brisingrrider1

Less Dragon Updates

I feel that a dragon (or four) a month is a bit much for a game such as Dragon Cave where the point is to collect. Only about three generations of a dragon can be born in a month, and if someone really likes one of the new dragons and starts a project with them, it can be difficult, if not impossible to catch up on all the new dragons.

I took a hiatus from the site for schooling reasons and now I'm stuck trying to get maybe 20 new dragons to complete my scroll, with more added every few weeks. This is making it difficult for me to get my scroll to where I want it, and I am getting increasingly more frustrated in my efforts to catch up.

I also think that learning all the egg descriptions (how I make sure I get the CBs of my choice!) is a hassle for people who aren't necessarily very active on DC but wish to have good dragons.

Does anyone agree?

You don' t have to collect every dragon that's released :3 If you don't want the releases just pretend they haven't happened.

Many players have very little to do between new releases - it wouldn't be fair on them to stop releases just because some people have other things they want to do. Also I think it'd be pretty weird if a collecting site didn't keep giving us things to collect - there were so many complaints in the ~six months we went without a standard release.

You might find that after the birthday it eases off a bit - there's no longer a fixed release every month and TJ's been focussing more on updates and new non-dragon features somewhat.

Well, we're all different - some of us really liked having regular scheduled monthly New Releases, and some people only check in to see if there are any new dragons and if there aren't any for too long, they start forgetting to check in.

I think it's a lot easier for me personally to collect dragons when new ones are regularly Released, in part because with people coming here in greater quantities to hunt the new ones, the biomes move more, exposing more than just the same old blockers, plus we generally get at least some more U Views on the fansites for a while, which makes raising dragons easier and the various stages faster.

Edit: the egg descriptions should be on the dragcave Wiki, if that's of any help?

Honestly, I'll hate it if we stop getting monthly Releases again and people I talk to were very relieved that we seemed to be getting back to them.

After this 2nd monthly Release, with hopes of a Release for DC's B-day, there seem to be more people sticking around, although it's dying down again already - people get bored without new dragons... that's kinda a major point for some of us...

Edited by Syphoneira

I like the excitement of new releases. There's the whole rest of the month to catch up and work on breeding projects, and without new dragons coming in frequently there'd be nothing to break up the monotony.

Although it may seem daunting to new users or to users who have been away for a while, for oldies/regulars, it's really not that much. New releases help keep users interested - new and old, since there's constantly updating goals of what to collect. As well, once you start back in, you'll realize who quickly collection can go. In any given month, I collect ~120 dragons (plus or minus a dozen or so depending on my time and energy). If I don't grab any AP stuff and only grab new eggs and incubate them all, with a gold trophy, that's still ~50 dragons a month. It's not that hard to catch up if you are an active and regular user. The only hard thing is when there's a rare/uncommon release, and we all struggle with that. ;3

I was really excited when we started getting regular releases because I love seeing new dragons. I really wouldn't want to go back to just a handful of new dragons a year. It's really stale and boring, IMO. I love regular releases and want to keep them. The more the better, IMHO. =p

<3

I love regular releases and want to keep them. The more the better, IMHO. =p

<3

MY BOLD smile.gif

Please ?

REGULAR.

SCHEDULED, like....

That was a wonderful time... sad.gif

It is SO much easier, too, when you are on capped internet (as I am about to be again for a while !)

Although I can sympathize with new players or players who've been on a long hiatus, I don't think we should stop new releases because they're what keeps those players interested who play regularly. Well, new releases and breeding projects.

That being said, we usually have a pause from releases between October and (early) March, where we only get the three new event sprites and the new prizes - and maybe one little regular release in between, if we're lucky.

But maybe that old idea of "remote biomes" should be resurrected, as it poses some kind of compromise? Although there'd still be more dragons to choose from, and thus, to collect. Eventually.

I don't support that there should be less releases but there should be less dragons released in every month ~ 1 like in April is perfectly enough than 3 new dragons and possible recolors of 1 of the dragons unsure.gif

My preference is 1 dragon released every month. I am pretty much able to keep up, but still trying to complete my goal of the gemshards (the green ones are the hardest to get).

