and fog for greys.)

Edited by olympe