rendragyn

Make CB Golds **slighty** less rare

On top of that, there are just as many fast clickers in the AP as there are in the caves so it is very possible that those would be the majority in obtaining for example any 2nd gens I make if more than one happens and then using it as trade fodder. Not only do Prizes already breed poorly, if the few times they breed well and for that matter more than one, you are setting up the trouble for someone to use mine or someone elses babies as trade fodder to get what they want. I like gifting my babies and my fails, it makes it easier on the users requesting and as such gives me the liberty to breed as I am able. I have no underlying pressure of this person traded me a ton of rares or is working hard on an IOU so I should try and get that shiny baby as soon as possible.

Another note is what if I aimed for a fail and got lets say a fail and a shiny in a multiclutch? I could grab the shiny but then I would loose the fail I needed to gift. I could grab the fail but someone might abuse of my shiny and use it for trade fodder which given, once of my scroll is not my choice but we each have a certain intent for our pairs.

We all breed how we feel is fit for our scroll and goals. Some breed specifically to AP, others breed to gift, others breed to trade, others breed only for projects. It would be unfair to mess up someone's breeding style because you wan to force multiclutch on them. We all have specific plans and requirements for the things we breed. It feels like an overstep should multiclutching come back. There is a BSA in the planning that would make multiclutching optional. Those who want to multiclutch can and as such use the BSA. If they dont, they dont.

The market in all honesty doesnt matter to me since I don't use my prize that way. I do my best to play at the same level as everyone else. I will catch and breed and do what I can to get my dragons from trades as legitimate and work fueled as possible. I want to be one of the demonstrations that not all prize owners use their babies as trade fodder or get everything and anything they want with them. My prize was an amazing gift, I want to return the favor by gifting or trading as minimally as possible (meaning making the trades for them as simple and attainable as possible).

Edited by AnanoKimi

Pffffft. Please tell me what is incorrect. That only a minority is able today to catch uncommons and rares? We must have been reading different fora.

Edit: I'm not talking about how things should be. I'm talking about how things ARE.

Lol, you must have been tired! smile.gif

What I believe Lurhstaap to have been essentially saying was that it was not supposed to be that only a very small number of people could ever have a chance to fully play the game and that it was incorrect to assume that this was intended or desirable in any well-designed game of this type.

She seemed to me to be pointing out the same things, from her perspective as a game designer, as my (amateur) self and others have, that a lot of players would find being excluded from ever being able to get ahead in a game discouraging and not fun at all, and that attrition would obviously occur.

There are also other highly pertinent factors to be considered.

When people live in a world increasingly controlled by those measuring human worth by things like the size of their stock portfolios and off-shore accounts, they especially don't need to spend leisure time in a fantasy world where, being unable to afford hot computers and super-fast connections, they are also framed as second-class citizens rightfully unable to access even freely available (if less frequently so than most,) natural resources which they also need for various purposes, no matter how hard they try, because these virtually all go up to the top few, as in RL, to be made more scarce and therefore more quickly snapped up by these in a worsening cycle, enabled by scarcity/'austerity' scenarios.

The psychological benefit of getting away from a RL where too-often nothing they do can ever help them to keep up, never mind get ahead, in playing a game where they hope that investing time and effort CAN bring rewards, is lost and replaced with more of the depressing same.

The fact that so many people have stayed so long despite various ongoing issues shows that there is much they value in DC, the distraction and community of which in the past has helped people get through various personal disasters, including the loss of family members, and indicates why the game as a family site matters to people - it's not just another clone of so many others and something highly competitive and fast a number of us simply would not be interested in playing, even if we could.

But in a family site game of this sort, with all ages all around the world playing, including people who may otherwise not be much interested in games, many people are looking for fun and frequent reward they don't get in RL, something to perk them up and keep them going.

If they were looking for 'challenges', boring repetitive button-pushing or a further inability to get ahead, they could do that in their 3rd job and at least be paid something for it, lol.

