SapphireConstella

Personality Types!

This has been nagging me for a while now. I'm pretty sure that the Humanmetrics MBTI test has a bias, whether on the part of the test-maker or the test-taker, towards spitting out either INTP (if you're scatterbrained) or INTJ (if you're organized) as a result.

It would have been nice to have a poll, but I did I quick count and we have 16 INTJs in this topic! A quick google search shows that this ratio is not at all uncommon. There seems to be an over-abundance of INTJs on many different forums. Perhaps it's partly because Introverted and iNtuitives are more common on the internet for obvious reasons (which makes INTJ/Ps more visible).

However, I believe the other parts of the puzzle involve social bias towards Sensing and Feeling. (Sidenote: Feeling is a misnomer. Feeling doesn't mean decisions made from emotions, it means decisions made from values.) We are more conscious of when we're making decisions based on reason and are sometimes ashamed of decisions made from emotion. So, "Are your actions influenced by your emotions?" Most people would say no, because most people have enough sense to stop and reason. One point for T.

N (both Ni and Ne, if we're talking functions) is a whole other monster. It's hard to describe intuitive leaps and pattern sensing, and sometimes the descriptions for Ns are vague and nebulous and can apply to anyone. Big picture thinking is desirable and it is tempting to say you are someone who can see the whole. N involves analysis, which most people do, as opposed to the S's "living in the moment" stereotype, which, if you break down into functions (Si and Se respectively), deals just as much with memory and experience than it does with being gung-ho and ready for adventure.

I am not trying to discredit you if you scored INTx on the Humanmetrics test. I am here to warn you about potential bias in the results. The only person who can truly figure out your type is yourself, and I highly recommend (again) looking at cognitive functions and learn how to self-analyze instead of relying on a test. If you would like to know more, feel free to reply here or message me.

(p.s. INTJs and INTPs act completely different. There's no such thing as being uncertain if you're a J or a P since that last letter flips the whole function stack around.)

(p.p.s. We are all introverts and extroverts. We all use both sensing and intuition, and both thinking and feeling. Our type just shows our predominant features, but the others can shine depending on the situation and the mood.)

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Perhaps it's partly because Introverted and iNtuitives are more common on the internet for obvious reasons (which makes INTJ/Ps more visible).

I'm fairly confident this is the reason.

While a lot of us here are I/IN, most all of my friends, none of whom use the internet socially even a fraction of the amount of time I do, land somewhere on the E side of things.

ENFJ

Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant

biggrin.gif

I am not trying to discredit you if you scored INTx on the Humanmetrics test. I am here to warn you about potential bias in the results. The only person who can truly figure out your type is yourself, and I highly recommend (again) looking at cognitive functions and learn how to self-analyze instead of relying on a test. If you would like to know more, feel free to reply here or message me.

Hey Mage. Your post was a good read. I agree with the particular snippet that I quoted above. Most of the people who test for their MBTI for the first time have no idea about cognitive functions. Moreover, some people believe that they change types every so often, when it may be a matter of the emergence of their shadow functions.

In the end, this kind of typography is an extreme oversimplification, so it might be better off being regarded as curiosity than a determining factor of any sort. (Especially if we're talking tests - most of the questions are either somewhat ambiguous or not really applicable for everyone.) I think I've literally seen all possible letters, but presume I would fall somewhere between ESTP and ISTP, if we want to assign any letters to me.

Edited by Shienvien

Speaking of cognitive functions... does anyone have a good resource on that? I'd like to read more about it, but most of the stuff I've found either 1. starts with a condescending "if you only look at the letters and not cognitive functions then you are Wrong and don't know anything" kind of thing or 2. doesn't actually tell me anything beyond spewing a list of function stacks at my face.

Like, is there a way to tell a type's function stack without referring to a list? How are they determined?

Speaking of cognitive functions... does anyone have a good resource on that? I'd like to read more about it, but most of the stuff I've found either 1. starts with a condescending "if you only look at the letters and not cognitive functions then you are Wrong and don't know anything" kind of thing or 2. doesn't actually tell me anything beyond spewing  a list of function stacks at my face.

Like, is there  a way to tell a type's function stack without referring to a list? How are they determined?

Whoa. Those are quite harsh. Are they published articles?

To check out a type's function stack, you may go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXXX, but replace XXXX with a particular type in all capital letters (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENFP). The function stack is at the bottom of the page, right before the shadow functions.

Here is a webpage where you may read more about cognitive functions.

There are better references out there, but I hope these help.

INFP all the way.

I remember taking the Big 5 (OCEAN) test awhile ago in my psych class, but it's been awhile and I forget what I got on that.

Early this year, my psych friend introduced me to the Big Five Personality Test. I don't remember my results. Perhaps I will take it again towards the end of this year. I do remember that it was so long though.

Going back to Myers-Briggs, I think that this was a worthwhile read.

INTJ

Maybe my English skill influenced to its result but result in this time is same as I knew before.

Okay, this is a funny, but What Everyone Desperately Wishes You’d Stop Doing, Based On Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type

Do you find yours accurate? Is there another you identify with? xP

Here's mine:

INTJ: Talking to everyone like you’re a wise sage from the future, sent back in time to lecture them on the foolishness of their actions and thoughts.

I laughed for like 15 minutes when I read it yesterday. I'd have to say it's pretty darn accurate. =p

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Me;

ISFP

Introvert(81%) Sensing(38%) Feeling(25%) Perceiving(50%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (81%)

You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)

You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (25%)

You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (50%)

I'd say it's pretty accurate

Okay, this is a funny, but What Everyone Desperately Wishes You’d Stop Doing, Based On Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type

Do you find yours accurate? Is there another you identify with? xP

Here's mine:

I laughed for like 15 minutes when I read it yesterday. I'd have to say it's pretty darn accurate. =p

Lol! I got this;

ISFP: Taking everything So. Damn. Personally. (The world does not revolve around you)

But doesn't it?

