SapphireConstella

Personality Types!

Quite so, Quite so. It's a fairly uncommon type; like a rare dragon tongue.gif These tests aren't reliable, because they don't evaluate the fluctuation of personality in different circumstances, culture, company, and atmosphere, so it's normal to often have moments of more extraversion and moments of more introversion

Totally true. I'm a believer of personality being indefinite, ever changing. I've experienced this on a personal level, cultural factors influencing this greatly, I grew up between 2 different countries and being bi-lingual, I can really feel myself change depending on where I am or the language I speak. Personality in general is a super interesting topic but indeed no test will be able to fully measure who we are.

The more reliable tests can be good starting points for greater self-reflection, however. Even if they may not take into account the subtleties of life. I spent most of the last half of my life believing that I was some weird unfavorable mutation of personality before I learned that (gasp) people have different personality types. American culture is pretty ESFJ though, so I'm just here being the complete opposite of that. :/

Totally true. I'm a believer of personality being indefinite, ever changing. I've experienced this on a personal level, cultural factors influencing this greatly, I grew up between 2 different countries and being bi-lingual, I can really feel myself change depending on where I am or the language I speak. Personality in general is a super interesting topic but indeed no test will be able to fully measure who we are.

Culture definitely has an effect on personality: social restrictions, normalities, beliefs, actions. The study of the human psyche is limitless in this sense smile.gif Bother terms of OCEAN and CANOE are merely the five pinpointed traits that expand cross-culturally, but they are not the only traits we have. It was, coincidentally, my favorite chapter of my Psychology class.

That's is quite amazing though! If I may ask, what countries did you grow up in? (I have an obsession with foreign histories and languages)

Culture definitely has an effect on personality: social restrictions, normalities, beliefs, actions. The study of the human psyche is limitless in this sense smile.gif Bother terms of OCEAN and CANOE are merely the five pinpointed traits that expand cross-culturally, but they are not the only traits we have. It was, coincidentally, my favorite chapter of my Psychology class.

That's is quite amazing though! If I may ask, what countries did you grow up in? (I have an obsession with foreign histories and languages)

I recently took a psych 101 course on youtube from berkeley, it was tons of fun and a lovely intro to the subject. As to growing up, it was always between the United States and Mexico. My dad was there on a work visa for many years, I studied in USA up until my first year of high school and then moved back to Mexico for finishing up school. I would usually spend every weekend in Mexico and weekdays in the United States. This was always possible due to me living in a city near the border.

Has anybody heard of the Clifton Strengths Finder Test? There are thirty-four (34) themes of strengths. The test pick out the person's top five.

Speaking of personality and culture, this and this are interesting to look at. If you visit the country personality profile, you can even make a comparison between the country and another country. I am particularly amused that my rather obscure homeland has a profile in there.

Disclaimer: I do not know how accurate the information is though.

I'm pretty sure no one but tumblr takes these super seriously. I've only ever done them for fun like any other online questionnaire. I always get INTJ or INFJ.

I do not know exactly what you mean by taking the MBTI too seriously, but I do know that some international companies make use of the MBTI.

Quoting this article, about 80% of Fortune 100 companies rely on these types of tests to build stronger, more effective teams and healthier organizations.

Personally, I have used this at work as well. It was quite useful. (I was an INTJ department head with a mostly ESxx team.)

I got INFP, 72% Introvert, 31% Intuition, 12% Feeling, and 9% Perceiving. We took this test back in high school for a psychology class, and even back then I always got a high Introvert/Intuition score. The last two parts may have changed since then though, I'm not sure if they've always been FP, or TJ, or some other combination.

I got INTP, and I always get INTP because I always score so strongly in each category. I've taken several different tests over the years, and it's always the same. I don't know if it's healthy to score that deeply into each category, but...

user posted image

INTJ for me. I used to be INTP until my late twenties, but INTJ is more appropriate now, largely because of this:

When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

I've always tested as INFP.

INFPs focus much of their energy on an inner world dominated by intense feeling and deeply held ethics. They seek an external life that is in keeping with these values. Loyal to the people and causes important to them, INFPs can quickly spot opportunities to implement their ideals. They are curious to understand those around them, and so are accepting and flexible unless their values are threatened.

Also, see here for how each function manifests itself based on where it is in order form Dominant to Inferior.

Also, also, I'd like to point out that changing types is either really difficult or impossible, as each cognitive function takes up a different part of the brain, and the 'wiring' (so to speak) that connects it to the rest of the brain.

