rendragyn

Make CB Golds **slighty** less rare

Syphoneira, that was shortly after the Mod Mayhem release. That was April 1, 2010.

Whatever it was, I do agree that 2013 was nice. And that the current lag on the top of the hour is a bit brutal. Though it seems worse if I actually click on something. Then it's like I freeze for a minute or more.

I remember at least a couple of people complaining during the gold rush that CB metals had lost their trade value due to the increased supply.

I remember at least a couple of people complaining during the gold rush that CB metals had lost their trade value due to the increased supply.

because there's always complainers. Either there's too much or too little. There is not happy medium and I of one believe that whatever is causing these dragons to be so extremely hard to find is the over abundance of "I want!" without gving the breed a chance to catch up to its ratios andeven out. So much breeding and catching that the site is thinking there are more than there should. Though f course considering that none of us know how the site truly works my opinion could be completely invalid.

So regardless it could be that they have been coded to be far too rare, could be ratios working against us, could be a case of severe bad luck, who knows.

I would definitely agree to this. I've been on DC for about five (six?) years now, and I have one CB silver that was gifted to me. Even when actively hunting for them I am lucky to even see one.

You know - here's one SHOCKER of an idea.

Maybe we should have a scroll limit - only one growing CB metal (or maybe one egg and one hatchie) on any one scroll at any time. (Breeding would not be affected.)

This would at least stop scripters - I am at this moment aware of two scrolls with rather similar names where there are at any one time 7 gold CB eggs almost all the time. (Just looked and one has at this moment 5 of yesterday's gold eggs have hatched, as has a 2 gen tin (bet they paid multiple golds for that...) and they seem to have another 3 fogged (which are always golds.) The other still has 7 gold eggs, all caught the same day, most with 4 days 6-8 hours, the others with 4 days 13. 7 golds caught the same day. That has to be - strange.

(Yes, mods have been told.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Maybe we should have a scroll limit - only one growing CB metal (or maybe one egg and one hatchie) on any one scroll at any time. (Breeding would not be affected.)

This would at least stop scripters - I am at this moment aware of two scrolls with rather similar names where there are at any one time 7 gold CB eggs almost all the time. (Just looked and one has at this moment 5 of yesterday's gold eggs have hatched, as has a tin, and they seem to have another 3 fogged (which are always golds.) The other still has 7 gold eggs, all caught the same day, most with 4 days 6-8 hours, the others with 4 days 13. 7 golds caught the same day. That has to be - strange.

This sounds like a promotional poster for multi-scrolling.

The only suggestion that I can give is to move all excess blockers to the AP instead of having them destroyed on the hour, one way or another.

It would fix the currently tilted ratios through the AP, and by extension making things exactly as rare as they SHOULD be. No telling if metallics are going to become rarer, more common or basically the same though.

But then you're interfering with lineage hunters. I only go to the AP when I want to pick up lineaged eggs; I don't want a bunch of CBs making that far more difficult. It'd be great if there was a separate AP for CBs versus bred eggs, though. I acknowledge the good that suggestion will do, but as it stands I think it'll hurt the AP for a decent number of people too.

Edited by Tehya Faye

This sounds like a promotional poster for multi-scrolling.

Maybe - but scripting wouldn't work, just the same. And I actually think that is more damaging to the main player base - set it to run, hey presto in an hour or two you have hoovered up on one scroll all those golds honest players could have caught.

ETA hallelujah - one of the offending scrolls has just been burned. YAY admins.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Maybe - but scripting wouldn't work, just the same. And I actually think that is more damaging to the main player base - set it to run, hey presto in an hour or two you have hoovered up on one scroll all those golds honest players could have caught.

ETA hallelujah - one of the offending scrolls has just been burned. YAY admins.

And I bet it was only burned for being a multi, not for using scripts. :/

I think the rarity could be reduced a little. I had a period of time - about two months - where I was a very frequent cave-stalker and the only rare dragons I managed to snatch was a few Bluesangs. During that period I only ever saw one Copper and one gold, never Almandines and Spessartines and I stalked the coast-region a lot!

I have been on DC for quite some years, but with a lot of breaks and I've never ever caught a CB metal. Ever xd.png

I don't mind stuff being rare, but as someone else mentioned, there's a fine line between 'rare' and 'impossible' - specially considering the lag that a lot of people (including myself) are experiencing during the top of the hour where the biggest drop is.

I support the rarity of some dragons being tweaked a teeny-tiny bit. ^^

I think if there were going to be changes to rare ratios they would need to be for Almandines and Spessartines, which aren't supposed to be rare let alone super rare.

This. As well as Coppers, I don't think they were supposed to become this rare. But Golds and Silvers, I mean, they're ratios aren't really stable. Right now it looks like a high population ("high population" in metallic terms) of Silvers. It's kinda hard to determine supporting or not supporting this suggestion because we don't know the ratios.

No. Nonononononono. No.

Yes, scripting is bad. Yes, multi-scrolling is bad. You aren't going to stop people who are determined to cheat this way. They'll only find another way to do essentially the same thing.

All this will do is harm legitimate players who:

1. have an awesome connection and lots of time

2. players who have something very valuable to trade

3. legitimate players with good trading skills and connections with lots of players.

I've had multiple cb metals on my scroll often enough to find the idea of this very disturbing. Suppose for a moment that I submit a Christmas dragon to TJ that he decides to use. Are you going to tell me that I can't trade offspring from my cb spriter's alts for multiple cb metals? Because essentially either I could only accept one for a trade or have to resort to IOUs, which are not officially supported. I don't think anything that promotes IOU trading is a good idea for the game. I don't think anything that limits what I can ask for an egg is a good idea for the game.