Honestly, how many people would want to waste their leisure-time playing a game where most members essentially are present only to play the role of rats clustered under the tables of an elite in the hope that a crumb might fall, here and there, when they could be doing something fun?

Edit: lol, eliminated an extra word one less to read!

Edited by Syphoneira

^Yes, all of that.

A game doesn't need to be as depressing as the real world, or what's the point of its existence?

Everyone should have an equal shot, which at this moment in time, that is very far from the case.

(There's lots of ideas being thrown around, but I wish TJ would engage more and tell us exactly what he'd be /willing/ to do about it, because we can't talk about it forever, but what good is it if we reach a solution he refuses to implement?)

While I think that I understand different points of view expressed here, as previously said, I still would like to see CB Metals drop as frequently as they were in 2013 and, as happened then, gradually, become rarer again. Actually, I would like that cycle to repeat periodically, maybe annually.

Probably, if that was to happen, offspring of CB Prizes will be only blood-swapped, but I think that broader availability for people that want to complete their scrolls or create lineages would compensate that disadvantage. I don't want to be confrontational but if I compare disadvantages for a few compared with advantages for many, majority wins.

Still, I must agree with a point brought up. Not everybody will be able to catch CB Metals even if we return to the levels seen in 2013. But would be easier than is now.

Edit: I like the idea of adding more rares to fill those gaps in the rarity pyramid. Whatever brings more dragons to the game, I will cheer for.

Edited by _Sin_

This one's mommy came from my scroll. wub.gif

*cough* Anyway, there's some truth to what AnanoKimi says.

So, to sum up the overall suggestions (plus maybe one or two of my own):

• Decrease rarity of the very rare or hard to get breeds somewhat so regular players can actually get them with some effort.
  • Maybe add some semi-rares to fill in the gaps in the rarity pyramid? (I'm not a fan of that one, to be frank. I don't want more breeds I cannot get.)
  • When the biomes get shuffled, put the eggs in the AP instead of back into the queue. (Alternately, put all untaken eggs into the AP instead of destroying them on the full hour? Might work better with the suggestion below.) => Low-time eggs are more likely to be picked up, even if they're blockers.
  • Shuffle more often, maybe every minute? => More shuffling, more chances at finding what you're looking for - which might be rares, but also a certain kind of common. More movement, more biome hunters, more commons picked up, more rares for everyone. Hopefully.
  • Try some more measures to fight cheaters? wink.gif Of course, nobody but TJ knows what he's already doing to prevent cheating, but, well, one can always hope.
Any other ideas?

...get this shop idea from Thuban going so people can get Golds through collecting something (cannot remember what the suggestion exactly was).

Considering that all I have left to do in this game is collecting dragons for my new low scroll goals, ND experimenting and breeding for other people I would NOW be more than happy to earn a CB Gold through another way. Just so that my goals are complete and don't have to bother wasting my time sitting in front of the screen for hours and F5ing.

I think a shop where people could slowly earn rares just from being active would be nice. A CB Gold per year or so is not going to break the game.

I'm not sure about making them more common normally, though. Things like spriter's alt babies / prize babies / neglecteds can regularly go for multiple CB Golds. Now imagine if Golds were more abundant. Those things cost even MORE, encouraging those who can catch them to grab even MORE, things go in circles... Although I guess you could hope a few more slip through the cracks to others.

Idk, the inclusion of super special elite dragons in the game kinda funked up the rare market, I'm not sure there is a real way to fix it.

Implementing the shop along with some sort of way to get the eggs generated by the cave into the system is probably the best fix for the issue.

...get this shop idea from Thuban going so people can get Golds through collecting something (cannot remember what the suggestion exactly was).

Considering that all I have left to do in this game is collecting dragons for my new low scroll goals, ND experimenting and breeding for other people I would NOW be more than happy to earn a CB Gold through another way. Just so that my goals are complete and don't have to bother wasting my time sitting in front of the screen for hours and F5ing.