But collecting everything I want is challenging. And that makes it fun and rewarding, when I finally meet my goal. biggrin.gif

Edit to add:

I finally got the green gemshards I needed to complete my goal.

Edited by Dryadia

I agree. More monthly releases, please! I just came back to DC a month ago or so after four yesrs (yes, 4) of hiatus, and I have to admit I was drowning in new eggs for a while. I suppose it's easier to catch up when you have loads of time on your hands, but if you only peak in 10 minutes a day I think helps. I'm not near completing my scroll but I know the descriptions and look of most eggs. I'd definetly not say no to more monthly releases!

I love new releases. I remember my first one ever; the Gemshard, Plated Colossus, and Striped River (says a lot about my membership lol) and I remember the empty caves, the frantic rush to snag an egg, everything. I remember the rush of action, the fun. Do I really want that taken away? Do we want it gone?

There may be one member saying 'STOP THEM AND LET ME CATCH UP' while ten say 'KEEP THE RELEASES COMIN BABY' If a player goes on a hiatus, it is at their expense and it is their choice, and the whole community should not pay for one member or two.

So I do not support this idea, nor ever. I like releases. We all do. Why take the fun away?

(Probably going to edit more in later, the rush to leave the house is very real)

I don't want my dragons updated, I prefer them as they are now.

Oh wait, this is about releases? I'd like some more predictability, but I don't think there should be fewer than there are now.

I love new releases. I remember my first one ever; the Gemshard, Plated Colossus, and Striped River (says a lot about my membership lol) and I remember the empty caves, the frantic rush to snag an egg, everything. I remember the rush of action, the fun. Do I really want that taken away? Do we want it gone?

There may be one member saying 'STOP THEM AND LET ME CATCH UP' while ten say 'KEEP THE RELEASES COMIN BABY' If a player goes on a hiatus, it is at their expense and it is their choice, and the whole community should not pay for one member or two.

So I do not support this idea, nor ever. I like releases. We all do. Why take the fun away?

(Probably going to edit more in later, the rush to leave the house is very real)

I completely agree with you. If the op had their way I would either stop playing or go on hiatus for a few years.

Dude, it was on your own choice to go on hiatus while the rest of us played. Ofc it's to be expected that new dragons would have been released. But guess what. Before the april release, it had been SIX MONTHS without a new dragon release. So no we need more releases not less.

And I personally like having multiple breeds being releases with or without alts or colour morphs.

Edit:No it's not a hassle to learn egg descriptions. Most of them are pretty simple. This egg looks like a glowing stone- Moonstone and sunstone in desert. This egg gives off a beautiful glow- Silver.

You call it a hassle, well I call it being lazy.

Edited by RecycledHeart

As big as the back log of competed dragons is, I do NOT support less releases. I would also prefer to see multiple new dragons each month not just one or two. Release all the things!!!

Moonstone in alpine, sunstone is desert.

Actually, both are in the Desert.

Other sample:

"brightly colored markings" in the Desert are Spitfires; in the Forest, they are Stripeds.

"strange markings" in the Jungle: Horse, in the Forest: Ochredrake, at the Coast: Skywing (and they used to be Frilled, too, back in the old days *sighs*)

Nowadays, new releases tend to get their own unique egg description. Dull with purple stripes? That's a Nhiostrife. It's all doable, and the wiki is your best friend here.

You can also just memorize descripions of a few rares, hunt for these only, and trade them for hatchlings of all other kinds. Fastest way to get your gold trophy, really.

Bring on more dragons. The more the merrier. There are way, way too many dragons mouldering away on the completed list. Personally, I want as many of them to come to life as possible, on a regular basis. . The only time I ever hunt anymore is during/right after a new release. Any other time and it drives me insane...

Edited by MedievalMystic

But guess what. Before the april release,  it had been SIX MONTHS without a new dragon release. So no we need more releases not less.

