NatPur

Dumb Ways To Die

Welcome to the Dumb Ways To Die Breeding Project

This little project is inspired by the adorable little jingle which is used to promote safety on public transport in Melbourne, Australia:

The rules are as follows:

1. Only DC drakes (Howlers, Ochre, Day/Night Glory, Greater Spotted & Glaucus) may be used, as they are by nature most likely to die in incredibly dumb ways.

2. Names must state some silly way in which the individual dragon (almost!) died. Eg; "Chased a butterfly off a cliff" or "Chewed on a hellfire's tail". These must be appropriate to the world the dragons inhabit! Something about headbutting an aeroplane for example would be unacceptable, as aeroplanes don't exist in Valkamare. Please also remember the usual naming rules and avoid anything rude.

3. Mates' names must rhyme but must also stand alone - for example, a male "Ate a hive of bees" with a female "Every day with cheese" is more of a run-on sentence. The male name is fine, but the female's doesn't quite follow the schema as it doesn't state a way she might have died. Feel free to comment for help from other members with this, it can be tough!

**Anyone can start at any time. This is a fun little project with a lot of freedom in it - checkerboards, spirals, even-gen or inbred is unimportant.**

COMPLETED

Lucky to be born, NatPur (Will breed)

PARTICIPANTS

NatPur

Leave a comment including a link to your own completed mini-project in order to add it to the list. You will be added to the "Participants" list once you have done so. Please also advise whether or not you are willing to breed the final pairing for others.

If you would like an egg from one of the participants who are willing to breed, feel free to send them a polite PM.

[if anyone has any skill at making buttons/badges, it would be fantastic if we had one for this project to put in our signatures and spread the word. You will receive all my love (ALL OF IT) for your efforts.]

Edited by NatPur

I'd like to join too once I get a couple CB drakes. smile.gif

Sure, I'll give it a go. happy.gif I'd love to add a new more Drakes to my scroll, anyway and this seems like a great way to do it!

Edited by lovecats99

Oooh yes xd.png

I would join this! Though I believe I only have a few drakes in total...yeah

Gotta see if all of them are CB

I only have a adult night glory, but and am currently searching for another. The drake is CB.

Awesome, I'm glad to have some interest! smile.gif

Anyone can participate, there is no need for approval. Go wild, my friends.

(Would you guys like me to put up a list of participants in the first post? There isn't really a need to track where eggs are going or anything, so I didn't think it would be neccesary.)

Keeping a list of participants might be useful to keep track of anyone who wants to take part in the project. So i'd recommend one. c:

Maybe in the near future we could even put up a list people can sign up for their own personal 'Dumb Ways To Die' drake, too? That is, if enough people join to keep the wishlist active.

Okeydokey, I've added a participant list. I don't see a point to adding everyone who just expresses intent to make a DWTD dragon, so everyone who actually participates will automatically go on it. Given the lack of a need to know who is doing what, it is mostly just a sign of recognition. smile.gif

Edited by NatPur

The newly released "Greater Spotted Drake" is also eligible for this project, main post updated. smile.gif

The newly released "Greater Spotted Drake" is also eligible for this project, main post updated. smile.gif

Oh well I think i've accidentally made my first pair already! (as long as they don't refuse, that is) happy.gif

Would these two count for a pair? Male - Female

Just a question would a gingersnap be allowed in a name?

for example; Stole a Magi's gingersnap

it's the only name I could think of that rhymes with Fell for a vine dragon's trap... Dx

I think that's reasonable ... I'm sure they have cookies in Valkamare.

Very cute!

If you want suggestions for other rhymes ... hmm, there are some possibilities involving "slap" or "thunderclap". Is "tree sap" poisonous?

Oh well I think i've accidentally made my first pair already! (as long as they don't refuse, that is) happy.gif

Would these two count for a pair? Male - Female

"Catapulted into the Sun" is fine, but "Oh God What Have I Done" doesn't really involve a way the dragon could have died so doesn't really follow the naming schema.

I like this! I really like this! xd.png Count me in the participants!

(also please do tell me if my names are too inappropriate)

Here are the pairs I have atm:

Auto AP'd!

#yolo much?

Careful with your juices!

I'm going to build a PB EG Day Glory Drake lineage with no generation goals in mind. If anyone wants to have a PB bred/have bloodswaps for those doing the same lineage, just PM me! biggrin.gif !

(i also bred to glaucus drakes in hopes of giving it someone who's gonna work on a GD lineage but... I forgot I was egglocked. o.o Woops.)

"mistook a campfire for a loo", "smelled another dragon's fart", "took YOLO too much to heart" and "i thought lava was orange juice" are fine, but "after getting wasted at two" and "that one time i failed to deduce" don't fit the naming schema, as they are kind of follow-on phrases rather than stand-alone ways that the dragons might have died.

"Catapulted into the Sun" is fine, but "Oh God What Have I Done" doesn't really involve a way the dragon could have died so doesn't really follow the naming schema.

Alrighty then. I'll either rename the female or capture a new one to pair up with "Catapulted into the Sun". happy.gif I've got a good idea of what this one'll be called..

I think it should be clarified in the first post that they should be standalones, rather than forming a single sentence/phrase with a mated pair. When I named them, I was looking at Kigyptnee's Dumb Ways to Die lineage and thought it was acceptable (and really awesome!). The biggest problem, I think (especially for EFLs like me), is that some of us find it hard to shorten phrases to just 32 characters, and find rhymes to go with it, and keep the humor in it. happy.gif

I altered the first post, thanks for the advice. Is it clearer now?

You're right, it is tricky to make it work with only 32 characters and I had difficulty myself though English is my native tongue. (But if it wasn't a little difficult it would be less fun, maybe? smile.gif ) That's why I think it's a good idea for us to help each other out with names when we get stuck!

Kigyptnee's baby is glorious, but is a transcription of the entire song and not quite eligible for this project as it doesn't fit the rules.

Was working on another project with Howlers and Ochres (I love how they look together!) but am now getting sidetracked by the new release ...

*Edit because I can't spell sad.gif

Edited by NatPur

Once the release ends and all my little new release wyrms grow up, I'll start working on my Dumb Ways to Die lineages again.. happy.gif I've been side-tracked for too long and its time I really work on one of these lineages.