Okay, added that suggestion to the list. smile.gif

And, quote for new page:

So, to sum up the overall suggestions (plus maybe one or two of my own):

• Decrease rarity of the very rare or hard to get breeds somewhat so regular players can actually get them with some effort.
  • Maybe add some semi-rares to fill in the gaps in the rarity pyramid? (I'm not a fan of that one, to be frank. I don't want more breeds I cannot get.)
  • When the biomes get shuffled, put the eggs in the AP instead of back into the queue. (Alternately, put all untaken eggs into the AP instead of destroying them on the full hour? Might work better with the suggestion below.) => Low-time eggs are more likely to be picked up, even if they're blockers.
  • Shuffle more often, maybe every minute? => More shuffling, more chances at finding what you're looking for - which might be rares, but also a certain kind of common. More movement, more biome hunters, more commons picked up, more rares for everyone. Hopefully.
  • Try some more measures to fight cheaters? wink.gif Of course, nobody but TJ knows what he's already doing to prevent cheating, but, well, one can always hope.
  • Add some kind of in-game shop where even slow catchers can earn rares for activity. (1-2 per year?)
Any other ideas?

Shuffle more often, maybe every minute? => More shuffling, more chances at finding what you're looking for - which might be rares, but also a certain kind of common. More movement, more biome hunters, more commons picked up, more rares for everyone. Hopefully.

Also it would mean less pressure from hunters at the top hour and the 5 minutes mark.

Shuffle more often, maybe every minute? => More shuffling, more chances at finding what you're looking for - which might be rares, but also a certain kind of common. More movement, more biome hunters, more commons picked up, more rares for everyone. Hopefully.

I suggested/mentioned this idea long(years?) ago. I'm still waiting for it. To me, it's a great idea.

If shuffling the biomes is an option lets leave it at 5 minutes but instead do that 5 minute AP Dump thing that was suggested in another thread. 5 minute AP dump not only moves the biomes but makes those unwanted eggs desirable, fixes ratios while its at it, and makes it easier to get what we want. Its constantly updating the eggs and since there is no major flush of eggs at the top of the hour there should be no lag.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I think a shop where people could slowly earn rares just from being active would be nice. A CB Gold per year or so is not going to break the game.

I'm not sure about making them more common normally, though. Things like spriter's alt babies / prize babies / neglecteds can regularly go for multiple CB Golds. Now imagine if Golds were more abundant. Those things cost even MORE, encouraging those who can catch them to grab even MORE, things go in circles... Although I guess you could hope a few more slip through the cracks to others.

Idk, the inclusion of super special elite dragons in the game kinda funked up the rare market, I'm not sure there is a real way to fix it.

Why does everyone automatically assume that if Golds/Silvers/Pyrals/Blusang/Copper/whatever is hard to get all became more accessible to those who need them for the sprites/lineages that MORE would necessarily be demanded by all CB Prize and Spriter's Alt owners?

We TOTALLY need to seriously consider this question and those surrounding it.

Are they all insanely greedy?

Will they necessarily all test the very edges of what the market will bear?

Or do they mostly simply want/need certain dragons?

These 'trade fodder' dragons are not a trading investment that will grow - the trading value of each is lost within days, once they grow up on a scroll.

The trading value of 2nd gen Golds/Silvers/Pyrals/Blusang/Copper/whatever-trade-fodder varies from very little to not much, relatively speaking.

The trading value of such CB 'trading fodder' dragons is based on people wanting them, traditionally for scroll completion or beginning/continuing lines/lineages.

For most people, once a certain point of saturation is reached beyond which a conceivable use can be found for a particular sprite they're collecting, they move onto something else.

This is where new dragons regularly Released provide excitement and fresh need to hunt/trade/breed.

This is why Dragon Cave - rather than Dragon Trade - was joined by many people.