So if one were an ISFP, which has Fi-Se-Ni-Te, and tried using, say... Ti, it'd be harder, or near-impossible, assuming they'd not done so before and/or hadn't aged past thirty, as the first two functions don't finish developing until twenty-to-early twenties, and the Tertiary or Auxiliary don't stop until you're about middle-aged,

Feel free to correct any errors and give constructive critisism.

smile.gif

Edited by teslakana

Also, also, I'd like to point out that changing types is either really difficult or impossible, as each cognitive function takes up a different part of the brain, and the 'wiring' (so to speak) that connects it to the rest of the brain.

That's not what a brain works like at all.

There are no "left-brained" or "right-brained" people, there are no Jung-personality-type brains, and there are no distinct brain parts dedicated to each function as implied. The Jung classification is above all, still extremely arbitrary, and in terms of neuroscience, more or less considered an outdated concept. You can pretty much test differently depending on season, or be very in-the-middle, and in the end of the day, the brain is constantly rewiring itself in small ways.

They're more fun tests to take for entertainment value than something you should base your life on, or seriously describe yourself after.

For me, ESTP and INTP are about equally probable, for instance. And just as inaccurate.

For me, any personality test is inaccurate. My personality constantly changes. I become different alters, different people.(dissociative identity disorder :/) How is a test like this supposed to define any of that?

Not to mention that no matter what, there will always be traits about you that fall into an opposite category to the "answer" you get.

I think it is pointless to try and define and label your personality, your personalities aren't "ESTP, INTP" ect, ect. They're YOU.

to me, this just seems to be a test defining how analytical or introverted you are, which has no bearing on your entire personality...

it gave me INTP, which I don't agree with whatsoever, I'm often clueless, and I'm not completely socially introverted. Sometimes I want to go out and have a drink with friends, or act crazy in public (like dancing to madonna in fluorescent onesies in a skatepark), other times I'd rather just curl up with just me and my fiance and watch a movie, or read. It depends on my mood. (and when i say that, I don't mean it depending on which "alter" I am, as I speak as my antp,or "main") So you could take this test a few times in different moods, on different days, ect. and probably get different answers. :/

Or at least I have, and not as different alters but as myself. I've took this 3 times over the course of a week and got different answers each time.

Edited by Trickseh

When I first took this test, which was like 4 years ago now, I got INTJ. Today I got

ENTJ

Extravert(19%) iNtuitive(53%) Thinking(16%) Judging(66%)

You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (19%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (53%)

You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (16%)

You have distinct preference of Judging over Perceiving (66%)

Reading through the description on there, it doesn't seem to fit me. I make plans but I'm not compelled to carry them out. I just don't like not having plans and then trying to come up with things to fill my time with.

However, this section is spot on: "ENTJs are decisive. They see what needs to be done, and frequently assign roles to their fellows. Few other types can equal their ability to remain resolute in conflict, sending the valiant (and often leading the charge) into the mouth of hell. When challenged, the ENTJ may by reflex become argumentative. Alternatively (s)he may unleash an icy gaze that serves notice: the ENTJ is not one to be trifled with."

Edited by Queen Firebreath

That's not what a brain works like at all.

There are no "left-brained" or "right-brained" people, there are no Jung-personality-type brains, and there are no distinct brain parts dedicated to each function as implied. The Jung classification is above all, still extremely arbitrary, and in terms of neuroscience, more or less considered an outdated concept. You can pretty much test differently depending on season, or be very in-the-middle, and in the end of the day, the brain is constantly rewiring itself in small ways.

They're more fun tests to take for entertainment value than something you should base your life on, or seriously describe yourself after.

For me, ESTP and INTP are about equally probable, for instance. And just as inaccurate.

Alright, my mistake.

Thanks.

smile.gif

Supposedly I am ENTP, so The Doctor or Q. However the test is far from accurate, and easy to manipulate.

The unpredictable, task juggling, gets bored easily, terrifying to try to take on in many areas part sounds right.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/entp

https://www.16personalities.com/entp-personality

But the rest of it is hit or miss, I do have a goal in mind and when it comes to completing it I'll see it through to the end. I am not completely rational, and in fact am very good at sensing other people and reading emotions. The IBM test gives me a completely different personality.

Then again I appear to break Watson.

https://personality-insights-livedemo.mybluemix.net/

The only thing in common each time is high scores in Openness:

Intellect - (96-100%)

Authority Challenging (never below 90 %)

Artistic Interests (70% +)

Adventurousness (76%+)

Imagination (80-100%)

Curiosity (80-100%)

Other than that I end up with anywhere from 2%-0% (or less) Conservatism. Officially my actual conservatism ranking is .00015% from a professional evaluation.

Traditionalism is less than 9%, generally closer to 3%.

However the rest of my scores jump all over the place, sometimes it places me as an introvert and sometimes as an extrovert. However I think Watson gives a better overall evaluation of who you are at that moment in time than the MBTI.

But that's just me.