Jen-Kollic

Stitching the Solstice Dragon - COMPLETE

*fangirling*

Man if those were sold on the DC Shop imagine how fast they'd sell out!

It's absolutely gorgeous right now, keep it up!

If that ever happened, it'd be pretty bad for her, because EVERYONE WOULD WANT ONE NAO and judging by the sheer amount of work and the time and care it takes to make even just this one, she'd probably spend the rest of her life making these ahaha.

Chained to a giant canvas with thread cross-stitching pfft.

*goes back to stalking in the shadows*

Oh, wow. This is gorgeous. I used to be into cross-stitching a lot years ago, and I'm so in love with this. You're doing an amazing job, great work! wub.gif

Slooooooowly getting there, more blank parts filled and the tail started:

user posted image

Also you can totally see the coffee splash now. The whole thing'll be washed when it's done though, so any marks should come out. I'll be doing the antlers last because they'll be added with metallic thread which is an absolute pain in the arse to work with because it tangles and snags so easily. But at least they'll look sparkly.

Oh wow! That is looking so beautiful! =D

Tail is done! (except for one single stitch)

user posted image

The snowflake patterns on the wings are being added with metallic thread (and reminding me of why I hate metallic thread) but they don't show up too well in the pictures, I need to get a decent photo of this during the day with no flash. Now it's pretty much just filling gaps before I do the antlers, but I want everything to be done before I go on to the antlers because using that much metallic thread may end in me throwing it out the window...

Also, if these were on the Dragon Cave store, they would sell out very quickly because there would only be one available and when it was gone they'd be out of stock for the six or so months it would take me to make a new one...

Tail is done! (except for one single stitch)

user posted image

The snowflake patterns on the wings are being added with metallic thread (and reminding me of why I hate metallic thread) but they don't show up too well in the pictures, I need to get a decent photo of this during the day with no flash. Now it's pretty much just filling gaps before I do the antlers, but I want everything to be done before I go on to the antlers because using that much metallic thread may end in me throwing it out the window...

Also, if these were on the Dragon Cave store, they would sell out very quickly because there would only be one available and when it was gone they'd be out of stock for the six or so months it would take me to make a new one...

This is so beautiful! now I really want to take on cross stitching!

Cross-stitching is actually really fun... unless it's counted and/or you don't have the patience for it, as I am finding out. xd.png Watching the progress on this though still makes me want to cross-stitch a dragon from the cave. Great work so far, and good luck with that metallic thread!

That is AWESOME. A fellow stitcher here. I have to ask, did you eyeball it to figure out what shades to use? Did you use any tricks to convert the image into a pattern? And are you willing to share said pattern? :x

I love stitching dragons, need to get back into the habit myself.

Side question, is that geisha/Japanese lady based on a Joan Elliot pattern?

*wanders in*

*gapes*

She's stunning! A really wonderful interpretation of Odeen's art! smile.gif And reminds me that I was considering trying to make a beaded Shimmerscale at some point...

Re shop - selling actual embroidered ones would never work, but maybe the cross stitch pattern giving the required thread colours? I 'unno, but I'd be tempted to buy one. 0_0;

I missed that there had been updates to this. I am really loving it.

I would certainly be interested in purchasing a pattern for this beauty if you came up with one. I don't know if I would ever actually stitch it, but I would gladly add it to my stash! laugh.gif

What I wouldn't give for the pattern + a list of colors necessary to make the SA version.

I would certainly be interested in purchasing a pattern for this beauty if you came up with one. I don't know if I would ever actually stitch it, but I would gladly add it to my stash! laugh.gif

Likewise! laugh.gif *tries not to imagine a glorious medley of cross-stitched Holiday dragons*

*fails* xd.png

@Odeen - I tried an online pattern creator, but didn't like the results. Might have to have a play in Photoshop with a DMC/rgb converter! biggrin.gif

Edited by Amazon_warrior

*tries not to imagine a glorious medley of cross-stitched Holiday dragons*

Now that you mentioned it, I couldn't help but start to imagine that too. I really like the thought. happy.gif Especially because of holiday dragons.

Also, the Solstice looks absolutely stunning so far, I must praise you for a job well done! I'm really looking forward to see more updates and the finished product. :3c

Sorry for the long absence, sadly I don't have much progress to show for it. It's down to the point where I'm pretty much adding one or two stitches into the body to finish it before starting on the horns... which I am also totally procrastinating on because I really hate metallic threads. I love the effect, but actually sewing them is a huge pain in the butt because they tangle so easily. But I am going to crack down and get it finished in an evening or two because I want to hang it up at Christmas.

In regards to the pattern, there actually isn't one as such. I started one, but then realised I could just slap a grid over the original pixel art in Photoshop and eyeball it from there, which is what I've done. I'm happy to post the image I'm working from and a list of the colours I've used (all DMC threads) but only if Odeen is okay with that since it's her art.

There are other dragons that I'd like to sew as well, like the Gemshards, Embers and Guardian of Nature, and for holiday dragons the Radiant Angel and Desipis. But first I need to finish this one, otherwise it'll never get its horns!

@Silverfang - the geisha pattern is a Dimensions Gold Petites kit caled 'Elegant Geisha'. I've got one of their big kits as well, but so far I've been too intimidated by the multi-page pattern to start it.

The multi paged projects can be intimidating. But they don't need to be. Gridding fabric is always a help.

As for the metallic threads, a bit of advice, a bit of beeswax rubbed over the ends of the metallic floss can help. Also work with lengths of no more than 12 inches. Depending on where you live, you can get Krenik blending fillament and braid, which is far easier to use than the light effects.

If you are a fan of stitching dragons, I might be able to help you find some patterns that I've stumbled across.

Finally the entire body is finished and the horns have been started. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

user posted image

Edited by Jen-Kollic

Aaaaaaand, finished!

user posted image

It's now hanging up on one of my bookshelves in the circular frame. I used some glow in the dark threads on the orb between the horns, but I'm not sure how strong the glow will be. Still, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out, thanks again to Odeen for letting me use her awesome design!

Woah, it's looking amazing! It's always great to see projects like this all finished. The horns look accurate and shiny, and the glow in the dark effect sounds really cool too, such a nice addition to the overall beauty.

Amazing! You really did her proud, and the glow-in-the-dark thread sounds like a lovely touch. biggrin.gif *wishes she didn't already have far too much to do without adding DC-related crafts to the list*

Edited by Amazon_warrior