The initial cause of the insane prices for 2nd gen Prizes was rooted in extreme scarcity, where those capable of catching multiples of the next-most-hard-to-obtain dragons offered as many as they could to try to tempt CB Prize owners *with already years-long lists for poorly-producing dragons* (so generally unobtainable at ANY price) to take on more - and some CB Prize owners quit because of this intolerable stress, while many other members lost interest in the redirected 'Wall St.' game and wandered away.

This was not the fault of the owners or of the members trying to get them - it was the fault of the scarcity situation - we already know that doesn't work.

It's bad for the members, bad for the game - we lose people over it.

Super-high trade prices are not necessary for dragons to be valued by most players - the original and actual purpose of trading at DC was and is to obtain wanted/needed dragons.

The dragons themselves are the point of DC, not their 'price', which is driven by user demand.

Yes, it's higher for some when more scarce - and we've seen what scarcity does.

But it doesn't have to stay at over-the-roof levels or be moved up if the effort of roofing reduces.

We all need roofs over our heads - in this case, a chance, with reasonable time and effort, of catching any of all dragons in the Cave, something which could be achieved by making it more possible for members other than the fastest to do so.

We need to sort out what's actually more important; the members, the dragons, and the game itself - or the artificially high trading prices within a limited group?

Why can't we go back to collecting/breeding/swapping dragons valued for themselves, rather than assume that a disastrous and unprecedented status quo NOT built into the game MUST be maintained?

We really need to think about our assumptions, rather than accepting problems as 'givens' we either have to suffer with or avoid - crawl out of our mental boxes, and maybe back into a DC where we ALL have at least some opportunity and a chance - long shot or not - to move ahead in the game.

Edit: and thank-you, AnanoKimi, for that wonderful post above, sparing me the effort, lol.

Edited by Syphoneira

This is probably a bad idea, but I might as well throw it out there. What if the biomes displayed a random three eggs that were in them every time an individual user refreshed, so it showed different eggs to everyone. This would balance out the whole "user A is faster than user B so user B never gets rares" aspect, since it would be largely luck-based. With persistence and dedication, you could be the only user who a CB gold shows up for, and grab it before anyone else refreshes. Scripters can't beat people to an egg if they can't even see it (unless they just got six or seven computers all refreshing at the same time...). New eggs would still drop every five minutes, maybe more frequently, because the rare eggs would be picked over much faster. Egg drops also might have to significantly increase in size, from (guessing) around 15 eggs per biome to more like 50, or 100, so that it would take a while for everything to be sorted through by hunters. The largest problem I see with this is that it would further disadvantage people like me, with terrible internet and long page refresh times, as compared to people with fast internet who can rapidly cycle between eggs.

EDIT:

Why does everyone automatically assume that if Golds/Silvers/Pyrals/Blusang/Copper/whatever is hard to get all became more accessible to those who need them for the sprites/lineages that MORE would necessarily be demanded by all CB Prize and Spriter's Alt owners?

I can't speak for everyone, but honestly, the largest market factor is not what is being asked for by prize owners. It's what is being offered to them. Since getting 2G prizes is a competition, and often the best offer wins, if more CB metals are available, people will just offer more, and many prize owners will pick the highest offer. However, there are dozens of friendly and kind prize owners who will ask for very little, if nothing.

Edited by The_Bucket

This is probably a bad idea, but I might as well throw it out there. What if the biomes displayed a random three eggs that were in them every time an individual user refreshed, so it showed different eggs to everyone. This would balance out the whole "user A is faster than user B so user B never gets rares" aspect, since it would be largely luck-based. With persistence and dedication, you could be the only user who a CB gold shows up for, and grab it before anyone else refreshes. Scripters can't beat people to an egg if they can't even see it (unless they just got six or seven computers all refreshing at the same time...). New eggs would still drop every five minutes, maybe more frequently, because the rare eggs would be picked over much faster. Egg drops also might have to significantly increase in size, from (guessing) around 15 eggs per biome to more like 50, or 100, so that it would take a while for everything to be sorted through by hunters. The largest problem I see with this is that it would further disadvantage people like me, with terrible internet and long page refresh times, as compared to people with fast internet who can rapidly cycle between eggs.