I'm so confused about my personality type. I've taken the Myers-Briggs personality type test a few times throughout my teen years and have gotten very different results. When I was 12, I was an ISTP. When I was around 15 I got INTP. Fast-forward two years at 17 I get ENTP. Nowadays, I'm supposed to be an ENFP. For starters, I classify myself as an ambivert. But, setting this aside I can't really settle on what defines me best. I admit that I have changed many characteristics of my personality that I dislike throughout the years, but I had always thought personality was something fixed, and although there is a possibility of change, the essence of who someone is remains the same. This is why I have trouble with these kind of tests blink.gif

Something that might also affect my seemingly shifting personality is language, I currently speak three, two of those fluently. Personality is fluid and is capable of change depending on what language we speak. A few years ago I moved to my home country, and am therefore speaking my mother tongue, which could possibly explain my personality developing into one that demonstrates a higher degree of extroversion. On a different note, adapting to a culture with which I hadn't been in much contact with throughout my life could have caused my personality to morph so as to adapt to a "new" society. Either way, I can't help but wonder what would happen to my "personality" if I were to move back to the previous country that I lived in.

This time around, I got INFP (Introvert 9%, iNtuitive 9%, Feeling 9%, Perceiving 25%). Must have been all those "uncertain"s I put down xd.png Typically, I usually tend to fluctuate between INFP and ISFP. I've also been starting to shift towards extroversion and thinking over the years as well, though I'm a consistently solid perceiver (probably due to my procrastination habit).

Pfff, I get INTP on tests but function-wise I'm this weird jumble of stuff that makes no sense.

But yeah: "INTP: Constantly talking down to everyone, just to prove that you’ve read more books than they have." is pretty funny and accurate. Except usually when I talk down to people it's just to prove overall logical superiority, not specifically books. tongue.gif

Every time I've done one of these tests I've ended up with ENTJ, including this time lol:

ENTJ

Extravert(75%) iNtuitive(33%) Thinking(16%) Judging(44%)

You have distinct preference of Extraversion over Introversion (75%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (33%)

You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (16%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Also, so much this:

ENTJ: Constantly trying to organize everyone else’s lives and futures for them when absolutely nobody asked you to.

I have same result as I took personality test 4yrs ago.

My result is INFJ

Introvert(22%) iNtuitive(34%) Feeling(12%) Judging(53%)

You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (22%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (34%)

You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (53%)

ISTJ

Introvert(66%)  Sensing(1%)  Thinking(9%)  Judging(16%)

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (66%)

You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)

You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (9%)

You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (16%)

The "Introvert" part is rather obvious and always has been. The rest seems to have changed a little. When I took the test for the first time about 15 years ago, I was ISTJ/P, with very clear S and T, and undecided between J and P. I guess I've become more intuitive and more judging? Or I'm just answering the questions differently. I've noticed sometimes the way I act (and therefore answered in the test) is not the way I would like to act, e.g. I would like to be more rational, but I know I'm irrational sometimes. Must be the non-Vulcan genes.

Anyway, I disagree with the "stop doing this" thing! xd.png

Acting morally superior to everyone even though your moral values are stuck in the 50s at best.

I don't know if I'm acting "morally superior to everyone", but my moral values are definitely not stuck in the 50s! tongue.gif ... Unless they mean the 2050s? Because I hope by then everybody will finally agree with what I think is right. cool.gif

ISTJ: Acting morally superior to everyone even though your moral values are stuck in the 50s at best.

How did they know?! Perhaps I've developed that personality through my endeavours to keep as neutral a view on things in order to find the most morally correct answers. Who knows =p

Well, as of last evening I am now an INTJ. I actually think I like this one.

While I don't really put much coin in things such as these and prefer to reply upon the scientific method of CANOE in Psychology, these things are quite fun~

INTJ

Introvert(81%) iNtuitive(53%) Thinking(59%) Judging(59%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (81%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (53%)

You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (59%)

You have distinct preference of Judging over Perceiving (59%)

... Then again, this is the same result as I've been getting since I was 13 years old. I guess I'm a fairly consistent person.

Edit:

INTJ: Talking to everyone like you’re a wise sage from the future, sent back in time to lecture them on the foolishness of their actions and thoughts.

What are you talking about? I am a wise sage from the future. That is irritatingly foolish, mortal.

Edited by SoulFox

Well, as of last evening I am now an INTJ. I actually think I like this one.

Welcome to the land of INTJs, brethren uvu)/) Most of our members include famous literature and film villains

Welcome to the land of INTJs, brethren uvu)/) Most of our members include famous literature and film villains

I'm aware, lol. I guess that makes us all the more complex/interesting cool.gif We're also one of the more rare, if not the rarest personality types. As for myself, I tend to switch between phases of extraversion and introversion, so I'm kind of stuck in the middle of E/INTJ types.

I'm aware, lol. I guess that makes us all the more complex/interesting cool.gif We're also one of the more rare, if not the rarest personality types. As for myself, I tend to switch between phases of extraversion and introversion, so I'm kind of stuck in the middle of E/INTJ types.

Quite so, Quite so. It's a fairly uncommon type; like a rare dragon tongue.gif These tests aren't reliable, because they don't evaluate the fluctuation of personality in different circumstances, culture, company, and atmosphere, so it's normal to often have moments of more extraversion and moments of more introversion