No. Nonononononono. No.

Yes, scripting is bad. Yes, multi-scrolling is bad. You aren't going to stop people who are determined to cheat this way. They'll only find another way to do essentially the same thing.

3. legitimate players with good trading skills and connections with lots of players.

I've had multiple cb metals on my scroll often enough to find the idea of this very disturbing. Suppose for a moment that I submit a Christmas dragon to TJ that he decides to use. Are you going to tell me that I can't trade offspring from my cb spriter's alts for multiple cb metals? Because essentially either I could only accept one for a trade or have to resort to IOUs, which are not officially supported. I don't think anything that promotes IOU trading is a good idea for the game. I don't think anything that limits what I can ask for an egg is a good idea for the game.

It was but a thought smile.gif No biggie. I bow to your trading ability !

But when there ARE people offering 7-8 existing CB metals - well, it does seem a mite fishy, especially when they were all caught within an hour...

One statement from a very long hiatus: you could always ban certain rares from appearing after a certain amount of time/caught within a period which would prevent abuse, but encourage people to waste electricity to a certain point that the amount gained is not worth the bill.

No. Nonononononono. No.

If fuzzbucket's suggestion was implemented, nobody would have multiple CB metals to trade for your spriter's alt.

By the way, I'm thinking "nononononono" as well, just amused at the idea of what the suggestion would do to the "trading market".

The way to stop cheaters is to report them when you see them. Then trust TJ to do his job. Putting restrictions on that would inhibit normal play only hurts legitimate players because cheaters will find a way around the restrictions.

I have no opinion on the relative rarity of cb golds because I can't know how frequently they actually drop. Only TJ can know for certain. If the drops are all getting eaten up by cheaters it won't matter what adjustment TJ makes to the drop rate - you still won't see them because cheaters are cheaters. If the drop rate is fine but the RNG is in a clump of "nope" you won't see them. If the determined rarity is fine but they aren't showing up because there are so many blockers being generated that the biomes are glutted with them you won't see them.

I think fixing other things is what is needed.

I hate this type of conversation, because it always devolves into what it's become: multi's and scripts. The suggestions that always come up basically punish legit players and does nothing but hurt everyone in hindsight. All you can do is report and just leave it at that.

As for the actual topic at hand: I'm neutral. I'd like if metals were a bit less rare, but I'm not crying in my coffee about it either. They're not my main love so I really have no stake in it.

Maybe, instead of a scroll limit, make it a 24-hour limit for catching CB metals (of one kind)?

Why I'm thinking this:

If you caught 1 CB gold, you can't catch another for 24 hours. However, you can still catch a CB silver or whatever else you'd wnat.

It still allows people to stuff their scrolls with growing CB golds, but at a lower rate, so it doesn't prevent people from trading several CB golds for something even more rare.

However, scripting only will get you so far. (I mean, 6 or 7 CB golds within one hour - that seems very fishy indeed.)

(I mean, 6 or 7 CB golds within one hour - that seems very fishy indeed.)

6 or 7 CB Golds within one hour? That is a common, not a rare...

This would at least stop scripters - I am at this moment aware of two scrolls with rather similar names where there are at any one time 7 gold CB eggs almost all the time. (Just looked and one has at this moment 5 of yesterday's gold eggs have hatched, as has a 2 gen tin (bet they paid multiple golds for that...) and they seem to have another 3 fogged (which are always golds.) The other still has 7 gold eggs, all caught the same day, most with 4 days 6-8 hours, the others with 4 days 13. 7 golds caught the same day. That has to be - strange.

It won't stop scripters. They'll just make a dozen scrolls. It'll screw over the good catchers and it'll screw over the rare traders.

I occasionally have multiple NDs on scroll; I have a max of 3-4 days to trade those before they grow up. If I want metal trades, being limited to one such trade would be quite annoying, and I won't have time for two trades before my NDs grow. And judging from other replies here, I'm not the only one thinking this way.

The way to stop cheaters is to report them when you see them. Then trust TJ to do his job. Putting restrictions on that would inhibit normal play only hurts legitimate players because cheaters will find a way around the restrictions.

I have no opinion on the relative rarity of cb golds because I can't know how frequently they actually drop. Only TJ can know for certain. If the drops are all getting eaten up by cheaters it won't matter what adjustment TJ makes to the drop rate - you still won't see them because cheaters are cheaters. If the drop rate is fine but the RNG is in a clump of "nope" you won't see them. If the determined rarity is fine but they aren't showing up because there are so many blockers being generated that the biomes are glutted with them you won't see them.

I think fixing other things is what is needed.

QFT. Frankly I don't think anything needs fixing, the ratios are just shifting as usual.

Please, no limits. And I am certainly not speaking as one who could catch more than one CB Gold in a day -- heck, I have never caught one ever -- but I don't see this as punishing cheaters at all. They will find a way around it and you end up punishing the honest players who have the time and interest to sit in the cave and wait.

As I said earlier, if CB Golds are hard to get right now it is probably just a natural fluctuation in the supply. It happens all the time with many different breeds. I don't see it as a problem that needs fixed.

6 or 7 CB Golds within one hour? That is a common, not a rare...

7 golds fall in one hour - along with 493 stones, 300 howlers, 276 sun/moonstones and so on. No - just one person catches the lot mad.gif

It is the case that there were, this morning, 7 CB gold eggs on one scroll - 4 with 4 days 6 hours to go and 3 with 4 days 13 hours. The scroll is now hidden, or I'd show you.

But yes - nothing will stop cheats. Fair point.

Edited by fuzzbucket