Are you basically suggesting a single cave for each user? An entire unique set for every people refreshing?

With the large amout of breeds we have I don't know how well this would work out. I also don't know how well this would translate should we decide to keep all the biomes, but honestly this sounds nice. I would like this because it would give everyone an equal opportunity and as said it could deter scripters. No one cave/biome will show the same thing to two people meaning each person has just the same chance of finding something good.

Are you basically suggesting a single cave for each user? An entire unique set for every people refreshing?

No. It would still generate eggs normally, but instead of shuffling every five minutes like it does now, it would shuffle every time a user refreshed - but only for that user. So the eggs in the cave would stay the same, but each user would see a different section of them, and that section of them would change every time they refreshed. It would still be statistically very likely that if you saw a CB gold, one or two other people would as well - I suspect only somewhere around fifteen eggs generate per biome right now, and if ten users were shuffling through fifteen eggs, three at a time, people seeing the same eggs at the same time would be a constant. That being said, instead of having to compete with ten people for it, you would only have to compete with a few. And of course drop sizes could be increased, to reduce the chances of users "bumping into each other" so to speak.

EDIT:

I can't speak for everyone, but honestly, the largest market factor is not what is being asked for by prize owners. It's what is being offered to them. Since getting 2G prizes is a competition, and often the best offer wins, if more CB metals are available, people will just offer more, and many prize owners will pick the highest offer. However, there are dozens of friendly and kind prize owners who will ask for very little, if nothing.

So the cave has to read the number of people there and adjust accordingly. If each person sees a different set of eggs, and there are 20 people in that biome, that is 60 eggs needing to be shuffled around every time some refreshes? I suspect lag would be an even worse problem than it already is.

So the cave has to read the number of people there and adjust accordingly.  If each person sees a different set of eggs, and there are 20 people in that biome, that is 60 eggs needing to be shuffled around every time some refreshes?  I suspect lag would be an even worse problem than it already is.

For what it's worth, speaking as a web-developer, it's usually not much more resource intensive to offer three random eggs from the egg backlog instead of three fixed ones. And since the list changes on each refresh, there's no need to keep track of anything - just pick three random eggs from the backlog.

So I doubt it would have an effect on lag.

(I have no opinion on the suggestion itself yet, I should add. My instinct is to be sceptical, but I have no solid objection just yet.)

Edited by pinkgothic

So the cave has to read the number of people there and adjust accordingly. If each person sees a different set of eggs, and there are 20 people in that biome, that is 60 eggs needing to be shuffled around every time some refreshes? I suspect lag would be an even worse problem than it already is.

No. People would see random eggs, not necessarily different eggs. They could still see the very same eggs, it would just be statistically less likely.

I'll give this a big +1 for me. It's a good suggestion that could work in the cave. Right now a lot of rares just 'go to waste' when being spawned because no one picks the blockers up and if the number of ultra rares being spawned each hour is as low as people claim (and I too belive) then I don't think it'll have that big of an effect.

If someone want to shuffle through the eggs non-stop for hours, fine by me! Seems like a good suggestion smile.gif

What if the biomes displayed a random three eggs that were in them every time an individual user refreshed, so it showed different eggs to everyone.

This was called the "egg shuffle" and we tried it before. Basically, all highly desirable eggs get sniped super quick and then there's nothing but blockers left, so we abandoned the idea. ^^

This was called the "egg shuffle" and we tried it before. Basically, all highly desirable eggs get sniped super quick and then there's nothing but blockers left, so we abandoned the idea. ^^

That's why I said that maybe drops could be more frequent, like every minute or so. (And the desirable eggs are snatched up anyways - what difference does it make if there is an ungrabbed CB Gold if it's hidden behind miles of backlog and doesn't come out in a shuffle?)

