Starscream

New Dino-bat-bird Kinda like a Dragon/wyvern

Grimace brought it up. A tiny pigeon sized dino has been discovered that has some resemblance to dragons.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/20...s-and-feathers/

It sort of brings up the thought of, did dragons exist? I believe they might have had something. Too many cultures have a dragon of sorts in it.

To me, this settles my little desire for a touch of fantasy meets science. I am happy to believe dragons, did exist, once. Millions of years ago <3

The link above it definitely has resemblance to birds. Flight is a very complicated process and I am sure it took the good mother nature ages to get it right. I would love to know where this little treasure fits in the great bird family tree. An off shoot? A missing link? A dead end?

If I had to bet, I'd bet on people just horrendously misinterpreting animals into dragons. I mean THIS is how people used to interpret crocodiles back in the day.

user posted image

That, or finding dinosaur bones and immediately making them into monsters, which just about any culture back then would have done immediately upon finding them.

Unfortunately that dino was probably a dead end, unless it somehow lost the membrane at some point. All that didn't go extinct out of the dinosaurs were the microraptors.

Super cool the thing is basically a tiny wyvern though.

I often wondered if it was simply dinosaru bones found that gave rise to 'dragons'

I often wondered if it was simply dinosaru bones found that gave rise to 'dragons'

This is what I think, but it is interesting that different cultures portrayed dragons so differently and none of those portrayals really looked identical to dinosaurs. For example, Eastern dragons - much longer, more serpentine than real dinosaurs imo. And the winged western-style dragon, where'd the wings come from?

Anddd much of dragon lore, across the world, is from periods of time far before dinosaur bones were actively being discovered. Like, it was only in the last few hundred years that we found all these dinosaur skeletons, but tales and drawings of dragons have existed far longer.

Makes me wonder.

That's a cool little fossil. I like to think of all the fossils we haven't discovered yet. Perhaps there are many tiny dinosaurs waiting under our feet

I think there are so so many yet undiscovered lines that will be short of astounding. since allw e have is a small fragment of probably countless thousands that may have walked this planet in the long long reign.

I hope somehwere, some how they'll find a dragon.

My favorite part about it is that it literally has hangbutt. The IFL Science article I read says that it probably was flightless or could only glide short distances. That's probably why, lol.

But yes. HANGBUTT WYVERN! Woot woot!

Someone needs to do a hangbutt wyvern dragon request in this dino's honor.

Someone needs to do a hangbutt wyvern dragon request in this dino's honor.

I was just thinking this. xd.png Well, not a hangbutt wyvern, but a wyvern based on this little dinosaur.

That is one ugly dragon dinosaur. xd.png I think a request in its honor would be adorable, though.

Ooh, cute! I think they did exist. That or someone saw a Dinosaur carcass near fire or near something burnt and assumed the beast breathed fire xd.png

someone saw a Dinosaur carcass near fire or near something burnt and assumed the beast breathed fire xd.png

That is actually less likely than dragons themselves existing.

Yi qi is basically a wyvern with feathers. It'd be awesome if we had a dragon here on DC based in it. Maybe like a Pygmy wyvern based on the animals.

I'd say someone finding a well-preserved pterodactyl fossil might just as well conclude "dragon".

As for various dragons being so different - that's because they were conceived separately, and only later brought together under the common denominator.

I'm a paleonerd, so I've been asquee about this thing since it was first announced. biggrin.gif and I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE a DC critter based on Yi Qi!

maybe dragons did exist... but no fire breathing...... as the quetzaquatel (or what ever it is called) was the largest flying dinosaur (as tall as a giraffe), now with something that can be that big and fly, I have no doubt that dragons could've exist but they could've been just another dinosaur..... amazing science xd.png.

maybe dragons did exist... but no fire breathing...... as the quetzaquatel (or what ever it is called) was the largest flying dinosaur (as tall as a giraffe), now with something that can be that big and fly, I have no doubt that dragons could've exist but they could've been just another dinosaur..... amazing science xd.png.

Quetzalcoatlus was a pterosaur. Very different from dinosaurs

The giant pterosaurs were infinitely lighter than a dragon would be, and thats why they could fly. Compare any dragon design anywhere to THIS.

user posted image

Pterosaurs are such cool weird creatures, I wish they were still around. I wish dinosaur movies would stop showing them as crawling on land, they moved like this.

user posted image

I was just thinking this. xd.png Well, not a hangbutt wyvern, but a wyvern based on this little dinosaur.

They totally should. They'd make cute pygmies. smile.gif

As to the Pterosaurs, I see what you mean. The pterosaur skeletons look far more similar to a bird or such than what a dragon's would be. I can only imagine, though, what people in earlier times MIGHT have made of dinosaur bones if they happened to find them. I can TOTALLY see how they might get a dragon out of them.

Edited by Silverswift