HUH ?

October 31 was only just over 6 months ago - Desipis released.

Christmas - Mistletoes.

February - Hearstealers.

These WERE new dragons smile.gif and TJ has always avoided more releases around these three holidays. (Which saddens me, but it has always been so.) We did get a November release in 2013 - want more of them biggrin.gif

More, though - the more there ARE, the less fast clickers can grab them all xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

HUH ?

October 31 was only just over 6 months ago - Desipis released.

Christmas - Mistletoes.

February - Hearstealers.

These WERE new dragons smile.gif and TJ has always avoided more releases around these three holidays. (Which saddens me, but it has always been so.) We did get a November release in 2013 - want more of them biggrin.gif

More, though - the more there ARE, the less fast clickers can grab them all xd.png

I wasn't counting holiday releases since they're not year round.

Thanks Ruby, don't really pay that much attention to those breeds.

Edited by RecycledHeart

I'm new here, but I love seeing the cave piled high with brand new dragons. The suspense while waiting for them to hatch and grow up is an amazing thing, and something I can't wait to experience again. Plus it means more pretties. xd.png

MORE dragons! Give me MORE!!! tongue.gif

I tend to add at least 120 dragons to my scroll every month, and new breeds are always welcome. A new release means more people viewing the hatcheries and more eggs dropped in the AP, both plusses for my style of play.

When new releases get too far apart, more than one month, people start losing interest and the hatcheries get stagnant, making it necessary to keep eggs and hatchling in more hatcheries, exposed for many more hours, just to get the unigue views necessary to raise them.

I prefer a new release every month. <3

As a player who has been on DC since 2009, I'm going to have to say no to less dragon updates. Like Esko and many others, I sympathize with newer players and returning players who have a lot to catch up with, but that is no reason to stop releases.

Many other adoptable sites release more breeds/kinds of species each month than we release in a year. The most we have ever released at one time is seven dragons for a birthday release. Additionally, players have pretty much forever to collect non-holiday releases after they are put in cave. Holiday drops have now all been moved to three days, so there is extra time for those too.

Trust me, if you play long enough, you appreciate the releases that do come. Frequent releases also draw more players to DC, which ensures its survival on the Internet. The worst that TJ could do is cut back on dragon releases after he has made strides to update the site to be more current.

As for the egg descriptions, I always encourage users to make a word processing document or actually write the descriptions down somewhere until they memorize them. The DC Wiki also has a handy list of all of the current egg descriptions.

Edit: Also, it seems like you have a gold trophy, which means that you can hypothetically catch all of the dragons that you need in one week as it allows you to have 21 growing things. Or you can always ask for help with getting dragons because you haven't been active. Lots of players are sympathetic and eager to breed or gift, but it's up to you to ask.

Edited by Jazeki

I think most players who have been here a while would be really upset if new releases slowed down. I'm a relatively new player (I have only played about a year and a half, if you count active time on my new scroll...because I have NO idea what my name or login for my original scroll way back when was...). Even before I got a prize, I had gotten a male and female (where applicable) CB of every singled dragon I could and a 2nd gen of all holidays other than hollies. I got some low gen hollies, low gen prizes, etc.

It IS doable. You can catch up, if that is your goal. It may take a lot of cave hunting, AP hunting (low time eggs!), or trading for hatchlings of dragons you are missing. I often cave hunt for rares I already have to trade for multiple CB hatchies of a less common breed that I want. That's a very fast way to get your scroll going. Also, focus on getting reds! An army of reds speeds the process up so much!

Personally I love new dragon updates, but this may be because I'm only collecting one of each individual sprite on drag cave.

Even though I'm not an active collector, I personally say no to this. I absolutely love new dragon releases and I wouldn't be very interested in the game if new dragons were to be introduced rarely. As others mentioned, releases are what keep the players interested; every time a new release happens, if I happen to be around, I'll actively try to get at least 2 of each of the new species that's released (whether it's just one or even multiple) to influence as a pair.