Edited by The_Bucket

No. It would still generate eggs normally, but instead of shuffling every five minutes like it does now, it would shuffle every time a user refreshed - but only for that user. So the eggs in the cave would stay the same, but each user would see a different section of them, and that section of them would change every time they refreshed. It would still be statistically very likely that if you saw a CB gold, one or two other people would as well - I suspect only somewhere around fifteen eggs generate per biome right now, and if ten users were shuffling through fifteen eggs, three at a time, people seeing the same eggs at the same time would be a constant. That being said, instead of having to compete with ten people for it, you would only have to compete with a few. And of course drop sizes could be increased, to reduce the chances of users "bumping into each other" so to speak.

Bad idea. That's how Tale of Dragons worked. It allowed you to pretty much just grind for rares and made the game WAY too easy.

Bad idea. That's how Tale of Dragons worked. It allowed you to pretty much just grind for rares and made the game WAY too easy.

Well it seither we all get a chance to grind for rares as well as uncommons and the occasional hard to come by common or only a select few get a chance to get all the rares that ever show up with the occasional lucky user who somehow against all odds grabs one.

I like buckets idea better :3

The only other solution that could counter this is the 5 minute AP dump where instead of all eggs shuffling after 5 minutes, any egg that sits in the biomes for more than 5 minutes gets kicked to the AP where it eventually get picked up at a lower time and incuhatches.

Edited by AnanoKimi

EDIT:

While some very good points are made in this suggestion, not so sure myself about the idea of different Caves for different people...

With a change every Refresh, anything desirable in the back-log would be rapidly picked out, leaving nothing but Blockers and reducing the future production of anything BUT the hourly regenerated Blockers.

Currently, I believe the eggs Dropping into the biomes to be in a line-up generated every hour, based on several factors such as the number of people on and the numbers of each egg type required for the ratios.

So as rares were picked out early in every hour, more untaken types would be produced until nothing else remained, every hour, until the rares became essentially extinct.

(Edit: totally ninja'd here by Socky, lol, takes me forever to post... xd.png )

What I'd personally like to see would be something like the AP dump of untaken biome eggs every shuffle to gradually help balance the ratios as low-time Commons are raised rather than regenerated in an endless cycle and increase biome movement as more variety began to appear.

(This needs to be paired with regular New Releases for evident reasons.)

But on the second point - exactly!

It's the insane offers that drove the prices up in the first place and the insane offers that maintain them.

We may not be able to hope that any sense of the long-term effects will affect what offers various people capable of compiling them actually make, but over time, with increased numbers of CB/2nd gen Prizes and with increased numbers available of 'trade fodder' dragons, the prices should continue to become less out of balance with everything else.

4th gen are now considered 'worthless' (although still greatly desired by many - just means that they're no longer atrociously priced for only those with 'the makings') and 3rd gens are now falling into this range as well.

Many Prize owners are reasonable people just trying to get dragons they can't catch themselves and need/want.

When they get enough of one sprite, they'll move onto something else, although their concerns will naturally be with their own needs and wants. which will typically involve things like keeping some babies, swapping for 2nd gens from other lines, obtaining mates for these, gifting, etc., rather than exclusively trading for other dragons, including herds of Golds or whatever - but much of this also increases their breeding pool so that, ultimately, far more lower-gens will potentially be available.

In some cases, they may not even have room for some offers they get, lol.

But time and again, I've heard people come out with comments that because they didn't get any offers on a higher-value trade, that they clearly weren't high enough offers to tempt people, rather than realizing that very often nobody who has seen their offer may have what they're asking for or want that particular pairing.

And nobody ever considers that maybe a lot of Prize owners have enough CB Golds already.

If they aren't actually looking for a particular dragon, offering more of the same gets you nowhere.

Edited by Syphoneira